Nederland 2023

lcm93

36 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Well there is quite a bit of mingled truth in the article. Many school board members have been untrustworthy over the years to give Klein credibility with his statements. The more important thing to look into is the issues he brings up & to hold people making these decisions that hurt Nederland as a whole accountable.

First , if everyone is "bailing out" then why did Ned's population go from 17,547 in 2010 to almost 19,000  (18,856 ) in 2020?  The City of Nederland lowered the tax rate again last year to 0.48 per 1000.   The ISD tax rate went up for one year, and has gone back down the next two.   The City and Nederland ISD have no control over the appraised value of property, that is handled by the County Tax Accessor's office.  Klein wouldn't know a fact if it slapped him upside the head.  

He's just butt-hurt because he led the opposition to the bond and got it handed to him when the votes were counted.   Also, he seems to have some kind of grudge against one of the school board members for some reason.

This is the hidden content, please

1 hour ago, Bigdog said:

First , if everyone is "bailing out" then why did Ned's population go from 17,547 in 2010 to almost 19,000  (18,856 ) in 2020?  The City of Nederland lowered the tax rate again last year to 0.48 per 1000.   The ISD tax rate went up for one year, and has gone back down the next two.   The City and Nederland ISD have no control over the appraised value of property, that is handled by the County Tax Accessor's office.  Klein wouldn't know a fact if it slapped him upside the head.  

He's just butt-hurt because he led the opposition to the bond and got it handed to him when the votes were counted.   Also, he seems to have some kind of grudge against one of the school board members for some reason.

I  believe he is talking about what's happening since the massive bond tax increase.  I have no doubt that there was a population increase between 2010 and 2020.  But... 

I know some of the increased taxes that the people of Nederland are now having to pay is partly due to the out of control Appraisal Board.  Again, but...         

Here's the article from Klein's website:

"Should we all FLASHBACK?

FLASHBACK 2019 – the School Board of Nederland, Texas, headed by the Nederland Economic Commission, and supported by a board of directors that had no idea what they were doing, put on the ballot a $151 million dollar bond. The excuse was that if they built it – kids’ grades would improve. As basic economics would tell you, the more money taken out of a community toward taxes leaves less spending in the community. We, here at the Review, warned the board that if they put a massive tax in the city (school district) young couples or 1st time home buyers could not afford taxes. As well, if the appraisal district increased the cost of homes and businesses it could cause a ripple effect inside businesses and flare inflation through the roof in some cases around a 20% tax increase. And so, on that fateful night around four years ago, the vote came in and these stupid asses hugged each other and laughed at us and others here at the Review and told us we had no idea what we are talking about. 

Welcome back! That was a fun trip down memory lane! And guess what – we were right. 

So here is where we are now in the amazing dumb-ass move to increase taxes in THE LARGEST tax increase in the history of Jefferson County, Texas.

The school tax and inventory business tax is now a whopping 26% increase over the past four years

The average cost PER YEAR of a homeowner in taxes is now cresting (this year) just over $2,500 per homeowner in NISD.

Businesses both property and inventory now see a 48% increase in taxes due to the Appraisal District’s numbers, due to a now whopping and in some cases DOUBLE the appraised values of property in Nederland.

What does this all mean? What was to be (giggle) a “small increase in taxes” for this wonderful $151 million dollar facelift for the schools has now cost its citizens a 26% increase in hard dollars out of their family budgets. Leaving a bail-out in the city as it just costs too much to live in Nederland. And as we try and teach you elected officials: HIGH TAXES EQUAL HIGH CRIME AND HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT. The average rent home or apartment is now at an unbelievable $1,500 a month when four years ago rent averaged around $800.

Now three board members came by our offices to try and show us graphs, plans, and most of all a master plan towards what was going to help the community – which every single presentation was a lie. We called it then and we called it again today. Like the sinking HIGH SCHOOL. Oh, that is not going to sink? Right? Well, now after cost overruns and (count them) 11 architects and engineering firms being hired and fired by the district – they finally got one that would lie for them as construction engineers and the firm building the high school fell far behind because of ground structure problems. And Neild Construction, who is honest, kept telling the district that in the future there are going to be “major problems” and it put it into writing – that seems to have disappeared!

