BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis

Matthew328

31 minutes ago, Cougar14.2 said:

There is something to that. What sucks is when you have a bunch of homegrown kids and lose to one of those teams though. Almost everybody you play deep in the 5A and 6A playoffs have free agents though. It's just like the transfer portal in college now, if you want to be/stay competitive you get with the game. CE King looks like they're trying to become a Desoto to North Shore's Duncanville and one that they all have in common is open enrollment. The only way to combat playing some of those all-start teams is to get into the talent acquisition business yourself  

You are absolutely right, transfers are happening daily HS just don't have an official portal. Now (more so) kids are getting together and all transferring to the same schools etc... Especially in basketball, they spend a lot of time playing AAU and become good friends. If I HS program ain't acquiring players then they have the potential to not be as great.

I think there is a lot of homegrown talent in Crosby, but a lot get weeded out or discouraged at the MS level. I seen it first hand, the MS coaches only let certain kids tryout for certain positions. During our time the "prerequisite" to be a WR you had to be a taller kid (LMAO). Not base on skills but on height. 

1 hour ago, Concerned Citizen said:

You are absolutely right, transfers are happening daily HS just don't have an official portal. Now (more so) kids are getting together and all transferring to the same schools etc... Especially in basketball, they spend a lot of time playing AAU and become good friends. If I HS program ain't acquiring players then they have the potential to not be as great.

I think there is a lot of homegrown talent in Crosby, but a lot get weeded out or discouraged at the MS level. I seen it first hand, the MS coaches only let certain kids tryout for certain positions. During our time the "prerequisite" to be a WR you had to be a taller kid (LMAO). Not base on skills but on height. 

Yep, "MS coaches only let certain kids tryout for certain positions" and kids get "discouraged" because they and their parents know more than the coaches who are hired/managed by the AD/HFC who also doesnt know anything because he actually runs the MS program. MS coaches operating on behalf of the AD/HFC "do not regard skills" but instead look for "height". 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You won't. After Levi graduates I doubt I even care about Crosby athletics anymore. I'll take my classmate's advice, who's the assistant AD in Galena Park ISD, and probably move my other sons to North Shore where there's a lot more stability and opportunity. I was asked during his sophomore year at the powerlifting meet to bring him to Channelview. I let him make the choice and he wanted to stay and now his recruiting has been killed because of it. My next son to play varsity is who I refer to as my "prize steer", I won't be allowing the trash that goes on at Crosby to cause detriment to any of his future chances. Willis will probably be gone in three years anyway, I think he was just searching for a place little Johnny could play without much blowback from the community. It's so bad right now I bet he could probably go 12-18 in that three year stretch and still keep his job. Supt will say "but look what he did in 2012!" 

Just move to BH and get it over with you know you want to be an Eagle 🫶

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

You won't. After Levi graduates I doubt I even care about Crosby athletics anymore. I'll take my classmate's advice, who's the assistant AD in Galena Park ISD, and probably move my other sons to North Shore where there's a lot more stability and opportunity. I was asked during his sophomore year at the powerlifting meet to bring him to Channelview. I let him make the choice and he wanted to stay and now his recruiting has been killed because of it. My next son to play varsity is who I refer to as my "prize steer", I won't be allowing the trash that goes on at Crosby to cause detriment to any of his future chances. Willis will probably be gone in three years anyway, I think he was just searching for a place little Johnny could play without much blowback from the community. It's so bad right now I bet he could probably go 12-18 in that three year stretch and still keep his job. Supt will say "but look what he did in 2012!" 

Never seen such a bitter fan. 

19 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Facts about recruiting, when Rio was there tons of kids got D1 oppurtunites. Not sure how you compete in the state title game and no kid (not transfers) gets a D1 scholarship, but from that experience many coaches went on to take greater opportunities. The mere fact you in the title game mean you have talent on that roster.

Branch was the only one with the D1 offer and that was a result of him time at Goose Creek. UIW have/had a pipeline back to Goose Creek, they recruited several kids from that district (Haywood, Keke, etc....). So yes sometimes you have to move for better opportunities. I say to the naysayers, "the grass aint always greener on the other side". Thats okay, I'll water it when I get there (LMAO)..... 

17 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, "MS coaches only let certain kids tryout for certain positions" and kids get "discouraged" because they and their parents know more than the coaches who are hired/managed by the AD/HFC who also doesnt know anything because he actually runs the MS program. MS coaches operating on behalf of the AD/HFC "do not regard skills" but instead look for "height". 

Your experiences are not my experiences. What parents have to do with stating facts? Maybe some parents do know more than a coach, but they desire to find employment in different professions. Just cause a "parent" don't walk around in sweats and a whistle around there neck all day does not mean they are clueless. 

