BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis

Matthew328

11 hours ago, AledoAlumni said:

Did I say Crosby was like Cedar Park? I said "From my experience his teams play hard and don't quit. I think y'all got a good coach." And you're right. Yall did struggle at the LOS against us. However, our skill kids also outplayed yalls. But back to my point. I think Coach Willis can get yall going in the right direction. 

What are you even making the comparison for then? "Jon Kay's teams played hard at North Shore." You think you're going to still make that type of statement if he went 2-8 at Galena Park and his teams lost by an average of 20+ppg? The last three years he's 14-20. I've probably watched 10-12 Tyler Legacy games since we've hired him while I'm sure you've watched none. Those teams didn't play hard, even with multiple high major Alabama level FBS players, and Legacy certainly wasn't headed in the right direction. 

He doesn't have near the attraction he did at other places like CP and CH. The guy he offered the OC job to turned it down and the DC is also coming out of retirement after giving up 37ppg last year. Some kids that were going to have a major impact on the program have already transferred, especially the kid we lost to North Shore. 

You can think whatever you want to think but as someone who knows nothing about the inner-workings of Crosby and even less about the current personnel in the program outside of what gets talked about here on SETX I don't think your opinion is based in any fact whatsoever. 

23 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You can think whatever you want to think but as someone who knows nothing about the inner-workings of Crosby and even less about the current personnel in the program outside of what gets talked about here on SETX I don't think your opinion is based in any fact whatsoever. 

I literally wrote "From my experience"..... So yeah, my opinion is based upon facts. But hey, chicken little. Good luck!

It blows my mind that kids are transferring over a coach. Did anyone ever consider that if everyone stayed in their hometown instead of jumping ship for an easier route, they’d be stacked with talent and be successful? Not to mention the fact that the kids would actually learn something so important in the real world like loyalty, dealing with adversity, etc. Just my 2 cents as a mother of a female athlete who’s dealt with mediocre programs in Crosby.

Sidenote, what’s your thoughts on the new recruiting coordinator?

42 minutes ago, Pkvalt said:

It blows my mind that kids are transferring over a coach. Did anyone ever consider that if everyone stayed in their hometown instead of jumping ship for an easier route, they’d be stacked with talent and be successful? Not to mention the fact that the kids would actually learn something so important in the real world like loyalty, dealing with adversity, etc. Just my 2 cents as a mother of a female athlete who’s dealt with mediocre programs in Crosby.

All I know for sure is that she is from Crosby. And that’s she’s already hard at work implementing programs that we didn’t have. Still looking forward to  Crosby having a great season. For whatever reason historically Crosby has done well when they’re not favored to win. 

On 6/13/2023 at 9:50 AM, Pkvalt said:

It's a new day, with open enrollment schools everywhere parents are moving their children to a place where they have the best opportunity for success.

My co-worker's son was the starting QB for CE King two years ago, a new staff came in and said they were running a different system and that the QB job was probably going to go to a kid that just transferred in. Instead of keeping him there with the new coach my co-worker got an apartment in New Caney so his son could play there. He ended up leading New Caney to an 11-1 season and furthering his opportunity to play college football. He could've stayed and learned the lesson of dealing with adversity, but he transferred and learned the lesson that "if you believe in yourself you can create your own path to success." 

As far as loyalty, one of Crosby's 8th grade QBs transferred to BH. The kid's dad is way more hard core Crosby than I am, and almost loyal to a fault. Now his son is in a 10x better situation because he broke that loyalty. 

The kids aren't leaving just because of the coach. They're leaving because it's about to be July and they haven't ran a single offensive play or defensive set. Moreover, they don't even know who's on the coaching staff yet? Willis just put out a tweet last week asking for coaching resumes, but I'm sure in his interview he told the supt. he already had everything covered. Our supt. just isn't competent enough to vet things on the athletic side. It no surprise that the 6'3" receiver transfer you were depending on contributing this season hasn't shown up to a single workout after you say you want to run the ball 80% of the time. I would go ahead and count him as gone too. At the end of the day though, the head football coach will always have support from the parents of borderline kids who just want to see their kid get on the field. 

