Can Beto Win?

bullets13

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

Possibly.  I get the safety aspect, but I imagine there would be some serious lawsuits when people start getting fired for participating in a legal activity off the clock. 

If you drink vodka shots at home (legal activity off the clock) then go to work at the refinery, but still have alcohol in your system when you get to work and you get tested…you’re fired. Cmon Bullets, you’re a smart guy. 

13 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

If you drink vodka shots at home (legal activity off the clock) then go to work at the refinery, but still have alcohol in your system when you get to work and you get tested…you’re fired. Cmon Bullets, you’re a smart guy. 

Yep, and if you take legal painkillers prescribed to you and show up impaired, you’re fired.

6 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

That’s true if it’s a post accident drug screen. If it’s a random and you have a legal current prescription (and the levels aren’t over the top), you will usually be ok. 

I think the keyword there though is “impaired”.

If you are impaired then I don’t think a legal prescription helps.

I underwent several random drug screens as part of our contract as a police officer. If I had a lawful drugs in my system, as long as it was prescribed, I was okay. Even if lawful however, if I showed up for work impaired, I could be disciplined up to termination. Impaired has the same definition in the law usually as intoxicated. 

With the Ukraine situation, now is not the right time for any candidate to talk about taking our guns. Might be an election killer. 

My wife often shares crazy stories with concern going on around the country and I tell her we don’t have worry about that, we live in Texas. If Beto were to get elected, that would change everything.

3 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I think the keyword there though is “impaired”.

If you are impaired then I don’t think a legal prescription helps.

I underwent several random drug screens as part of our contract as a police officer. If I had a lawful drugs in my system, as long as it was prescribed, I was okay. Even if lawful however, if I showed up for work impaired, I could be disciplined up to termination. Impaired has the same definition in the law usually as intoxicated. 

You are correct. On the random, however, you’re taking the drug screen randomly. Even though you may be impaired, you are not being called out for that. I know it’s kind of semantics, but I was just trying to be thorough. 🤗

Let someone get seriously injured or killed, and the responsible person tested positive for weed, the insurance company asks what your drug policy is and you say you don’t have one, the lawsuits will fly and insurance will be through the roof or not obtainable. Worker’s Comp will require drug screening.

Rather scary post.  Texas & Florida are the “must have” States for conservatives.  If either fall, especially Texas, it’s all over.  I’ve often wondered why conservatives resist marijuana legalization, since conservatives are for personal freedoms.  We ordinarily think that everyone has the freedom to control their lives.  But when it comes to legalizing gambling or marijuana, as a group we’re against it.  Makes no sense to me.  The Republicans could/should nip this in the bud now by coming out for the legalization of MJ themselves, if only medically.  If not, you can bet the Looney Left will come out in full force, and with some conservatives not happy with Abbott, and a few that might change their votes because of MJ, it will be to close for comfort.

I’m borderline ultra right.  I think Trump’s positive aspects were everything we look for in a President.  I’m also for MJ legalization, but will not, no way Jose, vote for Beto over that issue.  As for the potential problems associated with legalizing MJ, I’d think that one would only have to research what has happened in other States who have legalized it.  California has refineries - what problems have they confronted?  We’ve discussed the potential negatives of MJ, but not the positives.  Medically, there are several, and not legalizing it for prescription is a dunce move if I’ve ever seen one.  Good grief, you can get fentanyl administer by a doctor but not MJ?  That’s freaking ridiculous.  MJ is not the boogeyman as it’s been portrayed.  Although I’ve never used it, common sense tells me there’s a minimum of 10 prescription pain killers more dangerous than MJ.

What do we need to do?  Contact our local representatives and encourage them to legalize MJ, at least for medicinal purposes.  Nip this issue in the bud.  It’s all the Dems have, and not worth losing our State and Country over.

36 minutes ago, Hagar said:

Rather scary post.  Texas & Florida are the “must have” States for conservatives.  If either fall, especially Texas, it’s all over.  I’ve often wondered why conservatives resist marijuana legalization, since conservatives are for personal freedoms.  We ordinarily think that everyone has the freedom to control their lives.  But when it comes to legalizing gambling or marijuana, as a group we’re against it.  Makes no sense to me.  The Republicans could/should nip this in the bud now by coming out for the legalization of MJ themselves, if only medically.  If not, you can bet the Looney Left will come out in full force, and with some conservatives not happy with Abbott, and a few that might change their votes because of MJ, it will be to close for comfort.

