Beaumont high school football stuck in tough spot

AggiesAreWe

1 hour ago, DP#1FAN said:

Beaumont, Texas has and has had some of the best high school talent in the state.  Getting the right person to led them is the key! ( and it shouldn't what color they are).  There it is I said that. Give the student/athletes the best chance to win.  

I think you need to elaborate, color wasn't the issue with the West Brook hire like it has been for years. West Brook has never HIRE and African American Coach...

It has nothing to do with the color of a man/woman/person's skin. It has to do w the leadership from the top. These coaches and kids are starting off behind the 8 ball. All Coaches and kids not in athletic periods. It is hard for any coach to build a program if they don't have all of their kids in their athletic period (both in and out of season). Also, the facilities are garbage. BU's weight room has been there since that fieldhouse was built for Ozen. I'm sure WB's weight room isn't much better. There is a lack of quality practice facilities for both schools. They are trying to compete against schools that have indoors, turf practice fields, etc. All of this is important because when weather hits in the middle of the day, there is always somewhere to go, instead of the small gym. BISD needs an AD that will fight for his coaches and get both programs back on the same playing level as other programs. The UIL puts these teams in a district, so that is out of anyone's control, but give everyone a fighting chance and at least a shot to compete. Unfortunately, it's that way in every sport, with the exception of basketball. Do Better!!!!

12 minutes ago, DP#1FAN said:

Just hire the BEST coach that is all that matters.

gotcha, well I said in the another post that at this point it doesnt matter who they hire or what his background is. Football has to be a priority DISTRICT WIDE and that means providing that coach with the resources and ability to structure the program to as needed. Coaches/Kids in athletic periods, competitive stipends, etc..

What hurts Beaumont is a number of things.  A lot of kids that should be seniors at WB are playing at other places right now like CE King, HF, etc.. United has talent but some of those guys don't leave the court.  Admin makes it hard on coaches with the class schedules some coaches have, not paying hardly any days and requiring new staffs to keep holdovers.  The admin as a whole needs a makeover to regain control over the district, keep kids/talent from going to other districts and giving the coaches the proper resources to be successful.  Hard to judge a coach when the deck is stacked.  It's not about turf fields and indoors, it's about allowing the coaches to have the right time with players and the schools not being a mad house causing parents to move their kids.

Everyone here has quality statements about the problems. My biggest takeaways from working in BISD nearly 20 years ago and periodically being on campuses for other job duties is simply 3 things.  1) In the entire building of the high schools there is a complete lack of teacher support by upper admistration for classroom and overall discipline (many kids will misbehave when it's simply allowed at worst or lack of consequences at best), 2) horrible on campus training facilities. (when the pick a name this school year facility was built in I-10, that money 9r at least a portion should have gone to better training facilities on campuses), and 3) when the board hires a superintendent they need to search for one that places a huge emphasis on extracurricular activities of all types (no pass no play alone can improve school climate if a large number of students are involved in ANYTHING extracurricular).  Many of you may have other thoughts and disagree with some or all of mine. 

The person that mentioned mentioned not having coaches and/or athletes in the athletic period is beyond correct.  Never seen that crap anywhere but BISD.  It may occur elsewhere, but not consistently and not in successful places. Believe this one or not....yes it was 20 years ago...had a football player tell me he failed a class on purpose so he could miss the off season program in athletics the following year.   That mess still go on to anyone's knowledge?  On a rant, so I'll stop. 

2 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

The very first Head coach at West Brook was Alex Durley!

Well obviously and we know why, HE WAS THE BEST FOR THE JOB, and at that "TIME" HE WAS THE BEST COACH no matter what ethnic or race who could handle that situation and trust me if you knew how many people didn't want for him to have the job because of times then.  guess I should have stated in last few decades!!

8 hours ago, DP#1FAN said:

Beaumont, Texas has and has had some of the best high school talent in the state.  Getting the right person to led them is the key! ( and it shouldn't matter what color they are).  There it is I said that. Give the student/athletes the best chance to win.  