On 6/13/2023 at 10:34 AM, MrFleet23 said:

All I know for sure is that she is from Crosby. And that’s she’s already hard at work implementing programs that we didn’t have. Still looking forward to  Crosby having a great season. For whatever reason historically Crosby has done well when they’re not favored to win. 

She's good on social media but is going to have trouble answering to college personnel directors about a football player's lateral quickness or about a guard's mid-range game. She's really going to be a plus for girls' sports recruiting due to her high activity level on social media though. She's also going to be our head girls track coach which may be concerning to some considering she couldn't really win anything even with all the thoroughbreds North Shore has roaming the campus. This hire was also directed by the supt. 

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Exactly, just a blind shot in the dark with not a single fact related to Crosby. No reputable coach even wants to work for the guy. 

Set down the weights, pull out your reading glasses and put on your think cap. My statement was not about Crosby, it was about Coach Willis and how his teams performed. I said they played hard and didnt quit. Those qualities have nothing to do with talent. 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

She's good on social media but is going to have trouble answering to college personnel directors about a football player's lateral quickness or about a guard's mid-range game. She's really going to be a plus for girls' sports recruiting due to her high activity level on social media though. She's also going to be our head girls track coach which may be concerning to some considering she couldn't really win anything even with all the thoroughbreds North Shore has roaming the campus. This hire was also directed by the supt. 

Was that her role at NS head track coach? 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's a new day, with open enrollment schools everywhere parents are moving their children to a place where they have the best opportunity for success.

My co-worker's son was the starting QB for CE King two years ago, a new staff came in and said they were running a different system and that the QB job was probably going to go to a kid that just transferred in. Instead of keeping him there with the new coach my co-worker got an apartment in New Caney so his son could play there. He ended up leading New Caney to an 11-1 season and furthering his opportunity to play college football. He could've stayed and learned the lesson of dealing with adversity, but he transferred and learned the lesson that "if you believe in yourself you can create your own path to success." 

As far as loyalty, one of Crosby's 8th grade QBs transferred to BH. The kid's dad is way more hard core Crosby than I am, and almost loyal to a fault. Now his son is in a 10x better situation because he broke that loyalty. 

The kids aren't leaving just because of the coach. They're leaving because it's about to be July and they haven't ran a single offensive play or defensive set. Moreover, they don't even know who's on the coaching staff yet? Willis just put out a tweet last week asking for coaching resumes, but I'm sure in his interview he told the supt. he already had everything covered. Our supt. just isn't competent enough to vet things on the athletic side. It no surprise that the 6'3" receiver transfer you were depending on contributing this season hasn't shown up to a single workout after you say you want to run the ball 80% of the time. I would go ahead and count him as gone too. At the end of the day though, the head football coach will always have support from the parents of borderline kids who just want to see their kid get on the field. 

Ummm, what you just explained about the NC QB is a violation of UIL rules and could cause NC to have to forfeit those wins if it can be confirmed. I hate to break it to you, but "believing in yourself" only gets you so far. Learning how to fight through adversity, compete no matter the circumstances, and adapt to a changing environment is what will help the kid actually succeed in life beyond football. I know the kid your talking about, and he's not D1 material and certainly not pro material. So what has his dad really gained him by teaching him to run away from adversity and take the path of least resistance? 

2 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Ummm, what you just explained about the NC QB is a violation of UIL rules and could cause NC to have to forfeit those wins if it can be confirmed. I hate to break it to you, but "believing in yourself" only gets you so far. Learning how to fight through adversity, compete no matter the circumstances, and adapt to a changing environment is what will help the kid actually succeed in life beyond football. I know the kid your talking about, and he's not D1 material and certainly not pro material. So what has his dad really gained him by teaching him to run away from adversity and take the path of least resistance? 

