Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

navydawg31

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

So, I'm curious:  Do you think/feel, without exception, that ANY coach could have came in at the same time as Surratt and accomplished what he has done?  You know,  8 titles starting his 2nd year.   

Do you think/feel, without exception, that ANY coach could have came in at the same time as Dodge at Southlake Carroll and accomplish what he did?  You know, 4 out 5 Titles.   Or, how about what Dodge accomplished at Westlake?  Think, without exception, that any coach could have came in at the same time and replicated what he did?  You know, 3 titles in a row.  The first one 6 years.  

Do you think/feel, without exception, that ANY coach could have came in at the same time Briles did at Stephenville and accomplish the same thing he did?   You know, 4 titles in 7 year years.  The first one was in the 6th year.  

No, but Surratt still benefits from top-tier 4A talent, great facilities, etc.  If Carthage had stayed old 4A (5A now) do you think he would have any championships?  if so, how many?  I would argue that no matter how good of a coach he is, he most likely wouldn't have a championship if Carthage hadn't dropped to the new 4A.  It's possible they might've made a few pretty deep runs. 

Another question for you: do you think there are hundreds of coaches of this quality to choose from, and places like PNG are just too stupid to get them?  Do you think any top-tier coach wants to come live in southeast texas and coach at a school with inferior athletes and superior fan interference?  There are a limited number of these coaches, and no matter how good they are there's still a limit to what they can do at a place.  Very few coaches are going to leave high paying, high profile jobs to come out here, but Barber's Hill is proving that bringing in that marquee coach isn't worth that many wins with the limited talent available.  

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

No, but Surratt still benefits from top-tier 4A talent, great facilities, etc.  If Carthage had stayed old 4A (5A now) do you think he would have any championships?  if so, how many?  I would argue that no matter how good of a coach he is, he most likely wouldn't have a championship if Carthage hadn't dropped to the new 4A.  It's possible they might've made a few pretty deep runs. 

Another question for you: do you think there are hundreds of coaches of this quality to choose from, and places like PNG are just too stupid to get them?  Do you think any top-tier coach wants to come live in southeast texas and coach at a school with inferior athletes and superior fan interference?  There are a limited number of these coaches, and no matter how good they are there's still a limit to what they can do at a place.  Very few coaches are going to leave high paying, high profile jobs to come out here, but Barber's Hill is proving that bringing in that marquee coach isn't worth that many wins with the limited talent available.  

This is just a plain insult to Surratt to try and prove the point that's it's not about coaching.  I say a Championship type coach will be successful at any level.  But, it's always good to try and prove one's point with constant what-ifs.  Why?  Because it's easy and can't ever be proven.

As I've said before, there aren't that many top tier coaches out there.  So you are probably right that one will not go to PNG.  But, was Surratt, Briles, Buchanan and Dodge top tier coaches when they arrived at their respective schools that they won State Titles?  NO!   All head coaches start their careers as assistants.  Not hard to figure that one out.  So, could the new PNG coach eventually be a Championship Type coach.  Absolutely he could.  Will he?  It's hard to tell.  But, since there aren't that many out there, the odds are against him.  That's why if the community actually wants a State Title then you have to put a time limit.   It doesn't necessarily have to be 7 years.  It could be 10 or 12.  Just where the community wants to set the bar.   But, overall, if one can't in 7 then probably won't in 20.   

Again, I was a little disappointed that Westerburg didn't stay on at BH.  He was there only 5 years.  I think he had them going in the right direction.  But him leaving without a Title gives fodder to the "it's not the coach" crowd.  I get that.   But, I'll match your point:  Tod Dodge was able to do it at two different schools!  But as I've said before, there are no guarantees.  Well, with the exception that the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl.    :)

23 minutes ago, Reagan said:

This is just a plain insult to Surratt to try and prove the point that's it's not about coaching.  I say a Championship type coach will be successful at any level.  But, it's always good to try and prove one's point with constant what-ifs.  Why?  Because it's easy and can't ever be proven.

As I've said before, there aren't that many top tier coaches out there.  So you are probably right that one will not go to PNG.  But, was Surratt, Briles, Buchanan and Dodge top tier coaches when they arrived at their respective schools that they won State Titles?  NO!   All head coaches start their careers as assistants.  Not hard to figure that one out.  So, could the new PNG coach eventually be a Championship Type coach.  Absolutely he could.  Will he?  It's hard to tell.  But, since there aren't that many out there, the odds are against him.  That's why if the community actually wants a State Title then you have to put a time limit.   It doesn't necessarily have to be 7 years.  It could be 10 or 12.  Just where the community wants to set the bar.   But, overall, if one can't in 7 then probably won't in 20.   

Again, I was a little disappointed that Westerburg didn't stay on at BH.  He was there only 5 years.  I think he had them going in the right direction.  But him leaving without a Title gives fodder to the "it's not the coach" crowd.  I get that.   But, I'll match your point:  Tod Dodge was able to do it at two different schools!  So...

What 2 schools did Todd Dodge do it at out of curiosity?  I don’t feel like Todd Dodge would have the same success at some of those schools he did elsewhere.

