Dave Campbell’s 5AD1 District 8 Prediction

HtxFBGuru

Just a guess, but LP’s fate would seem to hinge on Keenan’s full recovery & how they cope with zero home games. The JV was successful & talented. How they can contribute to varsity will also be key.

Being in the system for a year now should help. Yes. I could see them being a strong contender. I don’t see them being 6th.

15 minutes ago, OlDawg said:

Just a guess, but LP’s fate would seem to hinge on Keenan’s full recovery & how they cope with zero home games. The JV was successful & talented. How they can contribute to varsity will also be key.

Being in the system for a year now should help. Yes. I could see them being a strong contender. I don’t see them being 6th.

It was a broken collarbone right? 

22 hours ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

It was a broken collarbone right? 

Don’t follow as close as I used to. But, yes. I think that’s right. Young man has some wheels. After his injury, LP struggled for offense.

Defense is such a change from the historical 34/52, it’s hard for me to get used to…

3 hours ago, OlDawg said:

Don’t follow as close as I used to. But, yes. I think that’s right. Young man has some wheels. After his injury, LP struggled for offense.

Defense is such a change from the historical 34/52, it’s hard for me to get used to…

He's the fastest RB on the team.

Yall defense should be way better than last year. 

On 7/11/2023 at 7:51 PM, OlDawg said:

You will have a home away from home. It will work out well.  

It's going to be interesting if Crosby somehow gets it worked out. Even for a down year last year we were a failed 2pt conversion at BH and one score away at PAM(starting RB and QB didn't play) from winning another district championship. With the new free agents that got cleared and the old ones from last year that are finally eligible, this Crosby team should have the largest collection of offensive and defensive skill talent since the days of the Twins, Singleton, Perry, etc. 

Crosby is going away from our normal 4 wide spread we've ran for the last decade or so and will switch to a multiple offense with 21 being our base personnel formation. TCU baseball commit(pitcher) Kade Eudy will finally get his time under center, he's the best passer of the football we've had since Jaiden Howard. Both running backs are north of 195lbs, run in the 4.5's and have looked very healthy on the camp circuit and Summer workouts. The junior running back has earned 4-star status after picking up offers from TCU and UTSA this Summer and the senior running back returns after being a unanimous first team all-district selection last year.  

Last year was the first time in a long time that Crosby didn't have a real deep threat on the outside which allowed defenses to load the box against the run game. With the free agents being cleared we now have four receivers that are over 6' and 180lbs, three with verified track speed. Really excited about the GCM transfer who was killing people in 7 on 7 before we had to stop playing and has Kirkwood type ability to play both sides of the ball. The receiving core has a chance to be extremely dangerous with Eudy back there getting the ball to them on time and on target. 

On the defensive side of the ball junior LB Copelin Windfont has picked up multiple FBS offers this Summer and big 6'3" 330lbs AJ Johnson has switched from OG to NT where he started at as a freshman in the '21 playoffs. We were already going to be fast in the back seven but free agent we picked up back there should really bolster us. 

Coach Willis is walking into a team with more overall skill talent than Riordan walked into in '12 and more than Prieto walked into in '19. May not mean anything at all since Crosby was a lot better in the trenches in those years though? 

When we hired Willis I was worried about our participation rates and that is still a major concern, especially since it's almost certain we'll be moving to 6A in '26. That being said, Willis has the sideline looking like an HBCU step show right now. Jabara Williams will be our DC, Coach Williams was drafted by the Rams in 2011 and played LB in the league for few years before he started coaching. Craig "Sqwirl" Williams will be our RB coach, Sqwirl scorched this area for years at Crosby and will get his first coaching opportunity at his alma matter after graduating from Baylor last year. My cousin and classmate Stephen LaSalle has just been hired as an assistant after being at North Shore for the last three state championships. 

I think Crosby still has a lot of question marks but based on what I've seen so far I still felt confident enough this weekend to bet one of North Shore's coaches a bottle of 1942 that we would finish better than 4-6. 

