Nederland 2023

lcm93

There needs to be coaching turnover within every program to keep the ideas fresh. Nederland has fallen into a laid back good old boy attitude for too long and it has finally come to light and everybody is seeing that now. More than half the coaches don't even teach anything, so your paying people teachers salary to do nothing or sit in OCS. The whole system is broken at Nederland and its time for something to change. 

11 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

I thought it was said that Barrow didn't have an OC last year. 

From the 2021 preview. No listed OC. Could've changed for 2022. But our preview did not show the staff.

2021 SETXsports.com TEAM PREVIEWS - NEDERLAND BULLDOGS

COACHING

Head Coach: Monte Barrow

Assistant Coaches: Chris Theriot (Defensive Coordinator), Bryan Spell (Wide Receivers), Michael Broussard (Running Backs), Jae Stoker (Offensive Line), Dan Welch (Offensive Line), Jody Walker (Defensive Line), Jay Stone (Outside Linebackers), Toby Tolbert (Inside Linebackers), Mike Todd (Cornerbacks), Brett Brown (Safeties)

43 minutes ago, outanup said:

Anyone know Barriers' resume? Where he's coached, and his roles or titles?

NED BARRIER: 6 years; 23-38-0
2016  Wallis Brazos        5-6-0 F
2017  Wallis Brazos        4-6-0 F
2018  Wallis Brazos        7-5-0 T
2019  Caney Creek         2-8-0 
2020  Hardin--                 2-7-0  
2021  Hardin--                 3-6-0

9 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

NED BARRIER: 6 years; 23-38-0
2016  Wallis Brazos        5-6-0 F
2017  Wallis Brazos        4-6-0 F
2018  Wallis Brazos        7-5-0 T
2019  Caney Creek         2-8-0 
2020  Hardin--                 2-7-0  
2021  Hardin--                 3-6-0

His best work was during his first stint as a head coach at Brazos. Caney Creek was Caney Creek and the Hardin program was beginning to show signs of life in the lower levels while he was there. You'd have to go back to before his HC records to really see the impact he had. He was at Jasper for quite a few years prior to taking the Brazos job, had stints at Cleveland, Hull-Daisetta and a few others sprinkled in over the years. 

1 hour ago, 2wedge said:

His best work was during his first stint as a head coach at Brazos. Caney Creek was Caney Creek and the Hardin program was beginning to show signs of life in the lower levels while he was there. You'd have to go back to before his HC records to really see the impact he had. He was at Jasper for quite a few years prior to taking the Brazos job, had stints at Cleveland, Hull-Daisetta and a few others sprinkled in over the years. 

So with those qualifications who are they hiring, the coach or the son....

38 minutes ago, spidersal said:

Schools listed where he was a head coach are absolutely bad year after year in football His record at those schools are not good, however not much worse than Barrow’s record at Nederland 

Umm ,  not so much. Every coach has a few bad years, even Neumann.

MONTE BARROW
6 years; 39-27-0; 4-1-0

2017   Nederland                 8-3-0 T
2018   Nederland               10-2-0 R
2019   Nederland                 4-7-0 F
2020   Nederland                 9-3-0 C
2021   Nederland                 6-4-0
2022   Nederland                 2-8-0

10 hours ago, Bigdog said:

Umm ,  not so much. Every coach has a few bad years, even Neumann.

MONTE BARROW
6 years; 39-27-0; 4-1-0

2017   Nederland                 8-3-0 T
2018   Nederland               10-2-0 R
2019   Nederland                 4-7-0 F
2020   Nederland                 9-3-0 C
2021   Nederland                 6-4-0
2022   Nederland                 2-8-0

2019 did they make the playoffs? They win all 4 games in district to qualify? 

Barrier is leaving Anahuac.  I believe he should have stayed 1 more year, matured a little more and worked on his scrambling and footwork, then moved on to a 5A or 6A team and shoot for a D1 college.  If he goes there and gets beat up and doesn't make the playoffs, I'm afraid it will set him back.  At Anahuac, he would be in the playoffs and possibly make a deep run and teams will come calling for his services.  Just my .02.

1 hour ago, CCRanch said:

Barrier is leaving Anahuac.  I believe he should have stayed 1 more year, matured a little more and worked on his scrambling and footwork, then moved on to a 5A or 6A team and shoot for a D1 college.  If he goes there and gets beat up and doesn't make the playoffs, I'm afraid it will set him back.  At Anahuac, he would be in the playoffs and possibly make a deep run and teams will come calling for his services.  Just my .02.

I think you are right. I think the young man would absolutely excel and have a higher profile at 3A Anahuac, but in 5A he will be asked to carry Ned to some degree, and its doubtful Ned makes deep runs with or without him. There is a significant speed and talent difference between 3A and 5A ball. With all the hype and speculation that's gone on since last year this was already baked in. Sometimes the best move is one you DON'T make, so I hope he doesn't look back in a few years and wonder what "might have been" had he stayed.  

Just now, Separation Scientist said:

I think you are right. I think the young man would absolutely excel and have a higher profile at 3A Anahuac, but in 5A he will be asked to carry Ned to some degree, and its doubtful Ned makes deep runs with or without him. There is a significant speed and talent difference between 3A and 5A ball. With all the hype and speculation that's gone on since last year this was already baked in. Sometimes the best move is one you DON'T make, so I hope he doesn't look back in a few years and wonder what "might have been" had he stayed.  

I hear you, and what you are saying is true, but there was also a significant speed and talent difference between Hardin 8th grade football and 3A varsity football, and he navigated that pretty well. Let's just wait and see before we start to bury the kid on this board. I like the conversations also, but I can't help but think about the potential of the kid in question reading these posts and how that might affect him. We all love this sport and are passionate about our teams, but we are also all passionate about supporting all kids from SETX to succeed on every night except the one when they oppose our city! lol. Good luck Coach and Son. We're all rooting for your success.

14 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

I am looking forward to digging this thread back up in October and revisiting these strong opinions all you guys have. 

But keep in mind, these are just opinions. We are just having a conversation, that's all. I know I am not throwing shade at any team or trying to "bury" any player.   

Also keep in mind he had much better tools around him at athletic Anahuac than he did at 8th grade Hardin. If what I am reading others say is correct, Ned won't have "that" much around him to help out. Again its just an opinion, I wish all concerned the best. Thanks.    

2 hours ago, CCRanch said:

He was 14 competing on varsity this year? I’m sure with maturity and fine grooming and football camps this summer he will do just fine. 

someone on here talked about his speed? Well I know he won 1st in district in track in the hurdles so he will be fine with speed. 

On 5/3/2023 at 5:22 PM, spidersal said:

I do not know if any girls teams made the playoffs, however none of the major boys programs made it. When Neumann was there the athletes were hungry for success, now I am not so sure

I do know from watching football the past 2 seasons, there is not a lot of talent and the coaching at every position is lacking.

This past season was probably the most disappointing season in football that I have seen in Nederland in 20 to 30 years.

IMO, as I watched them, they looked like an HISD program. They were soundly beaten in just about every game and honestly appeared to have no desire to win. The prime example for me to say this is the way they got beat by the annual doormat SF

The only one that made the playoffs this year was girls volleyball😳