INSERT CHEERING! And strike the bands! GO DOGS!

Well, another shocker. Remember how we told you that the actual census for the schools in Nederland was down by almost 400 children? Well, add another 230 to that for a whopping 600 plus students gone from NISD. No teacher layoffs or cut back on management thank god! All the insiders still have their jobs! But don’t tell anyone – COVID will be what you get back (giggle again – GO DOGS). We guess baby-making is down as well and nobody is moving home post-college.

Here is our point – these tax and spenders on these boards that have a bad case of OPM (other people’s money) just do not get it. They have raised the taxes SO BIG NOW that young people just are going to other places where the crime is lower, the taxes are lower, and maybe even better quality of life. 

All of you grazers that thought you were being cool kids are spending a whopping $2,500 a year more on school district taxes and a sinking high school!"

Now -- put your biases aside and prove where he's wrong.  In other words -- attack the message, if you can, and not the messenger!  

Just now, KF89 said:

Yes, seen the HUDL videos. IMO NAIA\JUCO skill set as of now & nothing wrong with that. Being a soph. he has the potential to develop his skills to higher college classifications. Like i said if pops gets the OC job at Ned. they both will get the chance to prove their D1 skills at running a 5A offense & playing QB vs. alot stronger competition each week. If successful, i will be the 1st to call him a legit D1 QB. 

I guess my next question is this......how do you build unity amongst your current players that have put in the work, sacrificied the last few years and bring in another QB over your other players??? If I am an athlete playing in Nederland I would not have any confidence that they wouldnt transfer in another player to take my position. If the transfer player is truly better then so be it but it definitely doesnt build confidence within your current Team. 

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

I  believe he is talking about what's happening since the massive bond tax increase.  I have no doubt that there was a population increase between 2010 and 2020.  But... 

I know some of the increased taxes that the people of Nederland are now having to pay is partly due to the out of control Appraisal Board.  Again, but...         

Here's the article from Klein's website:

"Should we all FLASHBACK?

FLASHBACK 2019 – the School Board of Nederland, Texas, headed by the Nederland Economic Commission, and supported by a board of directors that had no idea what they were doing, put on the ballot a $151 million dollar bond. The excuse was that if they built it – kids’ grades would improve. As basic economics would tell you, the more money taken out of a community toward taxes leaves less spending in the community. We, here at the Review, warned the board that if they put a massive tax in the city (school district) young couples or 1st time home buyers could not afford taxes. As well, if the appraisal district increased the cost of homes and businesses it could cause a ripple effect inside businesses and flare inflation through the roof in some cases around a 20% tax increase. And so, on that fateful night around four years ago, the vote came in and these stupid asses hugged each other and laughed at us and others here at the Review and told us we had no idea what we are talking about. 

Welcome back! That was a fun trip down memory lane! And guess what – we were right. 

So here is where we are now in the amazing dumb-ass move to increase taxes in THE LARGEST tax increase in the history of Jefferson County, Texas.

The school tax and inventory business tax is now a whopping 26% increase over the past four years

The average cost PER YEAR of a homeowner in taxes is now cresting (this year) just over $2,500 per homeowner in NISD.

Businesses both property and inventory now see a 48% increase in taxes due to the Appraisal District’s numbers, due to a now whopping and in some cases DOUBLE the appraised values of property in Nederland.

What does this all mean? What was to be (giggle) a “small increase in taxes” for this wonderful $151 million dollar facelift for the schools has now cost its citizens a 26% increase in hard dollars out of their family budgets. Leaving a bail-out in the city as it just costs too much to live in Nederland. And as we try and teach you elected officials: HIGH TAXES EQUAL HIGH CRIME AND HIGH UNEMPLOYMENT. The average rent home or apartment is now at an unbelievable $1,500 a month when four years ago rent averaged around $800.