Because of open enrollment, your assumption there was a violation I believe is incorrect.Another QB from Clear Brook transferred to C.E.King with the notion that the Senior Qb has transferred to New Caney,and being a Junior he would be at King for 2 years.He found out another transfer was at King and he would not beat him out,so guess who was the starting QB at Clear Brook last year.None other than the young man who left Clear Brook to go to King,couldn't win the starting job and scampered back and started the 1st game. 6A must have a different set of transfer rules ( Open Enrollment ) than 5A.I know this story because I live in the neighborhood  behind   Clear Brook high school.There was a loss of participation at Clear Brook when he retained the starting job.              

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Coach Willis wanted Coach Cameron, he's had a DPP/football ops type person at his last two stops, he has a defined role for the position and he values it

15 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Lol, maybe in the past but if the coach doesn't check that "moved for athletic purposes" box on the PAPF then you're good. In most cases the coaches at the schools kids are leaving from know why the kids are leaving and sign their paperwork without issue. For instance, Channelview's district MVP QB from last year just transferred to CE King. Kid's family probably never even moved to Sheldon and Coach Hurts still signed his paperwork. 

I never said anything about CE King's old QB being D1 or going pro? I said he would be furthering his college athletic career now that he moved and had another opportunity. Going 11-1 and then winning the Bayou Bowl MVP seemed like it worked out awfully well for him vs sitting on the bench for a year. Not sure what not getting an opportunity to play in college because you sat on the bench all year would've taught him? So what did his dad gain him? A subsidized and basically free education when you add his academic aid. Make sure you're not getting the path of least resistance confused with the path less traveled. 

Joe Burrow wouldn't have gained anything by continuing to sit behind Dewayne Haskins and Justin Fields at Ohio State so he could "learn to deal with adversity". Matter of fact his eligibility would've expired without him even playing a meaningful snap. He believed in himself and transferred to LSU and became the #1 pick in the draft though. 

12 hours ago, Reagan said:

Joe Willis has a winning record and a State Championship.  I'd give him any benefit of the doubt.

JOE WILLIS
14 years; 113-62-0; 12-6-1

Take out the state title year in '12 where he won his first year as head coach at CP with Chris Ross' program and he's a 99-60 or .623 for his career. For comparison, Crosby's old coach Jeff Riordan is sitting at 100-37 for his career even after going 2-8 his first year at Chapel Hill. Dude can just flat out coach 

13 hours ago, Matthew328 said:

Coach Willis wanted Coach Cameron, he's had a DPP/football ops type person at his last two stops, he has a defined role for the position and he values it

Coach Willis screwed over the guy he promised the head girls track coaching job to so Coach Cam could get the job. He's a guy who's a lot better suited to run the football recruiting side of things too. That's one of the reasons none of the guys really trust him or want to work for him. Coach Cam is a generic recruiting coordinator that's going to handle all sports. She's more suited to be a college on-campus recruiting coordinator than a "help you get football scholarships out of high school" person. She will very much help the girls' programs as we've never had anybody to help promote them. 

45 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Coach Willis screwed over the guy he promised the head girls track coaching job to so Coach Cam could get the job. He's a guy who's a lot better suited to run the football recruiting side of things too. That's one of the reasons none of the guys really trust him or want to work for him. Coach Cam is a generic recruiting coordinator that's going to handle all sports. She's more suited to be a college on-campus recruiting coordinator than a "help you get football scholarships out of high school" person. She will very much help the girls' programs as we've never had anybody to help promote them. 

Seeing as how his job is the athletic director, not just football coach, it sounds like he’s doing his job and bringing in people for all sports, not just football. That’s the part of all this people forget.  Football get the most attention, the money, the most everything. I understand why but other sports, especially girl’s sports have always taken a backseat.  

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You would be one of the ones in the community that sabotage the coaches before they ever get started. They hired to Coach Willis to "get the job done" and empowered him (as they should) to do his job. You did not want before you ever knew a thing about him because of his age saying that they should not hire a 60 year old coach (which you were wrong about). I expect you will be against anything he does without consulting with you first. 

On 6/20/2023 at 9:37 AM, Pkvalt said:

Seeing as how his job is the athletic director, not just football coach, it sounds like he’s doing his job and bringing in people for all sports, not just football. That’s the part of all this people forget.  Football get the most attention, the money, the most everything. I understand why but other sports, especially girl’s sports have always taken a backseat.  

