7 years 34-39-0
2006    Lumberton       4-6-0
2007    Lumberton    11-2-0 C
2008    Lumberton      8-2-0 C
2009    Lumberton      5-5-0
2010    Lumberton      5-5-0
2011    Lumberton      1-9-0
2012    Lumberton     0-10-0

I was pretty familiar with the record. Lol. I was just wondering what Mr. Melon's comment would be. This will be an introduction to a broader and already beaten to death topic.

17 hours ago, WOSdrummer99 said:

ALVIN CREDEUR
7 years 34-39-0
2006    Lumberton       4-6-0
2007    Lumberton    11-2-0 C
2008    Lumberton      8-2-0 C
2009    Lumberton      5-5-0
2010    Lumberton      5-5-0
2011    Lumberton      1-9-0
2012    Lumberton     0-10-0

He's another  member of the SUB CLUB

He had some excellent players for 2 years in Lumberton. His play calling was horrendous in Vidor and he dismantled the offense .

42 minutes ago, DP#1FAN said:

Go get the coach from Anahuac!

"Go get the coach from...."

As stated countless times:  Most "not so great schools" don't pay enough money to attract a quality, well known, big name coach.  And if you want a coach that's NOT ON THE APPLICANT LIST, you need even more money than that.  The amount you didn't have to start with I mean.

8 hours ago, oldschool2 said:

"Go get the coach from...."

As stated countless times:  Most "not so great schools" don't pay enough money to attract a quality, well known, big name coach.  And if you want a coach that's NOT ON THE APPLICANT LIST, you need even more money than that.  The amount you didn't have to start with I mean.

Vidor  paid Mathews pretty well if I remember correctly. I could be wrong

9 hours ago, Separation Scientist said:

I doubt the Anahuac coach would leave to go to Vidor. Anahuac has some good years soon ahead of it.   

Neece use to live in Vidor and I would love to have him as a coach but.................Greg would clean house and bring his own coaches with him and they wont  have that in Vidor.  Vidors already got their guy though, he's been promised the job for a few years now

On 2/21/2023 at 4:57 AM, Mr. Thornton Melon said:

He's another  member of the SUB CLUB

He had some excellent players for 2 years in Lumberton. His play calling was horrendous in Vidor and he dismantled the offense .

Are you saying that if Vidor had excellent players, then the coaching wouldn't matter? If so, that would mean that the success of Vidor (or lack thereof) has little or nothing to do with Jeff or Alvin, rather than the lower level of athletes in Vidor...

1 hour ago, SmashMouth said:

Are you saying that if Vidor had excellent players, then the coaching wouldn't matter? If so, that would mean that the success of Vidor (or lack thereof) has little or nothing to do with Jeff or Alvin, rather than the lower level of athletes in Vidor...

I can agree to an extent. Some groups of kids are better than others upcoming. Lumberton is said to be in that window now.

1 hour ago, Bigdog said:

whoever Vidor hires, they better do it pretty quick.   They are running out of offseason.  If it is someone who is going to run the same system then its not that big of a problem.  But if its someone changing it up then that's more of an issue.

I didn't realize it til you posted this, only around 5 months and change til 2-a-days start. 

5 hours ago, setxathlete14 said:

I can agree to an extent. Some groups of kids are better than others upcoming. Lumberton is said to be in that window now.

He continually complains about Matthews and Credeur, etc. but tries to explain Credeur's success with "some excellent players". I was just pointing out Mr. Melon's poor reasoning skills...

29 minutes ago, Mr. Buddy Garrity said:

I didn't realize it til you posted this, only around 5 months and change til 2-a-days start. 

Yep.  Not much time for a new coach to get assistants hired if needed, get up to speed on the players and possibly install a new system.

9 hours ago, purpleeagle said:

Vidor does not pay enough money. Anahuac has the money, that’s how they got him from newton. However if Vidor did hire him, he would build a team better than anything Vidor has ever had. 

He can take average and make really good! I agree with you Purpleeagle!

