West Brook's Flanigan Placed on Administrative Leave

WOSgrad

14 minutes ago, Go-rilla said:

why would I say that:

1. I've actually talked to both coaches and heard the horror stories they tell about their admin.

2. When they do finally have a season to be proud of they publicly humiliate them.

3. This has been handled so badly kids had no chance today

both coaches should toss keys on table and run!

1.  I can vouch that Foreman has had some issues with various Administrators...

2.  His 1st year was his best year which he finished with a 7-3 regular before losing to a good Summer Creek team.  I don't know how he was publicly humiliated...

3.  If the keys are thrown on the table, they won't be there too long.  Someone is already waiting that "wants" to be there...

Just stating facts! 

My question is are you part of Beaumont isd admin?? If so why could y'all not wait till your team was done to reprimand the coach.

flanagan took team at Crosby to playoffs and orangefield to playoffs.

foreman is doing what every other coach at central does, makes playoffs and get beat.

24 minutes ago, Go-rilla said:

Just stating facts! 

My question is are you part of Beaumont isd admin?? If so why could y'all not wait till your team was done to reprimand the coach.

flanagan took team at Crosby to playoffs and orangefield to playoffs.

foreman is doing what every other coach at central does, makes playoffs and get beat.

No, I'm not a part of BISD administration or coaching staff, that would be a serious pay cut.

Just say if Flannigan had done this but wasn't suspended this week and they beat Westfield today.  Then after the win, all of this drama comes out.  It would have looked even worse on the school district.  So pending investigation, regardless of my personal thoughts, they did the proper thing.  They were nit going to beat Westfield, even with him on the sidelines...

Foreman is 23-17 in the regular season, 0-4 in the playoffs and 0-4 against West Brook.  No state titles by the school in football, but you may want to do a fact check 1st on playoff history...

21 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

1.  I can vouch that Foreman has had some issues with various Administrators...

2.  His 1st year was his best year which he finished with a 7-3 regular before losing to a good Summer Creek team.  I don't know how he was publicly humiliated...

3.  If the keys are thrown on the table, they won't be there too long.  Someone is already waiting that "wants" to be there...

Correction on my own part.  Foreman's 2nd year of 7-3 was his best, which ended with an embarrassing loss to CE King...

25 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

No, I'm not a part of BISD administration or coaching staff, that would be a serious pay cut.

Just say if Flannigan had done this but wasn't suspended this week and they beat Westfield today.  Then after the win, all of this drama comes out.  It would have looked even worse on the school district.  So pending investigation, regardless of my personal thoughts, they did the proper thing.  They were nit going to beat Westfield, even with him on the sidelines...

Foreman is 23-17 in the regular season, 0-4 in the playoffs and 0-4 against West Brook.  No state titles by the school in football, but you may want to do a fact check 1st on playoff history...

Great post!

I do see both sides of this argument as having valid points. The thing that I think people overlook with all three high schools in Beaumont is that there is not a real jr high program in Beaumont. The kids can basically go where they please. You will not have much success in the regular season or in the playoffs with that set up I don't care how good of a coach you are! Both coaches have done a pretty good job under the current circumstances surrounding them. Another thing I don't think people realize is how hard it probably is to get coaches to come to BISD. If you do want to talk history though here is a little history on both coaches and both programs that they run. First Flanigan, who has made the playoffs 3 of his 5 years at WB. This year he equalled the schools most win total in a single year in school history which was 11. He went three rounds in the playoffs which has happened only 3 times in 20 years. Ironically his record going into this season was 22-22 with zero playoff wins and many on here and in the community wanted him gone. The funny thing is they still do. Now Foreman who inherited a 5-15 program over the two years Pryor to his arrival. He has a 20-8 overall district record and finished as district co-champs in 2014 which has only happened four other times in schools history. He also is the only Coach at not only Central, but also French, BCP, CP, and Beaumont High, to make the playoffs four total times. The only coaches in the HISTORY of Beaumont Texas to make the playoffs four consecutive years are Alex Durley, Arthur Louis, Jerry Hentschel, Craig Stump, and Toby Foreman. People on this board wanted him gone the day he was hired and they still do. Also Central hasn't beaten WB since 2003. That was 5 coaches ago: Foreman, Washington, Jackson, and Stowers were all 0fer vs WB! You must know where you have been to understand where you are going! You can find negatives about both these guys, but under the current circumstances and state of BISD you are very lucky to have coaches that want to work here and conduct programs at a high level as they do. 

23 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

Rob, what are you talking about?  you have no idea if this is a BISD deal or something that Coach Flanigan did.  I know you're upset about the past events that the district pulled, but this issue may be all on the coach.  

Coach Flanigan is a prominent employee of BISD.  Therefore, it is a BISD deal, if in fact there was actually a wrongful act.  And you posted earlier something to the effect of, How would they know when the cameras were on?   I'd think you could tell if you looked at the recordings.

As I understand it, from looking at this thread, it has yet to be determined if there was actually an unlawful act.  But IF the coach repeatedly reported this to someone(s) higher up, and nothing was done, then maybe there should be more folks on administrative leave.  Also, regardless of the legality of what the coach did, anyone involved in NOT addressing the stealing should be held accountable.  And understand, that would be my opinion regardless of what school district it happened in, Beaumont, Evadale, Vidor, Nederland, it doesn't matter.  All that said, I sincerely hope all this ends up being a big to do about nothing, except catching a thief.

