Sulphur Springs…/Faircloth hired

navydawg31

38 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Come on, Aledoalumni -- Ol' Buc had very little to do with it.  It was the massive population growth that did it for Aledo.  Well --that's what some say anyway.  Of course you know -- it's not me saying this!  Oh, BTW -- one said the athletes started showing up when Buc got there.  So...

58 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Come on, Aledoalumni -- Ol' Buc had very little to do with it.  It was the massive population growth that did it for Aledo.  Well --that's what some say anyway.  Of course you know -- it's not me saying this!  Oh, BTW -- one said the athletes started showing up when Buc got there.  So...

Aledo is an attractive option for people that are moving to the Fort Worth area. Parents are willing to drive 45+ minutes to work so their kids can go to Aledo instead of living in Fort Worth. 

45 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

Aledo is an attractive option for people that are moving to the Fort Worth area. Parents are willing to drive 45+ minutes to work so their kids can go to Aledo instead of living in Fort Worth. 

Y’all have a really good crop of elected leadership up that way, too. In all my dealings with them, I’ve always been impressed with Phil King, Glenn Rogers (even though he technically moved back to the family ranch in Graham) and Kit Marshall.

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Lol, on this documentary the 6’6”(Polynesian) lineman moves in and and the black kid who plays on the defensive line talks about transferring from Everman, I believe. This is the exact definition of “them just showing up” as well as goes to my 2% comment on why the numbers are skewed. 

7 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lol, on this documentary the 6’6”(Polynesian) lineman moves in and and the black kid who plays on the defensive line talks about transferring from Everman, I believe. This is the exact definition of “them just showing up” as well as goes to my 2% comment on why the numbers are skewed. 

I'm not interested in talking about the race of high school kids. What I will point out is the mutual benefit for the families and programs when talented kids move in to play sports. 

5 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

1978                     6-4-0        150-  90        Mike Sneed
1979                     6-4-0        134-  60        Mike Sneed
1980                     3-7-0        105-220        Mike Sneed
1981      C             4-7-0        219-234        Mike Sneed
1982                     5-5-0        207-152        Mike Sneed
1983                     2-8-0        128-242        John E. Roberts
1984                     8-2-0        236-  99        John E. Roberts
1985                     1-9-0        100-216        John E. Roberts
1986                     6-4-0        164-149        John E. Roberts
1987      R             6-5-0        338-252        Chuck Curtis
1988      R             8-3-0        368-140        Chuck Curtis
1989                     3-7-0        106-251        Curtis or Rick Page
1990                     1-9-0          52-270        Rick Page
1991                     4-6-0        144-253        Steve Reid
1992                     3-6-1        137-259        Randy Ewers
1993                     2-8-0          69-277        Tim Buchanan
1994                     6-3-1        227-153        Tim Buchanan
1995                     6-3-1        191-134        Tim Buchanan
1996      R-          11-2-1        390-206        Tim Buchanan
1997      C--         14-1-0        602-187        Tim Buchanan
1998      C--         13-1-0        383-110        Tim Buchanan
1999     CO          10-3-0        346-169        Tim Buchanan
2000      C--         11-1-0        409-100        Tim Buchanan
2001      R             8-4-0        331-147        Tim Buchanan
2002      R-          12-2-0        359-186        Tim Buchanan
2003     TH          10-4-0        358-167        Tim Buchanan
2004      R-          11-4-0        490-257        Tim Buchanan
2005     TH            8-6-0        398-290        Tim Buchanan
2006    TRI          12-2-0        546-146        Tim Buchanan
2007     TH          11-3-0        542-184        Tim Buchanan
2008      C--         11-1-0        459-124        Tim Buchanan
2009      C--         15-1-0        644-253        Tim Buchanan
2010      C--         16-0-0        780-217        Tim Buchanan
2011      C--         14-2-0        885-354        Tim Buchanan
2012      C--         10-2-0        519-133        Tim Buchanan
2013      C--         16-0-0     1,023-147        Tim Buchanan
2014      C--         15-1-0        770-290        Steve Wood
2015      C--         13-2-0        714-171        Steve Wood
2016      C--         16-0-0        855-286        Steve Wood
2017      C--         15-1-0        705-214        Steve Wood
2018      C--         16-0-0        809-209        Steve Wood
2019      C-          15-1-0        815-319        Tim Buchanan
2020      C-          13-1-0        691-325        Tim Buchanan
2021      C-          12-1-0        712-173        Tim Buchanan

WOW, Aledoalumni, this is why this clip is called "Titletown: The House That Buc Built!"  Check the before and after Buchanan win/loss records since 1978.  Impressive!!    Since the beginning in 1946, and up until Buchanan got there, there were "only" 4 times  Aledo won over 10 games.  4 times!!   Plus, you got to throw Steve Wood in there.  He also has Elite Coaching status!  His record is:  75-4 with 3 State Championships.  Heck, if PNG was smart, I'd think they would make a play for Steve Wood!  

