Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

navydawg31

On 2/9/2022 at 6:12 PM, aledoalumni said:

Families are seeking out Aledo. Aledo is not out seeking out families. 

That's what we experience in Mont Belvieu. The quality of life, safety, and academics are all attractions to families who seek to move in. Sure there is "more stuff" in Houston (like Arlington), but it would be very, very difficult to find anyone in Mont Belvieu that really wants to move into Houston. 

On 2/9/2022 at 6:09 PM, aledoalumni said:

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. And clearly there are parents that prefer what Aledo has to offer vs Martin. Thats why they moved to Aledo. 

Well, we can agree that's the case for some parents. I just know if I'm a parent with a big time player that he's much more likely to have success post high school playing at other places so that's where I would take him. Just watched players from Arlington Lamar, Arlington Martin and Arlington Heights all playing on the same team win Super Bowl rings. Forget the superstars like Myles Garrett coming out of Martin, imagine how many "average" kids you have to pump out just hit those numbers?  

Imagine being Ryan Newsome(mysterious 4* transfer from LD Bell) and transferring to play your last two years at Aledo only to have to come back after you become a pastor and do an event in support of kids other Aledo students were "auctioning off"? I'm good with that, those parents with star kids who prefer that can have it. My kids already make A's so I'll just stop in Arlington and deal with the traffic so he can play against better competition. 

19 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

That's what we experience in Mont Belvieu. The quality of life, safety, and academics are all attractions to families who seek to move in. Sure there is "more stuff" in Houston (like Arlington), but it would be very, very difficult to find anyone in Mont Belvieu that really wants to move into Houston. 

It would be very, very hard to find someone that lived in Katy or Cypress who wanted to move to Mont Belvieu which would be a better comparison size and school district wise versus comparing Arlington to Houston. Mont Belvieu is just refinery workers from  Baytown that wanted to live in a more homogenous community. That's why they're mad about those "cheap" $200k houses being built that's allowing more democrats to move in. I was watching the middle school track meet last week and couldn't tell the difference between the Barber Hill and Cunningham's relay teams except for the BH teams were usually in the back.  

On 2/13/2022 at 7:46 AM, Horton said:

Surratt and staff would win a state championship at any school mentioned above. He is the best coach in the state of Texas. A master at finding the opposing teams weaknesses. 
Carthage has not grown in size in 50 years. Has always had athletes but never won a state championship until coach Surratt got there. 8 state championships and 11 semifinals since 2007. Can you imagine what that staff could do at a school with 3 and 4 deep at every position. 
we at Carthage are very Blessed to have coach Surratt. 
Thankful we will have him at least 4 more years. His son is an elite QB and will be a freshman this year. 
I predict he will be the Dawg starter for 3 years and that class is loaded with size and speed. 

Surratt is a great coach but let's not act like most years he doesn't have the most talent in his class. He's not going to Deer Park where he'll be three deep at every position due to them have 4k students and beating Jon Kay at North Shore. Rick Rhoades won three titles in his first six seasons at Cameron Yoe and lost in the title game in his 7th. I'm sure the folks in Cameron thought he was on a similar path and the best thing since sliced bread. He moved up a couple classes to Gregory Portland, had a deeper roster and never even made the playoffs in his five year stint because his talent comparable to the class had dropped so much.  

On 2/13/2022 at 7:46 AM, Horton said:

Surratt and staff would win a state championship at any school mentioned above. He is the best coach in the state of Texas. A master at finding the opposing teams weaknesses. 
Carthage has not grown in size in 50 years. Has always had athletes but never won a state championship until coach Surratt got there. 8 state championships and 11 semifinals since 2007. Can you imagine what that staff could do at a school with 3 and 4 deep at every position. 
we at Carthage are very Blessed to have coach Surratt. 
Thankful we will have him at least 4 more years. His son is an elite QB and will be a freshman this year. 
I predict he will be the Dawg starter for 3 years and that class is loaded with size and speed. 

I agree Surratt is one of the top coaches in Texas, but he wouldn’t win a state title at any of those schools.   Wouldn’t be close.

Carthage, was always much like Jasper.   A sleeping giant, loaded with athletes, and kids with size.   Carthage had good teams in the last, but nothing like what he’s been able to put together in the last 14 years.

Surratt brought structure, discipline, belief, along with a great staff and the X’s and O’s. He has built a program.

