PA Announcer pet peeve

BBfan061

49 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

Just in general at a high school football game I don’t think a PA announcers job is to do play by play while the play is going on. It’s just annoying to me . 

Every PA announcer should simply attend 1 professional sporting event and focus on the PA announcer. Mimic that to the best of your ability and it would likely be great for the high school level. 

Appreciate those willing to do it, but many don't know the role and become a play by play radio announcer and it's beyond inappropriate. School officials know this and should intervene to correct it.  However, in a few situations it's a school official doing it and that individual loves the "stage."  

David Brady (Texans) and Bob Ford for the Astros do a tremendous job.  

1 hour ago, BBfan061 said:

Just in general at a high school football game I don’t think a PA announcers job is to do play by play while the play is going on. It’s just annoying to me . 

Public Address should never ever do play by.

PA job is to summarize the play after the play. Give down and distance, acknowledge the players in the play (offense, defense) and announce any penalties that were called.

PA is never ever to voice their opinion of a play, call. Just announce the facts of the play.

PA is not a radio/video broadcast. Vastly different.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

PA job is to summarize the play after the play. Give down and distance, acknowledge the players in the play (offense, defense) and announce any penalties that were called.

PA is never ever to voice their opinion of a play, call. Just announce the facts of the play.

Agree 100%

Apparently the same thing you are talking about is happening at Orangefield too.  The group I sat next to last night was like “Oh man does this guy ever take a breath. “ we got the play by play while the play was going on including the announcer calling out “ the QB fakes the ball” while the play is going on. It was hilarious.  However , the WOS announcer is very good. Like his style on the airway. 

11 minutes ago, Gametime5 said:

Apparently the same thing you are talking about is happening at Orangefield too.  The group I sat next to last night was like “Oh man does this guy ever take a breath. “ we got the play by play while the play was going on including the announcer calling out “ the QB fakes the ball” while the play is going on. It was hilarious.  However , the WOS announcer is very good. Like his style on the airway. 

A lot of folks don’t like Rod because it’s loud,he’s into it though so that’s what makes it so good!

11 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

A lot of folks don’t like Rod because it’s loud,he’s into it though so that’s what makes it so good!

Yeah I definitely like the WOS guy announcing. Loud voice, doesn’t speak while the play is going on, and then gives an accurate recap of the action (after the play is over!). Last night at Orangefield while the play is going on, in the stands we were hearing “ to the 30, to the 25, cuts back left , makes two panthers miss, now to the 20….all while the play is going on. You could hear the dude breathing in the microphone while elevating his voice yelling out the exact action while the play was going on.  He definitely doesn’t understand the difference between being an announcer and a radio analyst. His role is not the same as what Billeaud and his radio partner do for PNG. They are radio guys that do play by play. 

10 minutes ago, jimbob82 said:

Lets notarize some of the past PA announcers...I'll start  'Dub' Darby Vidor, the famous PNG not sure his name, maybe some can help us out..

Silsbee currently has a good one in Alan Sanford. He's been doing it for about 25 years now. Replaced another good one in Billy Barclay.

BISD currently has a very good one in Dave Hofferth.

I agree with all of you. I cannot stand someone overcalling the game, calling it while the play is in progress (...ITS A FAKE!!! Seriously??), and screaming into the microphone. PA guys are appreciated but just like game officials should professionally do their job but no more. Let the teams and coaches put on the show. Others should not insert themselves unnecessarily.    

12 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Agree!

10 hours ago, wo-s#1 said:

I must be getting old. Turn it down a lil bit. But I think Nederland was even louder and worse quality. Maybe they spent all the money on the heaters in the restrooms. Also the HS AV club shouldn't be like turn it all the way up. These schools should understand they don't need the entire city to hear it. That's what the drums are for. 🥁