Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

37 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

No one is arguing that but that doesn't make it right for an adult to do what was done.  The "it's the age we live in" argument can be made in about an innumerable amount of things.  And with a great many of those things we are worse for the wear.  Right is right and wrong is wrong, today just as it was in the 50s when my parents were teenagers.  You choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution.  And, again, as adults we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.  

What about all the Adults around this young man who allowed him to act this way for weeks.....I recall an incident involving this young mann, where he was in the wrong, and his mom asked about it AND EVER LAST ADULT/coaches condone his action....No control

1 hour ago, One4All said:

What about all the Adults around this young man who allowed him to act this way for weeks.....I recall an incident involving this young mann, where he was in the wrong, and his mom asked about it AND EVER LAST ADULT/coaches condone his action....No control

Not justifying that either.  Two wrongs...  I don't listen to it with my kids ("but she did this first") and I especially expect adults to get the simple concept.  However upon reviewing the thread on Facebook and some comments the original poster has made to other kids (name calling, inviting them to come to his house and fight him), I guess the term "adult" isn't very appropo in this instance.  

1 hour ago, whsalum said:

What in the world is going on these days with high school athletes and social media ? A player "tweets" an apology to a player and a community ? The incident followed a "twitter war" ?? Good lord folks implement a team policy that bans this form of communication. If you want to do it on a personal level get after it but as far as a team is concerned just don't hit send.

And if kids don't think colleges have someone designated to look at their social media accounts when they are evaluating a student-athlete, they are sorely mistaken.  We often take up our kids' phones entirely when on road trips much to their chagrin.  But they spend way too much time on Twitter and Snapchat and not enough time focusing on the important things. Again, if I was a HS coach (or college for that manner), I would be issuing Twitter bans right and left for any indisrection...

Hand checking was used in the NBA by mostly guards who could put their hands on the opposing guard's body, slowing down his forward progress.  Rules have changed and hand checking is no longer used in the NBA.

I've watched Silsbee basketball for years.  I first began watching the Tigers in 1969. I can remember watching a Waldo Matthews game when I was 4.  I saw the great Wheatley teams of the late 60s early 70s.  The Yates teams, Ft Worth Dunbar etc.  They were all running and pressing teams.   Opposing teams either figured out a way a strategy to beat them or they got run out of the gym.  It was that simple.

I have yet to see a Silsbee guard push someone in the face.   They apply quick pressing defense and running offense.  The other teams in their district most of the times can't keep up.

There is a difference between hand checking and press defense.  Teams have been using pressing defenses since the game began.  If a team's guards cannot handle the press they need to work on their ball handling and passing skills. 

Having a rally just before the game is scheduled is not a good idea.  It sends out the wrong message. 

I hear ithe rally is now being held at the funeral home on 16th street.  I didn't know that place (funeral home) existed until a couple of years ago.  I grew up right next to that location.  We played sandlot football in that field where it is located.

17 hours ago, CardinalBacker said:

Nobody is upset about the the fight that happened... other than maybe the fact that it happens an awful lot when Silsbee faces anybody in any sport, pretty much. 

A fight is a fight. Suspensions were handed down. It is what it is. Running up the court to punch an unsuspecting player from behind, 50 feet from the actual fight is a completely different story. Since this kid's parents, team, and coaches have apparently not gotten that important lesson through to this young man, the duty to teach him this lesson has now fallen to school administration.  If they are still unable to convince this young man of the error of his ways, I suspect that the next person that tries to teach young Mr. McCain this valuable lesson will be wearing a black robe. 

Will Silsbee rally to support this young man the next time he attacks someone? I guess it depends on whether or not he's still playing for the Tigers.  

Hey Cardinalbacker, this topic has really made your day I see . From calling Devon a thug and no telling what you called him off the internet. We're not perfect, he made a mistake and he's getting punish for it. I can go on and on about what bridge city has said and done, so Log off, cause people tired of seeing your comments bashing a kid.

1 hour ago, CardinalBacker said:

Stop blaming people for posting the clip. Everybody including the attacker is aware that every second of the action is recorded. If you like to see yourself in hudl or other highlight reels, you shouldn't complain when somebody posts something negative, either. 