BUT, you still have to have the players.   When you bring what Surratt brings, along with the talent Carthage has always had, then you can create what he has created.

23 hours ago, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

Crosbys always hating on Barbers Hill

The dude literally injected himself in the conversation to bring up BH. He knows absolutely nothing about the schools we were discussing. If I was hating feel free to point out anything I said that was untrue.

BTW, I bet there are a bunch of people in Barbers Hill that would love to live by Andrew Luck in Memorial, some of the big execs. in West University Place or by some of the professional athletes in River Oaks. Most of those refinery salaries won't cut it out there though. 

On 2/15/2022 at 11:01 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

The dude literally injected himself in the conversation to bring up BH. He knows absolutely nothing about the schools we were discussing. If I was hating feel free to point out anything I said that was untrue.

BTW, I bet there are a bunch of people in Barbers Hill that would love to live by Andrew Luck in Memorial, some of the big execs. in West University Place or by some of the professional athletes in River Oaks. Most of those refinery salaries won't cut it out there though. 

I feel free, pretty much everything you said is a lie. 

1) I was addressing the Aledo guy, not you. Notice I even quoted him. You don't own this website. It not all about you.   

2) "Interjecting??" Seriously? This is an open forum. Anyone can speak up. How many times have you "Interjected" through the years here?  You are the worst hijacker on this board. "Crosby" shows up in almost every thread. Aggie said 'Why does every thread turn into a Crosby pissing contest?"  Remember that?   

3) I said "Mont Belvieu", not BH specifically. Fact is MB is growing fast, due to an attractive quality of life, just like Aledo is. Families want in.  

4) "Knows nothing??" I do know about Aledo. I have a friend there. Been there several times. Seen their team numerous times.

5) Pretty much anyone from MB who wanted to live in Houston could do so. Simple fact is, no one here does. You can't change that

20 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

I feel free, pretty much everything you said is a lie. 

1) I was addressing the Aledo guy, not you. Notice I even quoted him. You don't own this website. It not all about you.   

2) "Interjecting??" Seriously? This is an open forum. Anyone can speak up. How many times have you "Interjected" through the years here?  You are the worst hijacker on this board. "Crosby" shows up in almost every thread. Aggie said 'Why does every thread turn into a Crosby pissing contest?"  Remember that?   

3) I said "Mont Belvieu", not BH specifically. Fact is MB is growing fast, due to an attractive quality of life, just like Aledo is. Families want in.  

4) "Knows nothing??" I do know about Aledo. I have a friend there. Been there several times. Seen their team numerous times.

5) Pretty much anyone from MB who wanted to live in Houston could do so. Simple fact is, no one here does. You can't change that

I made that pissing contest in remark to others always bringing Crosby into the conversation. Not 14.2

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I made that pissing contest in remark to others always bringing Crosby into the conversation. Not 14.2

Those were your words, in a thread he was loudly in. He might be your friend but be real, he is the Crosby mouth that rambles and roars. The other Crosby posters at least have  some class about themselves. Even his friend coach bear (or whatever) admits he tries to rattle people. His 24/7/365 obsession with me is flat out SAD. Tired of his eternal racial moaning too. The chip on his shoulder is bigger than Texas. It’s laughable he just told Aledo “he don’t talk about race”. Did you notice that? Unbelievable! 

On 2/14/2022 at 10:43 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Surratt is a great coach but let's not act like most years he doesn't have the most talent in his class. He's not going to Deer Park where he'll be three deep at every position due to them have 4k students and beating Jon Kay at North Shore. Rick Rhoades won three titles in his first six seasons at Cameron Yoe and lost in the title game in his 7th. I'm sure the folks in Cameron thought he was on a similar path and the best thing since sliced bread. He moved up a couple classes to Gregory Portland, had a deeper roster and never even made the playoffs in his five year stint because his talent comparable to the class had dropped so much.  

Crosby would have a couple of titles if Surratt is coach. 

On 2/14/2022 at 9:31 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Well, we can agree that's the case for some parents. I just know if I'm a parent with a big time player that he's much more likely to have success post high school playing at other places so that's where I would take him. Just watched players from Arlington Lamar, Arlington Martin and Arlington Heights all playing on the same team win Super Bowl rings. Forget the superstars like Myles Garrett coming out of Martin, imagine how many "average" kids you have to pump out just hit those numbers?  

