Nederland 2023

lcm93

20 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

And on and on we go !

Maybe, just Maybe the players need to man up and take constructive criticism from JS! At least he is able to wing out the soft and non coachable players from what I have seen over the years! Honestly we need more Coaches that bring the Old School mentality to the games and players! Just my 2 Cents! 

17 minutes ago, BigDawg99 said:

Maybe, just Maybe the players need to man up and take constructive criticism from JS! At least he is able to wing out the soft and non coachable players from what I have seen over the years! Honestly we need more Coaches that bring the Old School mentality to the games and players! Just my 2 Cents! 

They have obviously been taking it for several months now. You have a bad year and now whine like a baby. They are kids not men and they are still learning. Just my two cents.

The last 2 seasons have been bad. The reason, not much talent and poor coaching Unfortunately this season will not be much better. Why, not much talent and poor coaching 

I will agree that they are still learning and will be improved from last year, unfortunately they will face 6 teams with more talent. Just my 2 cents

Comparing only to last year’s scrimmage with HF, Nederland looked much improved. Great? Certainly not. Improved? Yes. 

Is HF as good as last year? I have no clue.

The passing game was much better considering that most of last year the quarterbacks were overthrowing open receivers, sometimes by 5 yards.

There was some decent playing on the defensive line with quite a few gang tackles.

I “think” in the controlled scrimmage with the first teams, HF had 2 touchdowns and Nederland had 1. On second team control HF had 1-0.

On 2 quarters of game scrimmage with no kickoffs, I believe it was 1-1.

Last year HF looked like world beaters in the same scrimmage. They played pretty even this evening in my opinion. 

Ned QB play is much improved. All 3 looked good to me, but the starter has really improved his passing a lot in the offseason. The pass blocking looked ok, but the run blocking needs a lot of work. The WRs need to hang on to the ball when securing the catch. Ned looked like the better team during the game portion, HF looked like the better team during the controlled portion. Ned needs to improve tackling and coverage. The play calling was much better than past years imo.

Not a bad first scrimmage. Looking forward to seeing them vs. West Brook Thursday. Hopefully the key players that left with injuries will be healed up and ready to go.

11 hours ago, navydawg31 said:

Care to share details? I'm not stirring the pot. I was driving home and then went to bed. It seems the passing game was primarily focused on short passes rather than stretching the field with the long ball. (That was a good change) There were a lot of dropped passes and over-throws. Are the Dogs better than last year? Maybe, I mean, there was some improvement from last year. The question is, how good is HF? Once we start playing the likes of PA Memorial and the teams in our district, there's gonna be a much, much higher level of talent and competition. I just don't think we'll be able to match all that with what we have fielded. I don't think our coaching is as skilled as it once was. There just isn't that energy or enthusiasm like there was during the Larry Neumann era. Neumann also had some awesome assistants with him, most of, if not all,  have moved on to retirement or other endeavors. It's just not the same. Anyway, that's over. That chapter will be considered a time of prominence. I guess we have to move on. Maybe there will be some improvement between now and the next scrimmage. 

On 8/11/2023 at 9:55 PM, navydawg31 said:

@KF89 did you go to the scrimmage? If so, thoughts on how did they look? 

Offense was decent, saw some same issues that hurt them last year, still lingering. With 8 starters back on Defense I expected them to control HF more, but HF offense gave them all they could handle. HF young QB looked good, strong arm exposed Ned. secondary on several plays. Tackling was not sharp overall, imo. But it was the 1st real action, so we will see if the coaches get things fixed in time for WOS. 

2 hours ago, KF89 said:

Offense was decent, saw some same issues that hurt them last year, still lingering. With 8 starters back on Defense I expected them to control HF more, but HF offense gave them all they could handle. HF young QB looked good, strong arm exposed Ned. secondary on several plays. Tackling was not sharp overall, imo. But it was the 1st real action, so we will see if the coaches get things fixed in time for WOS. 

HF young QB was once a Bulldog… wish he would have stayed.

Hopefully Bulldogs knock the rust off