Silsbee (56) vs Cuero (58) - FINAL

wo-s#1

Officiating didn’t cost Silsbee the game.   Silsbee cost Silsbee the game.   Blaming the officials is always the easy way out.   They clearly missed some calls, they always do.   Unfortunately, they missed some big calls.   It’s part of every game.

If Silsbee plays 2 halves of football, it doesn’t come down to a missed call, they run away with the game.   How do you go from giving up 7 points, 24 minutes in, to giving up 41, 24 minutes later?

Cuero made much better adjustments offensively than Silsbee did defensively.   For as great as Silsbee was on offense, to lay an egg at the end of the game was unfortunate.   The officials didn’t do that either.

IMO, Silsbee had the better players, and football team.   Cuero had the better staff, and made better adjustments.   Who’s to say that Silsbee woulda stopped Cuero if they would have ruled the QB down?

Football still has 3 phases and Silsbee was outplayed in special teams, and you can say that cost them the game. 

1 hour ago, MackLewis said:

Officiating didn’t cost Silsbee the game.   Silsbee cost Silsbee the game.   Blaming the officials is always the easy way out.   They clearly missed some calls, they always do.   Unfortunately, they missed some big calls.   It’s part of every game.

If Silsbee plays 2 halves of football, it doesn’t come down to a missed call, they run away with the game.   How do you go from giving up 7 points, 24 minutes in, to giving up 41, 24 minutes later?

Cuero made much better adjustments offensively than Silsbee did defensively.   For as great as Silsbee was on offense, to lay an egg at the end of the game was unfortunate.   The officials didn’t do that either.

IMO, Silsbee had the better players, and football team.   Cuero had the better staff, and made better adjustments.   Who’s to say that Silsbee woulda stopped Cuero if they would have ruled the QB down?

Football still has 3 phases and Silsbee was outplayed in special teams, and you can say that cost them the game. 

The play that is in question is the 2 point attempt in 2nd ot. 

Just now, wo-s#1 said:

I thought it wasn’t going to ot,confused as to why the offense was out there with what 5 seconds left in the game…then got false start and missed the fg 🤷‍♂️ 

I'm talking about the picture of the Cuero QB with his knee down that others are referring to.

3 minutes ago, wo-s#1 said:

I thought it wasn’t going to ot,confused as to why the offense was out there with what 5 seconds left in the game…then got false start and missed the fg 🤷‍♂️ 

There were 8 seconds left.  Would love to know what they play call was.  Assume 1 shot not #1 and then kick it.  The holder did an excellent job of giving the kicker a chance. The snap was was on his right and he had to bring around and get it down quickly. 

2 hours ago, MackLewis said:

The refs weren’t the ones giving up TDs on two and three play drives. The refs didn’t give up 34 points in the second half. The refs didn’t repeatedly give up big kick returns, and the refs weren’t letting Cuero’s tight end run wild on the secondary. 

That blown call sucked, but it was just one of about 10 things that cost Silsbee the game.  I think the coaching staff does a good job, but I don’t think they’re championship caliber. Heck, that Miller TD on 4th and 13 to keep them alive was pure athleticism, not scheme. 

Silsbee went into the locker room ahead 20-7 and less than three minutes later it was 20-20. At that point it just felt like Silsbee was on the ropes and never got off of them. 

55 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

The refs weren’t the ones giving up TDs on two and three play drives. The refs didn’t give up 34 points in the second half. The refs didn’t repeatedly give up big kick returns, and the refs weren’t letting Cuero’s tight end run wild on the secondary. 

That blown call sucked, but it was just one of about 10 things that cost Silsbee the game.  I think the coaching staff does a good job, but I don’t think they’re championship caliber. Heck, that Miller TD on 4th and 13 to keep them alive was pure athleticism, not scheme. 

Silsbee went into the locker room ahead 20-7 and less than three minutes later it was 20-20. At that point it just felt like Silsbee was on the ropes and never got off of them. 

It was back and forth after that. Silsbee goes up 7 and Cuero ties it back up. 

6 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

Was this knee down play on 4th down?

Was on the 2 pt. conversion in ot number 2.  Easy to see where the blme comes from on that call, especially since it was a group discussion by the refs.  But like you said cant lay the blame on the refs. Too many opportunities to avoid that situation altogether….

18 minutes ago, Bansheefan said:

Was this knee down play on 4th down?

Yes he was down..! Go back a page and look at the pic. There was two Texan football players standing behind the ref's saying he was down. They kept looking at the Screen up above for the replay. But this play just happened to be the only one they wouldn't show.

1 hour ago, BADSANTA said:

It was back and forth after that. Silsbee goes up 7 and Cuero ties it back up. 

That one hurt!! But,all and all with 9 seconds to go in the game.i would've gave the best player in 4a a chance.trust me his ball skills would've protected the QB. He is that gud.

Look everyone says you can’t blame the refs but it’s the calls at the most crucial point what if your team played a almost perfect game but so does the other teams you have a chance to win at the end kick the game winning field goal and I threw a penalty a phantom offside or a player moves on the offensive line and I let it go but if they score I throw the flag a ref most of the time can control a game these 2 teams were about as evenly matched as they come if Silsbee would have won would the conversion be Cuero could not stop Silsbee and they need a better defense yes Silsbee made some costly mistakes by not going for the field goal right after the Miller catch but since Cuero won they say Silsbee defense is trash Cuero was supposed to have an awesome defense with 2 all state linebackers but gave up 225 rushing to  1 tailback and 56 points as well bottom line is these teams could not stop each other it happens but the refs can determine the outcome of any game.

43 minutes ago, Silsbee92 said:

I hate all this nonsense after the game is done.  You can always tell who never lost a big game.

Let the wound close.  Don't need an autopsy here.

Wound have already closed and ready to move on it’s just I know teams make mistakes and Silsbee had their fair share yesterday coaching mistakes too I’m just pointing out the fact that refs can really dictate games but they don’t want us to use that as an excuse how come they don’t make the refs have press conference after the game like they do the players you can play a great game about to win and 1 bad call at that particular moment especially at the end can nullify a great and potentially winning performance by a team that’s all I’m saying now let’s take that frustration out on the basketball court and win state.

10 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

No, but Jasper sure got jammed on a bad call in the Silsbee game a few weeks back. 

Tough loss. Cheers to an amazing season and enjoyed the ride. This was one of my favorite Tiger teams along with the 1998, 2015, and 2018 squads. I think Silsbee has a chance to get back here next year and maybe advance. Lots of talent coming back on both sides of the ball. I think I read 12 all district kids returning. 

Sorry it had to end for Silsbee like that. This was the best team I've ever seen for the Tigers. CT always said "gotta win all 3 phases of the game". Imo, the 4th one can only hurt you if you fail to execute the others. Coaching has also been pointed to as a reason for the loss. Maybe need to try to get some alumni back on the defensive side. Just jokes, I know yall didn't want that years ago. The best player in 4A can only do so much. I wasn't able to watch this game yet. Did they ever try him in the wildcat, or the backfield?

Not like it really matters. Nobody gonna beat Carthage unless something miraculous happens.

See yall next season. Take this loosing feeling to the basketball court and use it as motivation.

41 minutes ago, BADSANTA said:

Tough loss. Cheers to an amazing season and enjoyed the ride. This was one of my favorite Tiger teams along with the 1998, 2015, and 2018 squads. I think Silsbee has a chance to get back here next year and maybe advance. Lots of talent coming back on both sides of the ball. I think I read 12 all district kids returning. 

Right..! Good luck to Cuero the rest of the way. It's Basketball season and it's going to be fun..🤗