From what I have been told, there is a reason a hire has not been made. It was stated that Mathews would officially leave June 1st. Well, that will make 1 year from when a certain coach had retired. In Texas, you have to sit out one year after retirement to go back to work for a Texas ISD. That's the law.

Now, that doesn't mean that this coach can't come in now and start working with the team but he cannot be officially on the payroll.

14 minutes ago, AggiesAreWe said:

From what I have been told, there is a reason a hire has not been made. It was stated that Mathews would officially leave June 1st. Well, that will make 1 year from when a certain coach had retired. In Texas, you have to sit out one year after retirement to go back to work for a Texas ISD. That's the law.

Now, that doesn't mean that this coach can't come in now and start working with the team but he cannot be officially on the payroll.

I can believe that. I would think some of the coaches that went to Louisiana would be starting to come back. 

7 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Has any team won a State Title running an offense "exactly" like Vidor does?  I know Liberty Hill runs the same offense.  Liberty Hill won 2 State Titles in 06-07.  But, at LH, Did Jerry Vance run this same type offense during this time?  

Back in the day, a lot teams ran this offense or something very similar. So the answer to your question would be yes.

Now if you need to narrow your question to more recent years, then so be it.

30 minutes ago, Reagan said:

Has any team won a State Title running an offense "exactly" like Vidor does?  I know Liberty Hill runs the same offense.  Liberty Hill won 2 State Titles in 06-07.  But, at LH, Did Jerry Vance run this same type offense during this time?  

Teams not running out of the spread can still win state championships in the modern era just ask West Orange-Stark fans

16 hours ago, AggiesAreWe said:

Back in the day, a lot teams ran this offense or something very similar. So the answer to your question would be yes.

Now if you need to narrow your question to more recent years, then so be it.

I see your point.  But I underlined "exactly" for a reason.  Sure, there has been teams in the past that has ran the Slot-T and Slot-I and has won State Titles.  But what Vidor and Liberty hill does is a might different.  They have a tight slot and tight splits.  They run to the line and run the play that's called as quick as possible hoping to confuse the defense with misdirection.  But, this really does not leave room for anything else to happen.  You can't really have some sort-of passing game.  About all you can do is play-action passes.  I guess you could run to the line, then drop straight back and let routes develop.  Of course you won't do any coverage reading running to the line and taking the quick snap.  Plus, I doubt there can be any audibles taking place.  So, again, has any team, let's start from 1970, running Vidor's type offense, won any State Titles?  

PS -- Ethridge ran the Slot-T and Slot-I.  But he also incorporated a flanker set.  He had a pretty good passing system that augmented his running attack.  But, his QB's didn't run to the line and quickly take the snap.  Point is, I'm thinking, is you have to have some sort of a passing game.  This is why I asked the main question.  Maybe you don't don't need a passing game.  Well, other than play-action passes.  

11 hours ago, Reagan said:

I see your point.  But I underlined "exactly" for a reason.  Sure, there has been teams in the past that has ran the Slot-T and Slot-I and has won State Titles.  But what Vidor and Liberty hill does is a might different.  They have a tight slot and tight splits.  They run to the line and run the play that's called as quick as possible hoping to confuse the defense with misdirection.  But, this really does not leave room for anything else to happen.  You can't really have some sort-of passing game.  About all you can do is play-action passes.  I guess you could run to the line, then drop straight back and let routes develop.  Of course you won't do any coverage reading running to the line and taking the quick snap.  Plus, I doubt there can be any audibles taking place.  So, again, has any team, let's start from 1970, running Vidor's type offense, won any State Titles?  

PS -- Ethridge ran the Slot-T and Slot-I.  But he also incorporated a flanker set.  He had a pretty good passing system that augmented his running attack.  But, his QB's didn't run to the line and quickly take the snap.  Point is, I'm thinking, is you have to have some sort of a passing game.  This is why I asked the main question.  Maybe you don't don't need a passing game.  Well, other than play-action passes.  

The biggest differences between Vidor and Liberty Hill have nothing to do with small discrepancies in how they run the same offense.  `