Girls sports are always going to take a backseat, as they should. Football and sometime boys basketball are the only sports that have a chance to end up as a net positive for for the school financially. I just talked to Coach Willis about singing my son's PAPF to transfer out and she happened to be there and assured that football was still the priority. She's there for football, the girls' stuff is just an added benefit.   

11 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Girls sports are always going to take a backseat, as they should. Football and sometime boys basketball are the only sports that have a chance to end up as a net positive for for the school financially. I just talked to Coach Willis about singing my son's PAPF to transfer out and she happened to be there and assured that football was still the priority. She's there for football, the girls' stuff is just an added benefit.   

Did you get the PAPF sign off commitment? You could be a "blessing" to another coaching staff somewhere else.

On 6/20/2023 at 11:19 AM, 89Falcon said:

You would be one of the ones in the community that sabotage the coaches before they ever get started. They hired to Coach Willis to "get the job done" and empowered him (as they should) to do his job. You did not want before you ever knew a thing about him because of his age saying that they should not hire a 60 year old coach (which you were wrong about). I expect you will be against anything he does without consulting with you first. 

Parents can't sabotage a coach, especially "before they ever get started". I was being facetious when I said he was 60, that was to highlight he's by far the oldest coach Crosby has initially hired in my 25+ years following the program. We don't have a prim and proper community like Cedar Park or Colleyville so you have to be able to deal with the BS as just part of your job at Crosby.

I didn't want him because he wasn't going to move the needle participation wise and what do you know, rates have dropped even more and kids have transferred out so I was dead on in that assessment. I just talked to him for about an hour to see if I could clean PAPF and I told him I don't think Crosby will make the playoffs or be very successful in the offensive system he runs.

Instead of getting through that we sat in his office and he broke down film of Coastal Carolina vs BYU to show how Crosby would operate against fronts like CE King, talked through recruiting contacts and set up a meeting with my son about trying to get him to stay. I'm not against everything but I've been doing this for a long time and know what good football is supposed to look like. Meanwhile, we haven't run a single offensive play this Summer. I'm sure you know a lot more than me about what goes on at Crosby and I thank you for your concern about the program. 

46 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Parents can't sabotage a coach, especially "before they ever get started". I was being facetious when I said he was 60, that was to highlight he's by far the oldest coach Crosby has initially hired in my 25+ years following the program. We don't have a prim and proper community like Cedar Park or Colleyville so you have to be able to deal with the BS as just part of your job at Crosby.

I didn't want him because he wasn't going to move the needle participation wise and what do you know, rates have dropped even more and kids have transferred out so I was dead on in that assessment. I just talked to him for about an hour to see if I could clean PAPF and I told him I don't think Crosby will make the playoffs or be very successful in the offensive system he runs.

Instead of getting through that we sat in his office and he broke down film of Coastal Carolina vs BYU to show how Crosby would operate against fronts like CE King, talked through recruiting contacts and set up a meeting with my son about trying to get him to stay. I'm not against everything but I've been doing this for a long time and know what good football is supposed to look like. Meanwhile, we haven't run a single offensive play this Summer. I'm sure you know a lot more than me about what goes on at Crosby and I thank you for your concern about the program. 

You need to go to another program. You can tell them how much you know and "what good football is supposed to look like". Be sure to tell the coach that won the state championship "doesnt know what good football looks like".

I bet they will love to have you around. Have you already looked at housing in a new district?  

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

We don't have a prim and proper community like Cedar Park or Colleyville so you have to be able to deal with the BS as just part of your job at Crosby.

Ex: I just talked to him for about an hour to see if I could clean PAPF and I told him I don't think Crosby will make the playoffs or be very successful in the offensive system he runs.

Lmao!!!

36 minutes ago, AledoAlumni said:

Ex: I just talked to him for about an hour to see if I could clean PAPF and I told him I don't think Crosby will make the playoffs or be very successful in the offensive system he runs.

Lmao!!!

With 1000% certainty, I can guarantee you that every coach in Crosby is laughing as well. Probably be remembering him for years to come when they are telling old stories.