Put your best 11 on the field

SmashMouth

It’s my understanding that Lumberton’s new baseball coach, wait sorry, new head football coach is not playing a single starter both ways. If you have the personnel to do that - go for it. But if you’re a team that struggles to win, like Lumberton last year, then don’t you agree that you should start your best 11 on all 3 components of the game and sub in when they need rest? I’m not just speaking for Lumberton, they’re my unfortunate example. 

• SmashMouth changed the title to Put your best 11 on the field
46 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

It’s my understanding that Lumberton’s new baseball coach, wait sorry, new head football coach is not playing a single starter both ways. If you have the personnel to do that - go for it. But if you’re a team that struggles to win, like Lumberton last year, then don’t you agree that you should start your best 11 on all 3 components of the game and sub in when they need rest? I’m not just speaking for Lumberton, they’re my unfortunate example. 

Depends on how big the gap is between your top guy and the next guy in line. If your top guy isn’t much better then you probably want to keep fresh bodies on the field. If your top guy is much better even when fatigued then keep him on the field. 

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Head coaches will live or die with their decisions!  But the question is:  Can Lumberton field 22 players that can make a run for the State Title?  

I’m all for playing your best 11. I did watch hallettsville RB dominate the first half in the state game. Not so much second half. He fumbled a ball late, failed to have pursuit to save a touchdown, and gave up that all important 2 point conversation to win. Probably because he was tired and lost focus. A single player cannot play every snap at their best. Physically impossible. Got to find ways to supplement the physical demand of a football game

5 hours ago, vp93 said:

The best should be played in key situations in district and playoff games.

I agree with that. Achieve a judicious balance. For example, If you are fighting to win the district against the #2 team, throw your best at them. If you are up by 20+ in the 4th against a weaker opponent, sub in generously. If your opponent happens to start to rally, you can re-sub the starters back in anytime. How many times have there been laments about someone getting hurt during garbage time. It happens needlessly. Also take out your starters if a game is getting chippy. I would not put it past a hothead opponent to take cheap shots in the final minutes if they are PO'ed about losing.    

8 hours ago, LCMAlumtiger32 said:

You play to win the game. If that’s playing a kid both ways you do it. I played both ways and the only time I had a break was special teams. I didn’t know any different. I’m sure the Lumberton coach is trying to make all the parents happy 

Lumberton often forgets it has a wildcard in its deck. 😉

6 hours ago, Byrdiug said:

Lumberton hardly ever wins, do players traditionally play both sides of the ball there? 

Well, in the history, that’s true. But the last 2 out of 3 years, they went 2 deep in the playoffs. But that’s not the topic. I’m asking, not just for Lumberton, should a coach (especially with a struggling team) mandate that starting both ways will not be allowed? That seems so counterproductive to me. 

21 hours ago, SmashMouth said:

I don’t get the baseball part? Am I missing something  here? 

9 hours ago, BBH said:

The problem with kids playing both ways today is most of the players are not physically in shape. Most players just playing on one side of the ball are wore out in the 4th qtr. 

Well those are the kids that need to get into ceramics/art and academic competitions cause athletics are obviously not for them. With all these off-season programs within schools along with other sports there should be no reason why a kid is not in shape unless it's a medical condition. 

27 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

Well those are the kids that need to get into ceramics/art and academic competitions cause athletics are obviously not for them. With all these off-season programs within schools along with other sports there should be no reason why a kid is not in shape unless it's a medical condition. 

There’s different levels to the term “in shape”.