11 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

It's going to be interesting if Crosby somehow gets it worked out. Even for a down year last year we were a failed 2pt conversion at BH and one score away at PAM(starting RB and QB didn't play) from winning another district championship. With the new free agents that got cleared and the old ones from last year that are finally eligible, this Crosby team should have the largest collection of offensive and defensive skill talent since the days of the Twins, Singleton, Perry, etc. 

Crosby is going away from our normal 4 wide spread we've ran for the last decade or so and will switch to a multiple offense with 21 being our base personnel formation. TCU baseball commit(pitcher) Kade Eudy will finally get his time under center, he's the best passer of the football we've had since Jaiden Howard. Both running backs are north of 195lbs, run in the 4.5's and have looked very healthy on the camp circuit and Summer workouts. The junior running back has earned 4-star status after picking up offers from TCU and UTSA this Summer and the senior running back returns after being a unanimous first team all-district selection last year.  

Last year was the first time in a long time that Crosby didn't have a real deep threat on the outside which allowed defenses to load the box against the run game. With the free agents being cleared we now have four receivers that are over 6' and 180lbs, three with verified track speed. Really excited about the GCM transfer who was killing people in 7 on 7 before we had to stop playing and has Kirkwood type ability to play both sides of the ball. The receiving core has a chance to be extremely dangerous with Eudy back there getting the ball to them on time and on target. 

On the defensive side of the ball junior LB Copelin Windfont has picked up multiple FBS offers this Summer and big 6'3" 330lbs AJ Johnson has switched from OG to NT where he started at as a freshman in the '21 playoffs. We were already going to be fast in the back seven but free agent we picked up back there should really bolster us. 

Coach Willis is walking into a team with more overall skill talent than Riordan walked into in '12 and more than Prieto walked into in '19. May not mean anything at all since Crosby was a lot better in the trenches in those years though? 

When we hired Willis I was worried about our participation rates and that is still a major concern, especially since it's almost certain we'll be moving to 6A in '26. That being said, Willis has the sideline looking like an HBCU step show right now. Jabara Williams will be our DC, Coach Williams was drafted by the Rams in 2011 and played LB in the league for few years before he started coaching. Craig "Sqwirl" Williams will be our RB coach, Sqwirl scorched this area for years at Crosby and will get his first coaching opportunity at his alma matter after graduating from Baylor last year. My cousin and classmate Stephen LaSalle has just been hired as an assistant after being at North Shore for the last three state championships. 

I think Crosby still has a lot of question marks but based on what I've seen so far I still felt confident enough this weekend to bet one of North Shore's coaches a bottle of 1942 that we would finish better than 4-6. 

When you taught the coaches... I'm getting old. 

21 personnel will be a stark contrast to what cougar fans are used to seeing. Puts a lot of pressure on the OL/RB's. 

I'm assuming some west coast passing concepts will be applied or does it seem to be a more vertical passing game? 

any major changes on defense or is it still some form of a 3-3-5 that's so popular in Hs football. 

On 7/18/2023 at 10:12 AM, Cougar14.2 said:

I know your a good promoter,but that lineup is impressive!

On 7/18/2023 at 9:57 PM, Cougtalk said:

When you taught the coaches... I'm getting old. 

21 personnel will be a stark contrast to what cougar fans are used to seeing. Puts a lot of pressure on the OL/RB's. 

I'm assuming some west coast passing concepts will be applied or does it seem to be a more vertical passing game? 

any major changes on defense or is it still some form of a 3-3-5 that's so popular in Hs football. 

