Nederland 2023

lcm93

6 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Lets keep the correct context, please. I said "in that district". That matters a lot. Last year Anahuac was athletic enough to run over the like of HJ, SA, Hardin, Kirbyville, Tarkington, and even their first round opponent Westwood if someone could simply hand off the ball. The Anahuac D would do the rest.      

Lastly, North Shore won State with a freshman QB year before last. In 6A.   

Understood. So, you named "1" example? Also, "in that district" a backup LG could not win 5 games at QB. You have no idea what you are talking about and have clearly never coached at any level. 

6 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

100%. I have heard people call it "daddy ball" before. I worked with a guy in the past that said that a lot. 

(Of course this is in NO WAY related to the excellent, excellent QB we are discussing here).  

"Daddy ball" dont put up the numbers that the Barrier kid put up. EVERY coach that reads this fully understands what the kid has done and that he is a great player. 

33 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

"Daddy ball" dont put up the numbers that the Barrier kid put up. EVERY coach that reads this fully understands what the kid has done and that he is a great player. 

Not sure you can label him a "great player" just yet.

I personally could use more sample size to make that call.

I saw him play three times last year so I have seen him play.

4 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Not sure you can label him a "great player" just yet.

I personally could use more sample size to make that call.

I saw him play three times last year so I have seen him play.

You are also savvy enough to know he was a standout player as a Freshman, with the potential to develop into a great player. That is all anyone is saying here. Any illusions that he is the next coming of Matthew Stafford are exaggerations being made by those who clearly are rooting for the kid to fail (not referring to you). Kinda pathetic if you ask me. 

11 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

You are also savvy enough to know he was a standout player as a Freshman, with the potential to develop into a great player. That is all anyone is saying here. Any illusions that he is the next coming of Matthew Stafford are exaggerations being made by those who clearly are rooting for the kid to fail (not referring to you). Kinda pathetic if you ask me. 

Never said he couldn't be a great player. I agree he has great potential. But let's don't get ahead of ourselves. I don't think its fair to him and all involved  to label him great.

Of course, one's definition of great differs from others.

7 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

Lets keep the correct context, please. I said "in that district". That matters a lot. Last year Anahuac was athletic enough to run over the like of HJ, SA, Hardin, Kirbyville, Tarkington, and even their first round opponent Westwood if someone could simply hand off the ball. The Anahuac D would do the rest.      

Lastly, North Shore won State with a freshman QB year before last. In 6A.   

When the coaching staff was meeting at the beginning of the season and contemplating expectations for the team with a freshman QB, they were not thinking "9 wins and 2nd round" and neither would any coach in Texas. They most certainly were not thinking "we can win 5 games with our backup LG at QB". 

In fact., if someone told them "you will win 9 games with a freshman QB" they would have likely went and had a party. 

Just now, AggiesAreWe said:

Never said he couldn't be a great player. I agree he has great potential. But let's don't get ahead of ourselves. I don't think its fair to him and all involved  to label him great.

Of course, one's definition of great differs from others.

"Great" for a freshman. 

Yes, he is a talented player and Anahuac had a nice season, however the topic is Nederland’s upcoming season

Again you have Barrow and staff that continues to do a poor job of coaching, so we are looking at anywhere from 2-8 to 5-5 and sitting at the house again when playoffs begin

Nederland’s administrators are not wise enough to see that the current coaching staff can’t get it done

20 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Yes, he is a talented player and Anahuac had a nice season, however the topic is Nederland’s upcoming season

Again you have Barrow and staff that continues to do a poor job of coaching, so we are looking at anywhere from 2-8 to 5-5 and sitting at the house again when playoffs begin

Nederland’s administrators are not wise enough to see that the current coaching staff can’t get it done

I think coaching is a small part of it a big part of it is our Jimmy and Joe's aren't as good as in years past 

1 hour ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

I think coaching is a small part of it a big part of it is our Jimmy and Joe's aren't as good as in years past 

Nederland has always done the best  when the best athletes play multiple sports and found a way to make all the practices. This whole culture in the Athletic department is broken and specializing in one sport is not panning out. Time to get back to hitting the weight room before or after school mandatory and not making weight workouts optional on your own time or when you do workout they are going on the coaches whistle what is what athletes described. Time to make the athletes run track mandatory in the spring after school if they aren’t in a spring sport, if you aren’t working on your form you are hurting yourself and the team. The BULDOG WAY has lost its self and mojo and need to get back to what it was years ago and holding coaches and players accountable starting at the top. 