Yes everyone knows that but an adult should be more responsible than making a video of a minor public.  He could have withdrawn himself from it and turned it into the school. Or even the news media and the results would have been the same.

Guest ECBucFan
9 hours ago, undiscovered said:

I find it very interesting how quick people seem to change their feelings on certain situations.

When the Celina QB did what he did, many people on this site suggested he be suspended for the year including playoffs. The video was spread all over the internet and even put on this site for everyone to see, but nobody complained that he had a future and people shouldn't crucify him for a mistake that he made as a kid.

When the softball catcher a couple of years ago in the state championship game did what she did nobody on here was upset that the video went viral and some even called for the removal of her scholarship. Nobody on this site said "It was a mistake, we should give her another chance. She was just a kid in the heat of the moment."

Why is it that when its one of our own we seem to think differently? What makes this particular situation any different? IMO the only difference is this was a much more vicious assault that could have lead to very serious problems for the young man that was hit. 

You are exactly right. Some here wanted the TDCJ to execute the Celina QB. I was one of the very few who challenged that and I took the heat because of it. 

9 hours ago, undiscovered said:

I find it very interesting how quick people seem to change their feelings on certain situations.

When the Celina QB did what he did, many people on this site suggested he be suspended for the year including playoffs. The video was spread all over the internet and even put on this site for everyone to see, but nobody complained that he had a future and people shouldn't crucify him for a mistake that he made as a kid.

When the softball catcher a couple of years ago in the state championship game did what she did nobody on here was upset that the video went viral and some even called for the removal of her scholarship. Nobody on this site said "It was a mistake, we should give her another chance. She was just a kid in the heat of the moment."

Why is it that when its one of our own we seem to think differently? What makes this particular situation any different? IMO the only difference is this was a much more vicious assault that could have lead to very serious problems for the young man that was hit. 

Because Silsbee is one of SETX's babies.  It seems to me that some are truly more concerned with a Silsbee state championship than this kid possibly learning maybe one of the most valuable of lessons that can be learned.  Despite what people say.  If that weren't true then you wouldn't even see words like "unfair" or "too harsh".  I know that the KID made a huge mistake that he would probably undo in a heartbeat.  But even things that we don't mean to do and/or regret doing we have to be held accountable for.  Honestly, as a parent, my first thoughts were "What might I do if this were my kid?"  Either kid.  

If my kid did something like this to another kid nobody would have to worry about how many games he/she was suspended...because I wouldn't allow any more games to be played that season. And I can promise you that wouldn't be the end of it.  I understand "heat of the battle" as well as anyone.  I've tied up with teammates and opponents plenty of times during my playing years.  True competitors will get upset in certain competitive situations.  But blatantly attacking someone that isn't looking and defenseless is something else.  

If my kid were the one who got attacked:  I would think that a "rest of season" suspension was fair.  If it were anything less...or if it were changed because powers that be thought is was "too harsh", then I couldn't promise that I wouldn't file assault charges.  You're talking about an athlete of D1 caliber attacking another high school kid without them knowing it was coming.  Potentially dangerous.

So like I've said already...you Silsbee fans need to be thankful the punishment wasn't worse.  It doesn't look like it's life altering (in the big scheme of things) for him.  So accept it, and shift your focus to playing the remainder of the 16-17 season without him.

4 minutes ago, oldschool2 said:

Because Silsbee is one of SETX's babies.  It seems to me that some are truly more concerned with a Silsbee state championship than this kid possibly learning maybe one of the most valuable of lessons that can be learned.  Despite what people say.  If that weren't true then you wouldn't even see words like "unfair" or "too harsh".  I know that the KID made a huge mistake that he would probably undo in a heartbeat.  But even things that we don't mean to do and/or regret doing we have to be held accountable for.  Honestly, as a parent, my first thoughts were "What might I do if this were my kid?"  Either kid.  

If my kid did something like this to another kid nobody would have to worry about how many games he/she was suspended...because I wouldn't allow any more games to be played that season. And I can promise you that wouldn't be the end of it.  I understand "heat of the battle" as well as anyone.  I've tied up with teammates and opponents plenty of times during my playing years.  True competitors will get upset in certain competitive situations.  But blatantly attacking someone that isn't looking and defenseless is something else.  

