Nederland 2023

lcm93

18 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Side note- There has always been min. of 3 ex. Ned QB's that were experts on playing the position at Nederland & could fill the OC roll or QB coach roll on staff the last 15 years. I believe J. Smith was a WR at Kelly, so it will be interesting to see if he can be a Ned QB whisperer 

Just hope the dogs can get it together and back to the winning ways… 

23 minutes ago, spidersal said:

The 3 QB’s the last 2 years May have been the best they had. If that is the case then they didn’t have any good ones at that position and the coaching has been poor 

How do you know the "coaching has been poor"? What part of the practice and which drills/techniques do you think they should have done instead of the ones they chose? Or, What would you have done differently?

Observing all games, you could certainly tell that they had trouble reading the secondary coverage, they forced way too many passes, had many overthrows, and just about lead the state in throwing interceptions 

That is due to not doing a very good job of teaching QB fundamentals

If you watched the majority of their games, you would have noticed that for the most part, they played like an HISD school

I would say the reasons were very little talent and poor coaching

9 hours ago, spidersal said:

Observing all games, you could certainly tell that they had trouble reading the secondary coverage, they forced way too many passes, had many overthrows, and just about lead the state in throwing interceptions 

That is due to not doing a very good job of teaching QB fundamentals

If you watched the majority of their games, you would have noticed that for the most part, they played like an HISD school

I would say the reasons were very little talent and poor coaching

Understood, you still have not revealed exactly what they did at practices that would qualify as "poor coaching". You keep referencing "what the players did" but you have not told us "what the coaches did" that they "should not have done". What "fundamentals" did the coaches "not teach"? 

Are you indicating that the coaches should have taught the QBs to throw? Do you believe that the coaches went through practices and did not work on "throwing"? 

I am sure the coaches did drills. I could not tell you what drills they 

Drills should have involved footwork, handoffs, fakes, reading the defensive front and secondary coverage, throwing accuracy, etc. Also the mental part of the game

The QB coach may have done these things , however he did not do a good job at these or the QB’s would have improved during the season. I would say about 95% of HS athletes improve as the season progresses. IMO these QB’s did not improve from day#1 until the season ended. A big part of that would be that they are in the wrong position, however a big part is that they were not taught very well

IMO, when you have the same similar talent as PNG, but in the majority of your games, you played about as poorly as an HISD school, then it is poor coaching

40 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Drills should have involved footwork, handoffs, fakes, reading the defensive front and secondary coverage, throwing accuracy, etc. Also the mental part of the game

The QB coach may have done these things , however he did not do a good job at these or the QB’s would have improved during the season. I would say about 95% of HS athletes improve as the season progresses. IMO these QB’s did not improve from day#1 until the season ended. A big part of that would be that they are in the wrong position, however a big part is that they were not taught very well

IMO, when you have the same similar talent as PNG, but in the majority of your games, you played about as poorly as an HISD school, then it is poor coaching

Someone please tell me the definition of coach bashing is ?  

Did you watch the PNG game. The only reason it was close was because of weather conditions There were several PNG fumbled snaps due to the weather conditions 

yes they were playing on the same field in the same conditions, however PNG moved the ball up and down the field and the Dogs did not. But yes it was close

38 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Did you watch the PNG game. The only reason it was close was because of weather conditions There were several PNG fumbled snaps due to the weather conditions 

yes they were playing on the same field in the same conditions, however PNG moved the ball up and down the field and the Dogs did not. But yes it was close

One thing about mid county madness is throw out the record books, stats, records and everything. The game is always very competitive and close, both schools bring their A game. Rivalry games are hard to judge off of. 

1 hour ago, Bigdog said:

He is getting dangerously close to the line..

Let Spider man speak his mind, he is hammering home his opinion cleanly. Plus it's a good discussion, nothing else going on right now sports wise in Nederland except the 9 yr. old all stars winning district in baseball & the 10's run ruling teams their 1st 2 games

4 hours ago, spidersal said:

The transfer QB from Ft. Bend Christian has had private QB training & is a member of Jenkins Elite Training founded by Tim Jenkins former NFL QB & NFL Analyst their moto is- "Where the best QB's, RB's, WR's, OL & DL, get better" .  So apparently these pro trainer coaches did a poor job with their drills & mental teachings also.

Yes and that training could be like an A&M camp where you spend a lot of money and there are about 300 participants, with about 70 at QB and some can’t even get a rep in a 5 minute segment. Then the coaches attention is on the few that have good skills and the others don’t get much attentionI have not been to it, so I couldn’t tell you what they do

6 hours ago, Razor said:

You did not have similar talent to png last year...the fact that they had a good chance to win that game at the end, could it possibly have anythng to do with coaching?  If you are going to look at things, look at them in their entirety.

I don’t think it’s controversial at this point in time to say that PNG was the better team against Nederland last year - more talent, better-coached, more bought-in to the system, you name it. Yet, when we actually had to play (even taking into account the weather conditions), Nederland took us to the brink. You have to credit the coaching and the kids. Even with whatever the supposed problems are at Nederland right now, the coaches should get some credit for how Nederland stood up in a down season against the best version of PNG they’ve seen in a long time. On the other hand, the interception that allowed us to get the game winner was an inexcusably bad throw and a bad play call. That’s coaching too. So, yeah, Nederland had problems last year. But they had bright spots too. They’ll be better this year. 

8 hours ago, spidersal said:

If you "cant tell us what drills they did", you "dont know what you are talking about". You have clearly never coached and have no idea about how kids develop as players. There are some players that can be "coached" 24/7 and never get the job done. This why certain schools never have consistent winning records regardless of who is coaching. It is also the reason a school can have a losing record one year and a winning record the next year with the exact same coaching staff. The coaches coach the same way in the losing season as they did in the winning season. The only thing that changed was the players. 

24 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Make sure you put IMO, even though some of your thoughts are correct, not all are, and I am certainly not going into a song and dance on what drills need to be done to improve a QB

Understood, because you dont have the information. Those coaches at Nederland know what they are doing as do almost all coaches. Especially those running an offense and coaching QBs. Some of the best coaching jobs are done during losing seasons and are frequently accompanied with comments from the stands like "yall dont know what you are doing", "Yall need to work on blocking", "Yall need to work on catching", etc. All the while those making the comments have no idea what the coaches are dealing with or what they encounter at practice. 

I again agree with the majority of your post. The only disagreement is that all coaches do not know what they are doing. Most do and we will see if the Dogs fair better this season

However do not be surprised if they are anywhere from 2-8 to 5-5. 5-5 would be a big improvement 

It's a cycle.....Ned hasn't had a surplus of talent lately. The Injuns have, and they returned many starters from the year before. Not so long ago Ned was beating the Injuns pretty consistently. And before that it was the other way around.  Things change....And they will again. Be careful what you wish for.

1 hour ago, spidersal said:

IMO Dak is one of the most overrated and over paid QB’s in the NFL   Correct me if I am wrong but I don’t think they make it to the Super Bowl. 

I am sure it because of coaching. They just need to get another coach and Dak will win the super bowl.