Dallas Lincoln 75 Silsbee 72/Final

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Rephrase..1st halfway decent man defense they've seen all year.  Only reason I say that is because they were doing what teams that don't know man offense do.  No screens (on or away from the ball), no cuts (basket cuts or backdoor cuts), no movement whatsoever.  Just try to penetrate, and if someone slides into help position either throw up a circus shot or kick it to someone standing completely motionless on the perimeter...then let them try.

If they've seen more man..maybe take some time scoring in your man offense.  Because what I saw was a team that can't score unless it's by scoring off of a turnover.

But I'm crazy for saying this game falls on the coach

That's a catch 22. The Tigers played a tough non district schedule and saw some good man defenses but that was 3 months ago. Most clubs in their district and in their region had to play zone or get run out of the gym.When you get to the state championship you play what got you there but you have to hit the shots.

9 minutes ago, whsalum said:

That's a catch 22. The Tigers played a tough non district schedule and saw some good man defenses but that was 3 months ago. Most clubs in their district and in their region had to play zone or get run out of the gym.When you get to the state championship you play what got you there but you have to hit the shots.

"Had to play zone"

Thats absolutely false, sir.  And a little bit absurd.. Inability to break pressure is what got most of the teams "ran out of the gym".  But as far as the defense they play in the half court...playing strictly zone is an indicator that you don't actually know how to play defense.  Man defense is actually 5 people against the ball...as apposed to "I got my man" crap that these kids learn in little dribblers.

3 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

"Had to play zone"

Thats absolutely false, sir.  And a little bit absurd.. Inability to break pressure is what got most of the teams "ran out of the gym".  But as far as the defense they play in the half court...playing strictly zone is an indicator that you don't actually know how to play defense.  Man defense is actually 5 people against the ball...as apposed to "I got my man" crap that these kids learn in little dribblers.

There we agree.  A lot of teams that play man, don't really know how to play man.  

2 hours ago, SportsJunkie32 said:

The blue print in beating Silsbee;

1. Above average Guards

2. Guard the 3 point line

3. Take a charge

4. Full court press for 3qtr's

5. Slow the game down 4th qtr, make Silsbee play half court 

Yates used that formula twice a few years ago 

We seen this before and still won, just wasn't our night !!! Get off with that Blue print crap .... Devon doesn't get hurt we win, point blank. You guys kill me with this BS. It's like yall were waiting to post this after the horn rung.

I am going to say this to all of these anti Tiger comments, especially ones like " it wasn't a comeback..."  If you have seen this Silsbee team at all you would realize that was Tiger ball right there.  Sure there are areas we could improve but we still play out game and we were right there at the end. A few more fts or a couple of those easy misses back and it's a different outcome.  But the biggest thing on this night isn't about a win or loss it's about a young man who has given his all this entire year for his team and hometown.  To be disrespecting his team and their effort right now is out of line. If you want to give a good analysis and say we couldn't stop 5 and he was the difference then find but right now more than anything this games outcome means very little, sure I wanted a Tiger win but a Devon win is the most important!!

3 hours ago, Lazeek said:

I was really surprised to see Silsbee get away from their depth.  Other than Grubbs and Newton that 2nd group never saw the floor in the 2nd half.  

I might be off but I think Little McCain, Adams, Maze, Barnes, and Thomas start.  Newton, Grubbs, M McCain, and Harris all played a lot in the second half and were instrumental in the comeback.  The only one of the second group who didn't (and I don't remember seeing him at all in the second half) was Mackey.  And that was a little surprising to me because I thought that first half was the best he's played in the playoffs this year.  At least offensively anyway. 

2 hours ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

We seen this before and still won, just wasn't our night !!! Get off with that Blue print crap .... Devon doesn't get hurt we win, point blank. You guys kill me with this BS. It's like yall were waiting to post this after the horn rung.

