Silsbee 72 Hardin-Jefferson 62/Final

WOSgrad

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

If I didn't know any better I would believe that some on here are disappointed with a 10 point win and some seem content or okay with a 10 point loss.

There are reasons why Silsbee won by 10 and reasons why HJ lost by 10.

But what do I know? smh

Considerably less than what you think. 

6 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

If I didn't know any better I would believe that some on here are disappointed with a 10 point win and some seem content or okay with a 10 point loss.

There are reasons why Silsbee won by 10 and reasons why HJ lost by 10.

But what do I know? smh

Personally, I'm not disappointed that HJ played the #1 team in the state to a 10-point game with their best ball handler only playing 1/3 of the game, and their best scorer having an off night.  There's no reason for HJ to come out of that game believing anything other than that they can compete with Silsbee when they come to Sour Lake.  I predicted Silsbee to win 74-66.  72-62 without significant contributions from 2 of HJ's big 3 isn't the disheartening blow to HJ's spirit that some Silsbee folks seem to want it to be.  Silsbee is supposed to beat HJ this year.  With Parquet hurt, HJs biggest bench contributor hurt, and Saladin struggling, this was an excellent chance for Silsbee to blow the Hawks out, and they weren't able to do it.  i don't see a problem in hawks fans taking a positive out of that.

Its also worth considering the fact that Parquet is the second tallest player on the team and his rebounding was missed as much or more than his scoring/ball handling.  A key reserve (6th or 7th man) also missed this game due to injuries.  The suggestion/inference that poor shooting by Silsbee is why they didn't win by 20 is a total crock. (  that pathetic theory is based on the thought that Silsbee could have shot better but HJ couldn't have)

14 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Personally, I'm not disappointed that HJ played the #1 team in the state to a 10-point game with their best ball handler only playing 1/3 of the game, and their best scorer having an off night.  There's no reason for HJ to come out of that game believing anything other than that they can compete with Silsbee when they come to Sour Lake.  I predicted Silsbee to win 74-66.  72-62 without significant contributions from 2 of HJ's big 3 isn't the disheartening blow to HJ's spirit that some Silsbee folks seem to want it to be.  Silsbee is supposed to beat HJ this year.  With Parquet hurt, HJs biggest bench contributor hurt, and Saladin struggling, this was an excellent chance for Silsbee to blow the Hawks out, and they weren't able to do it.  i don't see a problem in hawks fans taking a positive out of that.

Question, was Saladin struggling and having an "off night" due to his own inabilities or did Silsbee defense have something to do with it?

Also, shouldn't a senior laden team like HJ (I believe they have 9-10 seniors on the team) believe they can compete with a youthful team like Silsbee to begin with? Experience should help that mentality.

Taking a positive from a loss is quite okay unless you keep taking those losses. Losing 14 of last 18 meetings should have HJ fans wanting more.

Saladins struggle had much to do with the defense. ( On the other hand, some believe that the HJ defense had nothing to do with Silsbees "off shooting night".)  Because of that, Roberts should have probably scored more than he did.  As for lising the 14 losses in last 18 meetings, you may get ridiculed by ST13 for "living in the past".

9 minutes ago, stevenash said:

Saladins struggle had much to do with the defense. ( On the other hand, some believe that the HJ defense had nothing to do with Silsbees "off shooting night".)  Because of that, Roberts should have probably scored more than he did.  As for lising the 14 losses in last 18 meetings, you may get ridiculed by ST13 for "living in the past".

Personally, I didn't think Silsbee shot all that badly. HJ's defense definitely stepped up in 2nd half but Silsbee took less shots in 2nd half than they did in 1st half. Tigers definitely were more patient offensively but I think that had to do with HJ defensive adjustments. I also think Silsbee "slowed down" to try to limit offensive possessions for the Hawks.

But like the Drango1 guy stated, I know very little.

Of course they didn't shoot that badly- that was a jab at a couple of individuals.  Personally, its hard for me to understand how trying to reduce the number of offensive possessions for one team does not result in virtually the same for the other.  I know that Silsbees most productive quarter was not based on that theory.  When the opposition decides to concentrate defensively on Saladin, you give up something but you pick up something else. ( Roberts and Rogers both scored considerably more than normal).  Parquets absence also contributed to Saladins difficulty.  Silsbee has the advantage in speed, depth, and athleticism.  However, the one spot they are at a disadvantage is Roberts.  Silsbee has no solution for him from a one on one standpoint.  Its up to HJ to try and capitalize more on that circumstance  and if he is double teamed or collapsed upon, its up to HJ to find the open shot.

