SETX 3AD1 2023 Season

89Falcon

34 minutes ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, many of them move in already “developed” from other programs. Regardless, he is going down as the greatest coach that ever stepped on a football field in Texas. Do you believe that Suratt is the metric for judging good coaches?

Where else has he been the head coach? Or is Carthage is only place so far?

On 6/17/2023 at 4:37 PM, 89Falcon said:

Yep, many of them move in already “developed” from other programs. Regardless, he is going down as the greatest coach that ever stepped on a football field in Texas. Do you believe that Suratt is the metric for judging good coaches?

I think that's a fair assessment.  

1 hour ago, 89Falcon said:

Understood. Using that logic, no coach in the history of the state has reached "good" status. 

I made that statement because that is who you mentioned.  He's not the only one.  But, the status that he has earned, there are few tenants in that club.  

History of State Championship coaches.  Top 6:

9 **Scott Surratt
9   Gordon Wood
8 **Tim Buchanan
8   G.A. Moore, Jr.
7   Todd Dodge
5 **Gary Joseph

49 minutes ago, Reagan said:

I made that statement because that is who you mentioned.  He's not the only one.  But, the status that he has earned, there are few tenants in that club.  

History of State Championship coaches.  Top 6:

9 **Scott Surratt
9   Gordon Wood
8 **Tim Buchanan
8   G.A. Moore, Jr.
7   Todd Dodge
5 **Gary Joseph

Yep, Suratt is the best. And he will have 3 more in the next 3 years. 

13 hours ago, 89Falcon said:

Yep, Suratt is the best. And he will have 3 more in the next 3 years. 

They definitely should be considered the favorites… Most years in 4A D2 they are picked to win it all… just like 2 years ago when they lost to China Spring . Nothing is guaranteed 

On 6/5/2023 at 4:28 PM, 89Falcon said:

In an effort to get some discussion going again, here is what I got for 2023 3AD1 predictions:

District 9

1. Coldspring 2. Westwood 3. Diboll 4. Woodville 5. Shepherd 6. Crockett 7. Huntington

District 10

1. Anahuac 2. East Chambers 3. Orangefield 4. Buna 5. Kirbyville 6. Hardin 7. Tarkington 

I can guarantee you your District 9 prediction will be wrong.

On 6/8/2023 at 12:51 PM, 89Falcon said:

District 10 has 7 teams with a total of 154 starting positions. I wonder how many of the 154 positions were occupied by freshman? Maybe someone can pull the numbers.

Tarkington had 0 Freshman starters last year - Only a handful of freshman ever dressed out throughout the season and none of them had any meaningful minutes.....

1 hour ago, PrairieMan said:

Tarkington had 0 Freshman starters last year - Only a handful of freshman ever dressed out throughout the season and none of them had any meaningful minutes.....

But they only a total of 4 SRs. Many Sophomores and JRs got extensive playing time. Should help them out this year. Tarkington is a great example of FR not starting on Varsity. It happens, but it is not common. I bet if we could get the total numbers for every team, the number of FR varsity starters the % would be less than 5%. 

7 hours ago, BBfan061 said:

They definitely should be considered the favorites… Most years in 4A D2 they are picked to win it all… just like 2 years ago when they lost to China Spring . Nothing is guaranteed 

Agreed, except the group they have in the pipeline now is likely the greatest collection they have ever had. The team that lost to CS was not in the same solar system as this group. The only way they lose in the next 3 years is if they play up when they set their next "pre-district" schedule after the next alignment. They will not lose to a 4A team. 

On 6/19/2023 at 12:10 PM, PlayActionPass said:

I can guarantee you your District 9 prediction will be wrong.

If we're thinking the same thing then you're definitely right because I definitely don't have my own team winning district but then again they beat Diboll in a nail biter 20-19 last season the most significant win we had but just to turn around and lose to Shepherd like we did I would have it like this: 

1. Woodville

2. and 3.  Coldspring/Diboll

4. Shepherd/Westwood

3 minutes ago, TrojanWarrior08 said:

If we're thinking the same thing then you're definitely right because I definitely don't have my own team winning district but then again they beat Diboll in a nail biter 20-19 last season the most significant win we had but just to turn around and lose to Shepherd like we did I would have it like this: 

1. Woodville

2. and 3.  Coldspring/Diboll

4. Shepherd/Westwood

Give me Diboll, Woodville, Coldspring then Westwood. 

According to insiders and parents of team members, we will be better than last year even after losing 2 D1 signees.  They say we will have arguably the best rb and wr in dist. Our Qb will be used as a FB or receiver .  We will be led by a new QB. . My big question is Defense. My opinion is yes it will be a down year .

On 6/24/2023 at 4:22 PM, longball24 said:

According to insiders and parents of team members, we will be better than last year even after losing 2 D1 signees.  They say we will have arguably the best rb and wr in dist. Our Qb will be used as a FB or receiver .  We will be led by a new QB. . My big question is Defense. My opinion is yes it will be a down year .

The offense should be a lot better. Eagles return 7 or 8 on offense I believe. Defense loses the top guys from all 3 levels of the defense but still returns like 6 starters. Main guy to look out for on defense is Savon Bolden. I think he could possibly be a future D1 OLB/safety.