WOSgrad

Winning state titles comes with the price of scheduling conflicts

30 posts in this topic

29 minutes ago, EnjoyLife said:

I would like to have that problem.

Oh, I don't think you'll see Coach Thompson petitioning the UIL to take back their trophies.

However, it does cause quite a headache.  It is a big enough problem that he has to get 6 non-district games to fill a 10 game schedule.  You couple that with a quite lengthy list of schools that decline to play and the headache becomes one that Excedrin can't get rid of.

WOS should never have to leave the triangle to fill that schedule. Between PNG, Central, Westbrook, Nederland, Lumberton, Vidor, Jasper, and PAM, someone should be willing to play WOS yearly. If I was PNG, this game would always be on my schedule. Why is everyone so afraid of the competition?

Bronco94, png9mon, dj and 1 other like this

27 minutes ago, 2wedge said:

WOS should never have to leave the triangle to fill that schedule. Between PNG, Central, Westbrook, Nederland, Lumberton, Vidor, Jasper, and PAM, someone should be willing to play WOS yearly. If I was PNG, this game would always be on my schedule. Why is everyone so afraid of the competition?

Well, to be fair.  All of the above teams have fewer non-district games than the Mustangs.  If the new alignment somehow creates smaller 5A districts (which it may or may not do) that might create some more opportunities.

Alpha Wolf and 2wedge like this

Like grad said, the biggest problem is having to play 6 non-district games.  Most schools only play 2-3 and at most 4.  That leaves them looking for other schools that only have 4 or 5 teams in their district to schedule with.  I think all districts should have at least 8 teams, especially if you're going to take 4 to the playoffs.

Alpha Wolf, 2wedge and GCMNation5 like this

20 minutes ago, CCRed said:

I think all districts should have at least 8 teams, especially if you're going to take 4 to the playoffs.

Gotta have 16 districts 

2wedge likes this

In the last few years, I have made this exact point on this message board about more than a few teams being unwilling (downright DECLINING) to play WO-S, while they had the opportunity to agree to play. Several posters did not believe me, but now we see the information has gone public. Coach T has never been one to toot his own horn or try to get public attention for himself. But since the Bmt Enterprise decided to do this article, now everyone knows what at least a few of us have known for years. This same problem has existed for WO-S since the Dan Hooks years, but the difficulty to schedule teams has never been higher than it is now. 

Back2Back, dj and 2wedge like this

11 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Would love to see WOS vs. PAM

2wedge likes this

I noticed Thompson stated "Bridge City wound up with with a 21-day gap between a non-district loss to Newton and its district opener against Cleveland." So, how did BC do against Cleveland in the district opener? Why did the writer mention a non district loss if a more important district result is left omitted? BTW, BC 42, Cleveland 3.   

2wedge likes this

Some districts are probably smaller due to trying to cut down on long traveling games. I know they added Frankston to Newton's district. Frankston is the other side of Jacksonville. A lot of our fans cannot travel that far. That's a long drive on the old yellow dog. A major problem if our football bus breaks down and we have to get another bus brought down to make it to the game on time. Last year our cheer leader bus broke down, luckily we were only playing at Silsbee that night.

5 hours ago, Uncle Pig said:

Would love to see WOS vs. PAM

I would, too.  But apparently, one of the coaches who would have to agree to this game is one of those on the "list of 30" referenced in the article.

2wedge likes this

Kudos to KIPP, whoever they are.  WOS won't get a lot out of it, but at least they can suit up and get on the field with someone.  As a poster alluded to earlier, I bet any team would love to have this kind of problem.  Says volumes about the WOS program.

3 hours ago, ECBucFan said:

I noticed Thompson stated "Bridge City wound up with with a 21-day gap between a non-district loss to Newton and its district opener against Cleveland." So, how did BC do against Cleveland in the district opener? Why did the writer mention a non district loss if a more important district result is left omitted? BTW, BC 42, Cleveland 3.   

I agree, it adds nothing to the article by referencing a loss before the gap.  He even cuts himself off when he has DuBois admitting that it ended up not being a bad thing for them.

That being said, I am sure that he is glad that he doesn't have a repeat of that again this year.

19 hours ago, 2wedge said:

PNG scrimmages WOS, but I would love to see that game in the pre-season every year. Great teams & atmosphere.

18 hours ago, EaglesFootball said:

I'm pretty sure I heard one of the Newton coaches say that they are playing WOS in 2018 and 2019 seasons which is awesome in my opinion. 

That would be great, Newton usually provides a decent test for WO-S.

22 hours ago, EnjoyLife said:

I would like to have that problem.

I don't think it's a problem I'd like to have. From what the posters are saying here is WOS will not be as good as next year, but they still have a shot. If that's the case, this team may need to be battle tested before they get to the playoffs. If not, I give the advantage to Gilmer this year if they meet.

5 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

I would, too.  But apparently, one of the coaches who would have to agree to this game is one of those on the "list of 30" referenced in the article.

Yessir nothing to gain and everything to lose for PAM; if they beat them, big deal they're supposed to. If WOS beats PAM(which IMO could very easily happen) then it looks real bad for PAM.

Alpha Wolf likes this

23 hours ago, 2wedge said:

Nederland played them last year in non-district and will again this year.  I know PNG has had them on the schedule as well.   As far as 22-5a goes, losing a non-distict game because of the Livingston deal messed everyone up.

On 6/21/2017 at 2:58 PM, 2wedge said:

Well I'm pulling for Nelson and Thompson to put it on the schedule starting in 2018.  Central was playing them until Foreman and Thompson had a "conflict of interest"...

8 hours ago, WOSgrad said:

How about you get that list of 30 for us :)

Trivia question: Can anyone name the closest program geographically that actually has a winning record against WO-S all-time? Hint: it's not in Orange, Jefferson, Newton, Jasper, Liberty, Chambers or Hardin Counties.

27 minutes ago, Goblin said:

Trivia question: Can anyone name the closest program geographically that actually has a winning record against WO-S all-time? Hint: it's not in Orange, Jefferson, Newton, Jasper, Liberty, Chambers or Hardin Counties.

Baytown Lee

Goblin likes this