West Brook's Flanigan Placed on Administrative Leave

WOSgrad

Is there somewhere that I can go to get the "entire story".  Was the thief stealing during practices, during games while team was on the field, was it electronics, clothes?  And - was it not an option to ask a parent, trainer or student to stay behind in the locker room as a look out instead of resorting to installing a camera? 

On 11/27/2016 at 1:20 AM, setxguru said:

I do see both sides of this argument as having valid points. The thing that I think people overlook with all three high schools in Beaumont is that there is not a real jr high program in Beaumont. The kids can basically go where they please. You will not have much success in the regular season or in the playoffs with that set up I don't care how good of a coach you are! Both coaches have done a pretty good job under the current circumstances surrounding them. Another thing I don't think people realize is how hard it probably is to get coaches to come to BISD. If you do want to talk history though here is a little history on both coaches and both programs that they run. First Flanigan, who has made the playoffs 3 of his 5 years at WB. This year he equalled the schools most win total in a single year in school history which was 11. He went three rounds in the playoffs which has happened only 3 times in 20 years. Ironically his record going into this season was 22-22 with zero playoff wins and many on here and in the community wanted him gone. The funny thing is they still do. Now Foreman who inherited a 5-15 program over the two years Pryor to his arrival. He has a 20-8 overall district record and finished as district co-champs in 2014 which has only happened four other times in schools history. He also is the only Coach at not only Central, but also French, BCP, CP, and Beaumont High, to make the playoffs four total times. The only coaches in the HISTORY of Beaumont Texas to make the playoffs four consecutive years are Alex Durley, Arthur Louis, Jerry Hentschel, Craig Stump, and Toby Foreman. People on this board wanted him gone the day he was hired and they still do. Also Central hasn't beaten WB since 2003. That was 5 coaches ago: Foreman, Washington, Jackson, and Stowers were all 0fer vs WB! You must know where you have been to understand where you are going! You can find negatives about both these guys, but under the current circumstances and state of BISD you are very lucky to have coaches that want to work here and conduct programs at a high level as they do. 

Can't mention Flannigan and Durley in the same breath. We are sending four teams to the playoffs. Some divisions only have 5 teams. Ridiculous!

I agree that there was a better scenario that could have played out than installing camera's.  I think his intentions were good but obviously not thought thru.  For the most part all I hear is blaming Flannigan.  I hope if the story I am reading is true that he told administrators and nothing was done that someone else gets put on leave besides just Flannigan and is reprimanded.  

Give the guy his punishment & move forward. I have no problem with blame being placed when the rules are already in place. Now on an athletic note: I've read so much of how some felt of his lackluster Coaching Ability. He has had a great season with a young QB running the offense. He gets paid to Coach Football, the counseling & locker room security goes with the territory. So I ask, when does the community rally to support the Teacher/Coach? Or does he deserve support? 

3 hours ago, Bigcam2903 said:

Coach obviously may have violated a rule. It's a slippery slope in my opinion. Yes I want to protect All kids under All circumstances, but at what point do you untie my hands as a Teacher/Coach? Kids trust me and look to me for instruction/guidance on & off the field. They want answers to why their things are being stolen. If I sat back & did nothing, the kids & parents of the kids are placing me at fault. Again, untie my hands. Maybe the Coach should have allowed the kids to just Whoop his Thieving Arse. SMH.   Can't have it both ways.  If it were my kid stealing, I would thank the Coach now because he caught him early in his criminal activity before it truly gets out of hand & it ruins his life or gets him killed. Can't blame it on the Camera then. This is such BS it turns my Stomach. 

From what I've read, heard and seen in different forms of social media, the majority of the parents that have kids in his program support him.  I feel rightfully so.  It's the one's that don't have kids on the team, never even been to a West Brook football game or any other extracurricular activity or simply don't like him that want to crucify him...

19 hours ago, Barney Fife said:

I really could care less about this situation but reading this entire post is just down right funny. Its originally about West Brooks coach making a bad decision. for whatever reason he did what he did is all on him. I agree something should have been done on the district level to deter some of the theft but...... but its funny how this becomes a BISD scandal or how coach foreman is brought into the conversation.  Im sure all coaches have had their run ins with the administration but for them to tell you in confidence and then for you to post that on a public forum sure looks good on the part of everyone mentioned.  as a head coach its your obligation to uphold the best interest of the district. Sure we all know BISD has some problems but its not wise for any employee to bash their employer . With this post seems like you dont want either of these coaches to be successful yourself!!!!  it a public forum and Im sure the people that are in charge of BISD lurk here as well.

I agree this form as gotten way off base, I do wonder what makes BMT SOULJA1 the expert in everything? I am from BMT and  hope

to see all BMT schools successful not just 1 or 2. maybe that is the problem with BISD there is to many it's about my kid or

we go play somewhere else verses doing what is best for the team ( like they do in vidor, Ned, PNG, WOS ,etc) .  Maybe BMT SOULJA1 can explain he seems to know everything...

Ok, here's my opinion.  Not facts, just opinions based on things I've seen and read.

First, I've read someplace that Coach Flannigan had already talked to admin about the problem AND had a particular kid that he suspected of being the thief.  I can't verify this,and I don't know those to be facts.  I'm curious if he had actually already ID'd the thief and the school declined to do anything based on a "lack of evidence."

