Bridge City officially opens AD/HFC/JOSH SMALLEY NAMED NEW AD/HFC

AggiesAreWe

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Curious why teams like Franklin, Bellville and Liberty Hill has success with this brand of Slot-T and schools around here struggle with this brand of Slot-T?  

PS -- It's my understanding that the former Vidor coach spent a lot of time with Liberty Hill studying them but could not replicate the success at Vidor that Liberty Hill enjoyed.  

There are teams “having success” and “not having success” with every type of offense in every part of the state. 

59 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

He's claiming the 2023 awards for for 22-23 school year. With that logic the 2022 awards were for 21-22 school year. Was Joesph at PNG then? He won the award for 2022.

That’s where I was lost.  I see what you were saying now. 

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

There are teams “having success” and “not having success” with every type of offense in every part of the state. 

We are talking about one specific offense ran one specific way that very few teams run.  

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

That’s crazy to me too because surely Vidor has more talent than Liberty Hill.  Also shocking Prouse hasn’t won state with it either, what with Deweyville having way more studs than Duncanville or Katy…

First of all, Prouse/Deweyville will not be asked to compete for the State Title with Duncanville or Katy.  Or Vidor for matter of fact.  But, what they will be asked to do is compete in a classification where they have like-kind enrollment.  Don't they do this every two years?  Of course they do.  This keeps High Island from having to compete against the Kansas City Chiefs.  LOL!!  These coaches mentioned are not being asked to do anything that the other coaches in their classification are being asked to do.  So, yes, they should be able to "eventually" compete for a State Title.  Heck, with a new coach, it took PNG one year to compete foe a Title and two years to win it.  And remember -- PNG was competing against "like-kind" schools!    Joseph wasn't asked to compete against his Dad, now was he?!

14 minutes ago, Reagan said:

We are talking about one specific offense ran one specific way that very few teams run.  

Understood. No team running any offense lately in this particular area has had the type of success of LH, Franklin and Bellville other than PNG. It has to do with the combination of players, resources, coaching and program structures. Similar to every type of offense in every part of the state. OF has had some success. Vidor has had moments of success. 

In regard to Franklin, they are near in a class of their own for any team anywhere. 

3 hours ago, TxHoops said:

That’s crazy to me too because surely Vidor has more talent than Liberty Hill.  Also shocking Prouse hasn’t won state with it either, what with Deweyville having way more studs than Duncanville or Katy…

Really. 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

5 hours ago, TxHoops said:

Question:  If Vidor had Liberty Hill's coaching staff -- would Vidor look any different?

4 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Question:  If Vidor had Liberty Hill's coaching staff -- would Vidor look any different?

Doubt it. Does LH have the same number of coaches as Vidor has now? Do they have the same classroom duties? If everything is equal, the results would likely be the same. 

On 1/6/2024 at 12:41 PM, Reagan said:

Curious why teams like Franklin, Bellville and Liberty Hill has success with this brand of Slot-T and schools around here struggle with this brand of Slot-T?  

PS -- It's my understanding that the former Vidor coach spent a lot of time with Liberty Hill studying them but could not replicate the success at Vidor that Liberty Hill enjoyed.  

This is pretty simple if you understand the culture in LH. The varsity staff works with all coaches at all levels, even into little league, to teach the Slot T offense. The varsity coaches have monthly meetings with the little league coaches and get scouting reports on players coming up through the program so when they get into the 7th grade, the coaches already know who is who and who plays where. It is taught the same way in the 4th grade as it is taught at the varsity level, so the kids understand it and want to operate in that offense. Any dads who think their kids are going to be division 1 receivers and QBs take their kids elsewhere so that the only ones who are left are the ones who are committed to thriving in the slot T. This is the product of consistency in program leadership for many many years and the commitment of that leadership to build a successful program from the bottom up. Therefore, to replicate what LIberty Hill has is absolutely impossible without long term commitment and community buy in. Vidor has/had too many folks always looking for a reason to run Matthews off and complaining about the Slot T to even begin to try to replicate what Liberty Hill has. 

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

This is pretty simple if you understand the culture in LH. The varsity staff works with all coaches at all levels, even into little league, to teach the Slot T offense. The varsity coaches have monthly meetings with the little league coaches and get scouting reports on players coming up through the program so when they get into the 7th grade, the coaches already know who is who and who plays where. It is taught the same way in the 4th grade as it is taught at the varsity level, so the kids understand it and want to operate in that offense. Any dads who think their kids are going to be division 1 receivers and QBs take their kids elsewhere so that the only ones who are left are the ones who are committed to thriving in the slot T. This is the product of consistency in program leadership for many many years and the commitment of that leadership to build a successful program from the bottom up. Therefore, to replicate what LIberty Hill has is absolutely impossible without long term commitment and community buy in. Vidor has/had too many folks always looking for a reason to run Matthews off and complaining about the Slot T to even begin to try to replicate what Liberty Hill has. 

Vidor has too many Monday morning QBs or bleacher coaches that know way more than the coaches on the sidelines.  Instead of getting their kids to buy in, they spend their time badmouthing the coaches... and yes, I hear this weekly at Vidor games or sitting on patios having a few cold ones with the guys.

P.S. Yes, Vidor under Mathews spent a lot of time at LH. 

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Liberty Hill would not look the same.  Again, it’s the coaching that makes the difference.  

No one can say. The only way to determine would be for both to have exactly the same resources and talent. Doubt anyone would say that both coaches have had access to “exactly the same resources and talent”.

This is the hidden content, please

Coming from Orangefield where the Slot-T was its offense the last several seasons does not necessarily mean Bridge City will switch to it under Smalley. "I don't plan on running the Slot-T here. After playing the Cardinals last year and seeing what they've got coming back with a quarterback that can throw, some good running backs, and solid linemen I think we'll have the ability to do some different things similar to what they've been doing," Smalley analyzed.

"At the end of the day it's going to be what does our talent base dictate that we can do and let's get good at doing that. I get labeled as a Slot-T guy because that's what I've done for twelve years, but people don't remember when I played at Bridge City we were multiple. I've coached in the Spread and have coached in just about any offense you can think of, so my knowledge base is not just Slot-T football," Smalley added.

12 minutes ago, Bobcatfan4life said:

This is the hidden content, please

Coming from Orangefield where the Slot-T was its offense the last several seasons does not necessarily mean Bridge City will switch to it under Smalley. "I don't plan on running the Slot-T here. After playing the Cardinals last year and seeing what they've got coming back with a quarterback that can throw, some good running backs, and solid linemen I think we'll have the ability to do some different things similar to what they've been doing," Smalley analyzed.

"At the end of the day it's going to be what does our talent base dictate that we can do and let's get good at doing that. I get labeled as a Slot-T guy because that's what I've done for twelve years, but people don't remember when I played at Bridge City we were multiple. I've coached in the Spread and have coached in just about any offense you can think of, so my knowledge base is not just Slot-T football," Smalley added.

Dannnnnnnnng. So OF qbs couldn't throw for 12 years lol got it.