Disney World Releases Statement Critical Of PNG’s Orlando Performance!

tvc184

38 minutes ago, Aggie521 said:

This is incorrect. They’ve performed the fight song every year they’ve been for the past 15-20 years or so. Wore the headdresses every time. Headdresses were also in the audition tape worn by drum majors. Disney is flat-out lying and trying to save face by throwing PNG under the bus. 

Well, the audition video is out there.  Apparently, the news media has it.  I guess we’ll see when it comes available…

Let me clear a little up.

Cherokee is only done at the END of the parade route. Another song is played during the parade. The year my daughter went,  I think it was Yellow Rose of Texas or something like that. Us parents gather at the END of the parade, around the circle, and they play Cherokee for us. We've gotten comments on how great it was. 

13 minutes ago, NDNation said:

Let me clear a little up.

Cherokee is only done at the END of the parade route. Another song is played during the parade. The year my daughter went,  I think it was Yellow Rose of Texas or something like that. Us parents gather at the END of the parade, around the circle, and they play Cherokee for us. We've gotten comments on how great it was. 

Apparently the great comments did not come from the Cherokee chief. 

Here is my take....

If PNG was called the Nazi's and had a guy dress up like Hitler for the mascot, people would assume PNG is racist and supports and worships Nazism and Hitler.  

If PNG was called the Confederate's and had a guy dress up like a confederate solider for the mascot, people would assume PNG is racist and supports Jim Crow laws and stuff.....

But if we insert Indians it's racist and disrespectful.......

How do you buy that with a straight face? Who in the heck would support or dress up for someone they disrespected?  I bet you if I wore a confederate flag t-shirt to a Port Arthur football game, I bet not ONE person would think I was disrespecting the Confederate flag, people or tradition.........

So while PNG was always a rival in football,  and my High School (TJ) was taken away from me......I have to say PNG has the coolest mascot and fight song I have ever seen.......

I believe the motto is "Honor - Tradition - Pride".........How is that disrespectful? 

It's always funny to me when a bunch of old white men get together and criticize another race/culture for being wrong about believing something.  Personally, I don't have an issue with the idea of an Indian being a mascot, but then again, I'm not Native American.  The fact that so many people on here are pretending to not know that the term Indian is considered offensive by many Native Americans is pretty laughable.  It's also not difficult to understand why native americans would have an issue with an Indian mascot miming scalping.  If there was a high school mascot called the White Men, it wouldn't be offensive, but if during their fight song the white man mascot pantomimed hanging black men, it would be pretty offensive (mostly to white men).   I feel like the conversation on here would be pretty different.  

All that being said, I feel like this is a situation where something that is probably minorly offensive to some native americans is being blown way out of proportion by the woke left and media.  Both sides are wrong here: the folks with the "it's always been this way" or the "Native Americans shouldn't care how we portray Native Americans" points of view, and also the woke side who's exploiting the situation for political gain, or getting worked up without having any dog in the fight.  

For me personally, if I were doing anything at all that portrayed someone from another race or culture in a way that led parts of that group to claim it was offensive, I would stop doing it.  It seems amazingly selfish to continue the behavior for your own edification.  It's kind of an ironic deal that some Native Americans don't like the portrayal of themselves, and a community of white people refuses to change because of "culture and tradition."  

2 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

new chiefs words

“offensive imagery, chanting, symbolism”

“does nothing but dishonor us and all Native American tribes “

Sounds like this new chief has forgotten the history and traditions of his past ancestors.

scalps was a means to war honors in most Native American tribes…

he must be the new WOKE chief

this in no way has dishonored the Native American tribes.

And you speak for the tribe, not the chief ?

9 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

It's always funny to me when a bunch of old white men get together and criticize another race/culture for being wrong about believing something.  Personally, I don't have an issue with the idea of an Indian being a mascot, but then again, I'm not Native American.  The fact that so many people on here are pretending to not know that the term Indian is considered offensive by many Native Americans is pretty laughable.  It's also not difficult to understand why native americans would have an issue with an Indian mascot miming scalping.  If there was a high school mascot called the White Men, it wouldn't be offensive, but if during their fight song the white man mascot pantomimed hanging black men, it would be pretty offensive (mostly to white men).   I feel like the conversation on here would be pretty different.  

All that being said, I feel like this is a situation where something that is probably minorly offensive to some native americans is being blown way out of proportion by the woke left and media.  Both sides are wrong here: the folks with the "it's always been this way" or the "Native Americans shouldn't care how we portray Native Americans" points of view, and also the woke side who's exploiting the situation for political gain, or getting worked up without having any dog in the fight.  

For me personally, if I were doing anything at all that portrayed someone from another race or culture in a way that led parts of that group to claim it was offensive, I would stop doing it.  It seems amazingly selfish to continue the behavior for your own edification.  It's kind of an ironic deal that some Native Americans don't like the portrayal of themselves, and a community of white people refuses to change because of "culture and tradition."  

Like I said previously, I don’t care what they call themselves. It doesn’t bother me. I would just look at it through another set of eyes before making a decision. 

19 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

The best post on this thread!!!

15 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Like I said previously, I don’t care what they call themselves. It doesn’t bother me. I would just look at it through another set of eyes before making a decision. 

I don’t either, but to give Disney, who doesn’t care about this one way or another and has a history of racist cartoons over the years, any consideration on this is laughable.

40 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Good post.

I can agree with this.

9 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

I don’t either, but to give Disney, who doesn’t care about this one way or another and has a history of racist cartoons over the years, any consideration on this is laughable.

Agreed. I was not considering Disney whatsoever. More looking at the actual folks who may or may not have been harmed. 

5 hours ago, 5GallonBucket said:

new chiefs words

“offensive imagery, chanting, symbolism”

“does nothing but dishonor us and all Native American tribes “

Sounds like this new chief has forgotten the history and traditions of his past ancestors.

scalps was a means to war honors in most Native American tribes

he must be the new WOKE chief

this in no way has dishonored the Native American tribes.

It used to be “honorable” to own and abuse slaves.  I don’t think it’s necessarily “woke” to not want your culture portrayed by the most brutal, savage acts that your people ever committed.  

50 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Seminole is not a derogatory term.  Many Native Americans feel that Indians is 

At what point, and who decided it was offensive?  When I was in elementary school learning about the first Thanksgiving, it wasn’t Pilgrims and Native Americans, it was Indians.  Woke mentality run amuck!

I think that the whole situation is sad.  With all of the problems facing our Native American population, their leaders decide to put all of their efforts into this instead of poverty, drug addiction, violence, illiteracy, poor health, and any other of a host of ACTUAL PROBLEMS facing their community today.

What has changed since the 1970s when the Cherokees were proud to be honored as the PNG mascot?  Nothing in PNG.... they're still doing it the same way.  The only difference is a embarrassing decline in leadership by the Cherokee Nation.  

BUT, I could see a time in the next five years where schools like PNG and Evadale will be banned from UIL participation if they don't change their mascots to accommodate the wishes of the far left.  I'd bank on it.