Yall were getting strummed the entire game, but actually came to life after the very unfortunate injury to the young man(very glad he's ok.) To say that y'all would've won with him is a little far fetched..IMO

Silsbee foul trouble in the first half combined with Lincoln making almost all of their first half free throws after being in the double bonus 5 minutes into the game was the deciding factor in this one IMO.  It took Silsbee out of their regular sub rotation early in the game, and allowed Lincoln to put them in a hole.  The stretch late in the 2nd quarter where Lincoln hit three straight threes to push a small lead to a double digit lead was huge as well.  Silsbee was able to fight back, but the big lead that Lincoln jumped out to meant that Silsbee's typical late run only brought them back to tie it instead of pushing their lead to 20.

I think the refs. called  a good game! If Silsbee hit free throws and make the easy lay ups they win the game imo! Silsbee put up a good hard fight and Silsbee fans should be proud of the young men and hats off to DL they played a great game. People you need to grab ur kids and tell them you love them, that was a scary incident that happened to the young Silsbee player the young man hit the floor really hard...people at the game didn't see the replay that we saw watching it on tv that was a really hard hit! That you man life was on the line but God stepped in and changed that, God is good all the time people! Life is short man I'm gonna wake my kids up now and tell them how much I love them  because u never know!

Edited by Bmt_4now

Had a great time following Silsbee this season and last. I hope the graduating seniors put those heads in the books and get in college and have a great career in whatever they want. The rest of the team coming back, let's take some time off before playing another sport. You gave 120% all year!!! I can't wait to see these guys again next year on the field and court. 

9 hours ago, Who That said:

Sad for Devon . If he don't get hurt Silsbee wins this game.. Very said night for Silsbee Basketball. :(

I have to agree! They were starting to hit their stride and then the accident occurred, still came back and fought hard! Very courageous effort by the Tigers, hate to see a great season end that way for them and Atascosita.

23 minutes ago, About a week ago said:

I have to agree! They were starting to hit their stride and then the accident occurred, still came back and fought hard! Very courageous effort by the Tigers, hate to see a great season end that way for them and Atascosita.

I hate the kid got hurt..especially being that it was the state finals.  Not that there's a good time to get hurt.

But hitting their stride?  It's unbelievable how people perceive things.  

Yes it is. Look at your perception. We had just gone down 17. Sure I think it was still 13 I think at the time.  But you could see the Tigers picking it up and feel the momentum going our way.  Then tragedy.  But the players out it together and kept going.  I won't say we would have won with him because Bruce did a heck of a job taking over but we definitely would have benefitted fromDevons play and size and ability to get to the rim and finish.

When he got hurt there was a full qtrs and a half of basketball left to play. Silsbee would have came back in that game and won if he didn't get hurt. When you looked at their bench there were several kids crying and that was very very emotional time for that team. It's hard to imagine that 10 minutes later you are back on the court playing. Lots of high and low emotions for one day. 

26 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

I hate the kid got hurt..especially being that it was the state finals.  Not that there's a good time to get hurt.

But hitting their stride?  It's unbelievable how people perceive things.  

11 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Yes it is. Look at your perception. We had just gone down 17. Sure I think it was still 13 I think at the time.  But you could see the Tigers picking it up and feel the momentum going our way.  Then tragedy.  But the players out it together and kept going.  I won't say we would have won with him because Bruce did a heck of a job taking over but we definitely would have benefitted fromDevons play and size and ability to get to the rim and finish.

This is what I was talking about, they forced some turnovers and the pace was picking up.

8 hours ago, ctown81 said:

Do you remember our conversation back in December? You had to know I couldn't resist bringing it up lol.

What did the conversation consist of, is it public friendly? Ha

37 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Nobody was getting to the rim and finishing.  All of Silsbee's points were coming off of turnovers.  It was actually quite tragic how lost Silsbee looked in their half court offense.  I 100% blame the fact that SETX is the zone defense capital of the world.