What has happened to Jasper?

During the previous regime, only 12 teams missed the playoffs in 10 years.  Last year only 3 of 8 made the playoffs and this year only Football made it. 4 times all 8 made playoffs. 5 if you include COVID year. I worked with Coach Crumedy for several weeks in the spring of 22 when he first got the job.  I am sure he will get this turned around, unless they are losing kids.

6 minutes ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

During the previous regime, only 12 teams missed the playoffs in 10 years.  Last year only 3 of 8 made the playoffs and this year only Football made it. 4 times all 8 made playoffs. 5 if you include COVID year. I worked with Coach Crumedy for several weeks in the spring of 22 when he first got the job.  I am sure he will get this turned around, unless they are losing kids.

Wrong forum sir.

3 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

Ok, I'm fair -- why do you think this is political?

1 hour ago, Reagan said:

Ok, I'm fair -- why do you think this is political?

Fair? It has nothing to do with fairness... It's a high school sports topic. Lol. I guess you could put it in the "Locker Room". I don't think there's a "Who Really Cares" forum...

23 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Fair? It has nothing to do with fairness... It's a high school sports topic. Lol. I guess you could put it in the "Locker Room". I don't think there's a "Who Really Cares" forum...

The point of me saying fair, is that I was just curious why this person thought it should be in the political section.  Maybe he/she can convince us.  🤷‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Reagan said:

The point of me saying fair, is that I was just curious why this person thought it should be in the political section.  Maybe he/she can convince us.  🤷‍♂️

I'm not convinced.  High school football is the best place for this, and if he actually wants responses, it shouldn't be an issue for me to move it, which is what I'm doing.  That said, I swear there was a thread on this very thing started before there.  

11 hours ago, AHUDDLESTON said:

The football team made it to the Regional Final. Things are better in Jasper than they have been in many years. 

In these 5 sports (volleyball, boys/girls basketball, baseball and softball) Jasper went a combined 2-58 in district play. Winless in volleyball, boys/girls basketball. One win each in baseball and softball.

I would say that things overall are not better than the last several years. Particularly in basketball and baseball.

26 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

In these 5 sports (volleyball, boys/girls basketball, baseball and softball) Jasper went a combined 2-58 in district play. Winless in volleyball, boys/girls basketball. One win each in baseball and softball.

I would say that things overall are not better than the last several years. Particularly in basketball and baseball.

What about track?

2 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

About the same as they have always been the last several years. They are good. I wouldn't say they are better or worse though.

Regional Final in football overrides all the other stuff. Track holding serve is a reflection of the football program. Good times in Jasper. Can’t wait to see how they do this coming year.

29 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Regional Final in football overrides all the other stuff. Track holding serve is a reflection of the football program. Good times in Jasper. Can’t wait to see how they do this coming year.

In your opinion. Many others would disagree.

The subject was the overall athletic program. Not just football.

4 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Yep, things are going great as long as football is good and track holding serve. Anyone know how Newton is doing in the other sports? 

On 4/27/2024 at 11:54 AM, 89Falcon said:

Girls sports don't matter for ya? 

On 4/27/2024 at 12:25 PM, AggiesAreWe said:

Maybe.. however..  Many athletic director / head football coach have lost their job despite the athletic program as a whole being successful.. if the football team struggles.  On the other hand, when football teams are doing great but the rest of the program stinks.. AD/HFC still keeps their job.

WOS.  Newton. .. programs as a whole were fairly weak during those many years of football power and very few people even knew it.  Or cared. Yet, AD/HFC kept their jobs for years.

Meanwhile, I remember an AD/HFC at Barbers Hill lost his job after every program in the school won district championships and even had several team sports (baseball, softball, girls hoops, etc.) making runs at state.  But the football team was mediocre.  Fired.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perception is reality.  And the perception is that your athletic program can suck as long as football wins.. it doesn't matter how strong the athletic program is if football sucks. 

Never understood why you can't be good at all 4 major sports.

If you are talented enough, and athletic enough to be a Regional Finalist football team, then you would think you would be athletic enough to at least be competitive in basketball. If you wanted to be......

And as big a baseball town as Jasper is, where did that tradition go? Where are those kids now?

5 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

Maybe.. however..  Many athletic director / head football coach have lost their job despite the athletic program as a whole being successful.. if the football team struggles.  On the other hand, when football teams are doing great but the rest of the program stinks.. AD/HFC still keeps their job.

WOS.  Newton. .. programs as a whole were fairly weak during those many years of football power and very few people even knew it.  Or cared. Yet, AD/HFC kept their jobs for years.

Meanwhile, I remember an AD/HFC at Barbers Hill lost his job after every program in the school won district championships and even had several team sports (baseball, softball, girls hoops, etc.) making runs at state.  But the football team was mediocre.  Fired.

I'm not saying you're wrong, just that perception is reality.  And the perception is that your athletic program can suck as long as football wins.. it doesn't matter how strong the athletic program is if football sucks. 

I wasn't arguing the point of how an AD keeps his job. The question was "what has happened to Jasper" as in their whole athletic department. They were much much better in those other sports even when football was successful. Not anymore.

Something definitely has changed.

8 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

I wasn't arguing the point of how an AD keeps his job. The question was "what has happened to Jasper" as in their whole athletic department. They were much much better in those other sports even when football was successful. Not anymore.

Something definitely has changed.

Roger.  I misread your comment.

Perhaps the other sports will turn the corner sometime soon.