BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis

Matthew328

On 4/26/2023 at 7:37 PM, myrecordwashorrible said:

75,600 minutes would work out to to approximately 15000 minutes for each day of the week over a 36 week schedule (six 6 week sessions).  That would mean 15000 over 36 weeks would have to be absorbed into the other 4 days over that time period.  That works out to over 1.5 hours a day added.  There must be something I missing.   

Does anyone know the average time added each day at places such as Devers that do this year round?  If I'm not mistaken some schools are doing this some weeks and not others.

While putting this essentially useless diatribe together I found an article about a one school day being 28 minutes longer.  They extended the school year by 3 weeks as well to capture those extra minutes. That goes back to 89Falcon pointing out the loss of some breaks during the school year as a way to get the time covered. 

Yup.  Or some districts Might extend the school year a week, have the students attend select Fridays at the beginning of the year, and cut a day or two off of this or that break.  As a teacher, I'm holding out hope that I get the opportunity for a 4-day work week at some point before I retire.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Concerned Citizen said:

This going to be interesting as a hire. I am not sure how things will work hiring someone that decided to retire then come back out of retirement. Seems like he is well qualified, but was he the best fit for a small town like Crosby (another thread needed for that discussion).

I would’ve liked to see someone younger. He’s had tremendous success at CP but no where else. Someone 36-46 with enough piss and vinegar to get the kids up and buying in. Not a someone their pawpaw age. 

17 hours ago, MrFleet23 said:

I would’ve liked to see someone younger. He’s had tremendous success at CP but no where else. Someone 36-46 with enough piss and vinegar to get the kids up and buying in. Not a someone their pawpaw age. 

Supt. went completely away from what was working. She made a desperation hire to keep the roof from caving in on her. Only way she knew to save face is to bring in a re-tread that people wouldn't try to remove her for. 

I agree though. I don't think Willis is a great fit and I think the game has passed him by to an extent. Crosby is kind of similar to TL in the sense that you have to keep kids "engaged" and he wasn't a great fit there. We had the opportunity to hire some legit needle-movers but the supt. doesn't know enough about athletics to be able to evaluate coaches and make an informed decision. Hiring a 60 year old guy kids couldn't care less about playing for is going to drop the participation rate down lower than it already is.

The stuff Coach P asked for that caused the supt. to ego trip is the same stuff a new coach is going to ask for soon as he gets here. Considering her son was a star receiver here it's baffling that she doesn't have the first clue about what's needed to keep your athletic programs competitive. 

Since we spent $20k on a coaching search committee instead of giving Coach P that money to fix the practice fields I'm pretty sure the applicant list will never be released. We had a guy from "the" West Texas school that wanted the job badly, we had maybe the hottest young coach on the SW side of town that wanted it, we had the guy at the closest school in proximity to Crosby High interested. Instead we go with grandpa who's probably just there to take the $140k for a few years to help his retirement and not make any waves. Smh, what a **** show 

1 hour ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Supt. went completely away from what was working. She made a desperation hire to keep the roof from caving in on her. Only way she knew to save face is to bring in a re-tread that people wouldn't try to remove her for. 

I agree though. I don't think Willis is a great fit and I think the game has passed him by to an extent. Crosby is kind of similar to TL in the sense that you have to keep kids "engaged" and he wasn't a great fit there. We had the opportunity to hire some legit needle-movers but the supt. doesn't know enough about athletics to be able to evaluate coaches and make an informed decision. Hiring a 60 year old guy kids couldn't care less about playing for is going to drop the participation rate down lower than it already is.

The stuff Coach P asked for that caused the supt. to ego trip is the same stuff a new coach is going to ask for soon as he gets here. Considering her son was a star receiver here it's baffling that she doesn't have the first clue about what's needed to keep your athletic programs competitive. 

Since we spent $20k on a coaching search committee instead of giving Coach P that money to fix the practice fields I'm pretty sure the applicant list will never be released. We had a guy from "the" West Texas school that wanted the job badly, we had maybe the hottest young coach on the SW side of town that wanted it, we had the guy at the closest school in proximity to Crosby High interested. Instead we go with grandpa who's probably just there to take the $140k for a few years to help his retirement and not make any waves. Smh, what a **** show 

LOL. You think the kids are thinking "we will not play for a 60 year old coach"? 

18 hours ago, MrFleet23 said:

They had a guy already on staff that checked these boxes and was instrumental in developing the success that the Cougars have had lately.

2 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Yikes, seems someone's not happy. 

Getting a coach with a ship and another title appearance doesn't seem like the worst hire to me. He did just retire from Tyler Legacy but I question how much of that was not liking to lose. He was very successful at CP and heard very good things from friends up in Colleyville about him. And what if he is a couple year stand in? If he does a good job in those years and steps away you get your pick of the crop instead of the pick of the surplus that we had this year.  

