Disney World Releases Statement Critical Of PNG’s Orlando Performance!

tvc184

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

That was never honorable, and it’s a poor comparison to this.

I should’ve said “used to be considered honorable”, but it’s a very fair comparison.  Obviously I don’t believe that it was actually honorable, but the wealthiest, most respected people generally owned slaves.  The worst things that white Americans have ever done involved slavery.  The worst things that Indians ever did involved scalping.  The fact that you don’t want slavery referred to as to having been honorable actually reinforces my point entirely.  His post was trying to justify the Indian mascot doing the scalping motion because “it was honorable” when the Indians were scalping people.  That’s not the way I’d want to be characterized if someone from another culture was impersonating me, just as, being a white man, I get very aggravated when some groups associate me with slavery because white men did it 200 year ago.  

Stop buying and watching Disney 💩! Problem Solved. You will never please these  bitter woke people. I am not a PNG fan by no means but I have always thought the band carried itself with Pride, Honor, Respect, and Class when performing. You could tell it meant something to those kids to wear the uniform and attire when performing. Keep on Trucking PNG Band! Normal people understand what y’all stand for. 

1 hour ago, BS Wildcats said:

At what point, and who decided it was offensive?  When I was in elementary school learning about the first Thanksgiving, it wasn’t Pilgrims and Native Americans, it was Indians.  Woke mentality run amuck!

When you were in grade school it was acceptable for white people to drop the N-word in casual conversations when referring to black people, so I don’t really think “it used to be this way” is a strong argument here.

3 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

Stop buying and watching Disney 💩! Problem Solved. You will never please these  bitter woke people. I am not a PNG fan by no means but I have always thought the band carried itself with Pride, Honor, Respect, and Class when performing. You could tell it meant something to those kids to wear the uniform and attire when performing. Keep on Trucking PNG Band! Normal people understand what y’all stand for. 

While I understand why some people are offended, the hypocrisy of Disney in all of this is not lost on me.

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

I should’ve said “used to be considered honorable”, but it’s a very fair comparison.  Obviously I don’t believe that it was actually honorable, but the wealthiest, most respected people generally owned slaves.  The worst things that white Americans have ever done involved slavery.  The worst things that Indians ever did involved scalping.  The fact that you don’t want slavery referred to as to having been honorable actually reinforces my point entirely.  His post was trying to justify the Indian mascot doing the scalping motion because “it was honorable” when the Indians were scalping people.  That’s not the way I’d want to be characterized if someone from another culture was impersonating me, just as, being a white man, I get very aggravated when some groups associate me with slavery because white men did it 200 year ago.  

You can spin it how you want but if was never considered honorable to own another person, an acceptable evil maybe, but there were plenty off folks even back then that called this what it was.

Slavery had to go in a decent society, this probably doesn’t.

6 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

When you were in grade school it was acceptable for white people to drop the N-word in casual conversations when referring to black people, so I don’t really think “it used to be this way” is a strong argument here.

It wasn’t in my house, it truly was an offensive act.  The problem we have now is we go too far sometimes in the opposite direction.

Let the so called offended and offender work it out without interference from the woke crowd.

1 minute ago, LumRaiderFan said:

It wasn’t in my house, it truly was an offensive act.  The problem we have now is we go too far sometimes in the opposite direction.

Let the so called offended and offender work it out without interference from the woke crowd.

I don’t disagree with this.  My grandfather had no problem using this word, even when talking to me when I was a small child.  The thing is, there wasn’t any malice in it, it was just how he’d been brought up.  

3 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

And you speak for the tribe, not the chief ?

I Don’t speak for any of them….im speaking for my self.

To me it’s not dishonoring. And givin my genealogy(not Cherokee but Comanche) I ve had these convos.

So is the word “Indian” offensive to those from India too

my education on native Americans is from actual literature as well my studies of my genealogy and talking to other native Americans   If your education of this culture is thru the lens of Hollywood and tv shows and this woke society that jump at opportunity to get attention then well you have a flawed view of said culture.

native Americans have been viewed as savages because of that lens for the modern world and by word of mouth by those who have dealt and witnessed violence due to settlers encroaching on the native americans.  I don’t view native Americans as savages at all…scalping and all.

they were warriors and were that way to survive.  

peter Jones (Sacred Waving Feathers) of the Ojibwe wrote a book with the word “Indian” in the title.  How bout that….a Native American used the word “Indian” 

George Copway (Kahgegagahbowh)is another author who used the word INdian to describe his people

If Indian is offensive, why are several of their organizations and services named Indian?

