Central's New Transfer

ozensfinest

Just to try and help.

The kid could be eligible if the "guardian" is his legal guardian.  Meaning, whoever sent him from Atlanta signed over all rights of guardianship to whoever he is staying with now.  If not, he could be deemed ineligible.  But first they will have to fill out the PAPF (Previous Athletic Participation Form) for the player, the PAPF will then go to the DEC (District Executive Committee) for a vote.  If the DEC votes yes, he is eligible.  If the DEC votes no, Central and his guardian can then file an appeal with UIL.  UIL is not known for passing these at a high rate but it has been known to happen.

My advice is, sit back and wait.  You can assume all you want but we won't know until the DEC decides or the UIL.  

Wondering the same thing. 

Edited by BLUEDOVE3

Question, why didn't the "guardian" in Atlanta not enroll them in a local school in that area when the other school closed?

Just what was the situation that led them across a few states to go to school other than the school in Atlanta closing?

I won't go into details but the kids were in a bad situation in Atlanta.  I can tell you they are thrilled to be where they are now. 

Who cares?  Because adults in this AAU stuff seem to forget it's about the kid and not about themselves.  If they had the kid's best interest at heart, he would be going to a good academic school like someone mentioned previously.  There are plenty of local schools with open enrollment and better academic standing that this kid could be "steered" to.  

One AAU coach handed off this prized recruit to another AAU coaching friend.  That's how he made if from Atlanta to little old SETX.  This has nothing to do with what's best for the kid.  It's about stacking a team.  Team A fell through, so now its on to Team B.  

glad you know what you're talking about.   And by "know what you're talking about," I mean you don't know your behind from your elbow.  Stereotype all you want, but like any form of the practice, it comes from ignorance.  These kids are being taken care of here because they came to the states hoping for a better life and were placed in a situation that wasn't much better.  Their "guardian" or "handler" will spend thousands of dollars feeding, clothing and housing them so hopefully they can get a free education down the road.   He is not paid to do so.  

But please continue to educate us on these people of whom you obviously know nothing about. 

Strange thing... with all the accusations, I'm surprised there are so many questions?

Speaking for myself, I am not accusing anyone of anything. Was just asking questions about the kids situation and how they came to this area.

I have been told by many in the know that it is unlikely that these kids will be eligible to play varsity sports this season. But stranger things have happened.

AAW - Your questions are valid.  There were a lot of issues that aren't appropriate to discuss on an Internet forum.  But there are circumstances that may work in their favor with the UIL.  We shall see.  Regardless, they are getting good experience practicing at Central which should help them in their goals. 

AAW - Your questions are valid.  There were a lot of issues that aren't appropriate to discuss on an Internet forum.  But there are circumstances that may work in their favor with the UIL.  We shall see.  Regardless, they are getting good experience practicing at Central which should help them in their goals. 

So when the student was being steered to Kelly it was about education.  Now that he has been steered to Central HS it's about basketball.  Which is it???

So when the student was being steered to Kelly it was about education.  Now that he has been steered to Central HS it's about basketball.  Which is it???

He was being steered to Kelly because of education and the fact that the guardian has a kid at Kelly. When that fell through, he is being zoned...not steered to Central. It's not about basketball. Its about where he lives now. Everyone is just making it about basketball in my opinion. Obviously the kid is a good basketball player and I can see how people out of the loop may think that he is being steered to Central. But the timeline I posted above is how it went down.

Edited by winwin

He was being steered to Kelly because of education and the fact that the guardian has a kid at Kelly. When that fell through, he is being zoned...not steered to Central. It's not about basketball. Its about where he lives now. Everyone is just making it about basketball in my opinion. Obviously the kid is a good basketball player and I can see how people out of the loop may think that he is being steered to Central. But the timeline I posted above is how it went down.

I have no idea how this is so hard to understand.  

Question, why didn't the "guardian" in Atlanta not enroll them in a local school in that area when the other school closed?

Just what was the situation that led them across a few states to go to school other than the school in Atlanta closing?

^ This... Can someone answer this question. I'm curious to know what happened to the kids guardian in Atlanta. Is it that easy to switch guardians? 

^ This... Can someone answer this question. I'm curious to know what happened to the kids guardian in Atlanta. Is it that easy to switch guardians? 

There were a lot of circumstances regarding these kids that are not appropriate for discussion here and frankly none of the general public's business.  I am sure the DC and UIL will be apprised of their situation there and here.  Suffice it to say they are in a much better place here and are beyond happy to be here and not there.  And none of what brought them here is even remotely their fault. 

Oh, so now he got "zoned" to Central HS.  Got ya.  Now I understand.  Wait I thought kids in Beaumont ISD could choose their HS going to the 9th grade?  Is that incorrect?  Didn't the Boyd kid from Ozen and the Pearson kid from Central play at the same Jr. high???  Thought I heard that here a while back?  

There were a lot of circumstances regarding these kids that are not appropriate for discussion here and frankly none of the general public's business.  I am sure the DC and UIL will be apprised of their situation there and here.  Suffice it to say they are in a much better place here and are beyond happy to be here and not there.  And none of what brought them here is even remotely their fault. 

I am officially closing the book on this one. Either people really don't understand, don't want to believe the answer they are getting, or just stirring things up. For the people out there asking sincere questions, I answered them to the best of my knowledge and hope I helped you. For the ones that just don't get it, maybe you should enroll at Kelly :) I hear they have a pretty good communications program :):)

That is a great question. But none of us on here are privy to that answer or information.

Edited by winwin

I understand that but how was one made aware of there situation? Was there guardian in Atlanta friends or related to there now new guardian? 

The guardian is friends with someone who heard of their plight and was trying to get them out of a bad situation by finding someone who could give them a home while they are in the states.  

All you need is Educational Guardianship to make decisions on a child's school issues.

Nothing against Central/Ozen, etc...BUT if the kid is THAT good there are much better programs in Texas and especially throughout the USA for him to attend.  Kelly, in the past, has allowed basketball kids to go for free.  Yes, even the Catholic's like sport.  there were a couple of PA kids that did this a few years ago, don't remember their names 

Some of you sound like true sports reporter. The Kind that never played but always want tell someone else how or what they should do. We should be celebrating the success that the Golden triangle has had in sports as of late. ( basketball) Without a doubt AAU has had a major impact on the high schools success. Just count the number of kids that has been blessed to receive a FREE education by doing so. If you guys won't say it I will. Great Job Sneed and Dill. This didn't start until they started years ago.  A few kids now and then but not at the rate that it's at now. So let's stop saying AAU. Furthermore only idiots speak on what they don't know.