Silsbee 72 Hardin-Jefferson 62/Final

WOSgrad

And your statement on other big men is exactly correct.  Others don't have those two, and I am not sure they had anyone comparable to either one like I said I don't know what plans the coaches had there or if they just wanted to play good defense all around,. But I definitely could see them trying to limit the outside duo since our height was going to make it harder to do so on the inside one. Like has been done many times take one or two of those top choices out and make the other beat you.

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Personally, I didn't think Silsbee shot all that badly. HJ's defense definitely stepped up in 2nd half but Silsbee took less shots in 2nd half than they did in 1st half. Tigers definitely were more patient offensively but I think that had to do with HJ defensive adjustments. I also think Silsbee "slowed down" to try to limit offensive possessions for the Hawks.

But like the Drango1 guy stated, I know very little.

Where did I say that?

4 hours ago, bullets13 said:

Personally, I'm not disappointed that HJ played the #1 team in the state to a 10-point game with their best ball handler only playing 1/3 of the game, and their best scorer having an off night.  There's no reason for HJ to come out of that game believing anything other than that they can compete with Silsbee when they come to Sour Lake.  I predicted Silsbee to win 74-66.  72-62 without significant contributions from 2 of HJ's big 3 isn't the disheartening blow to HJ's spirit that some Silsbee folks seem to want it to be.  Silsbee is supposed to beat HJ this year.  With Parquet hurt, HJs biggest bench contributor hurt, and Saladin struggling, this was an excellent chance for Silsbee to blow the Hawks out, and they weren't able to do it.  i don't see a problem in hawks fans taking a positive out of that.

You keep talking about Parquet being injured and Saladin struggling but forgetting about one of our best players out with a broken hand and Maze/Adams struggling. So, if Parquet doesn't get hurt and Saladin catches fire but Adams and Maze is also on fire and with a healthy McCain, what you think the outcome would have been.

8 hours ago, swamp123 said:

Who said this HJ team didn't think they could compete with Silsbee or are somehow okay with this loss? The kids on this team haven't taken all 14 of those losses and I thought there were seniors who looked completely mentally stable to me last night.

Keep talking about the youth movement over there but 51 of the 72 Silsbee points were scored by Jrs and Srs.  Grubbs, Maze, Harris, and Mackey beat HJ and if you watched the game you know when and you know 

9 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Question, was Saladin struggling and having an "off night" due to his own inabilities or did Silsbee defense have something to do with it?

Also, shouldn't a senior laden team like HJ (I believe they have 9-10 seniors on the team) believe they can compete with a youthful team like Silsbee to begin with? Experience should help that mentality.

Taking a positive from a loss is quite okay unless you keep taking those losses. Losing 14 of last 18 meetings should have HJ fans wanting more.

i've given credit throughout this thread to silsbee for Saladin's off night.  Not having Parquet to take some of the pressure and attention off of him also played a key role.  I have a realistic view of the Silsbee/HJ matchup, so i guess i'm not left "wanting more."  On a yearly basis Silsbee has probably 2-3 times as many quality basketball players as HJ, and the tigers also consistently have a big edge athletically.  This year Silsbee has 9 or 10 (or 11) guys good enough to start for pretty much any team in the area.  There's minimal, if any, drop off when the 2nd string comes in.  HJ has 3 guys that would probably start for most teams in the area.  Silsbee SHOULD win against HJ.  It's a credit to their coaching staff and players that they've managed to win what they have against Silsbee the last 3-4 years.  These teams haven't been particularly even since 2011 or 2012.  That's just the way it is.   

3 minutes ago, bullets13 said:

i've given credit throughout this thread to silsbee for Saladin's off night.  Not having Parquet to take some of the pressure and attention off of him also played a key role.  I have a realistic view of the Silsbee/HJ matchup, so i guess i'm not left "wanting more."  On a yearly basis Silsbee has probably 2-3 times as many quality basketball players as HJ, and the tigers also consistently have a big edge athletically.  This year Silsbee has 9 or 10 (or 11) guys good enough to start for pretty much any team in the area.  There's minimal, if any, drop off when the 2nd string comes in.  HJ has 3 guys that would probably start for most teams in the area.  Silsbee SHOULD win against HJ.  It's a credit to their coaching staff and players that they've managed to win what they have against Silsbee the last 3-4 years.  These teams haven't been particularly even since 2011 or 2012.  That's just the way it is.   

I can agree with that. But it's been stated on this site before that HJ typically has better basketball players and Silsbee has better athletes.

BTW, if we are only going back 4 years counting this current season, HJ has 1 win in 7 games.