Of course reducing possessions for the other team limits your possessions but with a 20 pt lead and less than a half lead, you would be basing that strategy on being able to score on an ample number of your possessions to not allow that opposing team to have enough chances to catch up.  It worked we still won by 10.  I can admit it frustrates me when we do this because our leads do tend to dwindle against good teams however I am not the coach and his strategy still worked.  That strategy and good defense in the second half definitely limited the Tigers output and dropped our shooting numbers.  I am like AAW, overall I don't think we shot bad at all,. I do think we shoot better though in transition like in the first half.  For both reasons of just getting in a rhythm and the defense having more trouble getting to the shooters.

59 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

Completely agree.   I thought this year would be a split with each team winning at home.  The first game didn't do much to change my thinking, other than they need to be healthy.   I do believe Silsbee is the better team due to the ridiculous depth but HJ is very solid, and as noted, a veteran group.  I just have a feeling they will get the one at home.  Obviously could be way wrong.  

On the other hand, If HJ doesn't win that one, silsbee might be in the midst of a VERY long district winning streak.  

As for Roberts, we definitely didn't have the answer for him last night.  I will be interested to see what approach and if there is any difference in the next game.  I know we have done better jobs on some big men in the past.  I wonder if we were more geared to limit Saladin and Parquet in this game.  Kind of a pick your poison type thing.  Try to limit the three balls and keep those two from rolling and take your chance with him.  If so he took full advantage and had a great game.  Not sure trying to focus on him would be the best move because of those other 2.  That's a job for the coaches before that next game.  Either way he impressed me way more last night that when I saw him last year. 

31 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Question, was Saladin struggling and having an "off night" due to his own inabilities or did Silsbee defense have something to do with it?

Also, shouldn't a senior laden team like HJ (I believe they have 9-10 seniors on the team) believe they can compete with a youthful team like Silsbee to begin with? Experience should help that mentality.

Taking a positive from a loss is quite okay unless you keep taking those losses. Losing 14 of last 18 meetings should have HJ fans wanting more.

Who said this HJ team didn't think they could compete with Silsbee or are somehow okay with this loss? The kids on this team haven't taken all 14 of those losses and I thought there were seniors who looked completely mentally stable to me last night.

Keep talking about the youth movement over there but 51 of the 72 Silsbee points were scored by Jrs and Srs.  Grubbs, Maze, Harris, and Mackey beat HJ and if you watched the game you know when and you know how.  

28 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Of course reducing possessions for the other team limits your possessions but with a 20 pt lead and less than a half lead, you would be basing that strategy on being able to score on an ample number of your possessions to not allow that opposing team to have enough chances to catch up.  It worked we still won by 10.  I can admit it frustrates me when we do this because our leads do tend to dwindle against good teams however I am not the coach and his strategy still worked.  That strategy and good defense in the second half definitely limited the Tigers output and dropped our shooting numbers.  I am like AAW, overall I don't think we shot bad at all,. I do think we shoot better though in transition like in the first half.  For both reasons of just getting in a rhythm and the defense having more trouble getting to the shooters.

The point differential at half time vs the point differential at the end of the game implies that strategy was counter productive.   How many three pointers were taken by Silsbee in the second half vs the first?  Unless there were substantially less, my guess is there wasn't as much of an effort by Silsbee to slow it down as there was by HJ.  If one believes in the "slow it down, Silsbee theory, then why not limit the possessions of the opposition even further by only shooting open layups in that second half? Regarding having done better jobs on other big men.  There are a lot of other big men that don't have the luxury of a Saladin and Parquet on the wings.

That last statement is easy, we didn't get open lay ups.  As I stated Roberts did real good down low.  You may not want to believe it but I was told by more than one in the locker room that was exactly what we wanted to do in at least a large portion of the second half. And if I remember correctly it was stated earlier in this thread we shot 18 3s in the first half but only 7 in the second,. I would say that's significantly less. AAW stated that just shortly after his stats. And yes that strategy was counterproductive as far as point spread but it did finish off the win.