Silsbee 72 Hardin-Jefferson 62/Final

WOSgrad

This game illustrated the big difference between Silsbee and HJ.  I still believe it's possible for HJ to beat Silsbee.  BUT, it will take all 3 of their key components to have a very good game and be healthy.  The trouble with beating Silsbee is they have so MANY kids who can step up and have huge games.   A kid or two is having an off night?  No problem.  That's as crucial to me as the wearing you down effect. 

2 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

This game illustrated the big difference between Silsbee and HJ.  I still believe it's possible for HJ to beat Silsbee.  BUT, it will take all 3 of their key components to have a very good game and be healthy.  The trouble with beating Silsbee is they have so MANY kids who can step up and have huge games.   A kid or two is having an off night?  No problem.  That's as crucial to me as the wearing you down effect. 

I was impressed tonight as HJ only had 1 of 3 key components going.  2 of 3 would've made it VERY interesting tonight.

Just now, TxHoops said:

Didn't see it and very much trust your opinion.  My point would be the same but maybe amend to say 2 out of the three.  

Parquet missed the last 5 minutes of the 1st half with foul trouble and the last 13 minutes of the game with an injury, finishing with 6.  Saladin was cold, hitting i believe only one triple and scoring maybe 10-11 points.  If you'd told me before the game that Saladin and Parquet would combine for less than 20 and HJ would only lose by 10, i would've called you crazy.  That being said, without seeing a line, I bet Jamerson was pushing 20 points, 15 rebounds, and 10 blocks.  I'm sure AAW will post a detailed stat line.

Once again in this series a tale of two halves.  Yes Bullets HJ won 3 quarters but if the Tigers are playing well,. HJ doesn't want to play at the pace of that first half.  It looked like in that second quarter HJ was a little winded and the Tigers took advantage.  In the second half it looked like the Tigers slowed the pace on the offensive end, which was in HJs favor.  Parquet getting hurt was big.  He was definitely the top choice to have to dribble through pressure. Him out of the game also took 1 of HJs three big scoring threats and the Tigers were doing a good job on another.  Roberts did a great job controlling the inside.  Many blocks and altered shots as well as a real good night on the offensive side.  Like Brady said I would like to see these Tigers get a little better killer instinct.  Let's also remember the Tigers were without Michael McCain and will have to get used to playing without him this year.  Yes Parquet is more valuable to HJ because of the depth issues but Michael has that ability to take over if he needs to.  The biggest downside for the Tigers is that second half gave HJ some confidence going into the second game.  Like I said in the Pregame thread, if the Tigers hit the 3 ball like they did in that first half it could get to be a little lopsided.  If they aren't hitting those and forcing those turnovers and quick scores no telling what can happen, ala the second half.  Congratulations to both teams on another good game.  Looking forward to round 2.

1 minute ago, bullets13 said:

Parquet missed the last 5 minutes of the 1st half with foul trouble and the last 13 minutes of the game with an injury, finishing with 6.  Saladin was cold, hitting i believe only one triple and scoring maybe 10-11 points.  If you'd told me before the game that Saladin and Parquet would combine for less than 20 and HJ would only lose by 10, i would've called you crazy.  That being said, without seeing a line, I bet Jamerson was pushing 20 points, 15 rebounds, and 10 blocks.  I'm sure AAW will post a detailed stat line.

I would have called you more than crazy.   Some of that credit goes to defense though.  And Silsbee is pretty relentless on that end of the floor...

1 minute ago, TxHoops said:

I would have called you more than crazy.   Some of that credit goes to defense though.  And Silsbee is pretty relentless on that end of the floor...

absolutely.  The tigers did a fantastic job of limiting Saladin, especially once Parquet was out and they could focus on him.  They had no answer for Jamerson, though.  If the other guys can put together decent games in Sour Lake, he could be the wild card in the matchup.

Not to hijack a thread with Big Sandy talk but teams look at their size and think they should kill them on the boards.  Easier said than done when all five on the floor find a body to box out almost every time a shot goes up....  Same with Silsbee's ability to quickly close out on a shooter. 

4 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

absolutely.  The tigers did a fantastic job of limiting Saladin, especially once Parquet was out and they could focus on him.  They had no answer for Jamerson, though.  If the other guys can put together decent games in Sour Lake, he could be the wild card in the matchup.

I've said all along that Roberts is by far the best big in the district.  Another place where Eli is desperately needed because he can really help on the boards.  After Roberts, the Tigers have several who do a good job cleaning up on the glass and he can't negate them all.  

2 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Not to hijack a thread with Big Sandy talk but teams look at their size and think they should kill them on the boards.  Easier said than done when all five on the floor find a body to box out almost every time a shot goes up....  Same with Silsbee's ability to quickly close out on a shooter. 

Yeah. I'd love to see Big Sandy vs. Silsbee. I'm on record earlier this year saying nobody in 2a gets within 20 points of Big Sandy at any point this year. They would win the 3a state championship this year, as well.

Ok, back to Silsbee vs. HJ

7 minutes ago, Drango1 said:

No offense to Micheal McCain but the Tigers don't miss him at all. They don't take one step down without him. Period!

We have plenty of talent but yes he is missed.  He makes us another player deeper.  He is on one of those two rotations, of which you could start either one.  Now in no way am I knocking any other player, but you do miss one who has been starting since his freshman year. But he is out, so next man up!

8 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

I've said all along that Roberts is by far the best big in the district.  Another place where Eli is desperately needed because he can really help on the boards.  After Roberts, the Tigers have several who do a good job cleaning up on the glass and he can't negate them all.  

Roberts really impressed me tonight. I know last year I am not sure how much he got to play last year against the Tigers.  It seems like he missed one if not both.  But I did see him a few times early last year and he seems to have made great progress.  I don't doubt that he had a triple double tonight.

Tre Grubbs looked really good tonight. He played a very aggressive game. I love how he is one of the best guards in the area but plays down low for Silsbee when needed. He rebounds the ball very well, plays phenomenal defense, shoots the ball well, handles the ball well... Also, I was very impressed with HJ's big man. Probably one of the best dunks I have seen in a while. Parquet is the real deal. He is very smooth and can really score the ball. I really feel like Silsbee has the ability to win it this year. They have to have killer instinct and stop starting the game off so slow. Take stuff more serious and keep working to get better.