It would be like a guy saying redneck is offensive.  Then he goes on to tell you that he is the president of the redneck fan club, gets his insurance from Redneck Insurance and he is a proud follower of his high school mascot, Rednecks. 

7 hours ago, tvc184 said:

If Indian is offensive, why are several of their organizations and services named Indian?

It would be like a guy saying redneck is offensive.  Then he goes on to tell you that he is the president of the redneck fan club, gets his insurance from Redneck Insurance and he is a proud follower of his high school mascot, Rednecks. 

Maybe you ask the people at the NAACP (who were cool with the term “colored people”) or the fine folks at the United Negro College Fund. Not a lot of outcry over those two supposedly offensive names.  

Racism in America today exists only in the eyes of those who wish to be offended.  

READ THAT AGAIN.  

The literal push today is “you don’t even understand that you’re a racist, so let me explain it to you.” Racism by today’s extreme definition isn’t something you can see or touch, or even an activity… it’s something you don’t even know exists unless you use your imagination a little. 

13 hours ago, bullets13 said:

It’s still acceptable…but only if you are a black person. 

12 hours ago, tvc184 said:

The same reason the NAACP is an acronym that includes “Colored People”. Try using that term these days and see what happens. 

On 3/21/2022 at 3:29 PM, bullets13 said:

It's always funny to me when a bunch of old white men get together and criticize another race/culture for being wrong about believing something.  Personally, I don't have an issue with the idea of an Indian being a mascot, but then again, I'm not Native American.  The fact that so many people on here are pretending to not know that the term Indian is considered offensive by many Native Americans is pretty laughable.  It's also not difficult to understand why native americans would have an issue with an Indian mascot miming scalping.  If there was a high school mascot called the White Men, it wouldn't be offensive, but if during their fight song the white man mascot pantomimed hanging black men, it would be pretty offensive (mostly to white men).   I feel like the conversation on here would be pretty different.  

All that being said, I feel like this is a situation where something that is probably minorly offensive to some native americans is being blown way out of proportion by the woke left and media.  Both sides are wrong here: the folks with the "it's always been this way" or the "Native Americans shouldn't care how we portray Native Americans" points of view, and also the woke side who's exploiting the situation for political gain, or getting worked up without having any dog in the fight.  

For me personally, if I were doing anything at all that portrayed someone from another race or culture in a way that led parts of that group to claim it was offensive, I would stop doing it.  It seems amazingly selfish to continue the behavior for your own edification.  It's kind of an ironic deal that some Native Americans don't like the portrayal of themselves, and a community of white people refuses to change because of "culture and tradition."  

The fact that so many on here pretend to not know the term Indian is offensive - since when were you given the insight to everyone’s personal thoughts or knowledge?  What a wonderful gift.  You made some good points in your post but I find this ludicrous.  I had no idea it was offensive, and I doubt many others did.  So while looking down on the uninformed from your ivory tower, please remember that not all of us are cognizant of what’s considered offensive and what isn’t in the Brave New World.

11 minutes ago, Hagar said:

The fact that so many on here pretend to not know the term Indian is offensive - since when were you given the insight to everyone’s personal thoughts or knowledge?  What a wonderful gift.  You made some good points in your post but I find this ludicrous.  I had no idea it was offensive, and I doubt many others did.  So while looking down on the uninformed from your ivory tower, please remember that not all of us are cognizant of what’s considered offensive and what isn’t in the Brave New World.

If it’s offensive, not sure why it’s used so much.

American Indian Business Leaders (AIBL) ... 

American Indian College Fund. ... 

American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC) ... 

American Indian Policy Center. ... 

American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) ... 

Association on American Indian Affairs. ... 

Indian Country Media Network.

3 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

If it’s offensive, not sure why it’s used so much.

American Indian Business Leaders (AIBL) ... 

American Indian College Fund. ... 

American Indian Higher Education Consortium (AIHEC) ... 

American Indian Policy Center. ... 

American Indian Science and Engineering Society (AISES) ... 

Association on American Indian Affairs. ... 

Indian Country Media Network.

Well my, my, my.  Maybe it’s not quite the offensive term some would like it to be.

30 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Well my, my, my.  Maybe it’s not quite the offensive term some would like it to be.

It’s only offensive if you’re not given explicit permission or if you’re not of American Indian descent. Kind of like another word that is used by some but not allowed by others and begins with an N. Either get rid of it altogether or don’t complain that it still lives.