Imagine being Ryan Newsome(mysterious 4* transfer from LD Bell) and transferring to play your last two years at Aledo only to have to come back after you become a pastor and do an event in support of kids other Aledo students were "auctioning off"? I'm good with that, those parents with star kids who prefer that can have it. My kids already make A's so I'll just stop in Arlington and deal with the traffic so he can play against better competition. 

And thats your choice. Cool. Good for yall. I dont care you'd rather have your kids at Martin lol. Personally I wish people stayed at their original school and help build those programs but people move. It is what it is. 

7 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

Which years?

My opinion:  Surratt started winning the State Title in his second year (3 in a row) at Carthage.   Don't see any reason why he couldn't duplicate this at, say, Crosby!   Same thing goes for Buchanan and Briles.  Again -- this is what state championship type coaches do.   Oh, BTW, at Carthage, the second year was well below my 7 year requirement.  "If" one is a championship type coach then one doesn't have to worry about the 7 year time frame.  The ones that would have to worry are the ones that haven't won one in 7 years.  If one can't do it in 7, well, then, there's a great chance it's not going to be done.  Example:  The former Nederland coach and the former PNG coach just to name a few.

40 minutes ago, Reagan said:

My opinion:  Surratt started winning the State Title in his second year (3 in a row) at Carthage.   Don't see any reason why he couldn't duplicate this at, say, Crosby!   Same thing goes for Buchanan and Briles.  Again -- this is what state championship type coaches do.   Oh, BTW, at Carthage, the second year was well below my 7 year requirement.  "If" one is a championship type coach then one doesn't have to worry about the 7 year time frame.  The ones that would have to worry are the ones that haven't won one in 7 years.  If one can't do it in 7, well, then, there's a great chance it's not going to be done.  Example:  The former Nederland coach and the former PNG coach just to name a few.

fun little bit of math for you: there are 253 5A schools in Texas.  considering that there are two divisions, the best case scenario for coaches using your logic is that 239 of 253 coaches in 5A would need to be replaced every 7 years.  when your "requirements" at best allow only 7% of all coaches to be considered a success, you need to adjust your requirements, especially when you're only using one factor to judge that success.  You're literally saying that 251 out of 253 coaches each year have failed.  It's still a really silly argument, no matter how many times you double down on it.  You're also completely ignoring the fact that "championship type coaches" can't win championships with the talent at the majority of high schools in texas on a yearly basis.  You could put Surratt at HJ and he wouldn't win a championship with the talent they have there, not if you gave him 2 decades, unless a special group came through.  He would've had a shot or two with the group they had come through when Padgett was there, but I don't think his coaching would've been enough to overcome the talent/coaching that WOS had at the time.  

36 minutes ago, Reagan said:

My opinion:  Surratt started winning the State Title in his second year (3 in a row) at Carthage.   Don't see any reason why he couldn't duplicate this at, say, Crosby! 

There are several reasons I can think of why he couldnt win at Crosby in two years. Depends which years you are talking about though. 

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

fun little bit of math for you: there are 253 5A schools in Texas.  considering that there are two divisions, the best case scenario for coaches using your logic is that 239 of 253 coaches in 5A would need to be replaced every 7 years.  when your "requirements" at best allow only 7% of all coaches to be considered a success, you need to adjust your requirements, especially when you're only using one factor to judge that success.  You're literally saying that 251 out of 253 coaches each year have failed.  It's still a really silly argument, no matter how many times you double down on it.  You're also completely ignoring the fact that "championship type coaches" can't win championships with the talent at the majority of high schools in texas on a yearly basis.  You could put Surratt at HJ and he wouldn't win a championship with the talent they have there, not if you gave him 2 decades, unless a special group came through.  He would've had a shot or two with the group they had come through when Padgett was there, but I don't think his coaching would've been enough to overcome the talent/coaching that WOS had at the time.  

First of all we were talking about Crosby.  The answer, again, is yes, Surratt could have won a Title there.  Might not be in the second year but I feel confident within 7 years.  Because, again, this is what Championship Type coaches do.  These other fun bits:  again, it all depends where you set the bar.  Low expectations will  always be met.  

