Silsbee 72 Hardin-Jefferson 62/Final

WOSgrad

5 minutes ago, stevenash said:

I think  most everyone over estimates the impact of a single player.  HJ losing Parquet did not materially impact the HJ deficit( it might actually have gotten smaller) and I would remind you that last year, HJ loses to Silsbee at home with Roberts on the floor and beats them in Silsbee with Roberts not playing.  Additionally, I though the varsity game was very well officiated and the officiating in the JV game was the absolute worst I have ever seen.

1000% agree!!!!!!

And on impact of a single player, I tend to agree with you. I was just stating that M. McCain is still missed to some degree. Will it make or break Silsbee? Probably not. But I know the team and coaches wish they had him on the court. Just makes them that much deeper.

So just to be clear:

-HJ's poor shooting was completely due to Silsbee's defense
-HJ staying in the game after being down as many as 21 was only because Silsbee laid off
-Silsbee's shooting in the second quarter was because Silsbee is just better
-Silsbee's poor shooting from the 3 the rest of the game was because Silsbee laid off
-Silsbee didn't win by 20 because they "slowed it down" in the second half
-In summary, the outcome of last night's game had nothing to do with anything HJ was doing and only to do with what Silsbee did or didn't do

18 minutes ago, Drango1 said:

So just to be clear:

-HJ's poor shooting was completely due to Silsbee's defense
-HJ staying in the game after being down as many as 21 was only because Silsbee laid off
-Silsbee's shooting in the second quarter was because Silsbee is just better
-Silsbee's poor shooting from the 3 the rest of the game was because Silsbee laid off
-Silsbee didn't win by 20 because they "slowed it down" in the second half
-In summary, the outcome of last night's game had nothing to do with anything HJ was doing and only to do with what Silsbee did or didn't do

Correct

39 minutes ago, stevenash said:

I think  most everyone over estimates the impact of a single player.  HJ losing Parquet did not materially impact the HJ deficit( it might actually have gotten smaller) and I would remind you that last year, HJ loses to Silsbee at home with Roberts on the floor and beats them in Silsbee with Roberts not playing.  Additionally, I though the varsity game was very well officiated and the officiating in the JV game was the absolute worst I have ever seen.

Bold statement in these parts.  Had to be absolutely brutal because poor officiating is not rare in this region unfortunately.  Glad I didn't have to suffer through watching it...

Hmm lets see I have  said our defense had some effect on HJs shooting by maybe speeding up the shots.  I also said in the second half HJ did a good job staying with our shooters basically doing the same thing. I have no idea where you came up with the statement that our shooting in the second quarter was just because we are better. And stating that we slowed our offense down was not only visible but a statement from within the team.  Was it the reason we "didn't win by 20" not really but it could be a reason we didn't win by more than 20.  HJs defense in the half court had a lot to do with us not scoring as much in that half.  

It sounds like you have a problem with the Tigers.  First you think that losing a three year starter and if I remember right an all stater last year doesn't have an effect and now all of this.  It must be awful to be o. Your side of things.

Silsbee gave HJ hope going into next game. The same thing they came into last night with. Hope! Silsbee has 6 who could all average 20ppg for any other school. They fact they they don't care who leads in scoring and just want to win is incredible. I hope Parquett gets well and I look forward to watching these teams play next month. Hopefully McCain can get back by the playoffs. 

What .!! Who THat " Who THat say they beat them Tigers Who THat.!! Haha like I said last night Silsbee really had a bad game on the shooting side of things from behind the arc and under the basket missing easy put backs that could of made this game ugly. I look for Silsbee to play much better in the next matchup. 

33 minutes ago, Who That said:

What .!! Who THat " Who THat say they beat them Tigers Who THat.!! Haha like I said last night Silsbee really had a bad game on the shooting side of things from behind the arc and under the basket missing easy put backs that could of made this game ugly. I look for Silsbee to play much better in the next matchup. 

Self delusion is a great capability, isn't it? 

1 hour ago, ST413 said:

Hmm lets see I have  said our defense had some effect on HJs shooting by maybe speeding up the shots.  I also said in the second half HJ did a good job staying with our shooters basically doing the same thing. I have no idea where you came up with the statement that our shooting in the second quarter was just because we are better. And stating that we slowed our offense down was not only visible but a statement from within the team.  Was it the reason we "didn't win by 20" not really but it could be a reason we didn't win by more than 20.  HJs defense in the half court had a lot to do with us not scoring as much in that half.  

It sounds like you have a problem with the Tigers.  First you think that losing a three year starter and if I remember right an all stater last year doesn't have an effect and now all of this.  It must be awful to be o. Your side of things.

