Was Punishment to Hard on Devin Mccain

BADSANTA

1 hour ago, Who That said:

Looks like it mite be Silsbee JV and WOS playing Friday night. We will just haft to wate and see.

That would be a foolish move by the remainder of the Tigers on so many different levels.  Most notably, they expose themselves to potential punishment by Silsbee ISD.  This is already an unfortunate situation, but if the players carry through on the threat of not playing tomorrow, it could be disastrous.

4 minutes ago, WOSgrad said:

That would be a foolish move by the remainder of the Tigers on so many different levels.  Most notably, they expose themselves to potential punishment by Silsbee ISD.  This is already an unfortunate situation, but if the players carry through on the threat of not playing tomorrow, it could be disastrous.

Ow I" agree 100%........  They are all at the rally so we should know something later. Sad sad emotions have are boys by the neck.

Maybe if all of the social media talk would tone down or stop then these kids would not see this crap and giving them ideas I'm a tiger supporter but Devon got the suspension he deserves for what he did and the rest of the team is blessed they can still play it's has happened and it's done just move on to playoff basketball and try to win state .

5 minutes ago, MBaller#1 said:

Maybe if all of the social media talk would tone down or stop then these kids would not see this crap and giving them ideas I'm a tiger supporter but Devon got the suspension he deserves for what he did and the rest of the team is blessed they can still play it's has happened and it's done just move on to playoff basketball and try to win state .

I agree.  And all this social media can cause a lot of ills.  My son asked me yesterday after all the publicity, "Dad, what kind of a man would post that video on Facebook and Twitter and say he hopes a kid loses any scholarships offers he has?"   My response was, "Not much of one..."

I think these young men need to ask them selves when does it stop, If they are playing college ball and a fellow player is suspended are they going to sit out as well, how about NBA? 

Let this young man serve his punishment and then put it behind him. As I have said the process is rolling and he is on his way to being done. I, and I am sure many others will hold no ill will to him and hope that this will build his character. I did foolish things in my time and served my penance and I know it built my character.

Sitting out games, protesting, and continuing things even like this thread is non-constructive and continues to divide our district and this area.  

Good luck Mr. McCain I said in an earlier thread I was a big fan of yours but I was no longer. That was jumping the gun and a foolish thing to say on my part. I am a big fan since I coached against you in little league football, and will continue to be as long as your good character shines through and I am sure it will.  

this will be my last post on the issue

52 minutes ago, Zawk007 said:

Clarification. Is your comment about the video or losing scholarships?

Honestly I know many will look at this and view my statement as biased because of being a Tiger fan and yes a Devon fan.  But I would say both. This is a minor not an adult.  Yes he made a big mistake.  But how many of us didn't make big mistakes when we were young.  I know I did.  And I know many have kids that have made big mistakes.  Yes Devons actions warrant a punishment and he has accepted it even if many of us adults haven't.  

Now to get back to why my answe is both.  He is a minor but no adult should make a video like this public.  He should have taken it to the administration and let them go through the channels to handle the situation.  And as far as the statement,  a child's future should in not be ruined by one rash decision in such a moment.  He should be able to prove he has seen his error and become the person he should be and receive anything he deserves at that point.  If the actions continue throughout the rest of his high school career,  then I am sure those scholarship offers will be taken away.

Honestly it makes you wonder what motives or issues an adult has when he takes actions like this against a minor.  

Definitely a tough situation, but the Punishment must be FIRM & JUST. (I know the punishment has been issued)   If Parents, Coaches, Mentors would follow these guidelines we would have less incidents like this. Kids & Adults may not agree with the outcome, but they will Learn to RESPECT it. I believe this incident will have a far lasting effect on all involved. Hopefully there can be closure for All families and both schools. We never want to see anything like this in any aspect of life.  I'll leave with this side note.  I've benefited from Basketball since the first day I ever suited up. My Family and I are still reaping the rewards of this great game.  Respect the game and it can take care of you for LIFE.