41 minutes ago, CougarCal said:

If only there was a little bit of talent there. 

At Westlake, in the prior 43 years to Dodge arriving only 1 State Title was won.  Dodge ended up winning 3 in a row.  If the talent was always there then why didn't ALL the previous coaches have at least 3 or 4 Titles apiece?   Now that Dodge is gone, we'll see if any future coach there can win 3 in a row.

At Southlake, before Dodge, they did have a Championship Type coach who did have 3 Titles.  Dodge had 4 with 3 in a row.  There was a coach between the previous title coach and Dodge, why didn't he win a Title?  The same question goes here as I asked about Westlake:  If the talent is/was at Southlake then why didn't ALL the previous or future coaches have at least 3 or 4 Titles?

11 minutes ago, Reagan said:

At Westlake, in the prior 43 years to Dodge arriving only 1 State Title was won.  Dodge ended up winning 3 in a row.  If the talent was always there then why didn't ALL the previous coaches have at least 3 or 4 Titles apiece?   Now that Dodge is gone, we'll see if any future coach there can win 3 in a row.

At Southlake, before Dodge, they did have a Championship Type coach who did have 3 Titles.  Dodge had 4 with 3 in a row.  There was a coach between the previous title coach and Dodge, why didn't he win a Title?  The same question goes here as I asked about Westlake:  If the talent is/was at Southlake then why didn't ALL the previous or future coaches have at least 3 or 4 Titles?

So his QB’s went to Texas State/Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, North Texas/McNeese, a baseball player, and Clemson.  Pretty weak at the most important position on the field during those title years if you ask me.  I will say, his development early on did help with that position at those two schools but I guess that may have been where he excelled.  How’d he do at North Texas?

3 hours ago, CougarCal said:

So his QB’s went to Texas State/Oklahoma, Missouri, Alabama, North Texas/McNeese, a baseball player, and Clemson.  Pretty weak at the most important position on the field during those title years if you ask me.  I will say, his development early on did help with that position at those two schools but I guess that may have been where he excelled.  How’d he do at North Texas?

I'm going to propose something for your consideration:  Let's look at Westlake.  43 years prior to Dodge, only one Title.  So, 42 of those years nothing.  Do you honestly think that whatever you think took place only when Dodge was there to make him win these Titles, never took place for any other coach in those prior 42 years?   How about this:  True,  Dodge had some excellent QB's.   Here's a novel thought.  What if it was Dodge's ability to develop these QB's into what they became in high school?  You know, both at Westlake and Carroll.  I would imagine that in the 42 years prior at Westlake they had talented QB's.  But maybe, just maybe, they were't taught what Dodge could teach.  Does this sound feasible?   Let me know what you think!

As for as Dodge at North Texas:  It's like comparing apples to oranges.  We are talking high school.  Urban Meyer, Lou Holtz, and  there's other guy, let's see, what's his name, oh, yeah, Nick Saban -- they all couldn't hang at the next level.   Trying to prove something by saying some coaches didn't succeed at the next level has proven to not be accurate when discussing their coaching ability!  

16 hours ago, Reagan said:

Again, I was a little disappointed that Westerburg didn't stay on at BH.  He was there only 5 years.  I think he had them going in the right direction.  But him leaving without a Title gives fodder to the "it's not the coach" crowd.  I get that.   But, I'll match your point:  Tod Dodge was able to do it at two different schools!  But as I've said before, there are no guarantees.  Well, with the exception that the Rams were going to win the Super Bowl.    :)

No, the point is that coaching can only do so much.  If everything stays the same, including Surratt, but Carthage doesn't drop down a division, I say they most likely don't win any championships.  Because as good of a coach as he is, he'd be competing with the same talent level at his school against much tougher 5A schools to try and win.  So while Surratt arriving certainly played a big part of their success, just as big of a part or bigger was dropping down a classification (while keeping the same talent base) and getting to compete against much easier opponents in the playoffs.  

On 2/22/2022 at 4:51 PM, Reagan said:

Would it have mattered when Buchanan showed up at Aledo?  How about Briles at Stephenville?  How about Surratt, who we are talking about, would it have mattered when Surratt showed up at Carthage?   Point is -- these coaches came in and did something no other coaches were able to do.  The fact is is that Surratt did it in 2 years after NOTHING the previous 83 years.  One has to believe it was his ability!  So, yes, Championship Type coaches can do things that other coaches can't.  This is why there aren't that many Championship Type coaches.  But you have one at Aledo.  I think that's why there are those from Crosby that are jealous!  :)

Briles is a pos so we can exclude him from the conversation. But yes it matters when a coach gets to a program. Some classes are more talented than others. If Surratt is at Crosby these last two years maybe they do win. If he is at Crosby in 2000 then no I dont think they win as quickly. 

On 2/25/2022 at 12:29 PM, aledoalumni said:

Briles is a pos so we can exclude him from the conversation. But yes it matters when a coach gets to a program. Some classes are more talented than others. If Surratt is at Crosby these last two years maybe they do win. If he is at Crosby in 2000 then no I dont think they win as quickly. 

