BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis

Matthew328

On 5/3/2023 at 11:04 AM, WOSdrummer99 said:

I think @AledoAlumni implys it could be a more toxic situation now. Leading to less interest and application. 

And having 3 good coaches in row is not unheard of. But if there's no true hiring process and it's a rubber stamp whatever the Supt says. Good luck.

I don't know the entire application list but I was actually floored by the quality of candidates we had. Maybe it's the $140k that I heard Ricky Tullos got offered that made the list more appealing but in her somewhat defense she used the same hiring committee process that got us Prieto. 

Now in actuality the way we got the last two coaches was because Dr. Moore knew Riordan from being out in East Texas and our interim supt. before this one knew Coach P from his days in Cypress ISD. With the quality of candidates it was going to be hard for her to "mess up" the hire though. Those resumes from guys with rings just took precedent over ones from coaches like the one from Fort Bend that doesn't have any but it well on his way to being an NCAA coach  

33 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

I get it but I also am not going to blast the new coach because of the admins decision. I'm hoping he turns out to be high quality and brings something to the program that helps make us contenders. His son not playing on a bad team his Freshman year might be because the coach knew how bad the team was. Hopefully his son is a good QB and solves that issue for the next three years, if he's not then maybe we get a Branch situation in the near future. 

One thing I will say is the motions that they did at Cedar Park were the talk of Coaching for several years about how they opened up and exploited defenses with their personnel. I'm hoping we get CP Willis not Tyler Willis because the talent at Crosby is going to be way closer to CP than Tyler. 

I remember vividly coaches going up to CP for camps to learn those motion offenses. Also, possibly the most talented team in Crosby's history got absolutely obliterated by a Willis Coached team in 2014. 

Those weren't Joe Willis' schemes, those were put in place by Chris Ross who built the CP program into what it was before Willis took over in 2012 and won a title. The offenses he ran at CH and TL don't look anything like those smash mouth offenses he ran at CP. You could run that at CP because at that time they were probably the most physically imposing team in the class.

That '14 team probably isn't even top 5, we just got a great draw by going D-II and ran through a bunch of Beaumont, Port Lavaca and a down Brenham. We were better in '15 but drew a powerhouse FB Ridge Point in the 2nd round 

I'm not at all bashing the coach, I just believe we could've done better. We have some certified thoroughbreds about to come through the program and I don't want to see them wasted on a guy standing in or someone who isn't totally engaged. Not saying Willis won't be but I feel a lot more certain other guys would've been. 

Ross, Willis and Abseck were great at CP because of how great CP naturally was at the line of scrimmage. CH was recruited pretty well on o-line also. Yet, you can give him an Alabama caliber RB and defensive linemen at TL and he can't get over .500 because there's not that wide gap in physicality he had at CP. I do like that fact that he's multiple in his offensive scheme though.

5 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Those weren't Joe Willis' schemes, those were put in place by Chris Ross who built the CP program into what it was before Willis took over in 2012 and won a title. The offenses he ran at CH and TL don't look anything like those smash mouth offenses he ran at CP. You could run that at CP because at that time they were probably the most physically imposing team in the class.

That '14 team probably isn't even top 5, we just got a great draw by going D-II and ran through a bunch of Beaumont, Port Lavaca and a down Brenham. We were better in '15 but drew a powerhouse FB Ridge Point in the 2nd round 

I'm not at all bashing the coach, I just believe we could've done better. We have some certified thoroughbreds about to come through the program and I don't want to see them wasted on a guy standing in or someone who isn't totally engaged. Not saying Willis won't be but I feel a lot more certain other guys would've been. 

Three years into his coaching reign and you don't give him credit for those schemes? Seems like your looking for reasons to discredit the guy. You don't seem to be that guy from my interactions with you so is the beef legitimately you just preferred Hurts? 

3 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

Three years into his coaching reign and you don't give him credit for those schemes? Seems like your looking for reasons to discredit the guy. You don't seem to be that guy from my interactions with you so is the beef legitimately you just preferred Hurts? 

I preferred Nick Codutti and two other before Hurts, instead we got the senior citizen 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

The kids that are dead set on playing football are going to play regardless. If you hire Averion Hurts, then you can pull Raelon Singleton's out of the hallway like Riordan did. It gives you immediate clout with the Summer Creek, CE King, North Shore and Baytown kids we've picked up as contributors in the recent past. Especially the quarterbacks and receivers. If you didn't like that then hire the guy out of Fort Bend. If you don't like that then hire the West Texas coach who cut his teeth in North Shore and knows how this area works.

