Minnesota man killed by cops

new tobie

6 minutes ago, westend1 said:

Interesting.  I see unarmed citizens hauling a$$ , as they should, and police coming in, as they are trained to do.

Yes. BLM protesters running for cover behind the cops they were protesting against. Also following police commands. See how that works?

What was in my original post that you didn't see in the video?

4 minutes ago, baddog said:

Yes. BLM protesters running for cover behind the cops they were protesting against. Also following police commands. See how that works?

What was in my original post that you didn't see in the video?

Were they protesting against all cops or just the small percentage of the bad ones that alot of people want to see held accountable for their actions? There were alot of folks taking pictures with the cops out there and conversating (sp) with them. It was peaceful until that dumbarse popped off. I would have hightailed it outta there to safety as well, not run towards the gunshots with the cops. Not sure where the disconnect in that is. 

What are these protest in Baton Rouge accomplishing?  Just an excuse for some to act like fools and cause more tensions.  Wonder if there are any chants of "pigs in a blanket, fry like bacon" from the BLM bunch.  All this fear that black men say they have for police starts at home when they are young.  I have heard more than once that young blacks are taught to not trust police.  Where will that lead?   Who do the BLM bunch call when they need help or there is an emergency?  They call the group that had 5 of their own gunned down last night.  If they are so afraid of the police, why call them?

9 minutes ago, baddog said:

Have either of these shootings been by bad cops? I haven't seen the charges yet, so what are they protesting.....in Dallas of all places?

These not the only shootings that have happened, these last two are just the recent ones. There's protests going on in more cities than just Dallas. 

8 minutes ago, baddog said:

Have either of these shootings been by bad cops? I haven't seen the charges yet, so what are they protesting.....in Dallas of all places?

I don't think there are many "bad" cops.  I think there are plenty who are either scared, improperly trained, or just not suited for a dangerous job.  I think that is the basis for the protest.   It's a tough job and takes a special person.   We should pay them more.

3 minutes ago, westend1 said:

I don't think there are many "bad" cops.  I think there are plenty who are either scared, improperly trained, or just not suited for a dangerous job.  I think that is the basis for the protest.   It's a tough job and takes a special person.   We should pay them more.

Yup, pay em six figures, get your criminal justice degree and have better screenings & better annual training. I often wondered how many ex-military veterans become cops but slip through the cracks having ptsd. The thing with paying more is that you'll have more ppl being cops just for the money, not to actually do the job. 

What do these protests accomplish? I think they have more of a negative effect rather than solving anything. I think it also fuels or even encourages someone, like this sniper, to go out and kill cops, especially white ones and white people in general. These were his words. This is not just against bad cops.

Like BS said, I have heard some of their chants.

12 hours ago, Big girl said:

If a cop shoots someone and the person goes down, shouldn't the cop stop shooting? What is the procedure in these type of cases?

The only procedure is to shoot until the threat is over. Not the television fire a single shot and step back and take notes if it appears to have stopped any potential attack. 

Officers are trained to fire multiple shots very quickly. The last officer involved shooting that I saw locally was 7 shots in around 2 to 2.5 seconds. There is not a lot of time to step back and view the results of shots fired and assess whether more are needed. To do so is to increase the risk of death to the officer. Maybe the first or second shot ended the incident but in less than another second and a half there simply is not time to make that judgment. The officer did not start the incident. The deceased (like almost always) started the sequence of events that ended in him being shot, not the officer. 

11 minutes ago, tvc184 said:

The only procedure is to shoot until the threat is over. Not the television fire a single shot and step back and take notes if it appears to have stopped any potential attack. 

Officers are trained to fire multiple shots very quickly. The last officer involved shooting that I saw locally was 7 shots in around 2 to 2.5 seconds. There is not a lot of time to step back and view the results of shots fired and assess whether more are needed. To do so is to increase the risk of death to the officer. Maybe the first or second shot ended the incident but in less than another second and a half there simply is not time to make that judgment. The officer did not start the incident. The deceased (like almost always) started the sequence of events that ended in him being shot, not the officer. 

And some simply cannot/will not accept this.

1 hour ago, westend1 said:

I think you hit the nail square on the head. 

Obviously there are bad cops but very few. I have seen recent stats that show an average of 2% of officers even kill anyone in the line of duty in an entire career. I am not sure about those but they seem to be in line from that I have seen. That is not only unlawful or improper uses of deadly force but all of them, with most being ruled lawful

That probably leaves well less than 1% of all officers ever being involved in a wrongful use of deadly force. 

Think about that. Over 99% of officers likely will never be involved in an unlawful death. Feel free to compare that to any other profession and any area of misconduct.

And I completely agree that it takes a special person and some should not be in the profession. If it was up to the police, they would weed most of them out. Politicians sometimes get in the way of removing many of those officers.  They also fall far short of money needed and not in salary but in training. I would be willing to bet that a majority of officers fire their weapons on duty once a year at annual qualifications. Any other training falls on the officer to purchase his own ammo, weapons, range membership, etc. Even in that actual firing of weapons, there is little training on use of force in general. 