One may not like Briles, but one can't deny his success.  So, yes, he can, and he will, be part of any coaching discussions!

13 hours ago, Reagan said:

One may not like Briles, but one can't deny his success.  So, yes, he can, and he will, be part of any coaching discussions!

Its your choice to bring him up. And its my choice to let you know how I feel about him. Should have never got the Mt. Vernon job. Should have been banned from txhsfb coaching altogether. 

3 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

Its your choice to bring him up. And its my choice to let you know how I feel about him. Should have never got the Mt. Vernon job. Should have been banned from txhsfb coaching altogether. 

Were you in the locker room at Baylor ? I don't put much stock in anything the news says and I would love to hear the actual facts from an inside source.

I'm still  trying to figure out why he should be banned from hsfb but Jameis Winston is able to draw millions of dollars from the NFL. One physically committed a crime and the other was deemed guilty by association .

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/27/2022 at 9:51 AM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Were you in the locker room at Baylor ? I don't put much stock in anything the news says and I would love to hear the actual facts from an inside source.

I'm still  trying to figure out why he should be banned from hsfb but Jameis Winston is able to draw millions of dollars from the NFL. One physically committed a crime and the other was deemed guilty by association .

What's the difference in believing Jameis Winston's accuser versus the women at Baylor? Why are you putting stock in what the news said about him? Winston was never charged with a crime even after an investigation while it was documented that Art Briles knew about and helped cover up multiple felonies from 2012-2016.   

On 3/15/2022 at 8:31 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

What's the difference in believing Jameis Winston's accuser versus the women at Baylor? Why are you putting stock in what the news said about him? Winston was never charged with a crime even after an investigation while it was alleged that Art Briles knew about and helped cover up multiple felonies from 2012-2016.   

Fixed it for you. 

Unless by "documented" you mean that the 10:00 o'clock news made some accusations.  I don't remember Briles even being investigated criminally.  

I'm lazy... which year did one of Briles' teams clap y'all's cheeks?

19 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Fixed it for you. 

Unless by "documented" you mean that the 10:00 o'clock news made some accusations.  I don't remember Briles even being investigated criminally.  

I'm lazy... which year did one of Briles' teams clap y'all's cheeks?

Not being investigated doesn't mean you didn't have knowledge of what was going on. Moreover, not knowing your team is committing felonies shows a lack of institutional control. It's no different than SMU coaches not knowing players were receiving additional benefits and the school receiving the death penalty for their lack of institutional control. Nobody but their defenders believe the SMU staff didn't know what was going on, same for Baylor.

Does it sound a lot better to say Briles had kids on his teams for years that he didn't know were committing felonies? The last person I would want on my sideline overseeing kids is someone who was so disconnected from the happenings that he didn't realize his players were raping people. 

None of that was the case with Briles anyway though. One of the assault victims has texts she exchanged with Jeff Lebby, who was the OC at the time, detailing the attacks. Maybe Lebby didn't tell Briles(which he absolutely would've told his boss)? In regards to another victim she said the player told her "Briles already knew about it" and just told him to "stay away" from her.  Most times when organized crime bosses get indicted it's not from they themselves being investigated, it's due to the crimes of their underlings. There are also lots of times when those guys skate by because there's not a direct connection made, doesn't make them any less culpable though. 

I went to Crosby High, South Dakota State and Texas A&M-Commerce so I never had my cheeks clapped by any team Briles coached. Most of the cheek clapping I'm aware of on here happens to the Bride City cheerleaders they dress up as players for Friday nights.   

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Not being investigated doesn't mean you didn't have knowledge of what was going on. Moreover, not knowing your team is committing felonies shows a lack of institutional control. It's no different than SMU coaches not knowing players were receiving additional benefits and the school receiving the death penalty for their lack of institutional control. Nobody but their defenders believe the SMU staff didn't know what was going on, same for Baylor.

Does it sound a lot better to say Briles had kids on his teams for years that he didn't know were committing felonies? The last person I would want on my sideline overseeing kids is someone who was so disconnected from the happenings that he didn't realize his players were raping people. 

None of that was the case with Briles anyway though. One of the assault victims has texts she exchanged with Jeff Lebby, who was the OC at the time, detailing the attacks. Maybe Lebby didn't tell Briles(which he absolutely would've told his boss)? In regards to another victim she said the player told her "Briles already knew about it" and just told him to "stay away" from her.  Most times when organized crime bosses get indicted it's not from they themselves being investigated, it's due to the crimes of their underlings. There are also lots of times when those guys skate by because there's not a direct connection made, doesn't make them any less culpable though. 

I went to Crosby High, South Dakota State and Texas A&M-Commerce so I never had my cheeks clapped by any team Briles coached. Most of the cheek clapping I'm aware of on here happens to the Bride City cheerleaders they dress up as players for Friday nights.   

There's no point in trying to talk sense into any of the Briles jock-riders.

On 3/17/2022 at 11:59 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Awaiting CardinalBacker’s response. This should be good!!