Instead of those younger guys, you go hire a retiree so you can go to the school board, which called you out for lying to them, and say "I got a coach that won a state title". Crosby ain't Colleyville and it definitely ain't Cedar Park. The kids are p.o.'d that their coach got pushed out and "now we have to play for this 2-8 guy". 

I have no doubt the kids did not appreciate losing the other coach but they could care less about the age of the new coach. You drew a lot of conclusions that are not known by assuming the hiring parties logic. The "2-8 guy" is also a "State Champion guy".

The kids will make their assessment as the program gets implemented. If it goes well they forget that Prieto was ever there. If it goes poorly there will be second guessing. There is nothing wrong with the hire on paper. It is just not what "you" wanted.  

6 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Supt. went completely away from what was working. She made a desperation hire to keep the roof from caving in on her. Only way she knew to save face is to bring in a re-tread that people wouldn't try to remove her for. 

I agree though. I don't think Willis is a great fit and I think the game has passed him by to an extent. Crosby is kind of similar to TL in the sense that you have to keep kids "engaged" and he wasn't a great fit there. We had the opportunity to hire some legit needle-movers but the supt. doesn't know enough about athletics to be able to evaluate coaches and make an informed decision. Hiring a 60 year old guy kids couldn't care less about playing for is going to drop the participation rate down lower than it already is.

The stuff Coach P asked for that caused the supt. to ego trip is the same stuff a new coach is going to ask for soon as he gets here. Considering her son was a star receiver here it's baffling that she doesn't have the first clue about what's needed to keep your athletic programs competitive. 

Since we spent $20k on a coaching search committee instead of giving Coach P that money to fix the practice fields I'm pretty sure the applicant list will never be released. We had a guy from "the" West Texas school that wanted the job badly, we had maybe the hottest young coach on the SW side of town that wanted it, we had the guy at the closest school in proximity to Crosby High interested. Instead we go with grandpa who's probably just there to take the $140k for a few years to help his retirement and not make any waves. Smh, what a **** show 

Great points of emphasis. You could do an Open Records request under the "the public information act". Sure they will try and stall and redact some info, but by law they have to release information. To include notes, emails and recording by all that's involved.

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Man, if Eudy doesn't play next year we might go 4-6. Yes, the incoming freshman beat the four CE King and North Shore middle schools by an average of about 40ppg but that was with little Prieto playing QB and throwing about 40 tds. He's gone now. If Eudy doesn't play then he would've been the starter. With the other 8th grade QB transferring to BH since he wasn't going to beat out Prieto we now have no viable QBs in the entire program outside of Eudy. 

It sucks for the program because we were actually going to put some Crosby level talent on the field this year. The skill kids are healthy and the line of scrimmage looks like it was going to be improved over last year. If the kids don't transfer out we're going to have six WRs to choose from that are over 6' tall. The GCM transfer might be the nicest slot receiver we've had for a long while. With all the turmoil I just don't see how Crosby finishes any better than .500 though?   

I agree with you that Eudy needs to the be the QB. But come on, you gotta have more faith in Crosby finishing over .500 (LOL). Seriously I already hear of some issues in the program. That GCM (original Crosby tho) kid you are talking about, I hear some on the staff are playing politics and might not give him the run he needs. Did the same to the older brother. This comes straight from the Dad's mouth, no second hand info. As a Sophomore he was the leading receiver at GCM, so he can definitely catch the ball and pretty decent on the Bball court too.  Well he better sick to football, cause he definitely aint gonna get love from that wanna be BBall coach (ain't worth saying the name). I guess the politic is remnants from the parents moving them 2 years ago, not a talent issue. Thus you have confirmed his abilities as a slot receiver.

5 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Very good chance we miss the party for the 2nd time in 19 years 

Almost happened last year with that coach you like. Aledo played against Coach Willis lead teams in '14-'15 (CP) & '16-'17 (CH). From my experience his teams play hard and don't quit. I think y'all got a good coach. 

1 hour ago, Concerned Citizen said:

I agree with you that Eudy needs to the be the QB. But come on, you gotta have more faith in Crosby finishing over .500 (LOL). Seriously I already hear of some issues in the program. That GCM (original Crosby tho) kid you are talking about, I hear some on the staff are playing politics and might not give him the run he needs. Did the same to the older brother. This comes straight from the Dad's mouth, no second hand info. As a Sophomore he was the leading receiver at GCM, so he can definitely catch the ball and pretty decent on the Bball court too.  Well he better sick to football, cause he definitely aint gonna get love from that wanna be BBall coach (ain't worth saying the name). I guess the politic is remnants from the parents moving them 2 years ago, not a talent issue. Thus you have confirmed his abilities as a slot receiver.