I doubt that we will see any of those politicians stepping up and making those moneys available anytime in the near future. 

8 hours ago, tvc184 said:

I've seen comments like, "The officer just stood there and let him bleed out".  Like most, I have no idea, but is an officer required, or even suppose to, render aid to someone they shot intentionally?  If I were an officer, I'd be to concerned that "other" threats may happen while my attention was on first aid.

11 hours ago, BS Wildcats said:

What are these protest in Baton Rouge accomplishing?  Just an excuse for some to act like fools and cause more tensions.  Wonder if there are any chants of "pigs in a blanket, fry like bacon" from the BLM bunch.  All this fear that black men say they have for police starts at home when they are young.  I have heard more than once that young blacks are taught to not trust police.  Where will that lead?   Who do the BLM bunch call when they need help or there is an emergency?  They call the group that had 5 of their own gunned down last night.  If they are so afraid of the police, why call them?

Trust police think about it I'm pretty young 24 born in 90's my father 60,s his father 40's if you were a black man who grew up under Jim Crow. What would you tell your son about cops. I think it's important for every Man to have a talk with his son about how you should deal with cops. It would save him and the cop less problems. 

On July 8, 2016 at 0:17 AM, CardinalBacker said:

Words have impact. When people lie and claim that there is a war, or pretend that cops are gunning down innocent young black men in the streets, events like tonight in Dallas will occur. I have a friend posting on FB tonight about how there have been 116 people gunned down by police this year in America. He's worried about his teenaged black sons! On the other hand, he can't even hazard a guess as to how many black men have been gunned down by other black men this year in Jefferson County, which is where his sons actually live! You're focusing on the wrong problems, my friend. 

The stats are available. Don't quote this, but something like 4400 black on black murders per year on average 2009-2013 per the FBI. Something like 120 cop on black murders per year for the same period. If you want America to take you seriously, start protesting about the thousands of lives lost to senseless black on black violence instead of focusing on the very, very few instances of police killings (most of which were obviously justified). 

But then again, your talking about a group of people who will stand out in the sun and protest an old racist like Paula Deen who admits using the N word in 1987, but then not be bothered by the same word in 2016 when it's laid down over a catchy beat. 

Keep focusing on imaginary damage inflicted by The Man, and just ignore the much greater damage you're doing to yourselves. P

Black kills blacks white kills whites etc. most blacks live in neighborhoods where it's typically nothing but blacks so your most likely to get helped by a black hurt by a black killed by a black etc. that should be common sense. Americans or more likely to get killed by a American so we shouldn't focus on Muslims and illegal Hispanics right. Considering your more likely to be affected by another American. 

On July 7, 2016 at 11:57 AM, baddog said:

I won't comment on any more threads consisting of white cops shooting black people. Unfortunately, cops have to defend themselves everyday and people of all races get killed. The ONLY reason tobie posted this one is......do I really have to say?

Do you think that this topic wouldn't have been started?

6 hours ago, PAMFAM10 said:

Trust police think about it I'm pretty young 24 born in 90's my father 60,s his father 40's if you were a black man who grew up under Jim Crow. What would you tell your son about cops. I think it's important for every Man to have a talk with his son about how you should deal with cops. It would save him and the cop less problems. 

There lies another issue.  It seems that in the black community, there are a lot of kids without a father figure.  I know this happens with all races, but in listening to black leaders, it is a major problem with the black community.  But, when you hear the chants by some and, as I heard from an adult on the news last saying f the police, those talks prolly fall on deaf ears.  If an adult will show no restraint, what will the young ppl perceive as ok.

Now I am reading that the deceased did not have a weapons license and he was not pulled over for a taillight out. Of course the girlfriend spit that out while the guy was dying. 

Why was he pulled over? An armed robbery had taken place not far away and this guy fit the description. According to some unconfirmed reports that I read the officer's recording (not the after the fact one by the girlfriend... making an alibi perhaps) that the officer ordered the guy not to move or to stop moving. 

Again, none of this is confirmed except that guy being stopped as a robbery suspect which I believe was put out by the state police. 

IF.. the "what if" game.... If these things are true, does it change some of the opinions that the officer is guilty and there seems to be no need for an investigation? Let's say the officer was pulling over a guy and maybe girl that he believes just committed an armed robbery, he ordered the guy not to move and then the guy did move and was shot.... does it change the "let's build the gallows and hang the officer now" which seems to have prevailed in some of the posts?

Also and without knowing the truth of any of these, does it tend to make sense on the idea of let's see what the investigation shows before we convict? If only the armed robbery suspect is correct and the handgun license facts change, that alone would tend to change the dynamic of the incident completely from what has been portrayed.