On 2/4/2022 at 8:33 PM, aledoalumni said:

I'm not interested in talking about the race of high school kids. What I will point out is the mutual benefit for the families and programs when talented kids move in to play sports. 

I don’t care about the race of kids either. I was just pointing out a once rural town on the west side of cattle country has a higher hit rate than North Shore in a certain demographic. It’s an anomaly that probably nobody else in the state can copy. There’s no more benefit at Aledo than there is at Arlington Martin who sends more kids D1 in every sport and produces better college players. The statistics just are what the stats is are. 

49 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

What do you mean "theres no more benefit"? That part has me confused. 

Your post said "mutual benefit for the families and programs when talented kids move in to play sports". I'm saying there isn't more benefit for a talented kid moving to Aledo than there is Arlington Martin. Schools are relatively the same, Martin plays better competition and produces more players that live up to their star rating when they hit college. If I was a parent of a good football player in that area that's where I would want my kid to play unless there was some other incentive to move to Aledo. 

Aledo isn't really great at any other boys sports besides football so obviously those are the only players moving in. Much like some college programs were ahead of the curve when it came to the NIL stuff, Aledo has been ahead of the curve on legally acquiring football talent. 

56 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Your post said "mutual benefit for the families and programs when talented kids move in to play sports". I'm saying there isn't more benefit for a talented kid moving to Aledo than there is Arlington Martin.

I definitely disagree with that. Personal preference but quality of living is much higher in Aledo. Not being in a big city with a bunch of different high schools, rangers ball park, cowboys stadium, 6 flags, waterpark, ect and all that traffic. Plus you have a much better chance of team success at Aledo than Martin regarding football. Parents want there kids in a great academic school and a sports program that is going to make a deep playoff run. Aledo doesnt need to recruit. Our situation is attractive for people considering moving to the Fort Worth area.

8 minutes ago, aledoalumni said:

I definitely disagree with that. Personal preference but quality of living is much higher in Aledo. Not being in a big city with a bunch of different high schools, rangers ball park, cowboys stadium, 6 flags, waterpark, ect and all that traffic. Plus you have a much better chance of team success at Aledo than Martin regarding football. Parents want there kids in a great academic school and a sports program that is going to make a deep playoff run. Aledo doesnt need to recruit. Our situation is attractive for people considering moving to the Fort Worth area.

I’d also add that Aledo very likely has a cheaper cost of living, even accounting for the much higher median income level.

3 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

One of the posters has used the word legal or legally, I think, twice when it comes to Aledo gaining athletes.  Am I missing something that in the past Aledo was accused of doing something illegally?  

21 hours ago, aledoalumni said:

That's definitely a personal preference. I think Arlington is better for exactly all the reasons you just named. Everything is right there without having to drive all the way across Ft. Worth to do anything like you do from Aledo. If more people agreed with you then more athletes besides good football players would move there, that 2% would've risen significantly and Arlington wouldn't be growing faster than Aledo. Entire families would move there and stay instead of just living there while the player goes to school.  

Crosby has a kid who ended up being the top scorer in the state last year transfer to play on the basketball team and we're far from a powerhouse. We have individual/relay state champions in track and have since the '80s. Does Aledo's basketball team suck because only football parents think the standard of living or academics are better there? What about your track team? I get sending them to the best academic school you can afford but 4* players don't end up there for the math classes.  

Katy doesn't recruit either but for the last 15 years they've ended up with a 4* back on their roster when they don't produce talent at that rate at any other position. I'm sure the running back transfer from South Carolina powerhouse Dutch Fork they used to beat North Shore the last time they won was just a coincidence? You're never going to convince me parents with star football players are going pass up schools like Euless Trinity, which is the same distance from Ft. Worth as Aledo, to come there for a couple extra playoff games or the debate team. Like I said though, however the players end up there is obviously above board so more power to y'all.  

23 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

I’d also add that Aledo very likely has a cheaper cost of living, even accounting for the much higher median income level.

