West Orange-Stark (28) @ Bridge City (14) - FINAL

jdawg03

Here's the thing... they had a hall of fame coach in CT.  There was petition passed around to have him replaced because he was a "racist."  Then he retired.  Many in the community had already expressed a desire that the next HC at WOS be black.  Because, of course, some people wrongly believe that it's not racist to say "yeah, we're gonna hire a black dude this time."  By the time that the applicant list was released, there were only 13 applicants for the position of Head Coach of the winningest football program in Texas.  13.  

Do you want to guess how many people applied for the last opening for a perennial loser like BC? 

But don't take my word for it.

This is the hidden content, please

How many of those 13 applicants weren't black?  Three or four by my math... and the reason is that EVERYBODY knew that the folks making the decisions in West Orange were going hire a black dude, no matter what... especially in light of the petition that they passed around to get rid of the best thing that ever happened to West Orange Football.

So you really shouldn't be too surprised when the people who follow the sport are delighting in the fact that the community/admin's racist ploy to hire "a coach that looks like us" has blown up in their faces.  

My opinion?  WOS should have hired the best guy for the job (regardless of his/her skin color), but it was gonna be hard to find another Hall of Fame coach... and previously playing for one or even working as an assistant under one won't do the trick, as evidenced by the win/loss records of guys like Toby.  

But you only have yourselves to blame for the mess you find yourselves in now.  Who knows?  Maybe if you hadn't been so overt in your branding CT a racist and then publicizing the fact that y'all didn't care if a coach was any good, just so long as he was black, you'd have gotten some decent candidates.  The public and the admin decided that some things were more important than winning, and they got what they asked for.  

But to further clarify..  I'm not saying that WOS should have hired a white guy, or they can't win with a black coach.... that's untrue.  

I just think that a lot of good coaches of all colors decided to skip the circus down in WOS.  The public (through their racist actions) empowered the super/admin to make what seems to be a bad hire.  That's my point. 

52 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Yeah. Everyone but you. Lol. 

Maybe I have things wrong let me know if I do Smash. What is wrong with a 99.999% black community deciding that they will hire a black coach after coach T. retires. (some do not know how the school system works during a hiring process) They usually hire within. My ties to the community is just as strong as any WOS resident, I mean make it make sense. My people have land and a house that my 7 brothers and sisters and I pay taxes on now that our parents are deseaded. So to say I don’t get a say. Well kiss my grits. I really do not care who is head coach as long as the Blue & Silver wins.  As a human being I will support Coach H. it’s really sad to me to see him or any other person always being talked about negetively because of football. I am sure that his influence is not just on the field but also in the classroom. Go Mustangs, and Go Coaches!

Let's Go Astros!!

29 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

I really do not care who is head coach as long as the Blue & Silver wins.  As a human being I will support Coach H. it’s really sad to me to see him or any other person always being talked about negetively because of football. I am sure that his influence is not just on the field but also in the classroom.

Amen. 

I wouldn’t say coaching alone is to blame for the woes of WOS’s season. I’d say people are overestimating the “talent” of this team. It’s a combination of the two. Honestly, I think leaning towards the “having too much talent” aspect of placing blame on the relative unsuccessfulness of WOS is tearing the team and fan base apart more than the hire you don’t like. 

1 hour ago, ladybug33 said:

Maybe I have things wrong let me know if I do Smash. What is wrong with a 99.999% black community deciding that they will hire a black coach after coach T. retires. (some do not know how the school system works during a hiring process) They usually hire within. My ties to the community is just as strong as any WOS resident, I mean make it make sense. My people have land and a house that my 7 brothers and sisters and I pay taxes on now that our parents are deseaded. So to say I don’t get a say. Well kiss my grits. I really do not care who is head coach as long as the Blue & Silver wins.  As a human being I will support Coach H. it’s really sad to me to see him or any other person always being talked about negetively because of football. I am sure that his influence is not just on the field but also in the classroom. Go Mustangs, and Go Coaches!

Let's Go Astros!!

Ladybug I hear he’s a dang good teacher,but he’s not a good football coach…well HC anyways,there shouldn’t be an argument there.

What is wrong with a 99.999% black community deciding that they will hire a black coach after coach T. retires. 

Well, for starters it’s illegal.

It is illegal for an employer to discriminate against a job applicant because of his or her race, color, religion, sex (including gender identity, sexual orientation, and pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information.

Just like it would be wrong for BC to ignore any candidates of color when we have our next coaching opening. 
Secondly, you’re practically guaranteeing a lower quality hire because you’re taking a  smaller pool of applicants-your chief criteria is no longer hiring another hall of famer, it’s hiring a black dude. 

It’s just some Jim Crow Era thinking, but you don’t see a problem with it because it benefits you. 

45 minutes ago, ladybug33 said:

We may both be off % wise on Public school review, the ratio is 86% minority. 99.9% football and community I may be closer.  

My post came straight from the TEA website that lists all the school districts racial makeup. It's the one that counts with the government when it comes to funding.

I have no clue as to what percentage of the sports teams are currently.

We may both be off % wise on Public school review, the ratio is 86% minority. 99.9% football and community I may be closer. 

Making hiring decisions on a race restricted basis is a violation of civil liberties (Assuming it’s true that that is what happened, which I don’t know if it is). 

Not to mention, the past two years prove it’s a flawed approach to hiring (if that’s how the hiring decision was made). The destruction to the WOS program and culture is obvious, and shocking.

