Central's New Transfer

ozensfinest

Oh, so now he got "zoned" to Central HS.  Got ya.  Now I understand.  Wait I thought kids in Beaumont ISD could choose their HS going to the 9th grade?  Is that incorrect?  Didn't the Boyd kid from Ozen and the Pearson kid from Central play at the same Jr. high???  Thought I heard that here a while back?  

You are correct. I have a couple of nephews in elementary school in Beaumont. They are zoned for Amelia, but my brother put in a request prior to the start of school, to go to Regina Howell. The district granted it, so both kids are attending school outside of their zone. Now, when they go to the 8th grade, they will have to go to their zoned school or they can put in another request for the school they want to attend. It may or may not be granted. Same for 8th graders going into the 9th grade. The difference is, Varsity sports aren't part of the equation before high school. So you may see kids in Middle School in Beaumont playing together, but that doesn't necessarily mean they will attend the same high school. You CAN transfer high schools too, but you have to sit out a year of Varsity (This is where the UIL comes in). So if Boyd would have attended Central his freshman year and then transferred to Ozen, he would have had to sit out Varsity his sophomore year. None of which has anything to do with a transfer coming in from another area. If the BISD would just stick to strict zones, there wouldn't be as much confusion.

It DOES have to do with the transfer.  The first thing stated on this lengthy thread was that he was going to Kelly because of their ability to provide a quality education.  Education first.  When that fell through, the guardians decide the next best educational experience would be Central?   What about West Brook or Ozen?  They are BISD.  You stated that you can pick your home school in 9th grade, or when you move into the district?  Why Central over Ozen or West Brook?  Just curious.  

It DOES have to do with the transfer.  The first thing stated on this lengthy thread was that he was going to Kelly because of their ability to provide a quality education.  Education first.  When that fell through, the guardians decide the next best educational experience would be Central?   What about West Brook or Ozen?  They are BISD.  You stated that you can pick your home school in 9th grade, or when you move into the district?  Why Central over Ozen or West Brook?  Just curious.  

Because the kids live in the Central zone. Kelly and Legacy have no zones. So after we couldn't get him into Kelly, the guardian picked the attendance zone in which the kids reside. There are other factors to consider. The guardian has kids at St. Anthony's and Kelly. If he sent the Nigerian kids to Legacy, that would be three different schools that his family would have to shuttle kids to and from. Not an easy chore. At Central, they can just ride the bus. And no, they wouldn't be able to ride the bus to Ozen or West Brook from the Central attendance zone. So if the guardian would have picked Ozen or West Brook, wouldn't the folks at Central have the more relevant, legitimate question; "Why Ozen or West Brook, when they live in the Central zone?"   

Because the kids live in the Central zone. Kelly and Legacy have no zones. So after we couldn't get him into Kelly, the guardian picked the attendance zone in which the kids reside. There are other factors to consider. The guardian has kids at St. Anthony's and Kelly. If he sent the Nigerian kids to Legacy, that would be three different schools that his family would have to shuttle kids to and from. Not an easy chore. At Central, they can just ride the bus. And no, they wouldn't be able to ride the bus to Ozen or West Brook from the Central attendance zone. So if the guardian would have picked Ozen or West Brook, wouldn't the folks at Central have the more relevant, legitimate question; "Why Ozen or West Brook, when they live in the Central zone?"   

/thread

I would have thought Legacy Christian would have been a good alternative to Kelly.  They have a nice school, very student oriented, and a very knowledgeable basketball staff.  Sounded like the perfect fit.  

I find it interesting that if this kid had gone to Legacy, a lot of yall would be okay with that...hmm?