Now three board members came by our offices to try and show us graphs, plans, and most of all a master plan towards what was going to help the community – which every single presentation was a lie. We called it then and we called it again today. Like the sinking HIGH SCHOOL. Oh, that is not going to sink? Right? Well, now after cost overruns and (count them) 11 architects and engineering firms being hired and fired by the district – they finally got one that would lie for them as construction engineers and the firm building the high school fell far behind because of ground structure problems. And Neild Construction, who is honest, kept telling the district that in the future there are going to be “major problems” and it put it into writing – that seems to have disappeared!

INSERT CHEERING! And strike the bands! GO DOGS!

Well, another shocker. Remember how we told you that the actual census for the schools in Nederland was down by almost 400 children? Well, add another 230 to that for a whopping 600 plus students gone from NISD. No teacher layoffs or cut back on management thank god! All the insiders still have their jobs! But don’t tell anyone – COVID will be what you get back (giggle again – GO DOGS). We guess baby-making is down as well and nobody is moving home post-college.

Here is our point – these tax and spenders on these boards that have a bad case of OPM (other people’s money) just do not get it. They have raised the taxes SO BIG NOW that young people just are going to other places where the crime is lower, the taxes are lower, and maybe even better quality of life. 

All of you grazers that thought you were being cool kids are spending a whopping $2,500 a year more on school district taxes and a sinking high school!"

Now -- put your biases aside and prove where he's wrong.  In other words -- attack the message, if you can, and not the messenger!  

He is shot-gunning all over the place.   As I said, the city and ISD taxes are down from when the bond passed, the appraisal district controls the valuation of property.   Even if the tax rates go down and the valuation goes up the total taxes paid will go up.   Causation without correlation.  Enrollment is currently up prior to last year at 5035 vs 5004 last year.  As far as inflation goes, that's a national problem not just here in Nederland.

BTW,  Nederland ISD taxes are lower per $100 valuation than most local school districts in Jeff. County with the exception of BISD and Sabine Pass ISD.  Nederland doesn't have the industrial base that both of those two cities have.

Nederland City taxes are lower than all of the local larger municipalities.  Bevil Oaks and Taylor Landing are the only ones lower.

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

And all along I thought the topic heading "Nederland 2023" was referring to football.

To say the most recent conversation / bashing is a football topic is reaching at best.

To get things back on topic, Nederland is going to pretty much suck this upcoming year.

Now, can we stay on topic?

Can anyone guess how many Seniors will be playing this year???? I believe the answer is None. I also know there are a few players from last year that have already spoken to Barrow that they will not be returning this season. Our OL will definitely be smaller than last year as well. Definitely going to be interesting to see.

1 minute ago, OlSkool said:

Can anyone guess how many Seniors will be playing this year???? I believe the answer is None. I also know there are a few players from last year that have already spoken to Barrow that they will not be returning this season. Our OL will definitely be smaller than last year as well. Definitely going to be interesting to see.

If that’s the case I wouldn’t be surprised Nederland to have a new head coach come Fall of 2024… 

what players said they won’t be returning? 

20 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

And all along I thought the topic heading "Nederland 2023" was referring to football.

To say the most recent conversation / bashing is a football topic is reaching at best.

To get things back on topic, Nederland is going to pretty much suck this upcoming year.

Now, can we stay on topic?

It's all related, my friend!     :)

Did ANY sport (boys/girls) make the playoffs this year in Nederland? How did the “OC” from last year find out that he wasn’t getting that position and stipend next year? Kids dropping from the programs…I’m sure everything is the same as when Uncle Larry was at the wheel 😏

I do not know if any girls teams made the playoffs, however none of the major boys programs made it. When Neumann was there the athletes were hungry for success, now I am not so sure

I do know from watching football the past 2 seasons, there is not a lot of talent and the coaching at every position is lacking.

This past season was probably the most disappointing season in football that I have seen in Nederland in 20 to 30 years.

IMO, as I watched them, they looked like an HISD program. They were soundly beaten in just about every game and honestly appeared to have no desire to win. The prime example for me to say this is the way they got beat by the annual doormat SF

46 minutes ago, spidersal said:

I do not know if any girls teams made the playoffs, however none of the major boys programs made it. When Neumann was there the athletes were hungry for success, now I am not so sure

I do know from watching football the past 2 seasons, there is not a lot of talent and the coaching at every position is lacking.

