WNBA coach out of touch?

tvc184

Brittney Griner’s official return to the floor baffles her head coach because it was not a sellout.

I didn’t bring this up about Griner. My point is that the WNBA loses millions of dollars a year as it is not popular.  It only as a subsidiary of the NBA. If it was a regular business or even a professional sports league that lost millions each year, it would have long since folded. It is about the equivalent of a high school JV football team. At least JV has a purpose. 

Griner who is obviously a star in the WNBA regardless of her political stance…. but, her coach apparently believed that because she was arrested and in Russia, fans would pack the arena to see her “return”.

Part of the coach’s after game comment was, “How was it not a sellout?”. (In the link posted below)

That is the out of touch part. I am thinking….. go woke, go broke.

The WNBA isn’t losing money because of any agenda. It is losing millions of dollars because it just is not exciting to 99.5% of the public. It is probably subsidized by the NBA just to say there is a women’s league. With that knowledge, the coach thought there should have been an outpouring of support for Griner however.

Uhhhhh…….. no.

This is the hidden content, please

On 5/21/2023 at 2:06 PM, tvc184 said:

The WNBA isn’t losing money because of any agenda. It is losing millions of dollars because it just is not exciting to 99.5% of the public. It is probably subsidized by the NBA just to say there is a women’s league.

So you admit the WNBA product sucks, but couldn’t help yourself with the “go woke, go broke” line? What gives?

> The WNBA isn’t losing money because of any agenda. It is losing millions of dollars because it just is not exciting to 99.5% of the public

Just looking to ramble and throw in all the clever catch phrases?

31 minutes ago, DonTheCon2024 said:

So you admit the WNBA product sucks, but couldn’t help yourself with the “go woke, go broke” line? What gives?

> The WNBA isn’t losing money because of any agenda. It is losing millions of dollars because it just is not exciting to 99.5% of the public

Just looking to ramble and throw in all the clever catch phrases?

The go woke, go broke was to show what the title of the thread intended. Out of touch with reality. 

I don’t care about her politics, her stance on subject, her orientation, or anything else. I said that it’s not about her.

The point is that others (who are out of touch) think that it does. I would bet that an overwhelming percentage of the public doesn’t care either…. as noted by a metro area of 5 million people not filling a basketball stadium for the much heralded return. 

I understand why people did not pack the stadium. Even in a very large city, the game is not important in the least. 

The coach and others of her ilk, for some reason believes that it does matter. 

No, the virtue signaling doesn’t. Hence the go woke, go broke comment. 

Brittney Griner’s official return to the floor baffles her head coach because it was not a sellout.

I didn’t bring this up about Griner. My point is that the WNBA loses millions of dollars a year as it is not popular.  It only as a subsidiary of the NBA. If it was a regular business or even a professional sports league that lost millions each year, it would have long since folded. It is about the equivalent of a high school JV football team. At least JV has a purpose. 

Griner who is obviously a star in the WNBA regardless of her political stance…. but, her coach apparently believed that because she was arrested and in Russia, fans would pack the arena to see her “return”.

Part of the coach’s after game comment was, “How was it not a sellout?”. (In the link posted below)

The WNBA isn’t losing money because of any agenda. It is losing millions of dollars because it just is not exciting to 99.5% of the public. It is probably subsidized by the NBA just to say there is a women’s league. With that knowledge, the coach thought there should have been an outpouring of support for Griner however.

Uhhhhh…….. no.

She stands for the Anthem now.....lol

Uhhhhh…….. no.

Just started watching a mini-series about the pro women’s soccer team in LA.  Much of the opening episode was about the disparity in pay between men’s and women’s sports.  But I’ve never seen where this isn’t market driven.  The women in basketball can make 10x or more playing overseas, presumably because women’s basketball is more popular there.  I wish they could make more money to play here too but until they figure out how to sell out arenas, it’s not going to happen. 

38 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

Just started watching a mini-series about the pro women’s soccer team in LA.  Much of the opening episode was about the disparity in pay between men’s and women’s sports.  But I’ve never seen where this isn’t market driven.  The women in basketball can make 10x or more playing overseas, presumably because women’s basketball is more popular there.  I wish they could make more money to play here too but until they figure out how to sell out arenas, it’s not going to happen. 

Don’t ever foresee that happening…..maybe they could try the anheuser busch route…..definitely couldn’t hurt the already empty arenas.🤷‍♂️😁

3 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Not mine, either...  I just thought it was interesting that she suddenly feels a wee bit more patriotic after we got her out of the gulag.

Yep. Exactly my point.

Now, in her defense, if she becomes a proponent for changing minds towards patriotism and pride for the US, and tells everyone she was wrong and misguided, then maybe I'll feel differently. Right now, it just seems like her newfound stance is solely founded in selfishness.

1 hour ago, TxHoops said:

Bill Burr has part of one of his comedy routines about the disparity in pay. It is typical Bill Burr profanity laced but it is (like most comedy) completely accurate.

Part of his routine was, women failed women’s sports because women don’t watch it but blame men for not watching it. Meanwhile women are watching the Kardashians and the Housewife shows who are making money hand over fist and it’s raining money. Women would rather watch other women tearing each other down than watching women coming together as a team to try and achieve a common goal, with his conclusion…… “The Money Listens”

Bill Burr Woman Failed the WNBA on YouTube if someone wants to watch it.

Funny if profanity doesn’t offend you but again, all comedy is based on reality. 

16 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

Bill Burr has part of one of his comedy routines about the disparity in pay. It is typical Bill Burr profanity laced but it is (like most comedy) completely accurate.

Part of his routine was, women failed women’s sports because women don’t watch it but blame men for not watching it. Meanwhile women are watching the Kardashians and the Housewife shows who are making money hand over fist and it’s raining money. Women would rather watch other women tearing each other down than watching women coming together as a team to try and achieve a common goal, with his conclusion…… “The Money Listens”

Bill Burr Woman Failed the WNBA on YouTube if someone wants to watch it.

Funny if profanity doesn’t offend you but again, all comedy is based on reality. 

Have seen and loved that bit.  He’s absolutely right.  And brings up a more important issue than sold out arenas.  Television eyes.  Until women start watching women’s sports with the same frequency as BRAVO TV, the ladies aren’t getting a big ESPN, TNT or whomever deal.  That’s, of course, why these men are making $40M a year.  It’s not because the owner’s just value them more. 

On 5/23/2023 at 9:32 AM, Eagle11 said:

Actually should have left her there. 

No matter how bad a person acts or how much they hate the country. All citizens should be taken care of. Should be doing more to get the others being held overseas too. For those convicted as in this case, they should be forced to serve their time here.

8 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

No matter how bad a person acts or how much they hate the country. All citizens should be taken care of. Should be doing more to get the others being held overseas too. For those convicted as in this case, they should be forced to serve their time here.

Yes.

I have no issue with her being released although it sure seemed like a purely political move. That isn’t her fault. Let’s say that I was famous and imprisoned in a foreign country. If the American government got me released, I surely would not reject it and say, “They got me out for politics so I will choose to remain in prison”.

Uhhhh…. no.

That’s why I said this thread isn’t about her. It’s the seemingly disbelief on the coach’s part that this wasn’t some landmark historical event.

It seems kind of like a cutoff from the views and reality of the general public. The biggest news of Griner’s return was her coach’s thoughts on her return.