3 minutes ago, team first said:

Remember this wasn't his first time. But yet everyone was assuming i was making it up because I wouldn't post a video on the kid. Some other child may actually be lucky someone did post it. 

You did right in my eyes not posting one.  I know Devon and know his personality.  I have said and I won't make any excuse for his action.  But my point on the last comment was as an adult that video should have been turned over to LCM ISD and let them handle it through the proper channels. Not put it online.  Sure the behavior needs discipline but give him a chance to learn from it and become better.  Sure I understand many feel that it wasn't getting taken care of from past accusations. If that's how he felt then handing it to his sons school to handle it was the way to go.

1 hour ago, Zawk007 said:

Clarification. Is your comment about the video or losing scholarships?

If you were asking me, I agree with ST413.  Both.   The mere posting of the video was done to call a 16 year old out by an adult.  I think that was childish in and of itself.  A parent from Silsbee could have posted a video of his son getting sucker punched but has stated he had no desire to do so or even to call that opposing player out.  Moreover, he has stated he forgives the kid and wishes him the best.  

To make matters worse, I've read on social media where the guy who plastered the video all over social media that he hopes Devon loses all his scholarship offers (I read his comments).  So he obviously posted it with malicious intent. Yes, I know the same argument is made about Devon's actions.  But we as adults, and parents, should be better than that.  But I guess congrats to the guy.  He had a video go viral and let everyone around know about a kid's grave mistake.  

Just to make a point, in the game prior to this fiasco, my own child was subjected to a play that most everyone on here would consider very dirty.  It involved a kid who was involved in the fiasco on Tuesday.  And it no doubt happened because that kid was frustrated over the play that just occurred.  I didn't get the video and post it.  I didn't even comment about it at the time.  And i wouldn't call the kid by name here.  I don't see the benefit for anyone.  It was missed by the officials and I have no idea if his coach saw it at the time or on film.  I assume if he did he at least had  conversation with the kid. 

In closing, you guys are probably aware of this but there is a reason we have a different judicial process in this state (and country) for juveniles. Their proceedings are held in private, the information is sealed, and their records are cleared and not accessible when they reached adulthood.  Why?  Because we don't want people having mistakes made as kids following them around for the rest of their lives. 

I view this whole ordeal in the same manner.  

25 minutes ago, ST413 said:

Honestly I know many will look at this and view my statement as biased because of being a Tiger fan and yes a Devon fan.  But I would say both. This is a minor not an adult.  Yes he made a big mistake.  But how many of us didn't make big mistakes when we were young.  I know I did.  And I know many have kids that have made big mistakes.  Yes Devons actions warrant a punishment and he has accepted it even if many of us adults haven't.  

Now to get back to why my answe is both.  He is a minor but no adult should make a video like this public.  He should have taken it to the administration and let them go through the channels to handle the situation.  And as far as the statement,  a child's future should in not be ruined by one rash decision in such a moment.  He should be able to prove he has seen his error and become the person he should be and receive anything he deserves at that point.  If the actions continue throughout the rest of his high school career,  then I am sure those scholarship offers will be taken away.

Honestly it makes you wonder what motives or issues an adult has when he takes actions like this against a minor.  

I tell my young players all the time: Don't make a mistake that cost you your FREEDOM or your LIFE.  It doesn't matter if he's a minor, unfortunately the young man put himself into an Adult situation. I'm not the judge or the jury. I totally understand what you are saying, but it's out of our control. He put his Future in the hands of people who personally that may not know his character. He has a Testimony now. He now has a platform to Educate others on this incident.

3 minutes ago, Bigcam2903 said:

I tell my young players all the time: Don't make a mistake that cost you your FREEDOM or your LIFE.  It doesn't matter if he's a minor, unfortunately the young man put himself into an Adult situation. I'm not the judge or the jury. I totally understand what you are saying, but it's out of our control. He put his Future in the hands of people who personally that may not know his character. He has a Testimony now. He now has a platform to Educate others on this incident.