This past season was probably the most disappointing season in football that I have seen in Nederland in 20 to 30 years.

IMO, as I watched them, they looked like an HISD program. They were soundly beaten in just about every game and honestly appeared to have no desire to win. The prime example for me to say this is the way they got beat by the annual doormat SF

They balled out against png. Rain helped them, but they brought it all game. 

5 hours ago, OlSkool said:

I guess my next question is this......how do you build unity amongst your current players that have put in the work, sacrificied the last few years and bring in another QB over your other players??? If I am an athlete playing in Nederland I would not have any confidence that they wouldnt transfer in another player to take my position. If the transfer player is truly better then so be it but it definitely doesnt build confidence within your current Team. 

This isn’t college. They aren’t recruiting replacements. They aren’t searching a non-existent Texas High School Transfer Portal for new playmakers. Barrier could get hired on his credentials without bringing his son. Is his son a bonus? Yes, but he isn’t the reason his father is or isn’t a candidate.
As for confidence I will say this, the Anahuac kids had no problem with a freshman coming in and taking the starting role…

15 hours ago, KF89 said:

People might not like Klein, but he does not bs when exposing corruption & lies by people in charge of running counties, cities, school districts etc. I would bet the people he calls out on SETX POLITICAL REVIEW for lies & corruption are major Douches also😎

BS

13 hours ago, topher805 said:

This isn’t college. They aren’t recruiting replacements. They aren’t searching a non-existent Texas High School Transfer Portal for new playmakers. Barrier could get hired on his credentials without bringing his son. Is his son a bonus? Yes, but he isn’t the reason his father is or isn’t a candidate.
As for confidence I will say this, the Anahuac kids had no problem with a freshman coming in and taking the starting role…

Ok, you keep believing all that. Persuading transfers been happening for years all over the state behind closed doors. I believe there is even a bill being pushed in Austin right now with uil support to let 8th thru 12th students transfer once for athletic purposes to bring it out from behind the scenes. Barrier might be a great coach, but he is no better then some on staff now. 99% sure the D1 QB prospect is the main reason he would get offered the OC job at Ned. to possibly increase Ned offensive power.  IMO, the soph. QB from last year is a better athlete with more speed, quickness & solid arm. Not sure either would have enough around them on the line to be a highly potent offense. 

51 minutes ago, purpleeagle said:

Do we ever know if it is true about the QB from Anahuac coming to Nederland?

If Coach Barrier is offered & accepts the job after interviews are done. 

Son possibly could stay at Anahuac & light up the 3A ranks again.

Might be some other highly qualified offensive guru coaches being interviewed who get the job also.

16 hours ago, glassjoe said:

Did ANY sport (boys/girls) make the playoffs this year in Nederland? How did the “OC” from last year find out that he wasn’t getting that position and stipend next year? Kids dropping from the programs…I’m sure everything is the same as when Uncle Larry was at the wheel 😏

Girls volleyball made the playoffs this year.

I am sure coach getting OC stipend was told by AD.

Uncle Larry took his wheel & drove off into the sunset when he retired, Barrows been behind the wheel since '17😘

6 minutes ago, KF89 said:

Girls volleyball made the playoffs this year.

Coach getting OC stipend was told by AD.

Uncle Larry took his wheel & drove off into the sunset when he retired, Barrows been behind the wheel since '17😘

Girls volleyball coach is safe. Any Head Coach that misses playoffs next year very well should be on the chopping block, especially football that would be what 3 years in a row? 

15 hours ago, topher805 said:

This. The son is a bonus. Coach Barrier is one of the brightest offensive minds in the area and he is just now getting his due. Trust and believe, he isn't getting jobs just because his son is in tow. His merits stand on their own. 

1 minute ago, glassjoe said:

Allegedly the OC from last year found out that he wasn’t the OC this coming year when he saw the job posted…allegedly 

And he and the AD haven’t talked face to face since…allegedly 

I thought it was said that Barrow didn't have an OC last year.