They have a higher median income because Arlington ISD has 60k kids in their district and encompasses the type neighborhoods that the star players that end up at Aledo would normally come from. Including the entire area skews the numbers like they would for Houston Stratford and Lamar that encompass the Memorial and River Oaks areas. I do agree that your money goes further in Aledo than it does the upscale neighborhoods in Arlington but the reason people pay the premium is for access and proximity which is exactly why AA is saying people wouldn't move there and come to Aledo instead.   

20 hours ago, Reagan said:

One of the posters has used the word legal or legally, I think, twice when it comes to Aledo gaining athletes.  Am I missing something that in the past Aledo was accused of doing something illegally?  

If you can't understand something as simple as what a good or bad coach is then I definitely don't expect you to understand things like talent acquisition. 

5 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

If you can't understand something as simple as what a good or bad coach is then I definitely don't expect you to understand things like talent acquisition. 

HA!  You got busted for being dramatic!  LOL!! 

PS --  I don't blame you for being envious of Aledo!   Let me see:  56-21     😃😃

2 minutes ago, Reagan said:

HA!  You got busted for being dramatic!  LOL!!

I didn't dramatize anything. Watch the documentary. Aledo got two transfers that were ruled eligible. The qb they beat Crosby with was a transfer and was ruled eligible, meaning they legally acquired the kids. This isn't string theory bro.  

On 1/31/2022 at 3:48 PM, Reagan said:

I'll ask you:  Did the "personel" just show up when Surratt at Carthage (after 84 years of no State Title) and Buchanan at Aledo showed up?  Of course not!!  They were there before.  The coach was the difference!   Again, letting a coach go, it all depends on where you set the bar.  My bar is high.  The PNG coach had 12 years.  Does that mean he was treated unfairly?  I wouldn't think so.  But, I knew after 7-8 years that a State Title wasn't in PNG's future.  Maybe the Superintendent and board members realized the same thing.  Like I've said before -- if one's expectations are low, then they'l be met EVERY time!

If all schools had the talent, resources, and other advantages that Carthage has, then I would agree.   Seven years is a “fair” amount of time to win a title.   Don’t mean a coach should be ran off if he don’t win one though.

Should a coach at Hardin-Jefferson, Orangefield, or Shephard be held to the same expectations as a coach at Carthage, or WO-S?

Surratt is a great coach and has built a dynasty.   But let’s not act like he would duplicate that success at the schools mentioned above.  Sometimes it takes the right coach at the right place to do amazing things.

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You're never going to convince me parents with star football players are going pass up schools like Euless Trinity, which is the same distance from Ft. Worth as Aledo, to come there for a couple extra playoff games or the debate team. Like I said though, however the players end up there is obviously above board so more power to y'all.  

I'm not trying to convince you of anything. And clearly there are parents that prefer what Aledo has to offer vs Martin. Thats why they moved to Aledo. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

I didn't dramatize anything. Watch the documentary. Aledo got two transfers that were ruled eligible. The qb they beat Crosby with was a transfer and was ruled eligible, meaning they legally acquired the kids. This isn't string theory bro.  

Families are seeking out Aledo. Aledo is not out seeking out families. Personally I wish they never sold the Walsh ranch and never started all the housing developments these last last 15 years. 

3 hours ago, MackLewis said:

If all schools had the talent, resources, and other advantages that Carthage has, then I would agree.   Seven years is a “fair” amount of time to win a title.   Don’t mean a coach should be ran off if he don’t win one though.

Should a coach at Hardin-Jefferson, Orangefield, or Shephard be held to the same expectations as a coach at Carthage, or WO-S?

Surratt is a great coach and has built a dynasty.   But let’s not act like he would duplicate that success at the schools mentioned above.  Sometimes it takes the right coach at the right place to do amazing things.

I’ll respond more later.  But, did I understand you to say that your Father was on the varsity football staff under Malone?

On 2/9/2022 at 4:15 PM, MackLewis said:

Surratt and staff would win a state championship at any school mentioned above. He is the best coach in the state of Texas. A master at finding the opposing teams weaknesses. 
Carthage has not grown in size in 50 years. Has always had athletes but never won a state championship until coach Surratt got there. 8 state championships and 11 semifinals since 2007. Can you imagine what that staff could do at a school with 3 and 4 deep at every position. 
we at Carthage are very Blessed to have coach Surratt. 
Thankful we will have him at least 4 more years. His son is an elite QB and will be a freshman this year. 
I predict he will be the Dawg starter for 3 years and that class is loaded with size and speed.