I totally understand that.  My statement although I went off on a tangent was just in response to the question of why one would think down on the adult poster of the video. And my disagreement with going viral with the video. There were other more appropriate ways to go about it.

It is the world we live in nowadays. You do something like this the video is going to get out period. Right, wrong, or indifferent you can argue about how things should or shouldn't be, but it is what it is. You do or say something in a public setting good chance it is coming out one way or another. 

I find it very interesting how quick people seem to change their feelings on certain situations.

When the Celina QB did what he did, many people on this site suggested he be suspended for the year including playoffs. The video was spread all over the internet and even put on this site for everyone to see, but nobody complained that he had a future and people shouldn't crucify him for a mistake that he made as a kid.

When the softball catcher a couple of years ago in the state championship game did what she did nobody on here was upset that the video went viral and some even called for the removal of her scholarship. Nobody on this site said "It was a mistake, we should give her another chance. She was just a kid in the heat of the moment."

Why is it that when its one of our own we seem to think differently? What makes this particular situation any different? IMO the only difference is this was a much more vicious assault that could have lead to very serious problems for the young man that was hit. 

9 minutes ago, Eagles12 said:

It is the world we live in nowadays. You do something like this the video is going to get out period. Right, wrong, or indifferent you can argue about how things should or shouldn't be, but it is what it is. You do or say something in a public setting good chance it is coming out one way or another. 

No one is arguing that but that doesn't make it right for an adult to do what was done.  The "it's the age we live in" argument can be made in about an innumerable amount of things.  And with a great many of those things we are worse for the wear.  Right is right and wrong is wrong, today just as it was in the 50s when my parents were teenagers.  You choose to be part of the problem or part of the solution.  And, again, as adults we should hold ourselves to a higher standard.  

47 minutes ago, TxHoops said:

If you were asking me, I agree with ST413.  Both.   The mere posting of the video was done to call a 16 year old out by an adult.  I think that was childish in and of itself.  A parent from Silsbee could have posted a video of his son getting sucker punched but has stated he had no desire to do so or even to call that opposing player out.  Moreover, he has stated he forgives the kid and wishes him the best.  

To make matters worse, I've read on social media where the guy who plastered the video all over social media that he hopes Devon loses all his scholarship offers (I read his comments).  So he obviously posted it with malicious intent. Yes, I know the same argument is made about Devon's actions.  But we as adults, and parents, should be better than that.  But I guess congrats to the guy.  He had a video go viral and let everyone around know about a kid's grave mistake.  

Just to make a point, in the game prior to this fiasco, my own child was subjected to a play that most everyone on here would consider very dirty.  It involved a kid who was involved in the fiasco on Tuesday.  And it no doubt happened because that kid was frustrated over the play that just occurred.  I didn't get the video and post it.  I didn't even comment about it at the time.  And i wouldn't call the kid by name here.  I don't see the benefit for anyone.  It was missed by the officials and I have no idea if his coach saw it at the time or on film.  I assume if he did he at least had  conversation with the kid. 

In closing, you guys are probably aware of this but there is a reason we have a different judicial process in this state (and country) for juveniles. Their proceedings are held in private, the information is sealed, and their records are cleared and not accessible when they reached adulthood.  Why?  Because we don't want people having mistakes made as kids following them around for the rest of their lives. 

I view this whole ordeal in the same manner.  

I missed this great post.

24 minutes ago, BLUEDOVE3 said:

Well,  I see where the national sports media is supporting a forgive Grayson Allen at Duke media campaign. Saying he deserves a second chance. 

Also,  I'm getting reports certain educators are /have sent video to Baylor. That's sad. 

Grayson Allen is a punk! IMO, He should have been suspended for the season for all of his shenanigans. His punishment was too easy. 

What in the world is going on these days with high school athletes and social media ? A player "tweets" an apology to a player and a community ? The incident followed a "twitter war" ?? Good lord folks implement a team policy that bans this form of communication. If you want to do it on a personal level get after it but as far as a team is concerned just don't hit send.