5 hours ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

You keep talking about Parquet being injured and Saladin struggling but forgetting about one of our best players out with a broken hand and Maze/Adams struggling. So, if Parquet doesn't get hurt and Saladin catches fire but Adams and Maze is also on fire and with a healthy McCain, what you think the outcome would have been.

HJ has the big 3.  Silsbee has the big 10.  I don't think there's much difference for you guys when a guy is out or if one guy is hot.  I understand McCain is a great player, and a team leader, but the drop off between him and whichever of the six quality replacements that goes in for him is minimal compared to the drop off from the big 3 for HJ.  

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I can agree with that. But it's been stated on this site before that HJ typically has better basketball players and Silsbee has better athletes.

BTW, if we are only going back 4 years counting this current season, HJ has 1 win in 7 games.

Let me add to that that it's a credit to HJ and their coaching staff that so many of those games have been close.  While i do agree that HJ has typically had better basketball players, and Silsbee has had better athletes, Silsbee typically still has REALLY GOOD BASKETBALL PLAYERS.

9 hours ago, swamp123 said:

Who said this HJ team didn't think they could compete with Silsbee or are somehow okay with this loss? The kids on this team haven't taken all 14 of those losses and I thought there were seniors who looked completely mentally stable to me last night.

Keep talking about the youth movement over there but 51 of the 72 Silsbee points were scored by Jrs and Srs.  Grubbs, Maze, Harris, and Mackey beat HJ and if you watched the game you know when and you know how.  

Good point swamp, but you must remember that Silsbee's JV team has 3 kids that would start for most Varsity teams in the district right now. Plus, their 8th grade group has 2 kids that will contribute on varsity next season. And IF the 8th grader from Legacy was to come back home to Silsbee next season, it will be even scarier. HJ is always going to be competitive because of their coaches and their system, just like Nederland in my opinion. Silsbee just has an extreme depth that is not normal for 4a basketball. I stated a couple years ago that starting this season, Silsbee will be extremely strong for 5 years. Even after that, the Silsbee little dribblers program is producing some pretty impressive talent at all ages. Now, with all of that being said. HJ has a very talented 7th grade group this year. They are special and will be a solid solid group in HS. This game will always be big because of the true passion the kids and fans put into it! 

1 hour ago, bradyb said:

Good point swamp, but you must remember that Silsbee's JV team has 3 kids that would start for most Varsity teams in the district right now. Plus, their 8th grade group has 2 kids that will contribute on varsity next season. And IF the 8th grader from Legacy was to come back home to Silsbee next season, it will be even scarier. HJ is always going to be competitive because of their coaches and their system, just like Nederland in my opinion. Silsbee just has an extreme depth that is not normal for 4a basketball. I stated a couple years ago that starting this season, Silsbee will be extremely strong for 5 years. Even after that, the Silsbee little dribblers program is producing some pretty impressive talent at all ages. Now, with all of that being said. HJ has a very talented 7th grade group this year. They are special and will be a solid solid group in HS. This game will always be big because of the true passion the kids and fans put into it! 

To add on to this HJ could be getting a guard transfer that will keep the games interesting the next two years. 

Hj has more than 3 players man. That is not right to say. They are a solid team that will get 2nd in district and make it 2-3 rounds deep in the playoffs I'm sure. They have sound fundamental players. They have a VERY good player in Parquet and a big man that impressed me. 

But yes, Silsbee should not be happy with that win lol 

In regards to the Bush return, I do not think it is a given. I hate to put words in peoples mouths or air their thoughts on social media, but I have heard straight from the player and the players family. The direct message I have gotten from them is their is no desire to come back to Silsbee. I was given many different reasons straight Bush and his family. Although I could see it play out and him be playing for the Tigers in the future, I sense a genuine dislike for whats going on over there, from their perspective. Ultimately, a chance to win a state title has to be enough to overlook a certain amount of that dislike and persuade a return.  

2 minutes ago, Not A Guru said:

In regards to the Bush return, I do not think it is a given. I hate to put words in peoples mouths or air their thoughts on social media, but I have heard straight from the player and the players family. The direct message I have gotten from them is their is no desire to come back to Silsbee. I was given many different reasons straight Bush and his family. Although I could see it play out and him be playing for the Tigers in the future, I sense a genuine dislike for whats going on over there, from their perspective. Ultimately, a chance to win a state title has to be enough to overlook a certain amount of that dislike and persuade a return.  

Beginning next school year Silsbee will have a new program in place that will attract MANY students to the district for academic reasons. If some of them happen to be good athletes, that is just a bonus.

1 minute ago, ST413 said:

In regards to that, I will never say it's certain until it happens.  I was told directly from the family earlier in the year that he was coming back as well so as you and I both see things can change either way.

You are correct. But in my opinion, and I told a member of his this, I do believe he will come back. No matter how many times he/she tries to deny it. HAHAHA