But that’s just my IMO. 

2 hours ago, spidersal said:

Must be doing something right with all this chatter about him still on a nederland thread. Don’t hear any chatter about any other freshman QBs in the area.   And as far as the talk about the coach   Man oh man.  Y’all folks are something else. I would like to wish all the luck to nederland football in the upcoming years.  

22 minutes ago, forREALtho said:

Must be doing something right with all this chatter about him still on a nederland thread. Don’t hear any chatter about any other freshman QBs in the area.   And as far as the talk about the coach   Man oh man.  Y’all folks are something else. I would like to wish all the luck to nederland football in the upcoming years.  

It is a shame a few haters get on this site and go on and on. They must be miserable and want everyone around them to be miserable.  

5 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Nederland has always done the best  when the best athletes play multiple sports and found a way to make all the practices. This whole culture in the Athletic department is broken and specializing in one sport is not panning out. Time to get back to hitting the weight room before or after school mandatory and not making weight workouts optional on your own time or when you do workout they are going on the coaches whistle what is what athletes described. Time to make the athletes run track mandatory in the spring after school if they aren’t in a spring sport, if you aren’t working on your form you are hurting yourself and the team. The BULDOG WAY has lost its self and mojo and need to get back to what it was years ago and holding coaches and players accountable starting at the top. 

But that’s just my IMO. 

We haven't had a big play WR since Kyndon Fuselier graduated...back in the 90s we usually had a senior rb, junior fb,  big play wr, good qb play,  and tough defense we don't have that anymore sadly.

51 minutes ago, dme1111 said:

The problem starts at the top.  Barrow can not keep kids in the program. He has lost the hearts of his kids.  The problem starts at Barrow.  We need new leadership from AD on down.  

I have heard the same thing for coaching regimes one year and then the next year everyone is praising the same regime. Some of the best coaching jobs are done during losing seasons. 

50 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

I have heard the same thing for coaching regimes one year and then the next year everyone is praising the same regime. Some of the best coaching jobs are done during losing seasons. 

Anything's possible.  But that's in the minority of the cases.  

BTW -- you seen what a coaching change did for PNG.  Same type of kids -- DIFFERENT coach!

16 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

They most certainly were not thinking "we can win 5 games with our backup LG at QB".  

Of course not! It was CLEARLY an illustration that Anahuac could simply overpower half their opponents by just running the ball and playing defense. I even listed the ones I thought. Do you really think a Hardin or a Tarkington would beat Anahuac if Anahuac played their LG at QB?? Seriously?  

Geeze, relax, take a breath. Its nothing more than a discussion, that's all!   

15 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

We haven't had a big play WR since Kyndon Fuselier graduated...back in the 90s we usually had a senior rb, junior fb,  big play wr, good qb play,  and tough defense we don't have that anymore sadly.

What year was Jake Askew? 

18 hours ago, NHSBulldogFan said:

Defense doesn’t tackle during practice anymore… But we had a very good sophomore running back this past season that put a hurting on PA in Thomas. I look for him to have a big JR  season. WR play was subpar last season. 

5 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Defense doesn’t tackle during practice anymore… But we had a very good sophomore running back this past season that put a hurting on PA in Thomas. I look for him to have a big JR  season. WR play was subpar last season. 

I believe he had 12 carries for 170yds with 2 TDs both of which were from at least 60+yds out. Speedster! 💪🏾

50 minutes ago, navydawg31 said:

Hubert was one of the few bright spots for Nederland in 2022