Uvalde School Shooting, 21 Dead

tvc184

5 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

Yep, don’t you know that Guns have a mind of their own and they shoot by themselves? 

As well as planes?  I'm not sure I understand your rebuttal.  

So you'd agree that putting laws and regulations in place have helped stop planes crashing into buildings because they cannot fly themselves?   

3 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

And how many laws & new regulations were passed because of 9/11? It's almost like something changed and we haven't had another 9/11 since.  

I am just illustrating that guns is THE only inanimate object that is ever blamed for the actions of murderous individual(s). Cars, aircraft, knives, even pillows (suffocation) could be blamed but never are. 

10 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

So you'd agree that putting laws and regulations in place have helped stop planes crashing into buildings because they cannot fly themselves?   

Sure. Commercial airlines are as accessible as getting a gun. Lol

17 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

I'm pro second amendment - I just cannot understand how easy it is to be a gun owner, that is what baffles me. 

It’s a right……would you want to make it harder to speak freely? I get the outrage and cannot imagine what the parents are going through, but restricting my rights to own or purchase a gun will not prevent someone else from killing if that is their plan.

16 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Wouldn’t you agree we have enough gun laws in place already?

2 minutes ago, Unwoke said:

Sure. Commercial airlines are as accessible as getting a gun. Lol

Well, that's actually my point.  Something easily accessible as a gun - few to no regulations.   Flying after after 9/11 - VERY regulated. 

3 minutes ago, thetragichippy said:

It’s a right……would you want to make it harder to speak freely? I get the outrage and cannot imagine what the parents are going through, but restricting my rights to own or purchase a gun will not prevent someone else from killing if that is their plan.

I'm a gun owner, but I also know what I'm doing with a gun.  It should NOT be as easy as it is to purchase a gun. 

4 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Well, that's actually my point.  Something easily accessible as a gun - few to no regulations.   Flying after after 9/11 - VERY regulated. 

As I said earlier. You can’t legislate hate in some one’s heart if you try eventually you’ll have a communist government. I think I’ll pass. Look at the destruction the government did with Covid.

1 hour ago, Bobcat1 said:

I'm a gun owner, but I also know what I'm doing with a gun.  It should NOT be as easy as it is to purchase a gun. 

Yeah... i bought a new pistol during the pandemic and I literally told the guy at Academy "I'm going to take my mask down so you can verify that it's me.  And I think you should do that with anybody buying a gun."

I read that this kid had two AR pistols on him.  I very seriously doubt that he bought them in the week that passed since his 18th birthday.  It means that he either

1.  stole them from an irresponsible gun owner who didn't have them secured.

2.  Took them from a parent that felt like he was familiar with safe gun operation and knew the rules... like a lot of y'all keep saying about your kids.

3.  Had them given to him by parents whose #1 concern was giving him everything he wanted while turning a blind eye towards possible mental/emotional defects.  

But "not being so easy to purchase a gun" might not be the answer that all of us are looking for.  It's such a grey area. 

13 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

Yeah... i bought a new pistol during the pandemic and I literally told the guy at Academy "I'm going to take my mask down so you can verify that it's me.  And I think you should do that with anybody buying a gun."

I read that this kid had two AR pistols on him.  I very seriously doubt that he bought them in the week that passed since his 18th birthday.  It means that he either

2.  Took them from a parent that felt like he was familiar with safe gun operation and knew the rules... like a lot of y'all keep saying about your kids.

3.  Had them given to him by parents whose #1 concern was giving him everything he wanted while turning a blind eye towards possible mental/emotional defects.  

But "not being so easy to purchase a gun" might not be the answer that all of us are looking for.  It's such a grey area. 

Some of us know our kids are familiar with and can be trusted with guns.

I bet the same folks that seem to not trust their kids with a gun are willing to put them behind the wheel of a 5000 pound car at age 15 along with a bunch of other 5000 pound vehicles passing them at 60 mph.

If you don't trust your kids with guns, lock them up but don't apply that attitude to everyone.

And the Academy thing, that's simply not following the rules we already have, no need for more.

10 minutes ago, CardinalBacker said:

It was on his 18th birthday.  “Unfortunately, on his 18th birthday he bought those two assault rifles… It’s the first thing he did when he turned 18,” state senator Ronald Gutierrez told CNN’s Erin Burnett, citing a briefing he received from Texas Rangers. Gutierrez said the guns were bought legally from a federally authorized dealer in the Uvalde area. 

Just now, LumRaiderFan said:

Some of us know our kids are familiar with and can be trusted with guns.

I bet the same folks that seem to not trust their kids with a gun are willing to put them behind the wheel of a 5000 pound car at age 15 along with a bunch of other 5000 pound vehicles passing them at 60 mph.

If you don't trust your kids with guns, lock them up but don't apply that attitude to everyone.

Agree!  

But, everyone has to pass a driving test to get a drivers license, but you can purchase a gun without ever handling one.  Wrecks still happen, which shootings will also still happen - I agree with TVC on his assessment earlier in the thread - but background checks including social media checks and at least a gun safety/handling class or course IMO could help. 

2 hours ago, Unwoke said:

If we’re talking about a True conservative Republican. I would say to honor their oath to uphold the Constitution of the United States an not chop away at the 1st and 2nd Amendment. 

You do realize the Constitution has more than just two amendments right? So are those two the only amendments "true conservative Republicans" care about?

3 minutes ago, Bobcat1 said:

Agree!  

But, everyone has to pass a driving test to get a drivers license, but you can purchase a gun without ever handling one.  Wrecks still happen, which shootings will also still happen - I agree with TVC on his assessment earlier in the thread - but background checks including social media checks and at least a gun safety/handling class or course IMO could help. 

I wouldn't argue with a gun safety class but it will not stop these animals from doing this.