19 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

This is the hidden content, please

The town of Crosby/Barrett Station always possessed talent. However, that talent often had to leave Crosby to thrive, even wayyy back then. Martin Lemond grew up in Barrett but had to attend Sterling in Baytown. Likewise with Brian Johnson, had to move to Lee to thrive. So I guess those parents were delusional too, yeah right. Do what's in the best interest of your children.

58 minutes ago, Concerned Citizen said:

Your experiences are not my experiences. What parents have to do with stating facts? Maybe some parents do know more than a coach, but they desire to find employment in different professions. Just cause a "parent" don't walk around in sweats and a whistle around there neck all day does not mean they are clueless. 

All of said parents definitely would express a similar sentiment. What 100% of coaches know is that parents are generally misinformed about their kids work habits and behavior when they are at school and practice. There are not many coaches who are not interested in winning and take enjoyment from "playing favorites" while "losing". Coaches also know that it takes kids to have a winning program and you can ill-afford to run kids off. However, they also know that you cannot win with counterproductive behavior in the program as well.

I dont think I have ever seen one of the parents of the behavior problem kids believe anything other than their kid was mistreated, their kid deserves to play or the coaches dont know what they are doing. In life it is generally safe to assume that the person doing something for a living, does indeed actually know a little more than those who do not.   

I have a question. My kid doesn’t play football so I only know the recruiting process for other sports. For my kid, it’s pretty much all on her to contact schools, send videos, build those relationships, and do the work to get recruited. Is it not the same for football? Doesn’t Crosby football have tons of college coaches out every spring to watch the boys not to mention all the press that football gets compared to other sports. What exactly do y’all expect the coaches to do? Just curious.

38 minutes ago, Pkvalt said:

I have a question. My kid doesn’t play football so I only know the recruiting process for other sports. For my kid, it’s pretty much all on her to contact schools, send videos, build those relationships, and do the work to get recruited. Is it not the same for football? Doesn’t Crosby football have tons of college coaches out every spring to watch the boys not to mention all the press that football gets compared to other sports. What exactly do y’all expect the coaches to do? Just curious.

Lots of coaches put in a tremendous amount of effort to get scholarships for their non-superstar athletes. Sadly there are also lots of coaches that put in minimal effort there (seems like this might be the case for your daughter). It just depends on a coach-to-coach basis. Its also much easier for kids to put themselves on the recruiting map these days with social media, so that may factor into a coach's efforts.

On 5/23/2023 at 11:31 AM, Vini vidi said:

Not a fan of high school coaches recruiting kids in. Know it’s done a lot especially east Houston and beyond but something about winning with what you have is appealing. 

Man y’all love to say NS recruits, please name a player that NS has recruited? The school & the success recruits itself! 

6 hours ago, Pkvalt said:

I would say the coaches should be a lobbyist for their players with the colleges. Other wise the random contact is just one of many and might not get the attention from said college coach. From all that I have heard college coaches rarely respond to player/parent emails. One would think through the years the HS coach have developed countless relationships throughout the college ranks and he/she could make a call and say "check out this player". That phone call could get a player from the bottom of the stack to the top. Now if you are top ranked then there is not much vouching needed.

Grant it each sport is a little different. First hand account from David Dumars (Joe Dumars brother) asst Bball coach with Mcneese. I was on a college visit with my son and he stated, when they are looking for player(s) they usually contact some scouting services. Jim Hicks with RCS sports here in Houston is who he would call, his scouting service provides intel/recommendations about players to the college coaches. Scouting services have to be certified through the NCAA.

I'll give you another specific example, in roughly 2016 Dayton Bball team got more players scholarships than Crosby and Dayton did not even make the playoffs. Why, their coach was once an asst at Lee College and knew many coaches to contact. Archie Myles went to Ca,, Godfrey went somewhere in Kansas and there was another kid went somewhere else. That year Crosby Bball had ZERO go to college for BBall. Whats even crazier one of the kids had grade issues and didn't play his entire senior season, but still went on to a college.

How can you be in a tenured HS coach (no matter the sports) and don't have anyone you can call at the next level and say check out this player.

18 minutes ago, Concerned Citizen said:

I would say the coaches should be a lobbyist for their players with the colleges. Other wise the random contact is just one of many and might not get the attention from said college coach. From all that I have heard college coaches rarely respond to player/parent emails. One would think through the years the HS coach have developed countless relationships throughout the college ranks and he/she could make a call and say "check out this player". That phone call could get a player from the bottom of the stack to the top. Now if you are top ranked then there is not much vouching needed.