I’m borderline ultra right.  I think Trump’s positive aspects were everything we look for in a President.  I’m also for MJ legalization, but will not, no way Jose, vote for Beto over that issue.  As for the potential problems associated with legalizing MJ, I’d think that one would only have to research what has happened in other States who have legalized it.  California has refineries - what problems have they confronted?  We’ve discussed the potential negatives of MJ, but not the positives.  Medically, there are several, and not legalizing it for prescription is a dunce move if I’ve ever seen one.  Good grief, you can get fentanyl administer by a doctor but not MJ?  That’s freaking ridiculous.  MJ is not the boogeyman as it’s been portrayed.  Although I’ve never used it, common sense tells me there’s a minimum of 10 prescription pain killers more dangerous than MJ.

What do we need to do?  Contact our local representatives and encourage them to legalize MJ, at least for medicinal purposes.  Nip this issue in the bud.  It’s all the Dems have, and not worth losing our State and Country over.

That was a very, very good post. 

51 minutes ago, Hagar said:

I see what you did there, even if you didn’t 😉

16 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I agree, and I think you’re missing something in the point I was making.  The difference is this: marijuana can stay in your system for over a month in some cases, and almost always will show up several days after use.  If I drink vodka Friday after work and you test me on Monday, it’s all good.  If I toke up Friday, not only will I test positive on Monday, but there’s a good chance I’ll still test positive the following Monday as well.  How are you going to fire me for something that is legal, that I did off the clock, and quit effecting me in any way days before I went to work.  

16 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Yep, and if you take legal painkillers prescribed to you and show up impaired, you’re fired.

The whole issue here is that y’all are equating positive test results to blowing a .08 in a breathalyzer, and it doesn’t work like that.  If I take a prescription Vicodin today, it’ll show up in my system tomorrow, but I won’t be impaired.  How can you fire me for that? (You can’t)

1 hour ago, bullets13 said:

How are you going to fire me for something that is legal, that I did off the clock, and quit effecting me in any way days before I went to work.  

Texas is an “at will” state. As long as I don’t fire you for discriminatory reasons, I can terminate your employment when I feel like it (generally speaking, of course). 

I can’t terminate someone for exercising their FMLA rights and a few other things too. But if you walk into my office and tell me to “eff” off, I can fire you even though the Constituion gives you freedom of speech. 

2 hours ago, bullets13 said:

The whole issue here is that y’all are equating positive test results to blowing a .08 in a breathalyzer, and it doesn’t work like that.  If I take a prescription Vicodin today, it’ll show up in my system tomorrow, but I won’t be impaired.  How can you fire me for that? (You can’t)

They won’t fire you, but you can bet they’ll find out if you do have a legal prescription and if you don’t, they’ll fire you. 

1 hour ago, LumRaiderFan said:

They won’t fire you, but you can bet they’ll find out if you do have a legal prescription and if you don’t, they’ll fire you. 

So in relation to hypothetically legal marijuana use, where you wouldn’t even need a prescription, how could they fire you? 

5 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Probably can if you don’t have a script for it. 

57 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

So in relation to hypothetically legal marijuana use, where you wouldn’t even need a prescription, how could they fire you? 

Even if it’s legal, if you test positive, they’ll fire you.  They have no way of knowing if you smoked last night or an hour ago.  Anyone that has to work in this atmosphere will appreciate this.  
Want to smoke dope, get a job where you can’t hurt anyone.

A prescription may not even matter. It depends on how your state’s law is written. 

From the National Law Review on 6/17/15:

“The Colorado Supreme Court ruled on June 15, 2015, that an employee can be fired for using medical marijuana even though the drug is legal in Colorado and the employee was not at work at the time. The unanimous decision upholds lower courts’ opinions that an employer has the right to terminate an employee for violating a company’s zero-tolerance policy for controlled substances, despite a Colorado law protecting employees from being punished for legal, off-duty activities.”

Bottom line: You can get fired even if you have a prescription for it depending on your state’s laws and your employer’s drug policy. 

9 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

A prescription may not even matter. It depends on how your state’s law is written. 

From the National Law Review on 6/17/15:

“The Colorado Supreme Court ruled on June 15, 2015, that an employee can be fired for using medical marijuana even though the drug is legal in Colorado and the employee was not at work at the time. The unanimous decision upholds lower courts’ opinions that an employer has the right to terminate an employee for violating a company’s zero-tolerance policy for controlled substances, despite a Colorado law protecting employees from being punished for legal, off-duty activities.”

Bottom line: You can get fired even if you have a prescription for it depending on your state’s laws and your employer’s drug policy. 

Much like pain medication.  Where I worked it depended on your position.  If you were in operations, driving equipment or on the production line, you couldn’t take prescription opiates.  If you had to take them you’d have to take sick leave.  If you worked in an office you could take them and go to work.  As for MJ, even if legalized or prescribed, I’d never take/use it if I worked in an area like our production.  Ironically, some OTC cold medication can affect folks worse than some opiates.  The die’s are cast.  They may not come out good every time but cest la vie.