Snapshot Day

AggiesAreWe

On 10/14/2023 at 8:10 PM, Separation Scientist said:

You are Incorrect, according to WOSdrummer99

WOS turned in 635 last alignment. If this was the same as last year WOS would have to lose 90 kids and I do not believe they will lose that many numbers this alignment or next alignment either. Last alignment was 545-879.   
I think it goes by average attendance for high school.

12 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

WOS turned in 635 last alignment. If this was the same as last year WOS would have to lose 90 kids and I do not believe they will lose that many numbers this alignment or next alignment either. Last alignment was 545-879.   
I think it goes by average attendance for high school.

It actually goes by a "Snapshot" attendance. The attendance for a specific day. Hence, well you know, Snapshot Day.

8 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

For instance, let's say you're LCM and you're going to go down to the district with Silsbee, HF, WOS and Jasper... OR you could opt up and play against Lumberton, Huffman, Splendora, Livingston... I know what I would do.

I was talking about Newton

Schools should not have the option of what class they are in unless you are a 6 man school wanting to play 11 man football

29 minutes ago, pine curtain said:

I was talking about Newton

Schools should not have the option of what class they are in unless you are a 6 man school wanting to play 11 man football

Some do it because of budget concerns and time missed from school.  It can be a real problem in sparsely populated areas for in school week travel. 

All sports and Jr High even has to be considered for smaller classification scholls. 

1 hour ago, pine curtain said:

why would they want to opp up?

We are at the bottom of our bracket now. If the bio refr. Kicks off we would probably gain more students. If we go 2A I think it would be hard to get good 3A  and 4A teams to schedule us. WOS has already told us they will not schedule us   
next year.

17 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

We are at the bottom of our bracket now. If the bio refr. Kicks off we would probably gain more students. If we go 2A I think it would be hard to get good 3A  and 4A teams to schedule us. WOS has already told us they will not schedule us   
next year.

My opinion: Playing "bigger" schools in the preseason doesn't really prepare you for anything.. if you play every district game after and even the first couple/few playoff games as a blowout win.  What was accomplished? After winning 8 games in a row by 60 points I mean.. The preseason "preparation" is wiped away at that point.

1 hour ago, oldschool2 said:

My opinion: Playing "bigger" schools in the preseason doesn't really prepare you for anything.. if you play every district game after and even the first couple/few playoff games as a blowout win.  What was accomplished? After winning 8 games in a row by 60 points I mean.. The preseason "preparation" is wiped away at that point.

You need to look at Newton’s results, they speak for themselves. We have no chose to who we play in district. Barbay said he did not want to schedule a team   
unless he thought they had a chance to beat us. He said playing a real bad team serves only to get one of your kids hurt. That is why we have played Silsbee, Gilmer, WOS, Carthage, Jasper, etc.. It prepares us for the playoffs. 

On 10/24/2023 at 11:44 AM, purpleeagle said:

You need to look at Newton’s results, they speak for themselves. We have no chose to who we play in district. Barbay said he did not want to schedule a team   
unless he thought they had a chance to beat us. He said playing a real bad team serves only to get one of your kids hurt. That is why we have played Silsbee, Gilmer, WOS, Carthage, Jasper, etc.. It prepares us for the playoffs. 

I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying.  I'm saying that by the time they're deep into the playoffs, it's been several weeks/months since they've had a "preparation game". You have no idea whether or not the season would have turned out exactly the same or not by playing different schools in the preseason. When you win by 50/60/70 points for 6 weeks in a row.. then keep doing so until round 3, does it really make a difference that you had a close game in week 2?  I don't think it does.. the starters haven't played more than 2 quarters since then. If anything, they've forgotten what it's like to have to play a whole game.  There's no way that you can convince me that 2 weeks of "prep games" has an effect but 10 weeks of blowouts doesn't.

Wanna play bigger schools preseason?  Fine.. go ahead.  I'm just saying that it doesn't make as much difference as people think.  Newton would've won those state titles no matter if they played WOS before district or not.

And.. can't be mad at WOS for not wanting to play a school multiple classifications lower... in football.  That's a no-win situation for them.  

17 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I'm not sure you're understanding what I'm saying.  I'm saying that by the time they're deep into the playoffs, it's been several weeks/months since they've had a "preparation game". You have no idea whether or not the season would have turned out exactly the same or not by playing different schools in the preseason. When you win by 50/60/70 points for 6 weeks in a row.. then keep doing so until round 3, does it really make a difference that you had a close game in week 2?  I don't think it does.. the starters haven't played more than 2 quarters since then. If anything, they've forgotten what it's like to have to play a whole game.  There's no way that you can convince me that 2 weeks of "prep games" has an effect but 10 weeks of blowouts doesn't.

Wanna play bigger schools preseason?  Fine.. go ahead.  I'm just saying that it doesn't make as much difference as people think.  Newton would've won those state titles no matter if they played WOS before district or not.

And.. can't be mad at WOS for not wanting to play a school multiple classifications lower... in football.  That's a no-win situation for them.  

It works for us.