Grant it each sport is a little different. First hand account from David Dumars (Joe Dumars brother) asst Bball coach with Mcneese. I was on a college visit with my son and he stated, when they are looking for player(s) they usually contact some scouting services. Jim Hicks with RCS sports here in Houston is who he would call, his scouting service provides intel/recommendations about players to the college coaches. Scouting services have to be certified through the NCAA.

I'll give you another specific example, in roughly 2016 Dayton Bball team got more players scholarships than Crosby and Dayton did not even make the playoffs. Why, their coach was once an asst at Lee College and knew many coaches to contact. Archie Myles went to Ca,, Godfrey went somewhere in Kansas and there was another kid went somewhere else. That year Crosby Bball had ZERO go to college for BBall. Whats even crazier one of the kids had grade issues and didn't play his entire senior season, but still went on to a college.

How can you be in a tenured HS coach (no matter the sports) and don't have anyone you can call at the next level and say check out this player.

Coaches do develop relationships with the college ranks. Coaches also lobby on behalf of the players so long as the player has no character deficiency that would make the coach look bad. If a player is not getting recruited is usually because the player's behavior is not worth the risk to the coach. As stated previously, the coaches see the kids everyday and in many cases, spend more time with the players than the parents do.

I wish I had a nickel for every player that could have played college ball but acted the fool at school and practice and as a result went nowhere. Meanwhile, the parents and community could not understand why the player "did not get support from the coaches" or "why he was not recruited". 

11 hours ago, Concerned Citizen said:

The main problem is, many parents can't see that their kid is not college football material and they are dumbfounded when their child doesn't get a scholarship. It's not always a "lack of promotion by coaches" issue, it's a "my kid isn't good enough" problem. 

Thanks for the clarification. So it’s totally different than what we’re experiencing for volleyball. Interesting. Recruiting services and coaches instead of the players reaching out aren’t what they’re looking for. They want to see the kids making the effort and to get to know them, not their coach or parents.

High school football recruiting changed drastically after the portal and covid. There are college recruiters online that will tell you straight up they are looking for someone who fits the bill physically. 5’11 LB is going JUCO 5’8 RB/WR better be a 4.3. Everyone thinks that if you can play you can play no matter the size ,and that may be true, but when your job depends on it you’re probably going with a 6’3 transfer over a LB under 6’. Best bet is to get your kid to put as much on paper/film as possible. That means track, powerlifting, basketball and attending camps. 
In regards to Rio the kids he had to work with all fit the bill physically and in the classroom. Netherly, Williams , and Patterson all were all district academics. Nethery 6’2 WR 2nd place in state 400m. Patterson 5’11WR went to state in 200m. Williams 5’8 HB with a laser timed 4.35. 

Keep your eyes on Luke Smith from Crosby at UMHB. He's the kind of guy who will go there and thrive in that offensive system, as well as compete for national championships each year. That program is one of the best in the nation and the facilities are second to none for that level of NCAA. This is a much better landing spot for Luke, even without a scholarship, than getting a scholly to some directional school in Oklahoma. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/23/2023 at 7:50 PM, PNGFaithful said:

Never seen such a bitter fan. 

Fan is short for fanatic. Usually fanatics can’t see without team colored glasses. I’m Crosby to the core but some things are just blatantly obvious, like Crosby being 6 days away from summer workouts starting and still not having a coaching staff. Seems like nobody want to work for the guy people here think is a solid hire. 

On 5/23/2023 at 6:35 PM, BHFAN said:

Just move to BH and get it over with you know you want to be an Eagle 🫶

Lol, I can’t even stand all that blue during track meets. I wish he had this kid back at Crosby now though. He left because he was in the same class with little Prieto and wasn’t going to beat him out. Now we lost two stud qbs because of this grease fire and will probably be rolling with Willis’ son at qb. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Lol, I can’t even stand all that blue during track meets. I wish he had this kid back at Crosby now though. He left because he was in the same class with little Prieto and wasn’t going to beat him out. Now we lost two stud qbs because of this grease fire and will probably be rolling with Willis’ son at qb. 

Kid looks good in blue though. Speaking of track 😎 BH did well. Looking for a good season at BH. 

On 5/22/2023 at 7:57 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

Only difference is Crosby doesn't have the Hutchins Twins(Thomas Hutchins 5A player of the year), Myles Cheatum, an NFL caliber left tackle and average about 6'3" and 285lbs across the line of scrimmage. Other than that we're just like those Cedar Park teams. Aledo didn't blast Crosby because y'all were just unbelievable at the skill positions, it was because we couldn't compete at the line of scrimmage. We still have those issues. 

Did I say Crosby was like Cedar Park? I said "From my experience his teams play hard and don't quit. I think y'all got a good coach." And you're right. Yall did struggle at the LOS against us. However, our skill kids also outplayed yalls. But back to my point. I think Coach Willis can get yall going in the right direction.