Uvalde School Shooting, 21 Dead

tvc184

4 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

You do realize the Constitution has more than just two amendments right? So are those two the only amendments "true conservative Republicans" care about?

4 minutes ago, Yeoj said:

You do realize the Constitution has more than just two amendments right? So are those two the only amendments "true conservative Republicans" care about?

No kidding. I thought there were only 2 amendments. Good Grief! You still never answered my question as to what would happen to this country if we lost the full protection of the 1st and 2nd amendment. There’s a reason why they are the first 2 amendments. Take away those 2 an nothing else matters.

16 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Agree!  

But, everyone has to pass a driving test to get a drivers license, but you can purchase a gun without ever handling one.  Wrecks still happen, which shootings will also still happen - I agree with TVC on his assessment earlier in the thread - but background checks including social media checks and at least a gun safety/handling class or course IMO could help. 

What good will the gun safety/handling provide…a safer more accurate assailant?

Btw, other than this account under an assumed moniker, I have no social media…that would not necessarily work either. 

25 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Gutierrez said the guns were bought legally from a federally authorized dealer in the Uvalde area. 

So there you go. We ALREADY had a law he could not buy until he turned 18. What good did that do? 

Besides that, anyone who wants one will get one. period. Many blue cites have exceedingly strict gun laws, and some even outlaw gun shops, but they are easily circumvented by buying them on the streets, or stealing them. Do you think the thousands murdered in the Chicago hood were by legally bought guns? The gangsters will get them, and kill, no matter what.   

If Democrat voters don't like current gun laws, they should move to 100% Democrat controlled cities with the strictest gun laws so they'll be safe.

Like - Chicago, NYC, LA, Baltimore, Detroit, Washington DC, Philadelphia, Seattle, Portland, and on, and on, and on.

49 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

It was on his 18th birthday.  “Unfortunately, on his 18th birthday he bought those two assault rifles… It’s the first thing he did when he turned 18,” state senator Ronald Gutierrez told CNN’s Erin Burnett, citing a briefing he received from Texas Rangers. Gutierrez said the guns were bought legally from a federally authorized dealer in the Uvalde area. 

Jeez.....

For what it's worth, there used to be a gun/liquor store right off of main street in Uvalde.  Literally... guns and liquor.  

31 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

What good will the gun safety/handling provide…a safer more accurate assailant?

Btw, other than this account under an assumed moniker, I have no social media…that would not necessarily work either. 

No, but as mentioned by someone else - It would help teach people who already have weapons on how to keep them secured and locked away.  

Also, I could argue it would help stop an assailant because you'd be more accurate. 

27 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

So there you go. We ALREADY had a law he could not buy until he turned 18. What good did that do? 

Besides that, anyone who wants one will get one. period. Many blue cites have exceedingly strict gun laws, and some even outlaw gun shops, but they are easily circumvented by buying them on the streets, or stealing them. Do you think the thousands murdered in the Chicago hood were by legally bought guns? The gangsters will get them, and kill, no matter what.   

He posted on Facebook that he was going to shoot and kill his grandmother - he did 

He posted he was going to shoot the school - he did

Could this have stopped had their been a background on his social media?  Could have. 

28 minutes ago, Separation Scientist said:

Those aren't the people going into schools and shooting kids. 

I'll do some research to see of the 100's of mass shooting this year how many were bought legally vs. buying/getting them from the streets and post what I find. 

4 hours ago, LumRaiderFan said:

Agree with some of this but not all.  My kids were taught respect for guns and how to handle them at an early age.  They also had access to them as teenagers but knew not to fool with them unless I was with them.  I get what you are saying but if a bad guy came in the house, I wouldn’t have wanted them dealing with them with a butter knife.

No offense, but I get where you're coming from.  But you have to understand that pretty much every single parent of a mass shooter felt the same way as you do.  And as parents they were wrong, and a whole lot of somebodies paid with their lives.  I got my first rifle in the fourth grade, I'm pretty sure.  I was turned loose to hunt by myself before that.  And it had nothing to do with whether or not I'd get mad enough to shoot up a school.   Hormones, mental illness, young love, etc.... Leaving your guns unattended with kids around isn't a lot different than having a really friendly pitbull around the house.  You're still just crossing your fingers that nobody gets bitten.  

And for what it's worth, I decided early on that I'd never own a dog that my kids couldn't fight off. 

2 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

He posted on Facebook that he was going to shoot and kill his grandmother - he did 

Could this have stopped had their been a background on his social media?  Could have. 

The problem is this... your online posting about abortion, climate change, election results, or reparations could also be considered in whether or not you get to own a firearm depending on who's in power at the moment.  

3 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

No way I would go for this.  The last thing I would want is some minimum wage government fool deciding on whether or not my social media (don't have any myself) was acceptable.  This would be another tool like the IRS that some administration would use to punish someone that posted they were a Trump fan or that biden is an idiot.

No way.

5 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

No offense, but I get where you're coming from.  But you have to understand that pretty much every single parent of a mass shooter felt the same way as you do.  And as parents they were wrong, and a whole lot of somebodies paid with their lives.  I got my first rifle in the fourth grade, I'm pretty sure.  I was turned loose to hunt by myself before that.  And it had nothing to do with whether or not I'd get mad enough to shoot up a school.   Hormones, mental illness, young love, etc.... Leaving your guns unattended with kids around isn't a lot different than having a really friendly pitbull around the house.  You're still just crossing your fingers that nobody gets bitten.  

And for what it's worth, I decided early on that I'd never own a dog that my kids couldn't fight off. 

Just about every shooter that I can recall had warning signals that those around them should have addressed.  Parents or relatives chose to ignore them or didn't know what to do about it.  I don't recall reading about a sweetheart of a kid one day just snapping, there were always signs.

As far as the guns and kids, I feel you are doing your kid a disservice if you leave them alone with no way to protect themselves, that is of course after you have shown them how to use a weapon.

Couldn't agree with you more on the pit bull thing.

5 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No way I would go for this.  The last thing I would want is some minimum wage government fool deciding on whether or not my social media (don't have any myself) was acceptable.  This would be another tool like the IRS that some administration would use to punish someone that posted they were a Trump fan or that biden is an idiot.

No way.

Ummmm.... your online postings here would probably do the trick.

6 minutes ago, LumRaiderFan said:

No way.

Would you be ok with doing social media searches for immigrants trying to enter the US as part of their back ground check? 

1 minute ago, Bobcat1 said:

Would you be ok with doing social media searches for immigrants trying to enter the US as part of their back ground check? 

Possibly, but only by law enforcement.  Something like this could be weaponized very easily.

Maybe TVC can enlighten us as to whether or not this is done already.

16 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

No, but as mentioned by someone else -

1. It would help teach people who already have weapons on how to keep them secured and locked away.  

2. Also, I could argue it would help stop an assailant because you'd be more accurate. 

1. Keeping them locked away is common sense. Did you go to class to lock your car, your home, etc. to protect from someone accessing them?

2. The ones who have guns responding to the assailant already have plenty of training (Law Enforcent).

2 minutes ago, SmashMouth said:

1. Keeping them locked away is common sense. Did you go to class to lock your car, your home, etc. to protect from someone accessing them?

2. The ones who have guns responding to the assailant already have plenty of training (Law Enforcent).

In this case it seems like the police employed by Uvalde ISD completely forgot their training. I'm having a very difficult time figuring out how the shooter was able to step foot inside the school if he was confronted by multiple members of law enforcement.

30 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Depends. In this particular case, how soon did he make those posts before carrying out those acts?