Ok I am not sure of the law on cameras but I would think there would definitely be legal issues with placing cameras in a locker room full of minors. The school district definitely had to take a stance there.  I know as a parent I would have major issues with this.  Doesn't matter what is said about when they are turned on or off, it's just that what is said.

The school district is definitely at fault in my eyes as to have having no response when they were told the thievery was occurring.  

I can definitely see dismissal of the coach especially if the camera locations are illegal.

2 hours ago, ST413 said:

Ok I am not sure of the law on cameras but I would think there would definitely be legal issues with placing cameras in a locker room full of minors. The school district definitely had to take a stance there.  I know as a parent I would have major issues with this.  Doesn't matter what is said about when they are turned on or off, it's just that what is said.

The school district is definitely at fault in my eyes as to have having no response when they were told the thievery was occurring.  

I can definitely see dismissal of the coach especially if the camera locations are illegal.

Agree

21 hours ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

One coach was run off for subparagraph performances from a school from a neighboring school district and the other is only here because he couldn't get a job at the school he graduated years ago and when the old coach retires, he STILL won't get the job.  So who cares what they say. I would say they didn't have to take the job, but they probably had one option at that time.  

...but that ain't non of my business.

I've mostly just read what's been said here as I'm a newbie on this board and don't live near most of the schools discussed.  But, for someone who supports the district, this in awful thing to say about two coaches trying to do their best to provide a great learning environment to their young charges, teach them life lessons and in the process help them win a few games.  Coaches aren't perfect people, but mostly they try to do their best and their personal life should be out of bounds.

Unfortunately it's the world we live in. The "criminals" have more protection than the "police". There are just certain things we cannot do.

Was coach wrong? 

Legally? Probably. Do not think for one minute that a criminal does not know where cameras can and cannot be. That's why most illegal transactions take place in the high school bathrooms. However, we have to protect the privacy of  ALL students and shield them from the other criminals that prey on their vulnerability in "private" spaces.

Morally? Not one bit. He wanted to protect his athletes and their property. 

Should he be fired? No. IMO he should receive a reprimand and further training in this area.

Finally. I am glad he caught the little turd that was stealing. Weather the charges stick now or not, at least he has been brought into the light.

32 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Let's put the big what if out there.  What if your child had been filmed undressed by the camera and someone else got ahold of the pic and it was plaved online.  Would that change your mind in what the coach was doing?  Now I grant you I would want the thief caught but not sure in this way.

Oh, It was a terrible idea. 

On 11/27/2016 at 10:25 PM, Go-rilla said:

why would I say that:

1. I've actually talked to both coaches and heard the horror stories they tell about their admin.

2. When they do finally have a season to be proud of they publicly humiliate them.

3. This has been handled so badly kids had no chance today

both coaches should toss keys on table and run!

I really could care less about this situation but reading this entire post is just down right funny. Its originally about West Brooks coach making a bad decision. for whatever reason he did what he did is all on him. I agree something should have been done on the district level to deter some of the theft but...... but its funny how this becomes a BISD scandal or how coach foreman is brought into the conversation.  Im sure all coaches have had their run ins with the administration but for them to tell you in confidence and then for you to post that on a public forum sure looks good on the part of everyone mentioned.  as a head coach its your obligation to uphold the best interest of the district. Sure we all know BISD has some problems but its not wise for any employee to bash their employer . With this post seems like you dont want either of these coaches to be successful yourself!!!!  it a public forum and Im sure the people that are in charge of BISD lurk here as well.

It is an unfortunate situation. Coach Flanigan is a quality guy, as well as a quality coach. What he did was wrong and he should have been able to realize that before making that mistake. There are other way to go about catching a thief (I'm assuming whoever did it will get a just punishment, not just involving the school, but the law). However, I hope this does not cost him his job. The intent was obvious, and it was not malicious. 

Before anybody says it, I know players change in the locker room, and no, I wouldn't want my child on camera changing. But, I also can see where his heart and intentions were, and would hope to see his job spared.

3 hours ago, ST413 said:

Let's put the big what if out there.  What if your child had been filmed undressed by the camera and someone else got ahold of the pic and it was plaved online.  Would that change your mind in what the coach was doing?  Now I grant you I would want the thief caught but not sure in this way.

From what I have read, he reported it to the BISD and they had taken no action.  Maybe if they had got on the ball and done something, the coach would not have had to resort to setting up a camera to catch the thief.  Seems like there is culpability with them as well.

Again, most of us don't know all the facts, and certainly not the legal aspects.  An earlier post said the camera was only turned on when no one was suppose to be in the locker room.  If that's the case, and my son was on the team, on a personal level, I wouldn't have a problem with what the coach did.

Coach obviously may have violated a rule. It's a slippery slope in my opinion. Yes I want to protect All kids under All circumstances, but at what point do you untie my hands as a Teacher/Coach? Kids trust me and look to me for instruction/guidance on & off the field. They want answers to why their things are being stolen. If I sat back & did nothing, the kids & parents of the kids are placing me at fault. Again, untie my hands. Maybe the Coach should have allowed the kids to just Whoop his Thieving Arse. SMH.   Can't have it both ways.  If it were my kid stealing, I would thank the Coach now because he caught him early in his criminal activity before it truly gets out of hand & it ruins his life or gets him killed. Can't blame it on the Camera then. This is such BS it turns my Stomach.