That was my main concern running that style offense. Two games I would point to is our game in 2013 against Elgin and last year against Longview. Both ran 21 personnel and neither had a great offensive line but both rushed for around 400 yards on us. Elgin ran a lot of overload/student body type stuff and Simmons ended up with like 45 carries for 345 yards and just wore us down. Longview had a great RB but the way they could playaction off of their run game just made all of our defenders stand still which eventually led to bad run fits when they did decide to hand it off. I said all that to say you can make the offenses look completely different out of the same set but Coach Willis has a more pragmatic approach than Rio and Coach P so I think you're going to see a variation week to week regarding how we attack our opponent. 

The receiver we got from BH last year transferred to Dickinson but we have two receiver transfers that are eligible and both are built like and play similar to Kirkwood, the GCM transfer is even a little bigger than Kirkwood. With Eudy's arm strength and accuracy I think it's safe to say we'll be going up top quite a bit. 

Not sure the defense will look a lot different scheme wise. We're still going to run a three safety base set but I think it will look more like Carthage's version of a cover 3 vs just calling it a three safety look and playing the box safety on the LOS like we did with Michael Ray. We also got a linebacker from the swamp that looks like he'll go great with Windfont on the second level.   

On 7/20/2023 at 7:02 PM, pakronos said:

PAM also let off the gas and to be honest, coaching happened that game as well lol.

If the RB doesn't fumble late Crosby most likely ties the game up and we're having a different conversation. Either way, coaching happens to y'all every games so there's not really anything y'all can do about that. 

3 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

That was my main concern running that style offense. Two games I would point to is our game in 2013 against Elgin and last year against Longview. Both ran 21 personnel and neither had a great offensive line but both rushed for around 400 yards on us. Elgin ran a lot of overload/student body type stuff and Simmons ended up with like 45 carries for 345 yards and just wore us down. Longview had a great RB but the way they could playaction off of their run game just made all of our defenders stand still which eventually led to bad run fits when they did decide to hand it off. I said all that to say you can make the offenses look completely different out of the same set but Coach Willis has a more pragmatic approach than Rio and Coach P so I think you're going to see a variation week to week regarding how we attack our opponent. 

The receiver we got from BH last year transferred to Dickinson but we have two receiver transfers that are eligible and both are built like and play similar to Kirkwood, the GCM transfer is even a little bigger than Kirkwood. With Eudy's arm strength and accuracy I think it's safe to say we'll be going up top quite a bit. 

Not sure the defense will look a lot different scheme wise. We're still going to run a three safety base set but I think it will look more like Carthage's version of a cover 3 vs just calling it a three safety look and playing the box safety on the LOS like we did with Michael Ray. We also got a linebacker from the swamp that looks like he'll go great with Windfont on the second level.   

I think the one thing i'd say is some of the most successful programs in the state do run the 21 personnel a lot. However, it also seems to be substantially less popular than all the various spread system, run fits change, the speed to the los changes and the big plays in the passing game tend to be even bigger because 1 miss tackle in a 21 a lot of times = 40 yards and in a spread = 20 yards. 

We have the running backs to make the system work now we need the commitment of the offensive line, never in the last decade in a half will there be more scrutiny on the offensive line than this year. Blocking at the end of the day is about effort and willingness as we've learned a whole bunch of times over the course of the last decade. 

4 hours ago, Cougar14.2 said:

Dickson to Dickinson? Guess the 7 on 7 coach finally cashed in 

33 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Dixon. 

I thought he had went back to BH until a convo I had with someone that works there. 

So this makes 3 schools in 2 years??? 

I liked my play on spelling better lol but yes 3 schools in 2 years.  BH probably told him to get lost if he tried to come back after what he pulled. They have a strong receiving core this year, Dont think they want the circus that comes with him.  Maybe he should have tried Baytown Sterling, I doubt Snelson at Dickinson will put up with much nonsense.  I wonder if he is living with his 7 on 7 coach. 

Coach Snelson is like Coach P’s mentor. Coach Snelson is well informed of his situation. At the end of the day a coach should never tell a recruiter “that’s not the kid you want to offer”, all kids aren’t the same. It was just going to be easier for him to play at Dickinson than it would be in the district.