Perfectly said!! And, that why I can't see w.o getting back to the mountain top til changes are made.

This article misses an important point, at least as it relates to BU: If BU was 5aD1, they wouldn’t do much, or at all, better. It can’t all be blamed on having such a tough district. They’re not about to beat PAM or BH or Crosby. That’s a murderers’ row district too. I’m not sure they would be a playoff team, or even win a few games, in the local 5aD2 district, for that matter. Westbrook is a different story, but looking at size disparity alone leaves out the abysmal coaching and leadership situation at BU, and BISD football in general. 

What l’ve noticed at the successful school districts….everyone is on board with doing what they can to help the kids win in life. From the superintendent, principals, teachers, coaches and so on communication is key. The community as a whole expects the best and the students know what is expected of them. The kids actually want to be there and the parents are active. Acting up at school can get you removed from the school or even district. When they vote for certain things regarding money the community is ok with raising taxes to get better facilities, stadiums, and buildings for the kids. Teachers are also paid good so they’ll want to be there. This makes it more appealing to those top notch coaches that may be interested. 

West Brook has taken down several schools with much higher enrollment. That's never been an excuse until recently.

It's all about having the right coach. Stump, Peavey and even Flanagan put together playoff teams with no issue. 

Nobody had more obstacles than Coach Durley and he brought home a championship.

Let's be real about this. Back in those days i've never seen or heard of all this recruiting that goes on in high school football. Some of these parents act like they are getting paid millions to move their kids to the other side of setx to play football. Beaumont has lot a lot of kids due to angry parents moving because of playing time on varsity when they couldnt dominate freshman nor JV. Its not about the facilities and weight rooms. Its all about playing time for RIGHT NOW. If beaumont kept there kids where they belong you would see different levels of competition. Do you see kids transferring out of the city to go play basketball like you see for football? Whether its Silsbee, port arthur, kelly, or houston schools. No its only football. These parents really dont understand the process of getting their child recruited. Its the camps that they need to attend and do good on the film that they do create. Every player on elite HS teams doesnt get offers to college. So why do these parents do all this moving around when you dont have to? But then want to blame the HS coach for you taking your athlete to another school and get mad when your child have to sit out. Be smart with your kid.

2 hours ago, wbfan said:

West Brook has taken down several schools with much higher enrollment. That's never been an excuse until recently.

It's all about having the right coach. Stump, Peavey and even Flanagan put together playoff teams with no issue. 

Nobody had more obstacles than Coach Durley and he brought home a championship.

The year before his hire the Bruins made it to the second round of the playoffs. Dude went 5-5, 1-9, and hasn't won a game this season.

On 9/15/2023 at 7:54 AM, ozens fastest@1906 said:

I think you need to elaborate, color wasn't the issue with the West Brook hire like it has been for years. West Brook has never HIRE and African American Coach...

The first head coach at West Brook was black in 1982 and was the best ever Head coach at West Brook.

sorry, didn’t see other posters already commented.

23 hours ago, bulldog16 said:

It has nothing to do with the color of a man/woman/person's skin. It has to do w the leadership from the top. These coaches and kids are starting off behind the 8 ball. All Coaches and kids not in athletic periods. It is hard for any coach to build a program if they don't have all of their kids in their athletic period (both in and out of season). Also, the facilities are garbage. BU's weight room has been there since that fieldhouse was built for Ozen. I'm sure WB's weight room isn't much better. There is a lack of quality practice facilities for both schools. They are trying to compete against schools that have indoors, turf practice fields, etc. All of this is important because when weather hits in the middle of the day, there is always somewhere to go, instead of the small gym. BISD needs an AD that will fight for his coaches and get both programs back on the same playing level as other programs. The UIL puts these teams in a district, so that is out of anyone's control, but give everyone a fighting chance and at least a shot to compete. Unfortunately, it's that way in every sport, with the exception of basketball. Do Better!!!!

I understand what you’re saying, but Barbers Hill is I believe the only school with an indoor facility unless someone else in Houston has built one recently.