Let’s ask the kids: Would they rather have a coach, of any color, that gets them to state and gives them the best shot at college, or would they rather have a coach of a specific color?

They’ll pick the coach that can get them to state and to college, every time.

In other words (Again, assuming this is true, of which I am ignorant) a profound irreparable disservice was done to these players so that a few self-righteous adults can tell themselves they scored political correctness points. Good job. I’m glad this experiment is failing (if that’s what it was). When it’s time to pick a new coach, I hope the people of WOS find the best possible candidate, on a color-blind basis. 

If u think 99.9% of the voting citizens in WOCCISD are minority. Then I'd suggest coming and checking on your property more often than sending in a check. 

Or is it the team that 99.9%?

Look at the first row

e46d33f9-793e-4697-a968-d0f08f92017c_809

As I've said numerous times. Mustang Nation is everywhere. But yall don't get a vote. KT didn't get a vote. Pup and ET don't get a vote. Toby and Coach Locks don't get a vote. CT and DRH don't get a vote. But you know who does?@WOSdrummer99 & @wo-s#1... and some others here that shall remain nameless. And no telling how many other alumni and former players that still live here. In WOS. And we plan to continue to make a change to what we feel is best for the kids. 

You said 2 years ago that you want the next coach to be black. No 1 has a problem if he is/was/or will be... Any color or shade you'd like to fill in the blank with. He could be a green and gold leprechaun talking about lucky charms. And no1 would care. As long as he didn't screw up what was left for him on a silver & blue platter. Those are the only 2 colors that matter in this conversation. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly not on the right side on reason. We all wanted the best possible coach to be hired. Some thought he was the one and some didn't. But no1 though any less of him because of race. Just like no1 wants him out because he is black. There's plenty of other justifiable reasons for that.

3 minutes ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

If u think 99.9% of the voting citizens in WOCCISD are minority. Then I'd suggest coming and checking on your property more often than sending in a check. 

Or is it the team that 99.9%?

Look at the first row

This is the hidden content, please

As I've said numerous times. Mustang Nation is everywhere. But yall don't get a vote. KT didn't get a vote. Pup and ET don't get a vote. Toby and Coach Locks don't get a vote. CT and DRH don't get a vote. But you know who does?@WOSdrummer99 & @wo-s#1... and some others here that shall remain nameless. And no telling how many other alumni and former players that still live here. In WOS. And we plan to continue to make a change to what we feel is best for the kids. 

You said 2 years ago that you want the next coach to be black. No 1 has a problem if he is/was/or will be... Any color or shade you'd like to fill in the blank with. He could be a green and gold leprechaun talking about lucky charms. And no1 would care. As long as he didn't screw up what was left for him on a silver & blue platter. Those are the only 2 colors that matter in this conversation. Anyone that says otherwise is clearly not on the right side on reason. We all wanted the best possible coach to be hired. Some thought he was the one and some didn't. But no1 though any less of him because of race. Just like no1 wants him out because he is black. There's plenty of other justifiable reasons for that.

Good post. Why do you think (once again, heresay) that CT or anyone else for that matter chose Coach Hickman for the job?

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

Good post. Why do you think (once again, heresay) that CT or anyone else for that matter chose Coach Hickman for the job?

Declaimer... just another opinion from another nobody

When the superintendent made the decison to have a so called coach in waiting because of the accusations made against CT. He was the only one on staff with the credentials to take over. Lucky for him or the superintendent would've brought in someone else that knew even less. He has shown his inability to take the recommendations to hire a coach that could continue the programs dominance. It's like the Bisd football thing. And almost like Jerry Jones thinking he can still be a GM. When he's gone... we'll get it back right again. 

I also have other conspiracy theories about alot of this too. But I'll wait for the book to come out. 

21 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

I was told early on in the process, that CT had recommended HH for the job. Reason being, He thought it would be the least negative impact to the program. It was also thought that most of the current staff would stay , at least for a couple of years. I would think , they felt like they were getting the best of both worlds, A Black coach, and one that was not going to disrupt the status quo.

But for some reason after He was hired , several Coaches either left or retired. So I'm guessing this is the reason for some of the changes, that people are un happy with? Don't know?

As far as the amount of coaches that applied for the job, if someone remembers, I don't think this job was posted Statewide, as they already had their man. I was also told that Toby would never be hired, for the same reason he wasn't hired, back when CT was hired.

I would just hope that when Parents and fans are around the kids, that they stay positive, and leave the negativity for after the season. Those kids can't help but absorb everything that's being said. The season is not over just yet. 

1 minute ago, JaspD55 said:

1. I was told early on in the process, that CT had recommended HH for the job. Reason being, He thought it would be the least negative impact to the program. It was also thought that most of the current staff would stay , at least for a couple of years. I would think , they felt like they were getting the best of both worlds, A Black coach, and one that was not going to disrupt the status quo.

But for some reason after He was hired , several Coaches either left or retired. So I'm guessing this is the reason for some of the changes, that people are un happy with? Don't know?

As far as the amount of coaches that applied for the job, if someone remembers, I don't think this job was posted Statewide, as they already had their man. I was also told that Toby would never be hired, for the same reason he wasn't hired, back when CT was hired.

2. I would just hope that when Parents and fans are around the kids, that they stay positive, and leave the negativity for after the season. Those kids can't help but absorb everything that's being said. The season is not over just yet. 

1. I heard very similar things early on

2. Most important thing anyone has said. Unfortunately, the positivity and objectivity for the kid’s sake has gone far to the wayside.