I think his point is that "what applies to the goose, applies to the gander"

I've got a couple takeaways from this and I don't think many of you will like them...but I'm going to share anyway.  I don't think this HJ team is as good as last year's and I don't think last year's was as good as the year before.  They've got three VERY good pieces that complement each other, but the overall depth and athleticism is not there like it has been in the past.  I really like the way the Saladin kid plays and he is the rare high school kid that understands the game, but physicality and focus on where he is can definitely limit him.  I really like Roberts defensively, but consistently he does not put the ball in the basket.  I REALLY, REALLY like Parquet's game at this point, but I have not seen him slash to the rim and score.  Coach Davis has done a very good job with them and I think they're ranked right about where they should be in that 20ish range.  I just don't see them as a threat to go to San Antonio.

Silsbee is fast and they are deeeeeeep!  I do think they will make a deep playoff run (deeper than HJ), but I think it will be difficult for them to take the whole thing.  The Roberts kid, and maybe some others from games I haven't seen, exposed a glaring weakness.  There is no real size inside!  For what they have, Silsbee does an incredible job or sending guys to the boards, but there is no substitute for real quality size.  If they run into a team that won't be overwhelmed by the pressure and has a big guy or two, Silsbee could be in trouble.  Sounded to me like that is what happened with Liberty Hill.  Also, who is the guy for Silsbee?  Who gets the ball with the game on the line and says I got this?  I see a whole team of Scottie Pippens (poor Silsbee, right?) and wonder is there a killer like Jordan?

With all that said, I hope these two teams meet in the regional final.  That would be exciting to see and great for basketball down here.

39 minutes ago, PaBees said:

I've got a couple takeaways from this and I don't think many of you will like them...but I'm going to share anyway.  I don't think this HJ team is as good as last year's and I don't think last year's was as good as the year before.  They've got three VERY good pieces that complement each other, but the overall depth and athleticism is not there like it has been in the past.  I really like the way the Saladin kid plays and he is the rare high school kid that understands the game, but physicality and focus on where he is can definitely limit him.  I really like Roberts defensively, but consistently he does not put the ball in the basket.  I REALLY, REALLY like Parquet's game at this point, but I have not seen him slash to the rim and score.  Coach Davis has done a very good job with them and I think they're ranked right about where they should be in that 20ish range.  I just don't see them as a threat to go to San Antonio.

Silsbee is fast and they are deeeeeeep!  I do think they will make a deep playoff run (deeper than HJ), but I think it will be difficult for them to take the whole thing.  The Roberts kid, and maybe some others from games I haven't seen, exposed a glaring weakness.  There is no real size inside!  For what they have, Silsbee does an incredible job or sending guys to the boards, but there is no substitute for real quality size.  If they run into a team that won't be overwhelmed by the pressure and has a big guy or two, Silsbee could be in trouble.  Sounded to me like that is what happened with Liberty Hill.  Also, who is the guy for Silsbee?  Who gets the ball with the game on the line and says I got this?  I see a whole team of Scottie Pippens (poor Silsbee, right?) and wonder is there a killer like Jordan?

With all that said, I hope these two teams meet in the regional final.  That would be exciting to see and great for basketball down here.

I would say Devon McCain. We saw this against Central.

24 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Yes, sometimes. And sometimes the more talented team advances further. Ask HJ.

The point?

The point is that talent level doesn't always equal playoff victories.  I was referring to the two teams silsbee has had that were arguably two of the most talented teams in the history of the school and one of the teams could be considered one of the most talented in the history of this area that lost in the first or second round.   

27 minutes ago, DXTR said:

I would say Devon McCain. We saw this against Central.

Sounds absolutely preposterous with this team to name a freshman.  And I happen to agree with you ;)  (Although Grubbs isn't a bad option either.)  Devon is just one of those kids who has ice water in his veins.  

2 hours ago, Who That said:

HJ definitely could've shot a lot better.  That works both ways.

1 minute ago, stevenash said:

There are a couple of "enlightened souls" who believe that only Silsbee could have shot better.

To be fair, i think it's  natural for fan bases on both sides to think about the things that could've gone differently for their side while not doing so for their opponent.  I made a similar post talking about the fact that HJ kept it closish and won 3 of 4 quarters despite Parquet only playing 12 minutes and Saladin having his worst statistical game of the season, and maybe in the last 2 seasons.  I wasn't factoring in anything that Silsbee didn't do or might do differently.

24 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Sounds absolutely preposterous with this team to name a freshman.  And I happen to agree with you ;)  (Although Grubbs isn't a bad option either.)  Devon is just one of those kids who has ice water in his veins.  

I was extremely impressed with Devon McCain.  His attitude is great too.