Snapshot Day

AggiesAreWe

25 minutes ago, GATA! said:

Even with what yall say is going on, wos would be a 3a nightmare across the board.

We're not gonna drop 3a quite yet. But It will happen. As all the other areas continue growth around setx, WOS is getting left behind. New neighborhoods in OF, LC, and BC.

And then it's the same for the rest of the state compared to the triangle in general. 

10 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

We're not gonna drop 3a quite yet. But It will happen. As all the other areas continue growth around setx, WOS is getting left behind. New neighborhoods in OF, LC, and BC.

And then it's the same for the rest of the state compared to the triangle in general. 

I heard the news about Invista too. We did a lot of work in that plant. What other factors other than the insufferable hurricanes y’all have gotten caused the decline in growth. 

3 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I heard the news about Invista too. We did a lot of work in that plant. What other factors other than the insufferable hurricanes y’all have gotten caused the decline in growth. 

Imo it's been the constant flow of youth away from Orange. Kids that can get away to go to college don't come back. And if they do, they don't go back to the neighborhoods they grew up in. They buy homes in LCM, OF, or BC. It's the reason I have a classmate on the school board at OF. And several teach at other districts in OC. Many of the names I see at other schools are kids of WOS alumni. We have former players that coach at other districts in state and out. Graduates becoming HS principals, not back home where they could actually make the difference. But in more affluent areas where you can still get a steak after 9pm and pizza delivered until 3am. Comfort, convenience and job opportunities abound in places like Katy and Spring. So how many of them wanna come back to Orange to witness this small town politics that has taken over our schools? Close to none.

I can only think of one that hopefully still has a return home targeted for his future. 🤞🙏🧢

112%

21 hours ago, Gameday2 said:

United projected to drop and West Brook possibly. But UIL always seem to move numbers a little to balance out number of school in classifications. Crazy how fast some areas around the state are seeing big population growth. 

What is going to get interesting and a nightmare for alignment will be the 4A schools that are becoming more suburb town than rural and thus moving up in classifications.  To keep all 4A districts "full" may require a wider number from top to bottom enrollment. 

I am thinking there was a time when 4A (today's 5A) had some "empty" districts and some districts had first round byes.  Think this was an 80's thing.  Someone here will confirm or let me know I'm full of bovine fecal matter. 

Go look at some of the teams HF and Newton in old 3A of the 90's faced in the playoffs. One comes to mind for me of Montgomery that in the 90's was a small town and now has 2 5A schools.  Southlake Carroll was a 3A state champ in 93.  Who knows how quickly, but the state is becoming more and more uburan, thus more larger schools and issues for athletic alignment simply follow.  

I know I'm bringing up 30 plus years ago but a trend that started then with some towns is getting much more common. I know people rip on the UIL, but setting the numbers and building 32 districts per classification is a nightmare.  Especially when setting 4 regions with 3 massive population hubs (Houston metro, DFW metro, and San Antonio/Austin). 

I realize this is long, but come sit in a class I teach and I can bore you even more looking at stuff like this for hours. 

I still don't understand how hard is it to make all the divisions and districts even. My idea is for 7A to take the largest 64 teams. 8 districts with 8 teams and everyone makes the playoffs. That levels off the top of the mountain. Then have 2 divisions for 6A. That's the only way to get the gaps between top and bottom of each division closer. It's basic math not rocket science.

14 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I still don't understand how hard is it to make all the divisions and districts even. My idea is for 7A to take the largest 64 teams. 8 districts with 8 teams and everyone makes the playoffs. That levels off the top of the mountain. Then have 2 divisions for 6A. That's the only way to get the gaps between top and bottom of each division closer. It's basic math not rocket science.

That isn't a bad idea and have thought about similar things. Problem is getting the superintendents to agree to it. The UIL can only do so much. 

Much more growth in the state and we could see a 16 district 7A.  Simply give 7A a off week before playoffs and all state tournaments for other sports could include 7A on the same week. 

Playing with the numbers (meaning number of schools in those groups combined before splitting) in present 6A and 5A D1, your scenario is the only one I see that makes mathematical sense at present if you don't have empty districts in some classifications.  Not sure if the all making the playoffs is great, but the number set up could be worked with for sure. 

1 hour ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

That isn't a bad idea and have thought about similar things. Problem is getting the superintendents to agree to it. The UIL can only do so much. 

Much more growth in the state and we could see a 16 district 7A.  Simply give 7A a off week before playoffs and all state tournaments for other sports could include 7A on the same week. 

Playing with the numbers (meaning number of schools in those groups combined before splitting) in present 6A and 5A D1, your scenario is the only one I see that makes mathematical sense at present if you don't have empty districts in some classifications.  Not sure if the all making the playoffs is great, but the number set up could be worked with for sure. 

This is pretty evenly distributed based on the last alignment numbers. Somebody send this to the UIL.

7A  3185+

6AD1 2515+

6AD2 2100+

5AD1 1660+

5AD2 1090+

4AD1 690+

4AD2 460+

3AD1 354+

3AD2 260+

2AD1 187+

2AD2 121+

1AD1 72+

On 10/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, WOSdrummer99 said:

This is pretty evenly distributed based on the last alignment numbers. Somebody send this to the UIL.

7A  3185+

6AD1 2515+

6AD2 2100+

5AD1 1660+

5AD2 1090+

4AD1 690+

4AD2 460+

3AD1 354+

3AD2 260+

2AD1 187+

2AD2 121+

1AD1 72+

With this model you put I wonder what local districts would possibly look like. 

On 10/19/2023 at 10:36 PM, WOSdrummer99 said:

7A  3185+

6AD1 2515+

6AD2 2100+

5AD1 1660+

5AD2 1090+

4AD1 690+

4AD2 460+

3AD1 354+

3AD2 260+

2AD1 187+

2AD2 121+

1AD1 72+

Let's say if this was even considered to be around the numbers this time around then that will make a lot of 3A-D1 teams to move up back to 4A-D2.