PNG vs SOC State Championship Game Thread/Post updates here

Reagan

Who wins?  

110 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Port Neches-Groves
    • South Oak Cliff

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 12/16/2023 at 05:00 PM

1 minute ago, 1989NDN said:

If they clear out the lower bowl following each game, will our GA-tickets get us back in for the second and third games?  My group was planning to stay and watch all three games on Saturday.  Thanks.

Yes, they will just clear out the lower bowl after the PNG game so North shore or duncanville fans (whoever is home or away) can get those seats first.  Having said that, I watched the Boerne vs China spring game last year and they didn’t make me leave before our game.  It cleared out and I walked over and got the seats our group wanted 

Gonna be a helluva game!!!  It will be won or lost in the trenches. Can PNG stop the dynamic running attack of SOC? Can PNGs o-line keep SOC d line pushed back enough to open gaps for Nguyen and Chatangier?  Can PNG secondary stop SOC? Can PNG receivers win the one on one battles that SOC loading the box is going to create? Can PNG line hold up against the rush that is going to be coming on passing downs?  I can't wait to find out the answers to these questions!!!!  GO PNG!!!!

1 hour ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Gotta love practicing in December 💪🏾 those extra weeks means alot to a program. Good luck again to Png. 

An understated benefit of deep runs, and one of the reasons deep runs tend to come in bunches. After this season, PnG will have a full 12 more weeks extra of practices and game experience , over the past two years, than most teams in the state. South Oak Cliff will have 18 extra (over the last 3 seasons) - That’s nearly 2 full regular seasons extra! That experience can really build if underclassmen are taking advantage. 

I watched SOC against Midlothian and Lovejoy. 

Midlothian took a good lead then tried to keep running outside and throwing shirt passes. Didn't work. PN-G will go right at them and rarely throws passes to the line of scrimmage. 

SOC was not as big as I expected. They have some size but nothing like last year. The d-lines for both Midlothian and Lovejoy were much smaller than what PNG will bring. 

It will be speed vs size. We will need to play a full 4 quarters of A ball. SOC can get down and still make a run. 

Watching SOC on YouTube.  The RB #21 Green is quick and elusive.  Yikes.  Not the biggest guy, but he can take a pop and bounce off tacklers.  PN-G has seen some good RBs this season, but I don't think the Indians have seen anyone with his combination of quickness, vision, and the ability to slip away from tacklers.  The SOC QB #18 reminds me of PN-G's #9...cool under pressure and making the right reads and throws.  #18 can sling it.  SOC defense is fast at all three levels, but I think PN-G's OL will be able to create some running lanes.  The game will come down to PN-G stopping the run and PN-G winning some one-on-one battles in the passing game when SOC loads the box.  Stopping the run is easier said than done.  SOC has some DUDES on the OL and #21 zips right through their lanes.  They are playing well.  Glad PN-G has a shot to play the last 5A-DII game of the year and taking a shot at the defending champs.  We've got a shot...what more can you ask for?  Should be a good game.  Tip of the cap to SOC coaching staff...they lost 11 scholarship kids from last season and they are back at the top, in the state championship.  Impressive.

P.S.  One more thing.  No turnovers this year.  The Indians need to hold on to the ball.  No safeties this year.

1 hour ago, 1989NDN said:

Watching SOC on YouTube.  The RB #21 Green is quick and elusive.  Yikes.  Not the biggest guy, but he can take a pop and bounce off tacklers.  PN-G has seen some good RBs this season, but I don't think the Indians have seen anyone with his combination of quickness, vision, and the ability to slip away from tacklers.  The SOC QB #18 reminds me of PN-G's #9...cool under pressure and making the right reads and throws.  #18 can sling it.  SOC defense is fast at all three levels, but I think PN-G's OL will be able to create some running lanes.  The game will come down to PN-G stopping the run and PN-G winning some one-on-one battles in the passing game when SOC loads the box.  Stopping the run is easier said than done.  SOC has some DUDES on the OL and #21 zips right through their lanes.  They are playing well.  Glad PN-G has a shot to play the last 5A-DII game of the year and taking a shot at the defending champs.  We've got a shot...what more can you ask for?  Should be a good game.  Tip of the cap to SOC coaching staff...they lost 11 scholarship kids from last season and they are back at the top, in the state championship.  Impressive.

P.S.  One more thing.  No turnovers this year.  The Indians need to hold on to the ball.  No safeties this year.

