Silsbee 72 Hardin-Jefferson 62/Final

WOSgrad

1 minute ago, bradyb said:

Tre Grubbs looked really good tonight. He played a very aggressive game. I love how he is one of the best guards in the area but plays down low for Silsbee when needed. He rebounds the ball very well, plays phenomenal defense, shoots the ball well, handles the ball well... Also, I was very impressed with HJ's big man. Probably one of the best dunks I have seen in a while. Parquet is the real deal. He is very smooth and can really score the ball. I really feel like Silsbee has the ability to win it this year. They have to have killer instinct and stop starting the game off so slow. Take stuff more serious and keep working to get better. 

Man, Grubbs looks good every night!  That kid is the definition of consistency. 

Score by quarters

1            2            3              4            tot

Hardin-Jefferson     18           4            16           24            62

Silsbee                    17         23            12          20             72

3 point %

HJ              4/16           25%

SIL             7/25           28%

FT %

HJ             3/6              50%

SIL           17/27           63%  (10/16 in 4th Q)

Rebounds

HJ                   33

SIL                  39

Turnovers

HJ                  22

SIL                 16

Fouls

HJ                  23

SIL                 14

Individual scoring

HJ

Jamerson Roberts                 19 (15 reb., 8 blocks)

Leland Rogers                       13 (9 in 2nd half)

Michael Saladin                      11 (1/6 three's)

Travis Boudreaux                    9

Elijah Parquet                          6 (all in 1st Q)

Zane Zabranek                        4

Silsbee

Tre Grubbs                            14 (10 reb., 5 steals)

Devon McCain                       13 (10 in 2nd half, 4/6 FT, 6 assists)

Dontre Thomas                        9 (7 in 1st Half, 5/6 FT)

Kolten Mackey                         9 (11 reb.)

Rick Maze                                8 (2/7 three's)

Trajan Harris                            7 (2/8 three's)

Bruce Newton                          4 (all in 4th Q, 4/6 FT)

Jordyn Adams                          4 (1/6 three's)

Kalon Barnes                            4 (8 reb.)

I don't believe I've ever seen the Hawks go 4/16 from behind the arc. The game I felt was officiated very well but the fouls on 2nd and 3rd chance points on the boards was the difference for the Tigers and resulted in them shooting 27 FT's to 6 for the Hawks. From where I was sitting a different defensive look in the 2nd half helped the Hawks tremendously. Roberts has turned his game up tremendously over the last few weeks. Good ballgame tonight .

6 hours ago, whsalum said:

I don't believe I've ever seen the Hawks go 4/16 from behind the arc. The game I felt was officiated very well but the fouls on 2nd and 3rd chance points on the boards was the difference for the Tigers and resulted in them shooting 27 FT's to 6 for the Hawks. From where I was sitting a different defensive look in the 2nd half helped the Hawks tremendously. Roberts has turned his game up tremendously over the last few weeks. Good ballgame tonight .

Plus the fact that HJ was intentionally fouling in last two minutes that had Silsbee shooting 16 free throws in 4th Q alone.

I thought the game was officiated well.

8 hours ago, bullets13 said:

absolutely.  The tigers did a fantastic job of limiting Saladin, especially once Parquet was out and they could focus on him.  They had no answer for Jamerson, though.  If the other guys can put together decent games in Sour Lake, he could be the wild card in the matchup.

Yall had no answer for Grubbs though. What if Adams and Maze put together decent games in Sour Lake !! They could be the wild card in the next matchup and it can get ugly real quick.

I'm very proud of the Hawks. Like I posted before, had nothing to lose going to the home gym of the #1 ranked team. They played a solid first quarter and then let the second one get away. However, instead of laying down, they continued to play hard and battle back. Silsbee's depth was too their advantage, especailly with early foul trouble for the Hawks and then Parquet going out with an injury. Even with that, they continued to play the game and give their best effort. Silsbee may be #1, but the Hawks are no slackers. We will see the Tigers soon in the Hawks Nest. 

6 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Just throwing this out there.  HJ outscored Silsbee entire game but 2nd quarter.  I know all that matters is the win.  But things may be different next time.

And a lot of talk about Silsbee being "hot" from 3.  7 for 25 is hot?  Well dang...I was a better shooter than I thought.

Ok.  Carry on.

Actually, Silsbee was hot from 3 land in 1st half. Was 7 of 18 (39%) but went 0/7 in 2nd half. Only attempted 1 three in 4th Q.

After Silsbee took a double digit lead mid way 2nd Q, they kept that double digit lead for the rest of the game with the largest lead at 23 mid 3rd Q. 2nd quarter was a big difference in game, but after 1st quarter, Silsbee controlled the game.

2 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Actually, Silsbee was hot from 3 land in 1st half. Was 7 of 18 (39%) but went 0/7 in 2nd half. Only attempted 1 three in 4th Q.

After Silsbee took a double digit lead mid way 2nd Q, they kept that double digit lead for the rest of the game with the largest lead at 23 mid 3rd Q. 2nd quarter was a big difference in game, but after 1st quarter, Silsbee controlled the game.

Hey I don't have a dog in the fight.  Just playing devil's advocate.

You've been reading my posts long enough to know how I post.  Mostly to get a rise out of one or more/multiple people.

10 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Disagree

I think  most everyone over estimates the impact of a single player.  HJ losing Parquet did not materially impact the HJ deficit( it might actually have gotten smaller) and I would remind you that last year, HJ loses to Silsbee at home with Roberts on the floor and beats them in Silsbee with Roberts not playing.  Additionally, I though the varsity game was very well officiated and the officiating in the JV game was the absolute worst I have ever seen.