All I can/will say is it wasn’t politics. P might have been one of the few coaches in Crosby history that didn’t do politics. 

9 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Supt. went completely away from what was working. She made a desperation hire to keep the roof from caving in on her. Only way she knew to save face is to bring in a re-tread that people wouldn't try to remove her for. 

I agree though. I don't think Willis is a great fit and I think the game has passed him by to an extent. Crosby is kind of similar to TL in the sense that you have to keep kids "engaged" and he wasn't a great fit there. We had the opportunity to hire some legit needle-movers but the supt. doesn't know enough about athletics to be able to evaluate coaches and make an informed decision. Hiring a 60 year old guy kids couldn't care less about playing for is going to drop the participation rate down lower than it already is.

The stuff Coach P asked for that caused the supt. to ego trip is the same stuff a new coach is going to ask for soon as he gets here. Considering her son was a star receiver here it's baffling that she doesn't have the first clue about what's needed to keep your athletic programs competitive. 

Since we spent $20k on a coaching search committee instead of giving Coach P that money to fix the practice fields I'm pretty sure the applicant list will never be released. We had a guy from "the" West Texas school that wanted the job badly, we had maybe the hottest young coach on the SW side of town that wanted it, we had the guy at the closest school in proximity to Crosby High interested. Instead we go with grandpa who's probably just there to take the $140k for a few years to help his retirement and not make any waves. Smh, what a **** show 

If Crosby wins the District in 2 or 3 years and makes a run for the State Title in, say, the 5th year, NOBODY is going to care if he's 30 years old or 100 years old.  Winning solves A LOT of problems!  

Example:  Just like at PNG, the new coach took them to State.  Now everyone is saying -- Faircloth who?  Why, because the new coach was young?  NO -- because he won!!

Willis is barely over 50....I could tell when he originally retired that he wasn't done....he's got a lot of fire and energy left....he's well thought of by many in Tyler, it didnt work out there mainly because IMO of how the district operates athletics.....2023 is probably going to be tough, but I think it was likely going to be tough if Prieto stayed as well...

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis
3 minutes ago, PNGFaithful said:

I’ve known Joe for a very long time. He’s a hell of a coach and mentor. One thing for sure Crosby will play defense and the best 11 players will be on the field. 

One of my biggest request was a coach that emphasized defense because when Coach P did we were very very good. I think it's the biggest slight on the Rio regime was that we didn't play defense... that PNG-Crosby game still haunts me. 

8 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

One of my biggest request was a coach that emphasized defense because when Coach P did we were very very good. I think it's the biggest slight on the Rio regime was that we didn't play defense... that PNG-Crosby game still haunts me. 

Watch his interview on the ISD Facebook Page. He emphasized Crosby will be physical. 

Although we won that game it still embarrasses me we had to score 72 point to win a game. 

1 minute ago, PNGFaithful said:

Watch his interview on the ISD Facebook Page. He emphasized Crosby will be physical. 

Although we won that game it still embarrasses me we had to score 72 point to win a game. 

TBF to Crosby's defense you did have a professional runningback playing QB for you... he did very little QBing that game... 

2 minutes ago, PNGFaithful said:

I will, his initial statement was we are going to be fast and physical in his written introduction too. Crosby being fast and physical is exactly how we will compete in larger classifications. 

For my people who like Records. I did not include his time as HC before Cedar Park largely because I couldn't figure out what years. 

W L Playoffs
2012 Cedar Park 14 2 State Champs
2013 Cedar Park 11 2 Regionals
2014 Cedar Park 12 4 Finalist
2015 Colleyville Heritage 5 6 Bi-district
2016 Colleyville Heritage 10 4 Quarterfinals
2017 Colleyville Heritage 11 2 Regionals
2018 Colleyville Heritage 5 6 Bi-district
2019 Colleyville Heritage 9 5 Quarterfinals
2020 Tyler Legacy 6 7 Area
2021 Tyler Legacy 6 6 Area
2022 Tyler Legacy 2 8  
    91 52  

17 hours ago, Reagan said:

If Crosby wins the District in 2 or 3 years and makes a run for the State Title in, say, the 5th year, NOBODY is going to care if he's 30 years old or 100 years old.  Winning solves A LOT of problems!  

Example:  Just like at PNG, the new coach took them to State.  Now everyone is saying -- Faircloth who?  Why, because the new coach was young?  NO -- because he won!!

This is the truth. We have to develop a physical brand to play with the bigger schools and if we can then the talent that consistently walks through the hallways at Crosby will be doing big things.