Now, Surratt and HJ and not being able to win a Title there.  Do you think they might have been saying the same thing at Carthage before he got there?  Let's look at the school before he got there:  20 coaches and 83 years -- NEVER had a Title.  And in the second year BOOM!  Do you think they might have been saying the same thing at Aledo?  How about Stephenville?  I think we could draw a good parallel of what was going on at Stephenville vs Brownwood and HJ vs WOS.  Brownwood, like WOS, was the big dog.  Stephenville had not beat Brownwood since 1963 and not won a district title since 1952.  The people were concerned that they "can't" beat Brownwood.  Just like the people at HJ are concerned that they "can't" beat WOS.  But you know what -- they finally did!  And what was the difference?  A Championship Type coach named Art Briles!!

PS -- there was a good chance that Bridge City, under Les Johnson, would have beaten WOS if they hadn't postponed the game.  So, yes, anything is possible!

1 hour ago, aledoalumni said:

There are several reasons I can think of why he couldnt win at Crosby in two years. Depends which years you are talking about though. 

Would it have mattered when Buchanan showed up at Aledo?  How about Briles at Stephenville?  How about Surratt, who we are talking about, would it have mattered when Surratt showed up at Carthage?   Point is -- these coaches came in and did something no other coaches were able to do.  The fact is is that Surratt did it in 2 years after NOTHING the previous 83 years.  One has to believe it was his ability!  So, yes, Championship Type coaches can do things that other coaches can't.  This is why there aren't that many Championship Type coaches.  But you have one at Aledo.  I think that's why there are those from Crosby that are jealous!  :)

3 hours ago, Reagan said:

First of all we were talking about Crosby.  The answer, again, is yes, Surratt could have won a Title there.  Might not be in the second year but I feel confident within 7 years.  Because, again, this is what Championship Type coaches do.  These other fun bits:  again, it all depends where you set the bar.  Low expectations will  always be met.  

Now, Surratt and HJ and not being able to win a Title there.  Do you think they might have been saying the same thing at Carthage before he got there?  Let's look at the school before he got there:  20 coaches and 83 years -- NEVER had a Title.  And in the second year BOOM!  Do you think they might have been saying the same thing at Aledo?  How about Stephenville?  I think we could draw a good parallel of what was going on at Stephenville vs Brownwood and HJ vs WOS.  Brownwood, like WOS, was the big dog.  Stephenville had not beat Brownwood since 1963 and not won a district title since 1952.  The people were concerned that they "can't" beat Brownwood.  Just like the people at HJ are concerned that they "can't" beat WOS.  But you know what -- they finally did!  And what was the difference?  A Championship Type coach named Art Briles!!

PS -- there was a good chance that Bridge City, under Les Johnson, would have beaten WOS if they hadn't postponed the game.  So, yes, anything is possible!

Carthage has always had athletes.   Carthage also played in the old 4A (5A now) for a long time.    They moved down to a level that better suited their enrollment, got a great coach, and then won a title.

95% of the schools in Texas do not play with the athletes at their respective level that Cathage does.   Very few schools have the facilities and resources Carthage does as well.    Kudos to Surratt and staff though.   It wasn’t always the case.   He deserves everything he has got.

But let’s not naively and ignorantly say that he could go to any school in the state and win a title in a 7 year period.   It’s simply not true.

17 hours ago, MackLewis said:

Carthage has always had athletes.   Carthage also played in the old 4A (5A now) for a long time.    They moved down to a level that better suited their enrollment, got a great coach, and then won a title.

95% of the schools in Texas do not play with the athletes at their respective level that Cathage does.   Very few schools have the facilities and resources Carthage does as well.    Kudos to Surratt and staff though.   It wasn’t always the case.   He deserves everything he has got.

But let’s not naively and ignorantly say that he could go to any school in the state and win a title in a 7 year period.   It’s simply not true.

So, I'm curious:  Do you think/feel, without exception, that ANY coach could have came in at the same time as Surratt and accomplished what he has done?  You know,  8 titles starting his 2nd year.   

Do you think/feel, without exception, that ANY coach could have came in at the same time as Dodge at Southlake Carroll and accomplish what he did?  You know, 4 out 5 Titles.   Or, how about what Dodge accomplished at Westlake?  Think, without exception, that any coach could have came in at the same time and replicated what he did?  You know, 3 titles in a row.  The first one 6 years.  

Do you think/feel, without exception, that ANY coach could have came in at the same time Briles did at Stephenville and accomplish the same thing he did?   You know, 4 titles in 7 year years.  The first one was in the 6th year.  

18 hours ago, MackLewis said:

I don’t think we can ignore the conditioning and development program a coach puts in place. That is, would Carthage have the same level of prospects without the coach helping get them there?