Pick 6 and safeties the difference in the game

This will be a tough game. SOC, similar to Texas City, PAM, and a few others, they will push the envelope on personal fouls until they get a few called, then they back off but not without complaining. Last year the SOC coach really complained loudly at the refs for the PF calls.  The difference last year was the sheer athleticism of the SOC receivers. The passes were basically hail Marys, and the receivers and DBs were on their own.  Sort of like LH last Friday night. 

33 minutes ago, 1970 said:

This will be a tough game. SOC, similar to Texas City, PAM, and a few others, they will push the envelope on personal fouls until they get a few called, then they back off but not without complaining. Last year the SOC coach really complained loudly at the refs for the PF calls.  The difference last year was the sheer athleticism of the SOC receivers. The passes were basically hail Marys, and the receivers and DBs were on their own.  Sort of like LH last Friday night. 

I think the closest comparison as far as size and speed that PNG has seen is Fort Bend Marshall.  Granted neither team played well that night, FBM is a certified track team with athletes at every position.  

3 hours ago, 1989NDN said:

I agree with your assessment 100% I said the same thing watching SOC...on the scholarship front in total SOC had 12 players sign FBS Division 1 Scholarships last year and 22 in total and yet they're right back here at state again it speaks to the talent level SOC has had the past 3 years 

22 minutes ago, warpaint101 said:

1st let me say Congratulations to both teams for returning for a 2nd straight year matchup.

Now I might have missed this in a previous post ,does anyone know who will be home team or visitor ,and will it be televised on any channel. Or NDNpress. ?

PNG is designated HOME team and it's on Bally's

NDN Press will be audio only 

APPROVED: NDN Press has been APPROVED to broadcast this Saturday’s state final game with South Oak Cliff.

While the broadcast will again stream to our website, it will be AUDIO ONLY, as the UIL broadcast partners have exclusive rights to live video of the game. 

The bottom line is that our student broadcast team — which has called every game this season — WILL be allowed to finish out on the biggest stage of the season!

Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. The NDN Press pre-game show will begin at roughly 10:45 a.m., with Kaiden Lunceford (‘27), Clayton Proffitt (‘27) and Ella Owens (‘26). 

As always, you also catch the state final action live on Cool 92.5 FM, with Francis, Lance and Rachael. 💜

We had 8.4K watching last week — a NEW RECORD viewership audience, despite moving from YouTube to an embedded stream on our website. 

No matter how you get your broadcast info — from the official PNG Radio & NDN Press teams, we will bring you all the up-to-the minute information on Game Day. 

We thank you for listening and supporting the broadcasts  that support our community. 

We will do our best to bring another great broadcast as we take SHOWTIME back on the road! 💜🤍💜🤍💜

#PNGproud #AlwaysBeFaithful #CaptureLife #txhsfb #StudentMedia #ItsShowtime

18 minutes ago, PhatMack19 said:

NDN Press will be audio only 

APPROVED: NDN Press has been APPROVED to broadcast this Saturday’s state final game with South Oak Cliff.

While the broadcast will again stream to our website, it will be AUDIO ONLY, as the UIL broadcast partners have exclusive rights to live video of the game. 

The bottom line is that our student broadcast team — which has called every game this season — WILL be allowed to finish out on the biggest stage of the season!

Kickoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. The NDN Press pre-game show will begin at roughly 10:45 a.m., with Kaiden Lunceford (‘27), Clayton Proffitt (‘27) and Ella Owens (‘26). 

As always, you also catch the state final action live on Cool 92.5 FM, with Francis, Lance and Rachael. 💜

We had 8.4K watching last week — a NEW RECORD viewership audience, despite moving from YouTube to an embedded stream on our website. 

No matter how you get your broadcast info — from the official PNG Radio & NDN Press teams, we will bring you all the up-to-the minute information on Game Day. 

We thank you for listening and supporting the broadcasts  that support our community. 

We will do our best to bring another great broadcast as we take SHOWTIME back on the road! 💜🤍💜🤍💜

#PNGproud #AlwaysBeFaithful #CaptureLife #txhsfb #StudentMedia #ItsShowtime

I enjoyed listening to them they do a great job. 

Just an observation on the last 2 semi games.

Last year when the clock struck 0, the players went wild celebrating and rushed the field.  All that work and they achieved their goal to get to state.  

This year when Shea took the knee in victory formation, there were hugs and handshakes.  A lot more subdued and businesslike celebration.  They expected to win and expected to be back at state.  They have unfinished business to take care of. It may take a near perfect game to win, but I don’t doubt they can pull it off.  

• AggiesAreWe changed the title to PNG vs SOC State Championship Game Thread/Post updates here