4A D2 State Final Bellville vs Gilmer

BBfan061

I’m curious what people think about this one… polar opposite offensive styles… a lot of speed on that Gilmer offense. Figured on this message board I could get some less bias opinion and outlooks than on Smoaky… my brain hurts trying to have reasonable football discussions on that board.

45 minutes ago, BBfan061 said:

I’m curious what people think about this one… polar opposite offensive styles… a lot of speed on that Gilmer offense. Figured on this message board I could get some less bias opinion and outlooks than on Smoaky… my brain hurts trying to have reasonable football discussions on that board.

It's impossible to have a conversation over there!!!

Bellville is going into this game with the #1 scoring offense and the #1 defense in points allowed. Gilmer is right behind them coming in at #2 in scoring offense. Gilmer’s defense is their weak spot. “If” Bellville's offense can take advantage of Gilmer’s defense, and wear them down pounding the rock, (which they’ve done extremely well all year long) Bellville's defense will be key to winning this game. “If” they show up playing like the #1 defense they’ve been all year. (And I’m sure they will because I’ve talked to a few of the players, and they assured me they are ready!) They will physically wear Gilmer down and make all the jabber mouths on Smoaky eat their words. Everyone knows #99 DJ Sanders name by now and if they don’t, they will Friday but I rarely hear #25 mentioned Conner Gains. He leads the team in tackles, he’s also their punter, that’s done a great job pinning opposing offenses back when they’ve had to punt. If you’ve been to any of the games you’ve heard his name a lot. The kid has a motor and a nack for tracking down the ball and he is relentless when he dials in. Defense wins championships….. and Bellville clearly has the better D. 🤷🏻‍♂️

Gilmer’s schedule is the 2nd toughest (based on opponents’ record) and the 4th toughest (based on opponents’ power rating) in Class 4A-II according to PigskinPrep.com

Gilmer’s three losses were to Chapel Hill, Kilgore and Texarkana Pleasant Grove; teams with a combined record of 37-5. Chapel Hill is playing in the 4A D-I State Championship game

Bellville's schedule is the 24th toughest (based on opponents’ record) and the 32nd toughest (based on opponents’ power rating) in Class 4A-II according to PigskinPrep.com

Bellville's first 11 games were against teams with a losing record.

In contrast; look at Gilmer's schedule. Only 5 opponents with losing records and 10 with winning records. Our opponents combined record is 101-62 while Bellville's opponents combined record is 73-81

7 hours ago, BigBrother said:

Gilmer’s schedule is the 2nd toughest (based on opponents’ record) and the 4th toughest (based on opponents’ power rating) in Class 4A-II according to PigskinPrep.com

Gilmer’s three losses were to Chapel Hill, Kilgore and Texarkana Pleasant Grove; teams with a combined record of 37-5. Chapel Hill is playing in the 4A D-I State Championship game

Bellville's schedule is the 24th toughest (based on opponents’ record) and the 32nd toughest (based on opponents’ power rating) in Class 4A-II according to PigskinPrep.com

In contrast; look at Gilmer's schedule. Only 5 opponents with losing records and 10 with winning records. Our opponents combined record is 101-62 while Bellville's opponents combined record is 73-81

So what does all of that mean?

8 hours ago, BigBrother said:

Excellent points. Been hearing similar logic on a weekly basis. It has not helped any opponent so far. Gilmer has been ran off the field in multiple games and the defense is giving up 37 points per game in the playoffs. Gilmer is going to face Bellville on Friday just like the rest of the teams who “played a tougher schedule”. 

9 minutes ago, lostaussie said:

Is it not ok for Gilmer to be as confident of their team as Bellville is of theirs? 

Are you indicating that “it is not ok for Bellville to be as confident of their team as Gilmer is of theirs”? 

It is fairly common for Gilmer folks to gnash their teeth when someone thinks Bellville has a chance.

I will say this. We are not where I expected after the 1st night of the season when I watched Chapel Hill destroy us. The motto of this team this year is a word that I use every day at my work. I work for a Japanese company and I hear the word "Kaizen" every single day. That means "continuous improvement ". That is the battle cry of the Buckeyes and for this season it couldn't be more fitting. They have gotten better and more confident as the season has gone on. That is a testament to the players and coaching staff. They believe in themselves and now they have the whole town believing.  We will all see how it turns out on Friday.