BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis

Matthew328

32 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

There would be concern getting those kids to the school on Friday for the games. Most coaches like the fact that the kids are at school already that day.

15-18 years old with massive amounts of free time is scary for coaches. Baby sitting them all day in a field house to keep them from doing something foolish isn't fun either.  Lengthening school days and then having later practices on Monday-Wednesday has to stink. 

Give me a straight teaching job an a 4 day schedule, heck yeah!  Coaching duties with it on a 4 day schedule could be a nightmare. 

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

There would be concern getting those kids to the school on Friday for the games. Most coaches like the fact that the kids are at school already that day.

Most coaches like sleep Thursday night/Friday morning combined with not having to deal with the classroom on game day. Kids will show for the game. Would be different showing for practice. I know many coaches who are doing the 4-day week at various districts. Not a single one of them has said they had a problem getting kids to show up on game day. 

5 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Most coaches like sleep Thursday night/Friday morning combined with not having to deal with the classroom on game day. Kids will show for the game. Would be different showing for practice. I know many coaches who are doing the 4-day week at various districts. Not a single one of them has said they had a problem getting kids to show up on game day. 

If a kid can't show up for a game then in my opinion they shouldn't have been on the team to begin with. 

17 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

15-18 years old with massive amounts of free time is scary for coaches. Baby sitting them all day in a field house to keep them from doing something foolish isn't fun either.  Lengthening school days and then having later practices on Monday-Wednesday has to stink. 

Give me a straight teaching job an a 4 day schedule, heck yeah!  Coaching duties with it on a 4 day schedule could be a nightmare. 

Why would someone “baby sit them all day on Friday”? They come in at 12:30-1. School day lengthened 20 minutes vs no sleep on Thursday night? Every coach on the planet is there for the 20 minutes anyway.

24 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Why would someone “baby sit them all day on Friday”? They come in at 12:30-1. School day lengthened 20 minutes vs no sleep on Thursday night? Every coach on the planet is there for the 20 minutes anyway.

If you are accurate about a lengthened school day of only 20 minutes, I would be on board.  However, based on an instructional calendar that involves 75,600 minutes of instruction per year, I would be intrigued as to how schools aren't lengthening school days dramatically.  Maybe it has to do with how extracurricular based classes and others that aren't part of the hour requirement.... then I stand corrected. 

This leads me to a question.  Can a school on a 4 day week run an "athletic period" on the 1 off day each week?  

Having worked in an inner city school, I would hate to work the logistics of getting all the athletes to school on  Friday game day when so few have personal transportation.  Just interesting things that this type of scheduling would bring about. 

It seems more small town schools are moving to this model.  Having an 0-7 or 0-8 team at a 2A or 3A school that has no Friday classes could lead to some interesting scenarios on how many kids decide week 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 fishing/hunting trips become more important than football. 

2 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

If you are accurate about a lengthened school day of only 20 minutes, I would be on board.  However, based on an instructional calendar that involves 75,600 minutes of instruction per year, I would be intrigued as to how schools aren't lengthening school days dramatically.  Maybe it has to do with how extracurricular based classes and others that aren't part of the hour requirement.... then I stand corrected. 

This leads me to a question.  Can a school on a 4 day week run an "athletic period" on the 1 off day each week?  

Having worked in an inner city school, I would hate to work the logistics of getting all the athletes to school on  Friday game day when so few have personal transportation.  Just interesting things that this type of scheduling would bring about. 

It seems more small town schools are moving to this model.  Having an 0-7 or 0-8 team at a 2A or 3A school that has no Friday classes could lead to some interesting scenarios on how many kids decide week 8 or 9 or 10 or 11 fishing/hunting trips become more important than football. 

You can practice whether school is in or not. Many sports practice through holidays. The trade off for the schools going to the 4 day week is that loss some of the things like "Fall Break" and 'Winter Break".

6 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

You can practice whether school is in or not. Many sports practice through holidays. The trade off for the schools going to the 4 day week is that loss some of the things like "Fall Break" and 'Winter Break".

I fully understand about practice. I am wondering about off-season.  Are schools limited to only the athletic period?  I know there are loads of unethical ways around (claiming in paper everyone is a track athlete, power lifter, etc). 

I actually teach a college course where I get into UIL rules.  I simply did not work in public schools when the 4 day week came into play and I'm curious about some of the inner workings of such. 

Football player only, not in other sports.  Can an off season workout session be run on a Friday for said kid?  

2 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

I've often wonder that too. How does 80 mins equal and entire school day?

75,600 minutes would work out to to approximately 15000 minutes for each day of the week over a 36 week schedule (six 6 week sessions).  That would mean 15000 over 36 weeks would have to be absorbed into the other 4 days over that time period.  That works out to over 1.5 hours a day added.  There must be something I missing.   

Does anyone know the average time added each day at places such as Devers that do this year round?  If I'm not mistaken some schools are doing this some weeks and not others.

While putting this essentially useless diatribe together I found an article about a one school day being 28 minutes longer.  They extended the school year by 3 weeks as well to capture those extra minutes. That goes back to 89Falcon pointing out the loss of some breaks during the school year as a way to get the time covered. 

17 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

75,600 minutes would work out to to approximately 15000 minutes for each day of the week over a 36 week schedule (six 6 week sessions).  That would mean 15000 over 36 weeks would have to be absorbed into the other 4 days over that time period.  That works out to over 1.5 hours a day added.  There must be something I missing.   

Does anyone know the average time added each day at places such as Devers that do this year round?  If I'm not mistaken some schools are doing this some weeks and not others.

While putting this essentially useless diatribe together I found an article about a one school day being 28 minutes longer.  They extended the school year by 3 weeks as well to capture those extra minutes. That goes back to 89Falcon pointing out the loss of some breaks during the school year as a way to get the time covered. 

Crosby is adding 20 min each day, starting a week early (7th), taking away small breaks(except labor day, MLK, and good friday), still getting basic week breaks(Thanksgiving, 2 weeks Christmas, Spring Break), going to 5 day weeks during month of April, and ending on May 30.

This is the hidden content, please

On 4/25/2023 at 10:54 AM, RidinTheRange said:

A former employee of the district, that thinks they can do a better job than Coach Prieto, has the ear of the Supt. and stirred up some of the town people.  Coach Prieto was tired of hearing all the BS from people looking into the fish bowl, but with no actual skin on the game, and had enough.  This is a classic small town screw job by people that don't have a clue.  I had become a Crosby from a far, now I hope they get what they deserve every Friday night!

Good Luck to Coach Prieto, he'll be just fine!!!

I wonder who this mann could be?

24 minutes ago, torrey pines said:

I wonder who this mann could be?

Interesting first post. Hard to believe that Mann would want to leave his job in his hometown and move all the way across the state, but I guess stranger things have happened. 

13 hours ago, Justafan72 said:

RidinTheRange wants Crosby to get what they deserve every Friday night !! These are kids we are talking about, they don't deserve a post like that.The Cougars I know will give it their all.  

All of the sudden  it's about "the kids".  The kids were being served well by the coach that got railroaded out of town.  That's where the concern should be.

12 minutes ago, RidinTheRange said:

All of the sudden  it's about "the kids".  The kids were being served well by the coach that got railroaded out of town.  That's where the concern should be.

Exactly. Crosby just ran off the coach that had the best run in the history of the program. Now the peanut gallery is talking about "what the kids deserve". The kids deserve whatever they get, no different than what the kids "deserve" in every other district. 

• WOSdrummer99 changed the title to BREAKING Crosby hires HFC/AD Joe Willis