Second, not just any kid has access to the locker room.  For a kid to be hanging around AFTER school and not totally out-of-place by entering the locker room, you have to assume that the kid was either an athlete or a child of a teacher or admin.  It's no like some stoner could repeatedly wonder in off of the parking lot and start grabbing stuff. 

I recall the same situation a few years ago in Woodville.  Somebody was stealing from the athletes's lockers and it eventually turned out to be one of the coaches' younger kids.  

I'm really curious to see whether or not it turns out to be a kid that is somehow connected (and protected) by admin over there.

Once again, just an opinion, not facts.  

6 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Ok, here's my opinion.  Not facts, just opinions based on things I've seen and read.

First, I've read someplace that Coach Flannigan had already talked to admin about the problem AND had a particular kid that he suspected of being the thief.  I can't verify this,and I don't know those to be facts.  I'm curious if he had actually already ID'd the thief and the school declined to do anything based on a "lack of evidence."

Second, not just any kid has access to the locker room.  For a kid to be hanging around AFTER school and not totally out-of-place by entering the locker room, you have to assume that the kid was either an athlete or a child of a teacher or admin.  It's no like some stoner could repeatedly wonder in off of the parking lot and start grabbing stuff. 

I recall the same situation a few years ago in Woodville.  Somebody was stealing from the athletes's lockers and it eventually turned out to be one of the coaches' younger kids.  

I'm really curious to see whether or not it turns out to be a kid that is somehow connected (and protected) by admin over there.

Good post, and another real possibility.   

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

CB, nail on the head!!! It's my understanding that this kid is "connected".

1 hour ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

It's funny SOME of the football parants are taking a stance for him...  probably trying to make sure lottle Johnny stays starting or keeps getting significant playing time, vs. the OBVIOUS wrong...

I have a son that plays varsity football and trust me I WOULDN'T be ok with this...

I'll say this and you may think I'm crazy buddy but if this same scenario was taking place at Central, where I have 2 boys in the program, I'd be taking a stance with coach TF.  Regardless if my boys had any valuables taken or not.  Not that I am trying to get playing time for my boys, because I believe they will get what they earn.  In my opinion it was done out of true love and caring about his players and their personal items with no malicious intent.  So if it did happen across town, I'd be one taking a stance with the coach... 

2 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

I'll say this and you may think I'm crazy buddy but if this same scenario was taking place at Central, where I have 2 boys in the program, I'd be taking a stance with coach TF.  Regardless if my boys had any valuables taken or not.  Not that I am trying to get playing time for my boys, because I believe they will get what they earn.  In my opinion it was done out of true love and caring about his players and their personal items with no malicious intent.  So if it did happen across town, I'd be one taking a stance with the coach... 

AMEN!!!

52 minutes ago, JustUs said:

FYI.. WWW.SETXPOLITICALREVIEW.COM  "TOP STORY" sheds another set of views/facts-worth reading...Listed under Just another day in Jefferson County....

I don't know.  Hey Gabe, have you ever published a piece based on information which was gather from "a friend of a friend?"

This is one of those cases where maybe 2 wrongs do make a right. How many times has a criminal who takes advantage of children or elderly gone to jail and got their arse whipped or worse?  I don't know anyone who feels sympathy for or sides with the predator who got his arse beat in jail.  It's just the only way justice can be served at times. By whatever means necessary. I support the coach's intentions. His heart is in the right place. He made a mistake. Let's not crucify him for it. 

22 minutes ago, BMTSoulja1 said:

For those who have a hard time understanding and others who agree with ANYTHING, installing hidden cameras where boys are undressing and dressing is not right.  I bet your think differently if the guy installed hidden cameras in the girl's locker room.  

Of course I would think differently if he put cameras in a girls locker room, your right.

But if a female coach we to put cameras in a girls locker room for the same reason, that would be different.

4 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Of course I would think differently if he put cameras in a girls locker room, your right.

But if a female coach we to put cameras in a girls locker room for the same reason, that would be different.

Siiigh....  so there's a difference...  last I seen, recording half naked teenagers, any sex was a no no. glad to know there's different parameters...

On 11/27/2016 at 7:20 PM, jbarrett said:

I offer prayers, a ride to church (even the use of my extra Bible)...and all you have to offer are insults and calloused rhetoric. "You can't live with hate in your heart!" Even the good people at the "Appomattox Club" know that! And all God's people say... Amen!

Enough.  Stay on topic.

7 minutes ago, Jag Insider said:

When that happens, then we'll discuss it.  Until then, it was boys.  I have 2 daughters that will soon be at Central that play volleyball, basketball, softball and track, so they will be in locker rooms.  I didn't say anywhere in my previous post that it was right or wrong.  I said I would stand by TF if this would have happened at Central in the fieldhouse (thank God it didn't).  So I don't knock any of the parents that are supporting him at West Brook.  That's their God given right to choose whichever side of the line they want to stand on.   There is a difference if he would have installed that camera for his own personal gratification and to not catch a thief.  No malicious intent here.  He'll be coaching the Bruins next year.    

You can bet your bottom dollar that after this, not another coach, teacher or administrator will even think about installing a camera anywhere without going through the proper channels now in BISD...

Intent don't matter is what I'm saying.  suppose part of that video was taken and it leaked online?  

And I know everyone has a right to their opinion, and I'm cool with that.  I'm just in awe with parents that try to make sure their kids are safe and in the safest situation (our job as parents) ,but will be ok with our kids being SECRETLY recorded.  It just baffles me and in no way would I be cool with this at all..  

He don't need to be 'crucified' but he needs to be reprimanded...