On 5/2/2023 at 12:12 PM, MrFleet23 said:

Shouldn’t be. For whatever reason CHS didn’t look like a 5AD1 team last yr. OL and DL were tiny. Not looking forward to them being bigger this coming yr either. However next yrs FR have shut out North Shore and CE Kings feeder schools as well as swept the district in BBall two yrs in a row. First time I’ve ever seen Crosby kids line up and be bigger physically than those schools mentioned. 5AD1 is a different animal. La Porte is building BH is building and PA has a steady influx of talent. Whomever takes over at CHS will need the support of the Sup and the Community to be successful. 

Man, if Eudy doesn't play next year we might go 4-6. Yes, the incoming freshman beat the four CE King and North Shore middle schools by an average of about 40ppg but that was with little Prieto playing QB and throwing about 40 tds. He's gone now. If Eudy doesn't play then he would've been the starter. With the other 8th grade QB transferring to BH since he wasn't going to beat out Prieto we now have no viable QBs in the entire program outside of Eudy. 

It sucks for the program because we were actually going to put some Crosby level talent on the field this year. The skill kids are healthy and the line of scrimmage looks like it was going to be improved over last year. If the kids don't transfer out we're going to have six WRs to choose from that are over 6' tall. The GCM transfer might be the nicest slot receiver we've had for a long while. With all the turmoil I just don't see how Crosby finishes any better than .500 though?   

1 minute ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Man, if Eudy doesn't play next year we might go 4-6. Yes, the incoming freshman beat the four CE King and North Shore middle schools by an average of about 40ppg but that was with little Prieto playing QB and throwing about 40 tds. He's gone now. If Eudy doesn't play then he would've been the starter. With the other 8th grade QB transferring to BH since he wasn't going to beat out Prieto we now have no viable QBs in the entire program outside of Eudy. 

It sucks for the program because we were actually going to put some Crosby level talent on the field this year. The skill kids are healthy and the line of scrimmage looks like it was going to be improved over last year. If the kids don't transfer out we're going to have six WRs to choose from that are over 6' tall. The GCM transfer might be the nicest slot receiver we've had for a long while. With all the turmoil I just don't see how Crosby finishes any better than .500 though?   

Looks like Willis is bringing his son whos a QB. How good who knows. 

6 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

One thing that makes some sense is his son is a Sophomore QB for Tyler Legacy... so your bringing in the coaches son at QB quite possibly as well. I think his retirement was a façade to find a better program for his kids to play for. Just speculation ofc. 

Yeah, and Willis didn't play him over a kid that completed 44% of his passes with 5tds and 8 ints on the season

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

LOL. You think the kids are thinking "we will not play for a 60 year old coach"? 

The kids that are dead set on playing football are going to play regardless. If you hire Averion Hurts, then you can pull Raelon Singleton's out of the hallway like Riordan did. It gives you immediate clout with the Summer Creek, CE King, North Shore and Baytown kids we've picked up as contributors in the recent past. Especially the quarterbacks and receivers. If you didn't like that then hire the guy out of Fort Bend. If you don't like that then hire the West Texas coach who cut his teeth in North Shore and knows how this area works.

Instead of those younger guys, you go hire a retiree so you can go to the school board, which called you out for lying to them, and say "I got a coach that won a state title". Crosby ain't Colleyville and it definitely ain't Cedar Park. The kids are p.o.'d that their coach got pushed out and "now we have to play for this 2-8 guy". 

21 minutes ago, Cougtalk said:

He was a Freshman TBF. 

You know how critical I am of questionable stuff and I'm here to tell you I would've been 1000% Prieto starting starting his son at QB as a freshman if Eudy didn't play. Kid is an absolute stud and would've broken every passing record at the school except for maybe Kellen Haynes single season yards record. Remember that freshman QB that touched us up in the A&M Consol. game, little Prieto had that level talent. 

1 minute ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You know how critical I am of questionable stuff and I'm here to tell you I would've been 1000% Prieto starting starting his son at QB as a freshman if Eudy didn't play. Kid is an absolute stud and would've broken every passing record at the school except for maybe Kellen Haynes single season yards record. Remember that freshman QB that touched us up in the A&M Consol. game, little Prieto had that level talent. 

I get it but I also am not going to blast the new coach because of the admins decision. I'm hoping he turns out to be high quality and brings something to the program that helps make us contenders. His son not playing on a bad team his Freshman year might be because the coach knew how bad the team was. Hopefully his son is a good QB and solves that issue for the next three years, if he's not then maybe we get a Branch situation in the near future. 

One thing I will say is the motions that they did at Cedar Park were the talk of Coaching for several years about how they opened up and exploited defenses with their personnel. I'm hoping we get CP Willis not Tyler Willis because the talent at Crosby is going to be way closer to CP than Tyler. 

I remember vividly coaches going up to CP for camps to learn those motion offenses. Also, possibly the most talented team in Crosby's history got absolutely obliterated by a Willis Coached team in 2014. 

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis