Local sports TV anchor leaving

34 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

There aren’t many good one left.  Congrats to Ashly on the new job, but the local youth will miss him.  

Ashly reported on everything from High School to little league he will be missed from that aspect but on top of that he is a world class human being and in my experience that's rare in the media world 

I’ll be very sad to see him go. Few people dedicate themselves so well to something for so long, and make it their own. You can tell he loves the local athletes, and he is easily the biggest name in sports journalism in SETX. It will be weird not having him doing the coverage. Best of luck to Ashly! 

Ashly is good people...tough to make a good living doing local news, tough to make a good living writing for the local newspaper, nearly impossible to make a good living covering local sports online..in the end everyone suffers because there's no one left to cover local sports properly

Happy for him and the students at Hardin-Jefferson ISD will benefit greatly from him being there

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

So basically, he is doing the same thing that Jackie Semien is doing.  Same position she took a few years ago with Beaumont ISD.  Congrats, Ashley, my guy!

and what Kelsey Johnson from KBMT is doing at Silsbee and Mike Canizales from KBMT is doing at Hamshire-Fannett.

11 hours ago, AshlyKBMT said:

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to the next chapter and spending more time with my family, I'll still be around a posting things on sports independently for fun. No deadlines lol. I'm just a Has Been now! 

Seriously though, local HS sports coverage in our area will suffer due to losing your coverage. We all truly appreciate the dedication you've shown over the years and we are excited for this new opportunity for you. Hopefully the next gen is ready to step up and grab the torch. If this site has taught me one thing in the past year or so, its' this, you don't know what you've got til it's gone. 

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

Seriously though, local HS sports coverage in our area will suffer due to losing your coverage. We all truly appreciate the dedication you've shown over the years and we are excited for this new opportunity for you. Hopefully the next gen is ready to step up and grab the torch. If this site has taught me one thing in the past year or so, its' this, you don't know what you've got til it's gone. 

Amen!

5 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Exactly...but I will say I didn't shed one tear when Bob West the former sports writer of the Port Arthur News retired Bob treated myself and my friends horribly.. once is a coincidence a bad day at the office, when it happens multiple times its a pattern and that happened on more than one occasion including one time where he yelled at me over the phone for my "horrible penmanship" while my wife was sitting there listening dumbfounded as to why I didn't hang up on him...I turned to her and said I was always taught to be respectful even though they're not to you and that's the last time I ever talked to or heard from Bob West again.

1 hour ago, setxathlete14 said:

Someone correct me if I'm out of line. But I guess the channel 6 guys are ok with being mediocre 

Channel 6 only has Freidman. He has been by himself since Heather left a year or so ago. Also, they only do sports reports a few days a week. Not every night.

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

She'll be missed for sure. 

409sports just became ZEROsports. Maybe they get Kerry Cooper back in the game?

Coverage in the area is going down rapidly. 

Ashly told me his job just got posted. Not sure about Saphire's.

I'm very curious to see who is hired at KBMT.