Lamar University not hosting playoff games?

PN-G bamatex

2 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

I have it from a reliable source that PN-G tried to secure Provost-Umphrey for the playoff game against Lake Creek this week but was refused. Lamar doesn’t have a game next Saturday, so I am not understanding why. Any insights?

For the most part, Lamar University is out of the high school business.

2 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

Is there a reason? Seems like it would help them recruit local talent.

Don't want the hassle and having to have folks work the game.

At least that was how the last administration felt about it. Not sure about this one.

Plus, it's a holiday. Highly doubt any of the universities staff and employees want to work a high school game.

52 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

It’s probably bad marketing for Lamar to have playoff games there. The high school fans would show up for a playoff game, and Lamar can’t get fans to come for its own team. It would underline, embarrassingly, how little local support Lamar football actually has. 

I get what you’re saying. I also get that Lamar is never going to develop local support unless it starts building local relationships. This is a good way to do that.

Was Lake Creek willing to agree to traveling to PNG's backyard?  Was there going to be a coin flip for "home" with PNG using LU as its designated home site and this fell apart due to a NO from LU on availability?  Would be amazing for SETX to have the opportunity to see the game, but I'm curious on the accuracy if this. Not trying to stir up anything, but this would be a quite unusual site based on the location of the schools without an unusual, but not unheard of agreement. 

2 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Was Lake Creek willing to agree to traveling to PNG's backyard?  Was there going to be a coin flip for "home" with PNG using LU as its designated home site and this fell apart due to a NO from LU on availability?  Would be amazing for SETX to have the opportunity to see the game, but I'm curious on the accuracy if this. Not trying to stir up anything, but this would be a quite unusual site based on the location of the schools without an unusual, but not unheard of agreement. 

Each school had their "home" stadium. If they couldn't agree to a "neutral" site, then a coin flip would have taken place. But it wasn't necessary since Lamar said no.

I am curious as to what PN-G's designated home stadium ended up being?

Anyways, the stadium was agreed upon.

28 minutes ago, PN-G bamatex said:

I get what you’re saying. I also get that Lamar is never going to develop local support unless it starts building local relationships. This is a good way to do that.

I agree. I’m not saying Lamar is doing the right thing. When you have a support deficit in the public, doubling down on petty, hostile behavior isn’t going to help build bridges. Lamar should be going nuts to court local support. Like, every player from both playoff teams should get a jersey, other swag, just anything to make sure the players have good memories of Lamar. And maybe they’ll get more fans to Lamar games too. 

9 minutes ago, Rez Ipsa said:

I agree. I’m not saying Lamar is doing the right thing. When you have a support deficit in the public, doubling down on petty, hostile behavior isn’t going to help build bridges. Lamar should be going nuts to court local support. Like, every player from both playoff teams should get a jersey, other swag, just anything to make sure the players have good memories of Lamar. And maybe they’ll get more fans to Lamar games too. 

I’ve said for years that Lamar would bring a lot of local fans out on Saturdays to see their hometown kids play. And there’s a ton of local talent that would play well in the FCS but hardly ever gets a look outside of the area. Two birds, one stone, but apparently no interest.

5 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Was wondering about Sam Houston as well. 

I'm pretty sure they will follow suit like Lamar.  That's why Huntsville ISD had to get a stadium for the high school and that's why you see a playoff game hosted there next week.  I don't think Sam Houston or Lamar will host any playoff games in the near future.

27 minutes ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Curious on that as well. Other than SHSU, can't think of anything over 10,000 near Montgomery without it not coming south making the drive for PNG not much difference than the present neutral site. 

Only Buddy Morehead Stadium comes even close to anything like SHSU and that may not be enough.

8 hours ago, PN-G bamatex said:

I have it from a reliable source that PN-G tried to secure Provost-Umphrey for the playoff game against Lake Creek this week but was refused. Lamar doesn’t have a game next Saturday, so I am not understanding why. Any insights?

You are correct they tried to call everybody at Lamar to secure the stadium. 

The reason Lamar said no was because some key people needed to run the facility was going to be unavailable and they are short on staff.

10 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Was wondering about Sam Houston as well. 

When is the last time SHSU hosted a playoff game?  It’s been awhile.  They don’t want them either.  Same reasons I’m sure.  Doesn’t even have to be a holiday weekend, they will say they won’t have staff to work the game.  

14 hours ago, myrecordwashorrible said:

Curious on that as well. Other than SHSU, can't think of anything over 10,000 near Montgomery without it not coming south making the drive for PNG not much difference than the present neutral site. 

Woodforest Bank Stadium (Woodlands and Oak Ridge HS) is 30 minutes away from LCHS and has about the same capacity as the CE King stadium. But the ce king location is more neutral, of course.