Silsbee (20) @ West Orange-Stark (6) - FINAL

jdawg03

8 hours ago, americasteam22 said:

40 years that’s what I’m saying. Whatever is going on is not working. The players are there. Is WOS 2-3? Think about that, WOS is 2-3. After last season and now how can anyone think changes are not needed. They are beginning to be like every other team in this area. Good every once in a while. 

A friend and I were talking last night and he said " you and I know our football so tell me the last time the Blue&Silver lost 3 in a row? He said "cause if it's happened I don't remember. "  I didn't think it had happened, for the most part they don't lose 3 in a season.  I was wrong in my thoughts. '82 & '83 seasons.

Then came the mid to late 80s and we all know the trajectory from then on.

1 hour ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

A friend and I were talking last night and he said " you and I know our football so tell me the last time the Blue&Silver lost 3 in a row? He said "cause if it's happened I don't remember. "  I didn't think it had happened, for the most part they don't lose 3 in a season.  I was wrong in my thoughts. '82 & '83 seasons.

Last year to the same 3 teams 

Mustangs lost 3 in a row last year.

Lost to PN-G, Newton and Silsbee. Just like this year.

On 9/23/2023 at 9:41 AM, SmashMouth said:

I wanna put things in perspective. WOS was tied up 6-6 with a state title contender at the 1/2. Props to the Mustangs. I’m gonna give credit where credit is due. The Tigers are really good. They’ve got more than just Miller. There’s a whole group of young men that are next level players. Even though I was pulling for Silsbee to win, I would’ve been happy either way. Good job Tigers. Y’all beat a good team. 

WARNING: Silsbee is their own worst enemy. They have more of a chance of beating themselves, than someone else beating them. Tighten up the penalties and find some discipline. 

True about being their own worst enemy, but most of the penalties were not what I would call fragrant fouls, they were kids being a bit fired up, playing hard and overly aggressive at times. This needs improvement for sure, but most people are used to Silsbee or other  teams going over to Orange and peeing down their pants, when things get rowdy. WOS has always had that Swagger that was intimidating to opposing teams. Regardless of what the current Mustangs have going on over there, this group of Silsbee kids expected to win.

And I know WOS don't want to hear this, but Coaches that have graded film , have said the Refs were one sided on Personal foul calls, and were just terrible on everything else, on both sides. But they knew going over to their house is always tough with the Officials. 

meaning the 82 & 83 seasons  then came the upward spiral.

22 and 23 seasons then upward spiral.

it's possible .

I was told WOS is loaded with talent ,at the lower levels, and they will have some good teams in the future , but the CT Era is over. It' the new WOKE Era , for sure.  Nothing lasts forever , except funerals and Taxes.

4 hours ago, Dirty_but_Dazzling said:

meaning the 82 & 83 seasons  then came the upward spiral.

22 and 23 seasons then upward spiral.

it's possible .

It could happen. We always have talent coming up. How it will be evaluated and utilized is the question. There are certain factors that would need drastic improvement.

45 minutes ago, Who That said:

Go wacth the game and you will see wy..! Silsbee could have put up at least 3 more TD'S to add to their score if it wasn't for the ref's...! Probably the worst called game I" have ever seen.!

Not the worse imo. Silsbee did their part to cause alot of those flags. Re-call when WOS reciever was on 2 yard line, all he did was look at the Silsbee player and a flag was called. We missed out on that score would have been a possible tie game. As for those refs they are the WORSE I have seen in a long time. Not the worse game called imo.

I read that WO-S had fans/alumni jumping the fence.  Did that happen?  What was going on?  Were they upset with the coaches, the kids, the refs, or something else?  Did the game end early because of players fighting?  So, what I am reading is that the referees, coaching staffs, and security/police lost control and the game had to be stopped?  Is that a first?  What in the world was going on?  As a high school football fan, I go back a long ways to the McCarty, Hooks, and Thompson eras at WO-S and the Coach McGallion Silsbee teams of the early/mid-seventies.  None of those coaches would have had games where fans jumped the fence and referees lost control causing the game to end early.  Did that stuff really happen or am I reading this thread wrong? Thanks.

16 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

I read that WO-S had fans/alumni jumping the fence.  Did that happen?  What was going on?  Were they upset with the coaches, the kids, the refs, or something else?  Did the game end early because of players fighting?  So, what I am reading is that the referees, coaching staffs, and security/police lost control and the game had to be stopped?  Is that a first?  What in the world was going on?  As a high school football fan, I go back a long ways to the McCarty, Hooks, and Thompson eras at WO-S and the Coach McGallion Silsbee teams of the early/mid-seventies.  None of those coaches would have had games where fans jumped the fence and referees lost control causing the game to end early.  Did that stuff really happen or am I reading this thread wrong? Thanks.

The game was not stopped. Silsbee had the ball and knelt out the remaining time (knelt twice). After the 2nd kneel down the game clock (24 seconds left) was less than what the play clock (40 seconds) so Silsbee just went to the sidelines to get ready for handshake line because they did not need to run another kneel down play. On the last kneel down a WO-S player bulled his way through the line and some players took offense to that. Some pushing and shoving started. From what I saw, the WO-S coaches decided to not have their players go through the handshake line in fear that the chippiness would escalate. I completely understood that call at that time.

I cannot speak on the WO-S alumni jumping any fences. Didn't see any of that on the broadcast.

As for the officials, from watching the broadcast, there were lot's of flags thrown in this game but also there were some extracurricular going on after some plays. Got out of hand a few times.

Neither team should be happy about how some acted in this game. I saw the interview with Coach Smith afterwards and he was very unhappy with how some of his players lost their cool on several occasions during the game. Said he would definitely be addressing that the following week in practice.

36 minutes ago, 1989NDN said:

No it did not happen. The WO police department does not play like that.

AAW thank you for the summary and clarifications. Two good SETX programs with proud histories.  Good luck to Silsbee.  The Tigers have a shot to win it all this year and I hope they do.  WO-S will bounce back soon.  Too much history, tradition, and good athletes that will fight their ass off for 48 minutes to be down for too long.  All programs have down years.  WO-S will be back.