If my kid were the one who got attacked:  I would think that a "rest of season" suspension was fair.  If it were anything less...or if it were changed because powers that be thought is was "too harsh", then I couldn't promise that I wouldn't file assault charges.  You're talking about an athlete of D1 caliber attacking another high school kid without them knowing it was coming.  Potentially dangerous.

So like I've said already...you Silsbee fans need to be thankful the punishment wasn't worse.  It doesn't look like it's life altering (in the big scheme of things) for him.  So accept it, and shift your focus to playing the remainder of the 16-17 season without him.

I agree with everything you have said except for one thing. Instead of "you Silsbee fans", it should be "some of you Silsbee fans". ;)

10 hours ago, TxHoops said:

No one is arguing that but that doesn't make it right for an adult to do what was done.  The "it's the age we live in" argument can be made in about an innumerable amount of things.  And with a great many of those things we are worse for the wear.  Right is right and wrong is wrong, today just as it was in the 50s when my parents were teenagers.  You choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution.  And, again, as adults we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.  

That is all well and good, but if you sucker punch someone in the head it is going to go viral period. I agree with you an adult shouldn't post it, but it is going to happen. If it wasn't this guy it would have been someone else. Bottom line is kid has to know better and shouldn't have done it he put his future in others hands. 

Are we really starting to shift blame from the player who cheap shot someone to the adult who posted the video?

and as someone else already stated, an apology on twitter?!? Seriously? That's like breaking up over text message!

If posting the video on Facebook is seen as unacceptable to y'all, then posting a apology on twitter should be as well.

This forum is about the extent of my social media, but to keep with the content of this thread, a video gonna video.  I have no problem with the fact that the video was posted, but the comments, as reported on here, are way out of line. 

Now my question is, when this player committed a similar incident at BC, was there any disciplinary action at that time?  Most Coaches I've looked up to and respected, would've probably sit him on the bench for at least a game.  If a Silsbee player gets a Tech for mouthing, do they get benched?  I'm certainly not a basketball expert, but I played (Stone Age) sports, and the Coaches were a God as for as discipline goes.  Sure, things are different, but most of the time, players actions are dictated by the Coach.  By what he allows.  By his discipline, or lack of.  I know that the situation can sometimes supersede all else, but constant disciplinary reminders by the Coach is a deterrent to a kid going all stupid like this.  Jmo.

Glad the young man is a Soph and will have two years to redeem himself.  And I'll be pulling for the Tigers to win State. 

As far as discipline for any earlier allegations.  We would not know unless someone within posted it as those matter are kept quiet within most if not all school districts.  And yes we had a player earlier this year suspended for 2 games for mouthing to a ref.  Which was a case where I don't think the player ever mouthed to the ref actually but was animated about getting the first call.  And in this instance I was sitting actually at the scorers table as close to the incident as you can get.

59 minutes ago, L-Train11 said:

Are we really starting to shift blame from the player who cheap shot someone to the adult who posted the video?

and as someone else already stated, an apology on twitter?!? Seriously? That's like breaking up over text message!

If posting the video on Facebook is seen as unacceptable to y'all, then posting a apology on twitter should be as well.

No one blaming him for the players actions. 

3 hours ago, Silsbeealum14 said:

Hey Cardinalbacker, this topic has really made your day I see . From calling Devon a thug and no telling what you called him off the internet. We're not perfect, he made a mistake and he's getting punish for it. I can go on and on about what bridge city has said and done, so Log off, cause people tired of seeing your comments bashing a kid.

He lives for this. He is the 1st person to jump on a thread and bash Silsbee any chance he gets.

45 minutes ago, ST413 said:

As far as discipline for any earlier allegations.  We would not know unless someone within posted it as those matter are kept quiet within most if not all school districts.  And yes we had a player earlier this year suspended for 2 games for mouthing to a ref.  Which was a case where I don't think the player ever mouthed to the ref actually but was animated about getting the first call.  And in this instance I was sitting actually at the scorers table as close to the incident as you can get.

Thanks for the response ST413.  Sounds like the Coach is trying, but as I implied in my post, sometimes the situation can simply just get out of hand.  To paraphrase an old TV show, Kids do the dardest things.  SISD has handled it.  Go Tigers.